• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

My brother just found a strange glitch since he mains Ness. When he throws Mr Game and Watch downwards, he only takes 4% damage whereas everyone else takes 9%. Anyone else want to test this, and have any idea why it happens?

Well first, you probably should stop rolling this much, especially when getting away. It gets easy to chase you down and punish accordingly. The vulnerability window for rolls is actually pretty small, but if someone knows what it is or is using a character that can exploit them (say, Wario Bike or Falcon Kick), then it's not gonna help you.

Also I feel like you get too aggressive. The moment you get close, or I get close, you'll throw out a move instantly. Also try to land safely instead of using a move that hits below you, especially in a game where landing lag can be massive. I wasn't doing a good job at it to be honest, but punishing is really easy when you're this aggressive.
Also it helps to mix up your gameplan. Mixing up your recovery is good, keep at that! But do that in the neutral game as well. Easier said and done, though. Try to practice your spacing instead of just rushing in or waiting. Try to move whenever you can so that it doesn't get obvious when you want to get close or baiting them to do it. This is from what I observed, but I hope it helps. Once you know what to work on you'll get better in no time.

Ugh. This is way too much for my brain to keep track of.

I don't like playing defensively. It's fucking boring. :(

I can relate to some of that. I too have the tendency to just "roll away" when it is actually a bit predictable. And missed aerials near an opponent is dangerous.

emb

Ok guys, maybe this is completely crazy... but let's see if any body bites. Seeing all these tournaments going on that I'm not in or that aren't happening for another week has me wanting to play. Organizing something of that scale is a lot of work that I'm not gonna do. But would anyone be interested in a quick, informal, one-night tournament? Like the kind of tournament you'd have when you're over at a pal's house on the weekend, and realize there are enough of you there to do a mini-event.

In other words, are there 7 other volunteers that would be generally available tonight to play through a quick bracket? I'm thinking if we start at 6:30 (EST) and run an 8-player double elimination bracket, it would probably be simple enough and quick enough to work out. Would probably take 3-4 hours at most (mostly just from setting up matches), but I don't really know. If there's not enough interest, no big deal; people can just play each other like normal.

PK Gaming

What's the optimal custom moveset for Sonic & Robin?

It depends on the matchup

Thunder is your quintessential move. It's your damage dealer(Thoron), spacing tool(Elthunder/Arcthunder), set up tool(Arcthunder), and KO option at high %(Thoron). Thunder+ is just a super charged version of it. Thoron+ in particular sees a massive boost in damage and KO potential. (i'm talking 31% damage + KOing at around 100%) On the other hand, it takes more time to charge, it has more startup, more cooldown and it has less durability (Thoron+ immediately breaks the tomb). You'll want to pick Thoron+ against slower, less mobile characters. Thoron+ is a liability against enemies who can get in your face (Diddy Kong, ZSS, etc). I haven't experimented with Speed Thunder, so I can't really comment on it, but Thunder/Elthunder are much better on it.

Arfire is stellar spacing tool; you can use it to keep enemies at bay while you charge thoron, or trap them and follow up with a meaty levin sword forward air. Fire Wall is more handy on stages like Battlefield or against opponents who like to rush you down from below. It's also useful against mobile opponents. ArcFire+ seems "so-so." It has much more range, but it doesn't linger like Arfire, so it's less of a defensive tool.

Nosferatu trumps the other 2 down B variation because it scales (ie: the more damage you have in proportion to your opponent, the more you heal) while the others don't. Distant Nosferatu heals for pitiful damage and whiffs at close ranges. It has more startup too. Goetia doesn't even heal you (though the damage is massive and it has a vacuum effect).

Elwind is a straightforward recovery tool. Soaring Elwind seems terrible, but Gliding Elwind might seem like it may be more useful than the default Elwind. More testing needs to be done.

Generally:
B: Thunder or Thunder+
<>B: Arcfire
^B: Elwind
VB: Nosferatu

Sorry! Didn't mean to overwhelm you. D: Well I guess the best way to narrow it down is try to be a little more careful with your approach.

Or maybe I'm just adding to it. :lol

I know I throw out attacks too often, but that's just more frustration. Especially when fighting Little Mac, whose speed is overwhelming. I don't know how to fight him at all.

I know I throw out attacks too often, but that's just more frustration. Especially when fighting Little Mac, whose speed is overwhelming. I don't know how to fight him at all.
Well yeah, Mac is like the character where you have to be completely change the way you approach. You absolutely have to be patient against him no matter what. I hate fighting him, too, and lots of FG players as well from my experience. (Always quitting whenever I use him :lol)

Falawful

GGs Beats. Those WFT customs are a damn brick wall, seriously. I had to adapt hard just to get through. She's a much better character with those custom moves than the defaults, more than I was expecting.

Oric you still want to play? Or anyone else?

Stylo

Ugh. This is way too much for my brain to keep track o.

I feel that the best approach to practicing is to focus on an aspect of your game you want to improve. When people practice sports, they don't just play the game, they drill techniques and strategies. The same applies to fighting games.

Spino pointed out that you roll excessively. Often, players roll when they're unsure how to handle a situation. To build the confidence to use other options, try out other defensive options. Let's say you're being cornered. The best defensive option is to shield. However, the problem lies with what you do after you shield. You can roll (which means you have to shield first), or you can jump (even while holding your shield). Try using these two options next time you play. You'll be surprised how often jumping instead of rolling will help.

PK Gaming

c4861a5.jpg

Ahahahahaha

I feel that the best approach to practicing is to focus on an aspect of your game you want to improve. When people practice sports, they don't just play the game, they drill techniques and strategies. The same applies to fighting games.

Spino pointed out that you roll excessively. Often, players roll when they're unsure how to handle a situation. To build the confidence to use other options, try out other defensive options. Let's say you're being cornered. The best defensive option is to shield. However, the problem lies with what you do after you shield. You can roll (which means you have to shield first), or you can jump (even while holding your shield). Try using these two options next time you play. You'll be surprised how often jumping instead of rolling will help.

I just played an FG match where I concentrated on jumping over rolling, and it worked out. So yeah. Gonna start with that.

kunonabi

Ok guys, maybe this is completely crazy... but let's see if any body bites. Seeing all these tournaments going on that I'm not in or that aren't happening for another week has me wanting to play. Organizing something of that scale is a lot of work that I'm not gonna do. But would anyone be interested in a quick, informal, one-night tournament? Like the kind of tournament you'd have when you're over at a pal's house on the weekend, and realize there are enough of you there to do a mini-event.

In other words, are there 7 other volunteers that would be generally available tonight to play through a quick bracket? I'm thinking if we start at 6:30 (EST) and run an 8-player double elimination bracket, it would probably be simple enough and quick enough to work out. Would probably take 3-4 hours at most (mostly just from setting up matches), but I don't really know. If there's not enough interest, no big deal; people can just play each other like normal.

eh, I'll join in if you need people. I don't play competitively though but It's still better than having a straight bye.

JKBii

My brother just found a strange glitch since he mains Ness. When he throws Mr Game and Watch downwards, he only takes 4% damage whereas everyone else takes 9%. Anyone else want to test this, and have any idea why it happens?

Ness is placing Mr. Game and Watch down gently out of respect.

Falawful

GGs man! Sick BJr.; I've been messing around with him and just picked up a lot of tact is from you.

Yup, GGs man. Thanks, he's an interesting character that I like to use once in awhile, he's similar to Falcon in that he has some options to bait and punish rolls. He also is, along with Megaman, my go-to option to take on a Rosaluma player, so it's worth my time to learn him at least as a counterpick lol.

emb

eh, I'll join in if you need people. I don't play competitively though but It's still better than having a straight bye.
Eh, doesn't look like anyone else really is interested/has time.

I can just play you though. If you're down for that, 1779-2039-8381.

Revven

Brawl had some oddities like this as well, usually it was related to a character's hurtbox and considering G&W is generally a "weird" character I wouldn't be surprised if his position or hurtbox is just not getting hit by the latter portion of Ness' Dthrow. Or the animation that plays for G&W to get hit is causing the hitboxes of the Dthrow to miss.

I wish I could pull some examples from Brawl that match it better but the best one I can remember was Samus' pummel on Bowser in Brawl -- it sometimes (or nearly majority of the time) would not deal damage to Bowser even though it was clearly hitting him. It was basically what I described above, it wasn't hitting his hurtbox (that is the hitbox wasn't hitting it).

emb

tried adding you but it doesn't seem to going through, my fc is 2664-2108-7269
Doesn't seem to be going through, you're right.

Double check both codes; mine is 1779-2039-8381 again

Edit: There it goes! Cool. Feel free to make a room with whatever rules you like.

Top Bottom