• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Ricky 7

I managed to stage spike using Seismic Toss as Charizard but I can't replicate it in training mode, don't know how it happened:
FOb64HU.gif

It can't just be a window, because there was one time where I grabbed the mecha koopa after it had been running for ~5 seconds. I wish we could record the AI doing things in training mode so this stuff can get demystified.

I know Mario is your main. I read your posts. :)
Yeah, good point. I have no idea then. And yeah, I suppose my Mario love is quite transparent.

What is a bad stage to you? I thought Yoshi Island was fairly neutral, but we can just play on FD or battlefield.
It might be neutral for most characters, but it cuts Bowser's specials in half. I can't jump and Fire Breath, and I can't punish with Bowser Bomb. Also, this lag is atrocious. Last one.

Edit: Fuck it. I can't dodge or shield any of this with a half second of delay.

Neki

It might be neutral for most characters, but it cuts Bowser's specials in half. I can't jump and Fire Breath, and I can't punish with Bowser Bomb. Also, this lag is atrocious. Last one.

Sorry, our connection is bad and we couldn't get in any good games. I didn't realize Yoshi's Island was bad for Bowser, I'll avoid picking in the future if I'm playing against a bowser main. S

FSLink

Banned
Megaman is so satisfying to use, he's definitely my favorite to use in this game but man some of his matchups are impossible against a good player. His playstyle definitely reminds me more like Melee Marth with less range, grab game + projectiles. :p I have secondaries for Rosalina and other jerks with reflectors but still.

Sorry, our connection is bad and we couldn't get in any good games. I didn't realize Yoshi's Island was bad for Bowser, I'll avoid picking in the future if I'm playing against a bowser main. S
IMO, Final Destination is the only good stage type. Even Battlefield cuts off so many options. I don't know why people praise it. Everyone just fights to get the bottom flat platform on it anyway.

Azure J

IMO, Final Destination is the only good stage type. Even Battlefield cuts off so many options. I don't know why people praise it. Everyone just fights to get the bottom flat platform on it anyway.

This is quite a bold statement tbh. Smash wouldn't be half as much fun as it is without platforms.

This is quite a bold statement tbh. Smash wouldn't be half as much fun as it is without platforms.
You're not even playing it!

Look, if you play someone like Marth, where all you do is jump forward and swing your sword, it's not a big deal. But Sakurai decided to make some characters gimp on platformed stages. Bowser isn't the only one. Pikachu can't use Thunder in a lot of situations on a platform stage.

I mean, it cuts off some options, but it opens up other ones.
It opens up options for the person on the bottom. That's it. Those platforms cut MY CHARACTER IN HALF. That's not a good trade for playability.

It opens up options for the person on the bottom. That's it. Those platforms cut MY CHARACTER IN HALF. That's not a good trade for playability.
I think the issue is your looking at it from the vantage point of your character. For someone like Mario, I'm at a disadvantage if there aren't platforms because it limits my air game, which is strong point of his character. That's why in tournament play there's counterpicking of stages, because certain stages effect certain characters differently.

FSLink

Banned
Battlefield is great but it definitely is a worse matchup for slower characters with less quick aerial moves much like how FD gives Little Mac and projectile users a slight edge. It doesn't make Battlefield bad. Stop being so salty Karst. ;P (I kid, I kid) I don't personally feel Bowser is that limited on Battlefield though. It's just that some of his worse matchups get even worse on Battlefield.

Also Pikachu is probably better with platforms due to his mobility plus he can thunder from beneath the stage and recover anyway.

I think the issue is your looking at it from the vantage point of your character. For someone like Mario, I'm at a disadvantage if there aren't platforms because it limits my air game, which is strong point of his character. That's why in tournament play there's counterpicking of stages, because certain stages effect certain characters differently.
A platformless stage can't be a hindrence. It's the default. Adding obstacles is the change. Japanese tournaments have been doing all FD-style stages. The very fact that counterpicking stages exists shows how silly this is. There should be one standard, and that's it.

This isn't like "oh, it is a little frustrating". I literally cannot approach or kill players on platform stages in many situations where I can otherwise. That's not okay. It really isn't.

Battlefield is great but it definitely is a worse matchup for slower characters with less quick aerial moves much like how FD gives Little Mac and projectile users a slight edge. It doesn't make Battlefield bad. Stop being so salty Karst. ;P (I kid, I kid) I don't personally feel Bowser is that limited on Battlefield though. It's just that some of his worse matchups get even worse on Battlefield.

Also Pikachu is probably better with platforms due to his mobility plus he can thunder from beneath the stage and recover anyway.
Dude, this is like picking black colors on a black stage in Marvel. Drives me goddamn insane. I can't see anything. I will be salty about that. Just like when people pick Wario's stage. Awful, awful stage.

It's not just a matchup issue. Example of something that happened against Neki earlier: I block an attack, and punish with Bowser Bomb. My opponent is at a high %. On a FD stage, this will kill. On Battlefield, Bowser instead hits the opponent with hits horns, and then leaps up to the next platform, whiffing the attack. Bowser has NO EQUIVALENT PUNISH OPTION to replace this. He literally loses the ability to kill on his punishes as a result of this stage. That's a huge difference. Again, it's not okay.

FSLink

Banned
A platformless stage can't be a hindrence. It's the default. Adding obstacles is the change. Japanese tournaments have been doing all FD-style stages. The very fact that counterpicking stages exists shows how silly this is. There should be one standard, and that's it.

This isn't like "oh, it is a little frustrating". I literally cannot approach or kill players on platform stages in many situations where I can otherwise. That's not okay. It really isn't.
Gotta disagree. Bowser/Little Mac should camp on the bottom and play more of a dodge/shield/counterhit game than going in. It's different and a bit weaker but I don't feel it nullifies their entire gameplan.

If you played Melee playing against someone like Falco on FD is a pain since he has a strong laser game. I'd much prefer a different stage with some platforms. Platforms gives people a different approach.

It's not the standard. There is no standard in Smash Bros. I guess you could make the argument that it is in this game based on the Omega option, but the first Smash Bros. game didn't even have a Final Destination-style stage.

I'm totally not the guy to go deep into this debate because I've not been trying to be a competitive player for long, but a huge part of Smash Bros. is different stage types and knowing how to use characters in all of them. Is Bowser at a disadvantage on Battlefield vs FD? Yes. But a floaty character like Jiggypuff or any other characters that have an aerial-centric play style are also limited when you take away platforms.

Of course, another big part of Smash Bros. is being able to play how you want, so you're totally entitled to playing FD only. I just personally find it limiting to many characters just like you find Battlefield/Yoshi's Island limiting to Bowser.

FSLink

Banned
It's not just a matchup issue. Example of something that happened against Neki earlier: I block an attack, and punish with Bowser Bomb. My opponent is at a high %. On a FD stage, this will kill. On Battlefield, Bowser instead hits the opponent with hits horns, and then leaps up to the next platform, whiffing the attack. Bowser has NO EQUIVALENT PUNISH OPTION to replace this. He literally loses the ability to kill on his punishes as a result of this stage. That's a huge difference. Again, it's not okay.
He still has ftilt or maybe dtilt to setup an edge guard option. It's a weaker option but Bowser still kills rather early compared to most characters despite the different stage.

The stages are a part of the metagame.

It's not the standard. There is no standard in Smash Bros. I guess you could make the argument that it is in this game based on the Omega option, but the first Smash Bros. game didn't even have a Final Destination-style stage.

I'm totally not the guy to go deep into this debate because I've not been trying to be a competitive player for long, but a huge part of Smash Bros. is different stage types and knowing how to use characters in all of them. Is Bowser at a disadvantage on Battlefield vs FD? Yes. But a floaty character like Jiggypuff or any other characters that have an aerial-centric play style are also limited when you take away platforms.

Of course, another big part of Smash Bros. is being able to play how you want, so you're totally entitled to playing FD only. I just personally find it limiting to many characters just like you find Battlefield/Yoshi's Island limiting to Bowser.
Yes, it is the standard. Sakurai actually went out of his way to say "here are FD stages - this is for competitve play". Unless you think you know something Sakurai doesn't, 100% flat stages without platforms is the intended competitive standard by the game's creator.

Dude, this is like picking black colors on a black stage in Marvel. Drives me goddamn insane. I can't see anything. I will be salty about that. Just like when people pick Wario's stage. Awful, awful stage.

He still has ftilt or maybe dtilt to setup an edge guard option. It's a weaker option but Bowser still kills rather early compared to most characters.
Both of those moves have significantly longer startup than Down.B. They cannot punish in a lot of situations.

Also, Bowser doesn't kill until ~150% unless he uses a high-risk move like his forward smash, or gets a successful dtilt at a ledge (~110% for that). Rosalina KOs Bowser with an utilt (I think?) at 110%.

Anth0ny

This honestly sounds sarcastic. You're joking, right?

You know how many characters experience the same thing on FD? Fuck that stage. The lack of platforms cuts my character in half! More characters struggle on FD than they do on Battlefield or Yoshi's.

I'm not even sure where you're getting this from. I've found a ton of success with Bowser on Battlefield. More than on FD, honestly.

and no other characters have stage specific punishes right

BAN ALL THE STAGES EXCEPT THE ONE WHERE MY CHARACTER CAN GET SUPER SITUATIONAL PUNISHES IN

Neki

I just pick different stages because I'd like to know I can win the match up regardless of the stage, because I know I'm not always going to get FD against all characters, I don't even like FD against some characters as Link. xD

FD adds projectiles as obstacles and a hindrance.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah I'd still rather play with Battlefield than FD as Bowser outside of a few matchups just due to projectiles. He loses a better kill option but it just means you have to make better reads and have more of an off stage game. It's not as big of an issue you're making it out to be.

This honestly sounds sarcastic. You're joking, right?

You know how many characters experience the same thing on FD? Fuck that stage. The lack of platforms cuts my character in half! More characters struggle on FD than they do on Battlefield or Yoshi's.

I'm not even sure where you're getting this from. I've found a ton of success with Bowser on Battlefield. More than on FD, honestly.

and no other characters have stage specific punishes right

BAN ALL THE STAGES EXCEPT THE ONE WHERE MY CHARACTER CAN GET SUPER SITUATIONAL PUNISHES IN
I am completely serious.

Sakurai set FD-type stages as the competitive standard. I think that's clear.

I am "getting this from" 766 1v1 battles with Bowser that I've done so far.

Yeah I'd still rather play with Battlefield than FD as Bowser outside of a few matchups just due to projectiles. He loses a better kill option but it just means you have to make better reads and have more of an off stage game. It's not as big of an issue you're making it out to be.
Dude, the projectiles are easier to avoid in FD. Battlefield makes it harder.

Yes, it is the standard. Sakurai actually went out of his way to say "here are FD stages - this is for competitve play". Unless you think you know something Sakurai doesn't, 100% flat stages without platforms is the intended competitive standard by the game's creator.
I'm not claiming to speak for Sakurai, I'm just talking about my own personal views that some others share.

Alrighty, let's go with that though, as you're correct, Sakurai did introduce FD variants to help with competitive play. Since when has the competitive community ever played just by Sakurai's standards? I'm the last person you'll hear saying "casuals fucking suck! competitive/melee only!!!", but the entire Melee scene is built around making the game do things it wasn't originally designed to do. If Sakurai only wants competitive battles on FD, then I can say I don't want to play the game the way he wants me too. But as he gives us so many customization options, I doubt he cares how I play competitively.

Also, the Invitiational Finals (something Sakurai was involved with) was on Battlefield, so I'm not sure he hates it for competitive play quite as much as you think. Again though, I'm not saying you're playing Smash wrong. You can play it however you want and that's a-ok.

I respectively disagree with this.

Mumei

It can't just be a window, because there was one time where I grabbed the mecha koopa after it had been running for ~5 seconds. I wish we could record the AI doing things in training mode so this stuff can get demystified.

I know Mario is your main. I read your posts. :)

Heh. If you want to experiment with that, I'm up for it. Want to make a room?

I'm not claiming to speak for Sakurai, I'm just talking about my own personal views that some others share.

Alrighty, let's go with that though, as you're correct, Sakurai did introduce FD variants to help with competitive play. Since when has the competitive community ever played just by Sakurai's standards? I'm the last person you'll hear saying "casuals fucking suck! competitive/melee only!!!", but the entire Melee scene is built around making the game do things it wasn't originally designed to do. If Sakurai only wants competitive battles on FD, then I can say I don't want to play the game the way he wants me too. But as he gives us so many customization options, I doubt he cares how I play competitively.

Also, the Invitiational Finals (something Sakurai was involved with) was on Battlefield, so I'm not sure he hates it for competitive play quite as much as you think. Again though, I'm not saying you're playing Smash wrong. You can play it however you want and that's a-ok.
You mean the E3 invitational that was 4 player FFA with items on?

Anyway, I'm not talking about the competitive community. You asked what made FD the "default", and I told you that Sakurai's decision makes it the default. Fin.

Heh. If you want to experiment with that, I'm up for it. Want to make a room?
Another time, sir! Wife time.

FSLink

Banned

Anyway, I'm not talking about the competitive community. You asked what made FD the "default", and I told you that Sakurai's decision makes it the default. Fin.

Another time, sir! Wife time.
The one where they changed it to 1v1 no items for the finals, yes. :p

And yeah, it depends on the projectile/if the player you're playing against knows how to camp well. It's nowhere near as bad as previous games due to Bowser's buffs but it's still there.

Jado

Banned
I'm with the rest here. For certain characters, flat stages are a clear disadvantage and a massive hindrance when your opponent is fast/keeps away/spams projectiles (Sheik, Mega Man), or when your opponent is a skilled Little Mac. I've had a lot of trouble with aggressive, grabby Ganondorf and Captain Falcon players.

I main G&W, my best character by far... and it's crazy how much easier certain match-ups become when I switch to Bowser Jr. or Duck Hunt Dog (and I'm honestly not as good with these two so it confirms stage bias for me). DHD himself has a pretty rough time against rushdown characters on a completely flat stage.

Yeah, I'm talking about the final match, which had no items on and was designed to be more tournament minded.

Not sure why you're being so aggressive and sarcastic, dude. I'm just trying to defend my point, I mean nothing personal.

I mean, your other option Karst is to adapt. If you find the stage so limiting, then practice on it or train with another character. That's how everyone else who plays competitively does it.
This is all my fault, I know no one actually likes Yoshi Island, why did I have to pick it!

I only hate it because of the music. :p

Azure J

Look, if you play someone like Marth, where all you do is jump forward and swing your sword, it's not a big deal. But Sakurai decided to make some characters gimp on platformed stages. Bowser isn't the only one. Pikachu can't use Thunder in a lot of situations on a platform stage.

I'm reading this post over and over and I really don't get what's going on here. Of course match ups and applications of character kit are going to change based on what the stage layout is like. If one option stops being good, clearly that means it's time to invest in other aspects of your character's kit.

Grakl

I am completely serious.

Sakurai set FD-type stages as the competitive standard. I think that's clear.

I am "getting this from" 766 1v1 battles with Bowser that I've done so far.

Sakurai doesn't set the default competitive stages. The community does. You're deluding yourself. I don't think you fundamentally understand why different stages even exist in Smash, which is a very odd position to argue from.

Sakurai doesn't set the default competitive stages. The community does. You're deluding yourself.

Japan only used 3 stages competitively in Brawl (Final Destination, Battlefield, and Smashville). Which makes Sakurai's decision to include a FD mode for each stage more understandable.

Top Bottom