• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

-PXG-

You wanna settle this? In Smash?

What counts as a combo though? In past smash games you just hold one move against a big character against a wall. Who has an infinite?

Next time me and the lady argue about dinner....

U WANNA SETTLE DIS IN SMASH?!?!?!

Love it

Letep

Is the trick to unlocking all the characters within replaying classic smash until they're all unlocked?

Because I got a few unlockable characters, now I'm getting hats for my Mii Fighter.

Azure J

The biggest advantage is that the new game physics simply benefited him nicely. Yoshi has a strong ground and air game with no glaring weaknesses and multiple options to attack and defend.

- safe dash that can tech chase (keeps travelling if they shield so can't punish after)
- he's heavy
- he can recover safely (!)
- lots of combo potential; dash attacks from tilts, u tilt, strings of u air, egg throw to finish aerial combos
- several viable kill moves; U smash, F smash, b air, u air, f air
- egg roll is improved and actually usable

However, I think people are overreacting and don't think yoshi will be S tier. His grab is still weak and he struggles against characters with strong grab games that can just shield through him. Dedede, captain falcon and little mac all beat yoshi in my opinion.

The game is new and I'm sure there are more mechanics to be discovered but I see yoshi sitting in the middle of high tier as things stand at present.

I'm not in disagreement with you but "contenders for top tier" = high tier at the least. Another thing about the character that you touched on, he racks up damage FAST on a good sequence. Other characters have extended things that an become subject to better player's DI or vectoring once that becomes the norm in matches. Yoshi ignores this and up tilts you into flutter kick dair or any number of strings that put on 50% or more rapidly.

I think I just played Anth0ny in For Glory. Used Sheik, destroyed my Pac-Man and barely lost to my Dr Mario.
I think I played him yesterday. First game he went Marth against my Greninja and second game was his Sheik against my Charizard. At least, I don't know of any other Anthony's that would pull out Sheik after losing. :)

random25

Since I'm kinda exhausted doing for glory for several hours, I'm just gonna continue with my snapshot galore. Here's Adventures of Shulk Part 2!
You don't mind me spoiling some stuff, right? :p

Arriving at the entrance of the village:

TtDzflE.jpg

Shulk: What's happening here?
Fiora: Looks like we're under attack!

xZ7lUK9.jpg

Shulk: Mechons! How did they pass our defense system!?
Fiora: We're completely surrounded Shulk!
Shulk: Don't worry Fiora! I got this!

Z56Z451.jpg

Shulk: Feel the power of the Monado! Hya!
Fiora: I'm going all out too, Shulk!
Shulk: Just be careful, Fiora! Your weapons won't wor---

hKhp0aL.jpg

Shulk: A giant Mechon! It's Metal Face!
Fiora: Kyaaaaa!
Shulk: Fioraaaaaaa!

mPLZJhX.jpg

Fiora: Shulk...I'm...sorry...Everything has gone...blurry...
Shulk: Fioraaaaaaa! Metal Face...I'M GONNA KILL YOU!

jqviDAH.jpg

Shulk: Hya! Huaaa! Air Slash!

Y1mAQnh.jpg

Shulk: Why is my attack not working!?

AO4Sr7s.jpg

Shulk: Come back here! We're not done yet!

biFI7w2.jpg

Reyn: What happened in the village, Shulk!? Where's Fiora?
Shulk: Fiora's...listen Reyn! We'll chase that Mechon and get revenge for Fiora!

yKosB6V.jpg

Shulk: ...what happened to you Reyn? You look old...green...you are ill Reyn.
Reyn: I'm perfectly fine, Shulk! I just got diarrhea after eating Fiora's sandwich! But I'm okay now!
Shulk: I'm afraid you gotta stay. Guess it's Shulk Time now, Reyn.
Reyn: B-b-but we're best buddies Shulk! Don't leave me behind! Shulk! SHUUUUUULK!
cue in Metal Gear Game Over music :p

Grakl

Been playing a lot of Smash Run for these challenges. I'm starting to come around on it, but there's still some big issues. One thing is that it would be much more fun with other people, but if I'm just now starting to enjoy it I doubt it'd click with anyone else quickly enough. Also the final battle is still too random and quick. Because of that, it doesn't truly feel like you're working towards anything.

Shame, it has the potential to be such an awesome mode. Hell it'd be 5x better if you could just actually interact with the other players on the map.

I really liked Smash Run as soon as I started playing it. It really is more fun with more than one player, but it's already fine how it is. I definitely wish you could interact with other players in the map, but oh well. The most you can do is send bob-bombs to blow up other (human) players.

I play for the ride though, not the payoff -- I really enjoy the actual PvE aspect.

Dr. Buni

I have yet to see Charizard, Diddy, ROB, or Pikachu in over 350 glory matches.

I thought Diddy was a really popular character from Brawl, too.
My first match was against a Diddy. I have yet to see a Bowser Jr. though (who happens to be my main in the game).
What's different between Pit and Dark Pit?
One of them is annoyingly goofy and cheerful, the other is edgy as hell.

Dimmle

Anyone have tips for the incredibly specific matchup of Mega Man versus Zelda? Almost everything the little guy has can be shut down or interrupted by Nayru's Love.

inb4 "don't use Mega Man," you will never understand our love

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've never taken Smash Bros seriously - always just had extremely casual matches on 64 with my sister and GC with my friends. Hell, I just learned about sidestepping yesterday.

But I LOVE Smash 3DS, and want to learn to hold my own online. Casual play, I don't think, is gonna help me. I want to speak with the lexicon lots of you have... I have no idea what half these things mean right now.

Thoughts?

Couple questions: I've ALWAYS main'd Young Link, and so I'm moving onto adult Link. Really just cause he's my favorite Nintendo character. But am I gonna get whopped not choosing one of the "main" players the serious players are picking?

Secondly, does the meta game eventually ruin the fun? I don't like the idea of "you're only a serious contender if you play with X character against Y character all of the time."

I think all the Darks should be clones.

Dark Samus would have phazon power and stuff.
Dark Mario has the paintbrush.
Dark Link could use different Link tools. Hammer, magic wands, things like that.
Dark Toon Link, the same.
Dark Pit does whatever it is Dark Pit does.

Is there a Dark Kirby? It feels like there should be. He has a Dark color scheme, but that may be a Bob-Omb easter egg.

I have yet to see Charizard, Diddy, ROB, or Pikachu in over 350 glory matches.

I thought Diddy was a really popular character from Brawl, too.

I use Charizard a lot on For Glory. I also battled a damn good charizard, who beat me, recently. ROB and Pikachu I've seen once, Diddy never. Some other characters never as well.

Do you guys have any rotation of characters you use on online battles? When I get a new opponent, I almost always use, in order:

Ganondorf -> Samus -> Zelda -> Pacman -> Charizard -> Sheik -> Any other character

I'd say Zelda and Samus are my two strongest. If I train a lot with Sheik, she might end up as my strongest.

Zelda is reaaaally great online because it seems everybody has trouble anticipating teleports. It's a shame she probably won't be top tier. I've been playing as her since Melee, just waiting for her time to shine.

Dr. Buni

I think all the Darks should be clones.

Dark Samus would have phazon power and stuff.
Dark Mario has the paintbrush.
Dark Link could use different Link tools. Hammer, magic wands, things like that.
Dark Toon Link, the same.
Dark Pit does whatever it is Dark Pit does.

Is there a Dark Kirby? It feels like there should be. He has a Dark color scheme, but that may be a Bob-Omb easter egg.
So Dark Mario, Link and Toon Link wouldn't be clones :p

Dark Kirby is called Meta Knight

Neki

I had about 5-6 consecutive matches(and losses) last night against some guy who would only pick Toon Link and would only spam all projectiles in rapid succession over and over and over and over again and I found myself getting as heated and angry as I did against my really proficient friends back in the days of melee. It was painful and awesome in a way.. though I have to say, the Toon Link player lacked creativity and and his fighting style was as broken as it was boring. As soon as I found a character that let me close the gap and overwhelm him he quickly bailed so he wouldn't lose. What a douche.
I'm sorry...? That's all I do, lol.

random25

Anyone have tips for the incredibly specific matchup of Mega Man versus Zelda? Almost everything the little guy has can be shut down or interrupted by Nayru's Love.

inb4 "don't use Mega Man," you will never understand our love

Don't outright use buster attacks. Mix by throwing projectiles alternately then approach when she tries to block or when attacks connect. Top Spin or slide can throw her off the ground. Check where she falls and use up smash or down smash to deal larger damage. If those connect, it will leave her airborne and you can do the same attack again or connect some aerial attacks. Buster must be executed fast and at close range before she reacts with Nayru's Love

Monster Zero

Tier list are silly atm, so how about you personally rank your Main/second/etc. I'm curious to know if people are satisfied with how their old mains returned

Kirby: As of a few days ago he was hovering mid low, to low tier for me, his tilt game got buffed, but his KO options were still unsafe, until this foxtrotting came about, I'm breakdancing into foward smashes now. These techs are nuts

Game and watch: definitely a mid tier, nerfed our bucket wall, but beefed up everything else. Bacon guarding is buffed, and they took away the chain grab D:. Keyblade otg's off the sweet spot for easy KO's, turtle comes out faster, chair range got shorter, but sweet spot KO's better. Manhole is still a beast at making space. Scuba gear has priority over most dair, I gotta test it more. Fish bowl has knockback on the actual fish now.

I use Charizard a lot on For Glory. I also battled a damn good charizard, who beat me, recently. ROB and Pikachu I've seen once, Diddy never. Some other characters never as well.

Do you guys have any rotation of characters you use on online battles? When I get a new opponent, I almost always use, in order:

Ganondorf -> Samus -> Zelda -> Pacman -> Charizard -> Sheik -> Any other character

I'd say Zelda and Samus are my two strongest. If I train a lot with Sheik, she might end up as my strongest.

Zelda is reaaaally great online because it seems everybody has trouble anticipating teleports. It's a shame she probably won't be top tier. I've been playing as her since Melee, just waiting for her time to shine.
I started out with my main mario and over the last few days have rotated in greninja and mega man. The next two in my rotation will be pit and bowser.

So Dark Mario, Link and Toon Link wouldn't be clones :p

Dark Kirby is called Meta Knight

Well, clone-ish. Same normals but some unique specials.

Okay, so Dark Kirby is Meta Knight.
Dark Fox is Wolf.
Dark Zelda is Hilda.

We could stretch this premise so far you could see through it.

I guess the opposite of Dark Pokemon would be Shiny Pokemon, right?

Golnei

Shadow_Kirby_art.png

Screenshot_%2894.1%29.png

There's Shadow Kirby, but his abilities are exactly the same as regular Kirby's. Much like Dark Pit and Metaknight, he's also not ultimately an enemy despite occasionally serving an antagonistic role.

Monster Zero

I pretty much start with game and watch, and switch to Kirby if the competition is really good, lil mac for mix ups, and shulk cause I like using bad characters every now and then.

emb

I've never taken Smash Bros seriously - always just had extremely casual matches on 64 with my sister and GC with my friends. Hell, I just learned about sidestepping yesterday.

But I LOVE Smash 3DS, and want to learn to hold my own online. Casual play, I don't think, is gonna help me. I want to speak with the lexicon lots of you have... I have no idea what half these things mean right now.

Thoughts?

Couple questions: I've ALWAYS main'd Young Link, and so I'm moving onto adult Link. Really just cause he's my favorite Nintendo character. But am I gonna get whopped not choosing one of the "main" players the serious players are picking?

Secondly, does the meta game eventually ruin the fun? I don't like the idea of "you're only a serious contender if you play with X character against Y character all of the time."
If you don't know what the jargon means, just ask. We like answering questions!

Picking a weaker character is not forbidden. We don't really know how good the Links are (some of the bomb tricks look pretty useful). They seem viable. I fought a Gaffer a couple days ago with a Link that made my characters look useless. The disparity doesn't seem huge, so it's at least worth a shot.

The meta game does usually find a smaller subset of better characters, yeah. You'll always have low tier heroes though, and there's nothing wrong with that. If playing a character is important to you, regardless of how they compare to other characters, go for it.

Dr. Buni

Well, clone-ish. Same normals but some unique specials.

Okay, so Dark Kirby is Meta Knight.
Dark Fox is Wolf.
Dark Zelda is Hilda.

We could stretch this premise so far you could see through it.
Dark Luigi could be Mr. L, Dark Peach could be Shadow Queen, there is a Dark Bowser in Mario & Luigi 3, etc
I guess the opposite of Dark Pokemon would be Shiny Pokemon, right?
Hm... Not really. The dark Pokémon clones could be Shadow Pokémon, the concept exist in one of those console Pokémon spin-offs.

Grakl

Tier list are silly atm, so how about you personally rank your Main/second/etc. I'm curious to know if people are satisfied with how their old mains returned

Kirby: As of a few days ago he was hovering mid low, to low tier for me, his tilt game got buffed, but his KO options were still unsafe, until this foxtrotting came about, I'm breakdancing into foward smashes now. These techs are nuts

Game and watch: definitely a mid tier, nerfed our bucket wall, but beefed up everything else. Bacon guarding is buffed, and they took away the chain grab D:. Keyblade otg's off the sweet spot for easy KO's, turtle comes out faster, chair range got shorter, but sweet spot KO's better. Manhole is still a beast at making space. Scuba gear has priority over most dair, I gotta test it more. Fish bowl has knockback on the actual fish now.

Ganondorf: sucks

Ganondorf with custom moves: the best

Dimmle

Don't outright use buster attacks. Mix by throwing projectiles alternately then approach when she tries to block or when attacks connect. Top Spin or slide can throw her off the ground. Check where she falls and use up smash or down smash to deal larger damage. If those connect, it will leave her airborne and you can do the same attack again or connect some aerial attacks. Buster must be executed fast and at close range before she reacts with Nayru's Love
Good stuff! I've also noticed that Top Spin cannot pierce Nayru's Love, but the slide can.

I love Mega Man. He has barely any built-in routines so you have to be super innovative with his moveset.

Hey smashgaf,
How do I dedede? He's such a unique character I can't really figure out how to use him.

His grab is HUGE and he hits like a truck but he controls so unlike other characters, even other heavy characters.

Tips for DeDeDe?

I'll try, I've had surprising success with him even though he got worse.

Jab, F-tilt, D-tilt, N-air, and grab are his best options at lower percents. His jab and F-tilt have pretty good range and start quickly. D-tilt gives him some mobility and is good for catching rolls and air dodges, and if done near the edge it could lead to aerials. N-air is quick, lasts a while and pops people up. If they're close enough to the ground you could U-tilt them a few times after it. And I love his back and forward throws, nice and reliable just like Brawl.

F-air and B-air are the go-to aerial chasers. You could be crazy like me and approach with these on the ground, but the landing lag is real. B-air has kill potential at higher percents. U-air can catch people by surprise if they're high enough for it. D-air is wack, use sparingly.

All of his Smashes are risky, but D-Smash is his best Smash since it's the fastest and has a great knockback angle. U-Smash covers a lot of space but it's kinda slow, so I usually only try it on falling opponents and charge it to switch up the timing. F-Smash is the most royal Smash of them all. Honestly, no one should ever be able to hit with this thing, but you feel so good when you do cuz it's like you saw into the future. But, you know, if you break their shield you know what to do.

B is basically a second grab. Works well on people who like to run a lot and Little Mac. Leaves people in the air too, so that's good. And of course, Swallowcides are still a thing. Side-B is the one I use the most. Even though Gordo can be hit back at you, tossing one straight up is a good way to make opponents think about their approach. Doing it when they're on the ledge is sure to get on their nerves. Using Up-B as an attack isn't recommended, but you may get lucky once or twice. I haven't found an opportunity to use Down-B yet.

Oh, almost forgot about his dash attack. It's good for catching people off-guard I guess. Not the best option by any means, but it does have kill potential.

The best tip I have regarding gameplay is patience. DDD is big and easy to take advantage of, so you gotta make up for that by playing it safe and being psychic. Use his quicker, longer-ranged moves and throws to keep them at a comfortable distance until they get airborne, then either punish their landing or follow them in the air and smack them with your hammer until they land. At higher percents, air chases are gonna happen more and more and DDD's a heavy character who's good at that. If you end up above them while they're grounded, your attack options are limited to D-air (which is wack) and N-air (which is punishable on block) so the better idea is to try to get to an edge or fake them out.

As an added bonus, this is what I meant about Little Mac!

EDIT: Forgot up and down throws! U-throw is like the "I want an U-air" move since that's the most obvious follow-up. D-throw combos to F-tilt until higher percents and to U-tilt on bigger characters.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well, looks like I'm gonna have to switch from Greninja to Link, Toon Link or Mega Man whenever I fight a Little Mac and zone the crap out of him.

How did you do this? My opponents were always hit to the sky after dash attack. Playing Kirby, all I can do is fair, dash attack, sometimes jab and a lot of evading trying to find a chance to land down or forward smash on my opponents.

I can see why people are annoyed about having to get all of the custom moves. I have been doing Smash Run actively and sometimes Classic and the only character I have gotten all custom moves for was Greninja, and that was on the first two days of playing.
Jesus, for fun mode is actually fun lol
Even though I had a few matches with input lag, I agree. If only they could be stock battles, though.

Moonlight

Banned
My first big complaint is the amount of Kid Icarus content. I didn't complain about Dark Pit, but half of the trophies are from Kid Icarus, there are like 20 Kid Icarus enemies in Smash Run, etc.

Seriously, the bias is strong (and annoying).
I felt the same about Fire Emblem...
All it sounds like to me are that the best Nintendo franchises are finally getting their dues. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Maybe I've just found a lot at once, but I've seen a ton of FE trophies, music items, and they have a lot of characters.
However, I'm biased because I don't like the FE games. I'm sure the Fire Emblem fans are eating it up.
Fire Emblem has one (kind of not great tbh) stage, no new music compositions (which is the worst thing IMO), and in a 300+ trophy roster, it doesn't compare that favourably to most other playable franchises. It has a lot of characters, but one unique newcomer added per series installment (from a franchise that sees a lot of games and hence unique characters in that timeframe relative to most other Nintendo franchises) since Melee does not strike me as exceptionally ludicrous.

Neiteio

Since I'm kinda exhausted doing for glory for several hours, I'm just gonna continue with my snapshot galore. Here's Adventures of Shulk Part 2!

Arriving at the entrance of the village:

TtDzflE.jpg

Shulk: What's happening here?
Fiora: Looks like we're under attack!

xZ7lUK9.jpg

Shulk: Mechons! How did they pass our defense system!?
Fiora: We're completely surrounded Shulk!
Shulk: Don't worry Fiora! I got this!

Z56Z451.jpg

Shulk: Feel the power of the Monado! Hya!
Fiora: I'm going all out too, Shulk!
Shulk: Just be careful, Fiora! Your weapons won't wor---

hKhp0aL.jpg

Shulk: A giant Mechon! It's Metal Face!
Fiora: Kyaaaaa!
Shulk: Fioraaaaaaa!

mPLZJhX.jpg

Fiora: Shulk...I'm...sorry...Everything has gone...blurry...
Shulk: Fioraaaaaaa! Metal Face...I'M GONNA KILL YOU!

jqviDAH.jpg

Shulk: Hya! Huaaa! Air Slash!

Y1mAQnh.jpg

Shulk: Why is my attack not working!?

AO4Sr7s.jpg

Shulk: Come back here! We're not done yet!

biFI7w2.jpg

Reyn: What happened in the village, Shulk!? Where's Fiora?
Shulk: Fiora's...listen Reyn! We'll chase that Mechon and get revenge for Fiora!

yKosB6V.jpg

Shulk: ...what happened to you Reyn? You look old...green...you are ill Reyn.
Reyn: I'm perfectly fine, Shulk! I just got diarrhea after eating Fiora's sandwich! But I'm okay now!
Shulk: I'm afraid you gotta stay. Guess it's Shulk Time now, Reyn.
Reyn: B-b-but we're best buddies Shulk! Don't leave me behind! Shulk! SHUUUUUULK!
cue in Metal Gear Game Over music :p
Everything about this post is wonderful

Monster Zero

How did you do this? My opponents were always hit to the sky after dash attack. Playing Kirby, all I can do is fair, dash attack, sometimes jab and a lot of evading trying to find a chance to land down or forward smash on my opponents.

Yea kirby is a game of instincts,His tilts are his best tools, their obnoxious, and can trip opponents easily into combos your dair is a GREAT combo starter, it almost always connects at least one hit, you can combo if into more tilts, or bait a foward smash. You bair is also your best KO move, sweet spot is pretty forgiving. The techs were linked a few pages back, on mobile atm so can't link

Dimmle

Link is an amazing specialist from every range, so I wouldn't count him out. His three projectiles create a sort of rock-paper-scissors mindgame with your opponent and the ability to angle your boomerang and bounce it off the ground for a 45* angle is invaluable. His bombs can be used to enter the stage from above safely (many other characters have fewer options when re-entering the stage, but Link has a myriad of safe options). However, even at his best, in every Smash, he's going to be taking a pummeling and landing fewer, but stronger, hits compared to a Sheik or a ZSS.

So if you want a faster character with less endlag on his moves (endlag is the time it takes to regain control of a character after performing a move; Link has moves with plenty of start and endlag, so you have to be a very cautious player) that you're probably already good with, I'd consider Toon Link. He's basically Young Link with better air game. He is a speedy little sucker and when you're up against a talented Marth you might want that in your court.

EDIT: And as a Smash player since 1999 who has just immersed himself in the meta game, I can 100% say that it only enhances your enjoyment of the game and appreciation for the mechanics. Just remember that you're playing to have fun; don't get too stingy. Play an item match every once in a while.

Durden77

For my my returning peeps.....(Snake eventually took up pretty much all of my time in Brawl, so there's some things I'm sure I'm missing.)

Captain Falcon - Upper mid tier. He just feels good. Nothing too crazy, but the shit that needed to be fixed with him got fixed, and he just feels like one of the most balanced characters on the roster in this game. Knee is there when you need it, but not too accessible. dair spike is very reliable tool now. Up air and bair are still great. And his new jab combo is great option on the ground for him to rack up some damage. Just all around solid as hell.

Falco - Mid/possibly upper mid tier. Feels like a completely different character, although I eventually stopped becoming familiar with him in Brawl. I think he's the Guile of this game, in that he's all about putting you where he wants you to be. His lasers were nerfed, but I don't think it matters for him as much as it does Fox because in this game he's not about keeping you out or even just doing damage, he's about bringing you in, and the stun of a few lasers will do that just fine. Once he has you where he wants you, his pokes (jab, f tilt, d tilt, bair, fsmash) are great for damage and getting you off the ledge where he really excels. Thanks to the buffs on his fair and nair actually hitting consistently now, along with he great recovery, he has fantastic tools, possibly the best tools, for every situation when it comes to edge guarding. I just need to get better at edgeguarding in general. His problem though is that while his tools on the ground may be good, they can also make him a bit predictable.

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to switch from Greninja to Link, Toon Link or Mega Man whenever I fight a Little Mac and zone the crap out of him.
I would recommend Sheik instead of those guys. She has a similar overall feel to Greninja but those needles should give you the edge you need.

vixlar

Fantastic work, man. Maybe in smash bros 8 we can create our own movies, u_u

Dimmle

I would recommend Sheik instead of those guys. She has a similar overall feel to Greninja but those needles should give you the edge you need.

This is how it starts.

Smash 4 in five years will consist entirely of Little Mac, Sheik, and ZSS.

What, me, salty? No. Noooo.

This is how it starts.

Smash 4 in five years will consist entirely of Little Mac, Sheik, and ZSS.

What, me, salty? No. Noooo.
lol

A lot of characters have good match-ups against Little Mac. I only recommended Sheik because she has a better projectile than Greninja while playing similarly.

Anura

Marth: dear god, why!? Why are you so boring to play now? What are you so bad now? Why is counter the only good thing you have anymore?

Ice Climbers: =(

Jigglypuff: She is finally good again! That Nair is so good, Rest is workable again, and her edge game is amazing! Still dies way too fast though...

Nothing is filling that Marth void though. Puff is nice but she is no Marth...

Dr. Buni

Pikachu: why

Top Bottom