• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Dimmle

better than solely meta knight

This is true. I'd love it if a dark horse emerges from the stable that isn't purely focused on speed.

I mean, as a racing horse, I guess that would be terrible, but... what I'm saying is Smash has a history of favoring fast characters with low-lag aerials. I want to see Slow Champ. To be optimistic, it feels like Smash 4 has a decent chance of fulfilling that desire.

Anbec7

Dat Shulk story is amazing, Amazing!

Also looking for some good gameplay, tournies specially with our little "broken" newcomer Mac!

Any suggestions?

Hmmm...how I feel about my main and secondary?

Toon Link: I'm a bit sad about his nerfs. I miss the double arrows and the bairs. But I think he is still pretty good, especially with the bomb ATs. I also built a custom set that I really enjoy using.

Lucario: Such an amazing and reliable secondary. It's a bit weird that he's much more grounded now compared to Brawl, but aura is so much better it's amazing. He's a blast to play as!

RedWolf

Neo Member
I've never taken Smash Bros seriously - always just had extremely casual matches on 64 with my sister and GC with my friends. Hell, I just learned about sidestepping yesterday.

But I LOVE Smash 3DS, and want to learn to hold my own online. Casual play, I don't think, is gonna help me. I want to speak with the lexicon lots of you have... I have no idea what half these things mean right now.

Thoughts?

Couple questions: I've ALWAYS main'd Young Link, and so I'm moving onto adult Link. Really just cause he's my favorite Nintendo character. But am I gonna get whopped not choosing one of the "main" players the serious players are picking?

Secondly, does the meta game eventually ruin the fun? I don't like the idea of "you're only a serious contender if you play with X character against Y character all of the time."

I am in the same exact situation. I've briefly played the previous Smash games but I am having a great time with this one and would like to become decent at it. I have no hopes of being amazing or anything, but I'd like to be able to hold my own. My current win/loss percentage is around 15% so I am definitely not good but getting better.

I think it's too early for tiers and I think you should just run with whichever character you are interested in. They all seem viable right now and if you wanna play Link then do it. I play ZZS who apparently some believe is high-tier. I just chose her because she's quicker than regular Samus and I like Metroid.

The key seems to be to me to just have fun and try to hold your own. If you get beat terribly, then just keep playing with that guy until you either win or feel more confident. I want to play pretty regularly and be competitive but also just enjoy being a part of such a hardcore multiplayer game. In the end, have fun, get better, watch tourneys, chat on the forums, and play whichever character you want.

Main:

Marth - Oh fuck me.

Secondaries:

Lucario - Much better now.

Pikachu - Oh fuck me.

Wolf - Oh fuck me.

Yoshi - ...New main! Yay!
Yeah, it's good advice, I just have a history of abuse from Sheik.
My childhood involved a lot of beatdowns from Sheik. :(

Berordn

This is true. I'd love it if a dark horse emerges from the stable that isn't purely focused on speed.

I mean, as a racing horse, I guess that would be terrible, but... what I'm saying is Smash has a history of favoring fast characters with low-lag aerials. I want to see Slow Champ. To be optimistic, it feels like Smash 4 has a decent chance of fulfilling that desire.

I have a little hope for Bowser on that front, it seems like he might actually have a shot, but that could just be unbridled optimism clouding my judgment. It does seem like ZSS, Greninja and Mac will be dominating the top, at least in the near future.

Dimmle

Let's talk mains, man.

Link:He may not be the straight up killer he was in Melee, but he's 500% better than his Brawl incarnation (thrusts have been slightly boosted, spin attack isn't the offensive equivalent of a tender peck on the cheek, boomerang doesn't sabotage itself with its wind box and hits harder, like all returning projectiles). He's also got decreased endlag on his hookshot, which makes it a little more viable in a high-intensity match. His dash attack hits the morning paper before it hits your opponent, but when you can read your opponent and connect, it's a viable killing option.

Mega Man: Perfect character, absolutely no problems, S rank, A++, Leaf Shield possibly too good?

Do you guys have any rotation of characters you use on online battles? When I get a new opponent, I almost always use, in order:

Ganondorf -> Samus -> Zelda -> Pacman -> Charizard -> Sheik -> Any other character

I'd say Zelda and Samus are my two strongest. If I train a lot with Sheik, she might end up as my strongest.

My rotation usually involves Mega Man, Bowser Jr., Wii Fit Trainer, Lucario, Sheik, and Falco not necessarily in that order. I also intersperse Little Mac and Duck Hunt in there depending. I've got the best W-L record with Bowser Jr. and Lucario.

entremet

Greninja is so fun.

They really got the ninja aspects of stealth and subterfuge done.

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to switch from Greninja to Link, Toon Link or Mega Man whenever I fight a Little Mac and zone the crap out of him.

Greninja owns Mac.

Use your water shurikens, stay in the air, punish with Shadow Sneak, and dodge. Hydro Pump dash to get out as well.

Unbounded

So I just spent a few minutes on the Megaman stage.

It's extremely predictable. Like, REALLY predictable. YD only seems to spawn in 3 set locations and has a few set attack patterns, which seem to be based on where he spawns.

Moreover, the platforms disappear right before YD comes on stage, and they reappear after he leaves in a different configuration.

On top of that, you know how he kinda goes into his ball form and switches sides on the stage?

The order in which his body parts move is exactly the same. Every. Single. Time.

Just thought it'd be worth noting.

Molemitts

I was doing so well on For Glory and then I suddenly get into a losing streak of 12, or so, loses. Yeah, I should probably take a break. Ugh.

NeonZ

The zombie thingies from Awakening?

The main issue with FE enemies is likely that they'd need to be redesigned for more human-like proportions to actually fit the art style of FE characters here, rather than the almost SD designs used by Awakening.

Although the trophies somehow were all redesigned with human-like proportions, rather than being Awakening rips...

Wario: Aerial mobility nerfed and camping capabilities with the tires are gone. Two of his aerials (fair and dair) dont auto cancel anymore, nair is slower and uair doesnt kill early. Bit doesn't have insane priority anymore.
That's his nerfs. His buffs? Much better ground options. All tilts are faster, DSmash doesn't have as much endlag, roll cancel grab greatly improves his grab game, dtilt stops everything, dash trips and has potential for follow ups, etc. He's much more solid on the ground.
He has better KO power too. No need to rely on UAir and FSmash armor anymore when the waft isn't charged. He's also still very mobile in the air and his aerials are still damn good (especially his FAir). Bite can eat projectiles now so zoning him is difficult and waft has more knockback at full charge and kills veeeery early.
I talked about the bike earlier
The bike is his most important tool in this game because of it's versatility. It's such an INCREDIBLE approach option now that it has a hitbox after Wario gets off it. It's so safe and trying to challenge it is too risky. There really isn't much you can do against it. Block? That's fine. Wario can just zone with it while you block. Roll/Dodge? Get hit by it. Try to hit Wario out of it? Too bad Wario is already out of the bike. Jump? You're in Wario's territory now.

That's the gist of it. I think he's very good and a character that's being slept on.

Since I'm kinda exhausted doing for glory for several hours, I'm just gonna continue with my snapshot galore. Here's Adventures of Shulk Part 2!
You don't mind me spoiling some stuff, right? :p

Arriving at the entrance of the village:

TtDzflE.jpg

Shulk: What's happening here?
Fiora: Looks like we're under attack!

xZ7lUK9.jpg

Shulk: Mechons! How did they pass our defense system!?
Fiora: We're completely surrounded Shulk!
Shulk: Don't worry Fiora! I got this!

Z56Z451.jpg

Shulk: Feel the power of the Monado! Hya!
Fiora: I'm going all out too, Shulk!
Shulk: Just be careful, Fiora! Your weapons won't wor---

hKhp0aL.jpg

Shulk: A giant Mechon! It's Metal Face!
Fiora: Kyaaaaa!
Shulk: Fioraaaaaaa!

mPLZJhX.jpg

Fiora: Shulk...I'm...sorry...Everything has gone...blurry...
Shulk: Fioraaaaaaa! Metal Face...I'M GONNA KILL YOU!

jqviDAH.jpg

Shulk: Hya! Huaaa! Air Slash!

Y1mAQnh.jpg

Shulk: Why is my attack not working!?

AO4Sr7s.jpg

Shulk: Come back here! We're not done yet!

biFI7w2.jpg

Reyn: What happened in the village, Shulk!? Where's Fiora?
Shulk: Fiora's...listen Reyn! We'll chase that Mechon and get revenge for Fiora!

yKosB6V.jpg

Shulk: ...what happened to you Reyn? You look old...green...you are ill Reyn.
Reyn: I'm perfectly fine, Shulk! I just got diarrhea after eating Fiora's sandwich! But I'm okay now!
Shulk: I'm afraid you gotta stay. Guess it's Shulk Time now, Reyn.
Reyn: B-b-but we're best buddies Shulk! Don't leave me behind! Shulk! SHUUUUUULK!
cue in Metal Gear Game Over music :p

This is canon from now on.

Dimmle

So I just spent a few minutes on the Megaman stage.

It's extremely predictable. Like, REALLY predictable. YD only seems to spawn in 3 set locations and has a few set attack patterns, which seem to be based on where he spawns.

Moreover, the platforms disappear right before YD comes on stage, and they reappear after he leaves in a different configuration.

On top of that, you know how he kinda goes into his ball form and switches sides on the stage?

The order in which his body parts move is exactly the same. Every. Single. Time.

Just thought it'd be worth noting.

I can't imagine beating the original Mega Man if Yellow Devil actually randomized his pattern. Memorization is your only tool in that battle.

Neiteio

Meanwhile, at the Brothers in Smash Brothers Support Group (BSBSG):

"Hi everyone, I'm Morton Koopa Jr., and I'm one of the closest things to a brother in Smash Bros."

ssb-mypic52owcpy.jpg

(all) "HI MORTON!"

ssb-mypic53clecn.jpg

"Hey, is this the White Privilege Party? Where all the white women at --"

ssb-mypic54jqi65.jpg

"......"

ssb-mypic553mczq.jpg

"g2g lol"

ssb-mypic56n7don.jpg

Neiteio

Oh hey, in the last thread you said we might have gone toe-to-toe in For Glory before. I do in fact play Skyward Sword alt Link; what's your Smash name and do you remember the character you were using?
Man, you'd never guess my Smash Bros name

Also, I use Zero Suit, most of the time

Trying to git gud with Bowser Jr. but it's an uphill battle

Also, another pic -- I will refrain from a lewd joke:

ssb-mypic51y6e0g.jpg

Dr. Buni

Brahhsssss live and learn from sonic adventure 2 battle just played on sonics stage.

God yes.
So many better songs to pick :( Like one from Lost World ( since Sonic didn't get a new stage in the 3DS version... ;_; )
The main issue with FE enemies is likely that they'd need to be redesigned for more human-like proportions to actually fit the art style of FE characters here, rather than the almost SD designs used by Awakening.

Although the trophies somehow were all redesigned with human-like proportions, rather than being Awakening rips...
Well, if they used the Risen, they wouldn't need to redesign them.

Dimmle

Hm, I'm not sure if it was me or not. However, if you want to see more intense bomb tossing (provided I can get a kill in), my FC is 2921-9084-9894. I'll see you online!

Meanwhile, at the Brothers in Smash Brothers Support Group (BSBSG):

"Hi everyone, I'm Morton Koopa Jr., and I'm one of the closest things to a brother in Smash Bros."

ssb-mypic52owcpy.jpg

(all) "HI MORTON!"

ssb-mypic53clecn.jpg

"Hey, is this the White Privilege Party? Where all the white women at --"

ssb-mypic54jqi65.jpg

"......"

ssb-mypic553mczq.jpg

"g2g lol"

ssb-mypic56n7don.jpg

Trying to git gud with Bowser Jr. but it's an uphill battle

Also, another pic -- I will refrain from a lewd joke:

ssb-mypic51y6e0g.jpg
g6TLfzv.jpg

random25

Mains you say?

Megaman: My most used character by far and literally far. Like 90% of my matches are all Megaman and I've played 300+ matches online. His metal blade and crash bomb are surprisingly reliable. And all his smashes really deals strong damage plus KO potential, including his up tilt. Aerials are pretty strong too. The negatives are: His jabs are pretty much weak when compared to a lot of characters, his leaf shield is just so slow to execute, tons of lag on many of his moves and his charged buster cannot be stored. It would really be fun if he can hold the charge just like many of charged beams of other characters, like Samus and Lucario.

Marth: The landing lags kind of killed his air game. He's now more of a ground-based character. Tippers are still pretty reliable, especially his side smash that when successfully connects has a KO power comparable to Falcon Punch. His range is nerfed so it's kinda bummer.

Kirby: His moves are high risk, high reward. The stone and the hammer can really kill. The problem is how to successfully connect them since it's easy to read his moves.Range is still one of his problems, but his tilts are still really good for racking up damage.

Shulk: He's pretty slow at a lot of his attacks, but his range is pretty awesome. Buster buffs to speed up building damage then using smash buff for that KO moment is just good to use.

My rotation usually involves Mega Man, Bowser Jr., Wii Fit Trainer, Lucario, Sheik, and Falco not necessarily in that order. I also intersperse Little Mac and Duck Hunt in there depending. I've got the best W-L record with Bowser Jr. and Lucario.

Now that you said it, I wish there were per-character statistics for For Glory. There isn't, right?

vixlar

Guys. I think is time for a thread dedicated to Smash Snapshot Stories. You are really great and I having a really good time with those.

Neiteio

I mainly use Zero Suit but I hardly ever see her by default. I only see her when people switch to her to try to counter me (which is always confusing, because on the second match I switch from orange to blue, and they switch to blue thinking I'm still orange, so we're both blue and getting mixed up with each other, lol).

I wonder if character histories factor into random matchups, I.E. if you mainly use one character the game will generally match you with people using other characters. Probably not, but it's a thought.

Now that you said it, I wish there were per-character statistics for For Glory. There isn't, right?

You can go into Online for character records in the vault, but it includes For Fun and games with Friends in it so if you've done both you have to guesstimate your For Glory record. I've only done a few matches outside For Glory so I can kind of figure it out.

On another note, I just battled the most annoying Pikachu ever. I'm so upset I lost, I should have won against the lightning spam. Dammit.

random25

Wow...I just encountered Meta Knight for the 1st time in For Glory mode. I'm surprised a lot of people are hardly using him. Is he hated that much? :p

Neiteio

Zamus is pretty fun.

I love her kicks. They did a great job retooling her.
Zero Suit is quite possibly the most fun I've ever had with a Smash Bros. character, and that's saying A LOT. Open combos with the dash, stun people with the Paralyzer, knock back Gordos with your shots and kicks, confuse/bury/kick people with the Flip Jump, eight-hit combo and sideways launch with the Boost Kick, space and tether-recover with the Plasma Whip, interrupt the Bowser Bomb with your u-tilt, spike with her dair's meteor effect, and so on. The range on her grabs and smash attacks are great, too.

Still haven't figured out some of her quirks, though. Like how do I make her float with her dair? I do that sometimes instead of the usual divekick, and I'm not sure why.

Top Bottom