• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Someone help me out with Duck Hunt's wild gunman move. Huge windup, hard to hit with, doesn't seem to do much of anything even when it does hit. Is it just.. really bad, like it seems? Or am I missing some significant component.

When you look at all the newcomers that entered brawl, nearly all had a "gimmick" of some sort and brought something new into smash. I think that was a huge factor for which characters made it past the drawing board. Like, there's no way Bowser jr. would have entered smash without the koopa clown car.

Rosalina + luma - double character
Little mac - one hit ko, ground based character
Shulk - monado arts
Robin - resource system, smash aerials
Bowser jr - vehicle
Duck hunt duo - those specials
Megaman - he never left his megaman games
Mii fighters - based on miis and customisable

I don't think WFT, Villager or Greninja aren't as unique as the others but I guess Sakurai wanted to represent these franchises. Villager is unique in his own right and WFT was unique in concept at least.

SmithnCo

Someone help me out with Duck Hunt's wild gunman move. Huge windup, hard to hit with, doesn't seem to do much of anything even when it does hit. Is it just.. really bad, like it seems? Or am I missing some significant component.

Works as a shield with a projectile, just another camp utility.

It's annoying to me because it could shield attacks.

You can go into Online for character records in the vault, but it includes For Fun and games with Friends in it so if you've done both you have to guesstimate your For Glory record. I've only done a few matches outside For Glory so I can kind of figure it out.

On another note, I just battled the most annoying Pikachu ever. I'm so upset I lost, I should have won against the lightning spam. Dammit.

You can see the individual character online stats in records under options

Ohh, that's cool. I didn't do For Fun, and did only a few With Friends, so it will be quite easy to estimate it. Thanks.

entremet

Mother?

Although, Kotaku may be just taking the quote out of content and Sakurai is just referring to newcomers. Although, he did get rid of Lucas.

Mother has a huge following in Japan.

Also Duck Hunt and ROB have no future either. But they're iconic in their own ways.

I've clocked a little over 30 hours so far -- which is pretty good (or sad?) considering I've been away on vacation all week.

Has a quicker/more efficient way of unlocking customs been figured out yet other than marathon playing smash run? I know you can suspend the game to the home menu during the prize roulette during classic too, but the customs I get via that method don't seem to be as character-specific as frequently as the drops in smash run. Maybe I need to play at a higher difficulty or something.

Except wait, fuck master core and crazy hand. I haven't had this much trouble in any prior classic modes in the smash series, no matter the difficulty. No matter how much I roll and try to dodge I always get my ass handed to me. The highest difficulty I've been able to clear on Classic is 6.5, despite me being much better at the game now than when I first attempted a higher difficulty Classic run.

I'm finding Ganondorf's custom special moves really weird.

Weird as in they don't seem to have any drawbacks like Mario's and the majority of the cast's customs which have greater power at the cost of low range and startup and vice versa. Everything still hits plenty hard and can come out faster in a slightly different trajectory.

I think after Brawl, the Smash team had the humility to acknowledge Ganondorf needed some additional buffs or at least more options if he wasn't getting substantially revised from a gameplay perspective.

SoldnerKei

Mother?

Although, Kotaku may be just taking the quote out of content and Sakurai is just referring to newcomers. Although, he did get rid of Lucas.

he got rid of wolf, squirtle and ivy too, they were reps thou, their series is still there... the IC on the other hand... :'c

Mother has a huge following in Japan.

Also Duck Hunt and ROB have no future either. But they're iconic in their own ways.

I'm pretty sure that they fill the retro or "unexpected" choices that Sakurai referred to in Melee.

he got rid of wolf, squirtle and ivy too, they were reps thou, their series is still there... the IC on the other hand... :'c

Well I don't know what the story with Wolf is but transformations were removed because of the 3DS and having 8 separate Pokemon characters may have been overkill.

I don't have a 3DS or a Wii U (planning on getting a Wii U black friday), so can someone explain to me how the Mii "costumes" work? One thing that keeps catching my attention is the Power Loader costume for the Miis, so I'm thinking about either making an Ellen Ripley Mii or a Master Chief one if I can find a suitable helmet. Samus's, maybe. Are helmets independent of the "body suit" think the Power Loader costume slot occupies? I'm only familiar with the clothing system of Xbox Live Avatars.

entremet

I'm pretty sure that they fill the retro or "unexpected" choices that Sakurai referred to in Melee.

Well Ness is legacy choice.

Remember when Smash 64 came out, Mother 3 was in development as a N64 game before getting cancelled and turned into a GBA project.

Hm the shield bit, maybe that's what I've been missing.
Basically while I don't use Duck Hunt I feel like there really isn't any reason for you to NOT use it. It forces the opponent to shield or jump to avoid it so it misses up their positioning and it's pretty safe from a distance because it can serve as a shield. I don't think you'd want to use it to actually hit with it.

SmithnCo

I don't have a 3DS or a Wii U (planning on getting a Wii U black friday), so can someone explain to me how the Mii "costumes" work? One thing that keeps catching my attention is the Power Loader costume for the Miis, so I'm thinking about either making an Ellen Ripley Mii or a Master Chief one if I can find a suitable helmet. Samus's, maybe. Are helmets independent of the "body suit" think the Power Loader costume slot occupies? I'm only familiar with the clothing system of Xbox Live Avatars.

Helmets are independent. And it does look like the power loader.

Moonlight

Banned
Nosferatu is the best in All-Star. Fuck your persistent damage percents. Let me kill everyone except one character and eat their HP until they're at like 250% and I'm at 30% so I can instantly kill them with a grab.

Yeah, I can confirm that indeed 99 stock is the best way to waste Smash time. 1.0 is a bit slow though, so you may want 1.2-1.5x damage sessions. Almost at 7 hours now...

That actually requires a bit of set-up to do.

Either way, his mobility is good enough to close the gap on any zoner, and his eggs are good projectiles, too.
You usually have enough space to get off the needed whiffed pivot grab, actually. Then you have the egg as a shield.

But yeah, Yoshi is really really fast so what I do is actually just run up and kick zoner's asses. Like, he's so mobile you can often just shortup and fair or nair into the opponent. I also sometimes zone myself using eggs, of course.

entremet

Cruel Smash is fun.

6 kills is my record. I wonder if anyone has figured out the computer like they did with Melee. Cruel Melee as brain dead AI which you can bait into killing itself.

zruben

Banned
anyone wants to play 1vs1 right now? I have about half an hour to spare.

I'm not very good.

4167 4630 3876

SmithnCo

Cruel Smash is fun.

6 kills is my record. I wonder if anyone has figured out the computer like they did with Melee. Cruel Melee as brain dead AI which you can bait into killing itself.

You can cheese them by sucking them in with Kirby and dropping them off halfway below the stage

zruben

Banned
Cruel Smash is fun.

spam counter with Palutena was my best strategy. Managed to get 6 as well.

Durden77

"There are a lot things to take into account when deciding [characters]." Sakurai wrote. "Does the character have something inherently unique about them? Can that be used to make Smash Bros. interesting? Is the character a representative character [for the source material]? Do they conflict at all with other characters? Was there anything about them that stood out when we began development?"

As for who doesn't make the cut, Sakurai noted, "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen."

In the end, as director, Sakurai has the final say on any character ideas that come across his desk. "Basically, any character is accepted if I believe it works [in the game]. On the other hand, even if a character is unique, if they overlap with other characters and aren't unique as a fighter, they are rejected."

The question of why the hell Dark Pit is in this game will continue to ring eternal.

emb

Cruel Smash is fun.

spam counter with Palutena was my best strategy. Managed to get 6 as well.
I started off trying to lure the AI off with Jigglypuff, didn't work that well. I only managed one or two kills at best.

Then I read about the strategy to just use any character with a counter. Works wonder. Got 4 KOs with Shulk after a try or two. Eventually got it to 5. His up B is also decent-ish at killing them.

Dr. Buni

I wish there was a way to share replays. If the Wii U version has this feature, I am so moving on to that version.
Because Sakurai bias trumps everything else. Next Smash game will have 5 Kid Icarus characters!
I can see Smash 4 getting two new Kid Icarus characters as DLCs.

javadoze

I wish there was a way to share replays. If the Wii U version has this feature, I am so moving on to that version.

I can see Smash 4 getting two new Kid Icarus characters as DLCs.

Coming soon: Hades as a new Captain Falcon clone!

emb

Pit
Dark pit
Metal pit
Pink metal pit
Sapphire pit
Could combine those to save precious slots.
8Bsu6WZ.png

Top Bottom