• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Dr. Buni

After Other M, it probably does.
Yes
image.php

Fine. It doesn't explain Dixie, at least. Can I have her as DLC character at least?

Spinluck

Dark Pit will always be a lazy blemish on the roster.

I rather those time and resources be put into something worthwhile, like making coins mean something.

Crocodile

Dark Pit will always be a lazy blemish on the roster.

I rather those time and resources be put into something worthwhile, like making coins mean something.

I couldn't give two shits about Dark Pit (like I couldn't give two shits about Roy) but I feel confident that there are/will be enough people who end up preferring him to regular Pit for me to say this is a selfish opinion.

Spinluck

It probably took five minutes on someone's coffee break to make Dark Pit.

:lol

He's definitely a "fuck it, why not?" character.

Doc Mario at least looks like he would've taken over a day or two. The whole, "they should be alts" discussion is a tired one so I won't get into that, but I cannot help but think that anytime I see them in-game.

Thankfully the roster has plenty of variety outside those two.

jrDev

agyzuv.png

Hey guys, voice chat for online Smash play is coming to this thread soon! If you have any interest in being part of this, let me know as we should have the public server going live this weekend. It's all done through TeamSpeak, which is super easy to set up and, at least in my experience so far, shouldn't effect online play much.

However, before we open it up to everyone this weekend, we're hoping to test it out a little more to make sure we're set up for success once we have more people joining in. So, if you'd like to try out the voice chat tonight around 7:00 PST with your fellow GAFers, let me know. We'd love to get a large group on to test out the different private rooms for separate games and just see the stability of everything in general.

If this all sounds interesting to you, let me know and I'll keep you in the loop. If you can play tonight, also let me know and I can give you info on how to do that. Looking forward to hearing you're beautiful voices!

EDIT: If you're one of the 20 or so people who already told me you wanted in on this, I still have the list with all of your names, so you'll be contacted. Definitely let me know if you'd want to partake in the voice chat shenanigans tonight, though.
Me!

Anyone want to play against robin?
2234-7469-5025

Spinluck

I couldn't give two shits about Dark Pit (like I couldn't give two shits about Roy) but I feel confident that there are/will be enough people who end up preferring him to regular Pit for me to say this is a selfish opinion.

Not really, it's just my personal preference.

Nowhere in my post do I tell Dark Pit fans that they cannot enjoy Dark Pit over Pit. I just think he's a blemish on what is a great roster of characters.

You know that satisfying feeling you get when taking the first sip of soda/beer of the day?

That's the exact same feeling you get when nailing three online players with the Dragoon.

I wonder how competitive play will handle FD stages with dark floors. I just won a match that I forced into Sudden Death almost entirely because I'm pretty sure the Robin kicking my ass could barely make out my Shadow Sneak on Brinstar's floor.

Spinluck

They should just let you buy custom moves with coins, even if it's like 10k coins.

That's what I was thinking. Make some rarer than others to beef up the time to collect them all!

I would've also loved to be able to buy all the concept art that went into the game, or even the music for Smash Run and/or other modes. Same with special costumes and stuff.

I wonder how competitive player will handle FD stages with dark floors. I just won a match that I forced into Sudden Death almost entirely because I'm pretty sure the Robin kicking my ass could barely make out my Shadow Sneak on Brinstar's floor.
You can't even see the shadow in the retro stages like Pac Maze and Balloon Fight.

iirate

People say now that Dark Samus should have gotten in over Dark Pit but I doubt people would've been happy with 3 versions of Samus on the roster, especially when Dark Samus, while different in design, has a lot of unique powers since it's basically Metroid Prime.

That doesn't explain Ridley tho

It would be weird to have three characters with Samus in the name, but I would actually like Dark Samus as a playable character, almost as much as Reedley.

They should just call it Metroid Prime and let people deal with it. For the longest time, I really didn't want Dark Samus, but after smash 4 reintroducing Doc and adding Lucina/Dark Pit, I think Dark Samus started looking comparatively great as a choice.

One way they could really make it independent from Samus is to make it sort of a reverse clone. While most clones have similar normals and different specials, Dark Samus could have similar specials, but use its different phazon attacks for normals/aerials.

Neiteio

I wonder how competitive player will handle FD stages with dark floors. I just won a match that I forced into Sudden Death almost entirely because I'm pretty sure the Robin kicking my ass could barely make out my Shadow Sneak on Brinstar's floor.
Oh, that's absolutely diabolical, haha :-D

I wonder if people playing on FD WarioWare have an advantage when they're on the XL. I'm playing on an XL but everyone still looks tiny due to the fixed camera angle.

Man, the Little Macs were out in full force in For Glory today. I kinda hate it only because I don't feel like I'm actually in a fight like I would be with any other character, I'm just waiting at the ledge so I can gimp them like M2K. You can call it a strategy if you like but I just find that way of playing incredibly boring (in Smash 4 anyway).

I don't mind the existence of Dr. Mario and Dark Pit simply because the rest of the roster is so diverse, and I actually like playing them better than I do their counterparts. Also I loved Uprising, so having more representation from it is fine by me!

Anyone else good with Rosalina? I just started doing well with her and she's great to play as.

iirate

I don't mind the existence of Dr. Mario and Dark Pit simply because the rest of the roster is so diverse, and I actually like playing them better than I do their counterparts. Also I loved Uprising, so having more representation from it is fine by me!

Anyone else good with Rosalina? I just started doing well with her and she's great to play as.

I wouldn't have as much of an issue with Doc if Paper Mario was also in the game. If you're going to have 2 Marios, how about adding the one that would actually be really unique, completely different, and far more relevant than Doc? I get that Doc is an easy clone, but Paper Mario is the #1 character that I don't get the exclusion of in smash.

I don't really have anything to say about your post, I just wanted to tell you that I love your avatar.

Man, the Little Macs were out in full force in For Glory today. I kinda hate it only because I don't feel like I'm actually in a fight like I would be with any other character, I'm just waiting at the ledge so I can gimp them like M2K. You can call it a strategy if you like but I just find that way of playing incredibly boring (in Smash 4 anyway).
Yeah. I use Wario, and while the match up is in favor of Wario imo, it's such a boring match up. I have to be extra careful and defensive, which is saying much because Wario is already a heavily defensive character as is. I switch to Yoshi whenever I play a Mac now.

emb

I wonder how competitive play will handle FD stages with dark floors. I just won a match that I forced into Sudden Death almost entirely because I'm pretty sure the Robin kicking my ass could barely make out my Shadow Sneak on Brinstar's floor.
Hehe, that's pretty good.

As for the competitive view on it, my guess is that stages like that will just be preferred stage choices for Greninja. It's like Marth being able to go to FD in Melee. It's an advantage, but probably not game breaking.

Dr. Buni

They should just call it Metroid Prime and let people deal with it. For the longest time, I really didn't want Dark Samus, but after smash 4 reintroducing Doc and adding Lucina/Dark Pit, I think Dark Samus started looking comparatively great as a choice.

One way they could really make it independent from Samus is to make it sort of a reverse clone. While most clones have similar normals and different specials, Dark Samus could have similar specials, but use its different phazon attacks for normals/aerials.
I would be okay with that. It would finally kill the "is Dark Samus truly the Metroid Prime?" dilemma. Maybe.

Yeah. I use Wario, and while the match up is in favor of Wario imo, it's such a boring match up. I have to be extra careful and defensive, which is saying much because Wario is already a heavily defensive character as is. I switch to Yoshi whenever I play a Mac now.

I just get annoyed because I like playing some arguably lower tier characters like Game & Watch and that match up is preeeetty bad. I have no qualms about switching to DHD and laming it out with spam afterwards.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder if people playing on FD WarioWare have an advantage when they're on the XL. I'm playing on an XL but everyone still looks tiny due to the fixed camera angle.
I hope fixed camera mode is back in the Wii U version and not just a training mode feature like it is in the 3DS version (unless I'm being tots blind)

but I love laming people out like that!

I wouldn't have as much of an issue with Doc is Paper Mario was also in the game. If you're going to have 2 Marios, how about adding the one that would actually be really unique, completely different, and far more relevant than Doc? I get that Doc is an easy clone, but Paper Mario is the #1 character that I don't get the exclusion of in smash.
Right? There's a Paper Mario stage, I wonder the same thing. He could be like Game & Watch, with fairly strong, quick attacks, but easy knockback. Maybe next time.

I don't really have anything to say about your post, I just wanted to tell you that I love your avatar.
Haha thanks, I found it on Tumblr. Link's Awakening is one of my favorite Zeldas, I'm kinda disappointed there wasn't any representation for it in Smash 3DS (Unless there's a trophy I'm unaware of). I kinda wish that the Kirby GB level featured levels from games besides Kirby, including the GB Zelda games. A tour through the Mario Lands, Wario Lands, DK Lands, Zelda, etc would've been awesome.

Was there another character poll like Melee and Brawl had? I know Melee's results were actually posted but I don't think Brawl's over were. How the other Melee characters got in is interesting as well.

So from what's been said, a character can get in if they're from a relevant series, unique enough (but don't overlap with someone else) or can easily be cloned.

So was anyone excited/happy to see a Mother stage on the roster? I've never played much of Earthbound although I really want to, but I was surprised to see a new level based on it considering how so many character levels were delegated to rehashed Melee/Brawl ones.

Seeing that sprite work on a portable system makes me want a Mother collection on the 3DS!

Dr. Luigi, Protoman, Daisy and Pichu as first DLC pack!

all of them clones

I would've liked a Daisy Peach clone with voices ripped from sports and kart games a la Koopalings if they didn't want to do app new voice clips.

And in true clone fashion her FS could've been a reskinned version of Peach's but with daisies instead, regardless of how nonsensical it is to eat flowers to recover HP.

The power of Lucario's aura effect is outrageous. And of course, since he has a counter move, the CPU just spams it with absolutely perfect timing. I can't believe this motherfucker didn't get cut. Worst character on the roster.

I'm so salty right now you guys

Speaking of Dark Samus... How is Samus in Smash 4? Still garbage as she was in Brawl?
I think she's good. It's just that other characters do what she does better.

But that's only from trying her out a bit. I dabble with Samus in Melee and PM and she doesn't feel very good here.

I really like the idea behind Megaman's play-style, but man...how can you give a character who is supposed to rely on zoning such predictable and easily punishable projectiles?!
It doesn't make any sense to me....
I mean, it's cool that they gave him Smashes that punish jumping and rolling, but they have way too much charge and cool down.
I don't think I'm gonna use the blue bomber anymore. :(

...On a more positive note, I really like Pac-Man. Almost every one of his moves is viable as far as I can tell. I really love his dash "A", that thing is brutal and you can kind of mind game your opponent with it.
I'm mainly a Sonic player, so it's really nice to able to be aggressive every now and then; I think Pac is gonna be my secondary for now on.

Dr. Buni

So was anyone excited/happy to see a Mother stage on the roster? I've never played much of Earthbound although I really want to, but I was surprised to see a new level based on it considering how so many character levels were delegated to rehashed Melee/Brawl ones.

Seeing that sprite work on a portable system makes me want a Mother collection on the 3DS!
I never played the Mother games either (but I really want to, someday) and I love that Magicant stage. I would dare to say it is my favorite stage in the whole series.
way better IMO. All of her attacks feel "heavier"
I think she's good. It's just that other characters do what she does better.

But that's only from trying her out a bit. I dabble with Samus in Melee and PM and she doesn't feel very good here.
Ok, thanks!

Who does what she does better, Spinosaurus?

Top Bottom