• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Risen could work for Fire Emblem.

I'm really more surprised about Wario not getting any enemies consider how Wario Land is rich of them. You got Fronks for the Warioware side I guess.

Golnei

Risen could work for Fire Emblem.

I was thinking along similar lines - the Revenant class in particular would fit very well in Smash Run.

Revenant.jpg

It even has pre-existing palette swaps to use!

Pyrokai

Do you pro-Smash players use buttons for jumping or the up stick?

I've used up on the stick to jump since, like, the original, but I'm just now discovering it's hard to use the up-on-the-ground attack (like Mario's up punch) without jumping first.

Is there a way around that or do I just have to turn the stickjump off? :(

emb

Do you pro-Smash players use buttons for jumping or the up stick?

I've used up on the stick to jump since, like, the original, but I'm just now discovering it's hard to use the up-on-the-ground attack (like Mario's up punch) without jumping first.

Is there a way around that or do I just have to turn the stickjump off? :(
Push the stick half way up when you go for the uptilt. If you just lightly push the stick, you won't do the jump, but you'll get enough direction to do the attack.

If you prefer to jump with the stick, that's ok. Some things are easier when using the buttons, and I definitely prefer them though. For almost everything though, tap jump is fine if you like it.

Durden77

I wanna join the screenshot party. Kinda lame but...here is my contribution! And I'm calling it The Adventures of Shulk.

1yGDmCa.jpg

Shulk: Hey Fiora, what are you doing here? Wanna join me swim?
Fiora: Yes Shulk...<blushing>...and also...

4PInkhe.jpg

Fiora: I brought you some sandwich! I made them for you!
Shulk: Wow Fiora! Thanks! Eating it now...

X9oe8Mi.jpg

Shulk: It tastes good!
Fiora: Really? You're not just making that up, are you?
Shulk: Yeah it is! But...I want some curry right now, not sandwich.
Fiora: Oh...Don't eat it if you don't like it! Hmmmmp!

p29G04g.jpg

Falco: Hands off my bread!
Fiora: Hey! This is not yours! I made these!
Shulk: And it's not just bread...it's a sandwich.
Falco: Uh...wrong game. Sorry :p
Shulk: Let's just go back Fiora.
Fiora: Okay...I guess.
Falco: Hey...uh...can I have some sandwich?

Falco entrance FTW

RomanceDawn

Hey are the trophies in the shop exclusive to the shop? Or do I have a chance to find them elsewhere?

Also where is the best place to get outfits?

I'm really more surprised about Wario not getting any enemies consider how Wario Land is rich of them. You got Fronks for the Warioware side I guess.

I want her as a Smash Run enemy.

I wish they aimed for at least one enemy per franchise. Honestly, I can't think of any series that doesn't have anything suitable, except maybe Punch Out. Give Animal Crossing a scorpion and Wii Fit this.

joelseph

Hey are the trophies in the shop exclusive to the shop? Or do I have a chance to find them elsewhere?

Also where is the best place to get outfits?

Follow up shop question. Does it offer you trophies you already own? And if so is it related to the trophy being silhouetted?

Follow up shop question. Does it offer you trophies you already own? And if so is it related to the trophy being silhouetted?

I can answer this one (I'm not sure if there are shop specific trophies), yes, the silhouette means you don't own it. If it's colored in, you already own the trophy.

Durden77

Been playing a lot of Smash Run for these challenges. I'm starting to come around on it, but there's still some big issues. One thing is that it would be much more fun with other people, but if I'm just now starting to enjoy it I doubt it'd click with anyone else quickly enough. Also the final battle is still too random and quick. Because of that, it doesn't truly feel like you're working towards anything.

Shame, it has the potential to be such an awesome mode. Hell it'd be 5x better if you could just actually interact with the other players on the map.

Golnei

I want her as a Smash Run enemy.

I wish they aimed for at least one enemy per franchise. Honestly, I can't think of any series that doesn't have anything suitable, except maybe Punch Out. Give Animal Crossing a scorpion and Wii Fit this.

For Punch-Out, perhaps they could have King Hippo as a mid-boss enemy; similar to the Bulborbs? He's not as humanoid as the other boxers (save for DK, of course), and the relative rarity he'd spawn with would reduce the weirdness of having multiple copies appear.

-PXG-

So we got new secret characters on the Smashbros site today.... why aren't they linked from the ? blocks in the op?

There are thoughts out there, but you'll have to look around. I think Zero did pretty good video overviews of like, half the cast.

There's obviously no real tier list, but apparently this came from Japan. It's based on just a couple tournaments. Guaranteed to be wrong, but I'm glad we have something to look back at years from now.

Yeah it's VERY early to determine solid tiers but it's not surprising at all to see Bowser, Greninja and Yoshi so high up. From my experience, all of them are really good, especially Yoshi. He is straight up dirty and basically has no weakness. He has everything. No landing lag, recovery lag, shield lag/ delay, insane range, huge hit boxes that stay active a long time, unpredictable projectiles... Just everything. So many tools and tech. Disgusting. I shit myself when I play against Yoshi.

Bowser is tough but beatable. You just have to be patient and nor be wreckless. A few hits and you're dead. I haven't faced a super skilled Greninja yet, but messing with him, it's obvious that he has potential. Lots of combo ability with him. I'd watch out for him.

ugoo18

How are you all unlocking the 50 hours of Smash quickly?

Just had a 99 minute FFA with 3 lvl 1 CPUs after a 99 stock battle with a lvl 9 CPU (Going for the 50km/31mi challenge as well).

Azure J

Never thought I'd see the day when Bowser and Yoshi were contenders for top tier and I'd be in agreement with the suggestion. :lol

Raptomex

I did it with Yoshi (as well as the 110 kills in 3-minute smash and 100-man-smash in less than 3 minutes). Just jump high, Down+B over and over, as well as dash-A and Up-Smash moves. Yoshi makes it pretty easy, particularly since not much interrupts his second jump.
Amazing. I did it with Yoshi. Thanks.

I had about 5-6 consecutive matches(and losses) last night against some guy who would only pick Toon Link and would only spam all projectiles in rapid succession over and over and over and over again and I found myself getting as heated and angry as I did against my really proficient friends back in the days of melee. It was painful and awesome in a way.. though I have to say, the Toon Link player lacked creativity and and his fighting style was as broken as it was boring. As soon as I found a character that let me close the gap and overwhelm him he quickly bailed so he wouldn't lose. What a douche.

lol

Durden77

Never thought I'd see the day when Bowser and Yoshi were contenders for top tier and I'd be in agreement with the suggestion. :lol

One of the few characters I'm pretty damn sure will stay at the top throughout the meta is Yoshi. Even from just playing him a few times, he just feels reaaaallly godlike in this game.

I've barely played as Yoshi at all so far (been focusing mainly on my, uh, mains). Anyone got some video footage/write-ups on why he's so good this time?

kimtish

Neo Member
Doing WORK with triple D. Really like his changes in smash 4

Watched a couple videos. He's a ton of fun. (literally)

Jaeger

Just when I was about to beat this really irritating "Looks like a Melee player!" Fox, out of nowhere after having literally zero lag, the whole game froze, and it was obviously the CPU taking over once it resumed.

I'm pretty sure he dropped out because he didn't want to lose?

Just when I was about to beat this really irritating "Looks like a Melee player!" Fox, out of nowhere after having literally zero lag, the whole game froze, and it was obviously the CPU taking over once it resumed.

I'm pretty sure he dropped out because he didn't want to lose?
Had that happen to a bowser jr player last night. Don't know if he quit or just got dropped.

Pyrokai

Push the stick half way up when you go for the uptilt. If you just lightly push the stick, you won't do the jump, but you'll get enough direction to do the attack.

If you prefer to jump with the stick, that's ok. Some things are easier when using the buttons, and I definitely prefer them though. For almost everything though, tap jump is fine if you like it.

Cool, thanks for the advice!

gosox333

I have yet to see Charizard, Diddy, ROB, or Pikachu in over 350 glory matches.

I thought Diddy was a really popular character from Brawl, too.

Masked Man

I said wow
Just played 15 rounds of Mac vs. Marth and won 12. Had a really unfortunate input error one time (meant to Up-B, accidentally used Side-B), and the other two were just good edgeguards against my overly aggressive playstyle. For Glory has definitely been helpful in terms of shaping my play, and learning what does and doesn't work. It's hella frustrating at times, but still a lot of fun in the end!

emb

You wanna settle this? In Smash?

What counts as a combo though? In past smash games you just hold one move against a big character against a wall. Who has an infinite?
Almost everyone has a finishing blow to their jab. Characters that don't like Pikachu get pushed back.

Go with the smartbomb thing. Spawn all you can, then blow one up.

I have yet to see Charizard, Diddy, ROB, or Pikachu in over 350 glory matches.

I thought Diddy was a really popular character from Brawl, too.
Diddy was one of the more technical characters in Brawl (to use right anyway) so not a whole lot picked him up.

I see lots of Flare Blitz spamming Charizards though. :x

I've barely played as Yoshi at all so far (been focusing mainly on my, uh, mains). Anyone got some video footage/write-ups on why he's so good this time?

The biggest advantage is that the new game physics simply benefited him nicely. Yoshi has a strong ground and air game with no glaring weaknesses and multiple options to attack and defend.

- safe dash that can tech chase (keeps travelling if they shield so can't punish after)
- he's heavy
- he can recover safely (!)
- lots of combo potential; dash attacks from tilts, u tilt, strings of u air, egg throw to finish aerial combos
- several viable kill moves; U smash, F smash, b air, u air, f air
- egg roll is improved and actually usable

However, I think people are overreacting and don't think yoshi will be S tier. His grab is still weak and he struggles against characters with strong grab games that can just shield through him. Dedede, captain falcon and little mac all beat yoshi in my opinion.

The game is new and I'm sure there are more mechanics to be discovered but I see yoshi sitting in the middle of high tier as things stand at present.

Can't Yoshi roll cancel grab? That would help his grab game big time. I haven't tried it out yet, though.

One thing about Yoshi is that he's rally versatile in this game and can play many roles. He really excels in camping and rushdown, and can easily switch between the two. Egg Throw is really fantastic and tricky to avoid.

What's different between Pit and Dark Pit?
Side B, Neutral B and Final Smash. No different normal properties or anything.

Top Bottom