• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

What shield?
The shield on Palutena's arm when doing her dash attack or back-air :3

Will the shield beat ranged throws like ZSS'?
I've not tested it but I don't imagine it would as grabs tend to outright cancel the opponent's attacking state when they connect :eek:
It will, however, eat projectiles, other people's non-armoured attacks and can even sometimes eat the hitboxes on some counters :p

LuuKyK

Smash Run is the best mode in the game. In fact its pretty much the only mode that didn't get boring for me. It changes every time, provide you with every kind of items/trophies and ends with different types of smash. I am really enjoying it.

McNum

Things I've learned today:

1. Why my Zelda gets punished so hard when teleporting onto the stage.
That is quite the recovery time on that. Tried holding down Shield in training mode and see how long it took for the shield to appear... ouch. That explains a lot. Need to stop spamming it... so the opponent won't see it coming when I actually do want a teleport KO to happen.

2. The exact range of Faroe's Wind.
Half of Final Destination when used horizontally, Zelda's double jump height when used vertically. This allows me to use it to punish ranged attacks as long as I manage to keep center stage and force the opponent away. It's dangerous to teleport towards the edge like that, though, but it's all down to spacing. This is the right way to use it, I think.

3. Zelda's normal attacks are... decent.
He down tilt is underrated, I think. She goes very low, it comes out fast, and its range is slightly shorter than her forward tilt. Her dash attack is... meh. I should try to not use it so much. And of course, her kicks need to be respected in the air.

So, yeah. I might pick Zelda as my main for now. Still need to learn when to use what, like sneaky uses for the Phantom and ways to apporach that are safe-ish. I did notice that Din's Fire launched when jumping forward will track on top of Zelda. That has to be useful somehow...

Anyone got any non-obvious Zelda tips? I don't use her grab nearly enough, I think.

Valus

Fun matches Oric. I don't know much about Charizard, but since he's a heavy like the Dorf I would recommend being patient with him. Since he's bulky he is easily punishable when he whiffs, so tilts and grabs are your friend!

I'd be down! Any beginner tips? Other than try and not spam flare blitz.
He's a character that you can't be aggressive with. More of a defensive, punisher character that excels at gimping. NAir is your bread and butter move, learn the right situations to use it. Flamethrow is excellent for spacing, and use Rock Smash as a pseudo counter or a free get-out-of-jail card against juggles. (Or not so free, since it's punishable if missed) Flare Blitz should be used as a hard punish against pretty most things, including rolls, but it's pretty risky so you have to know the right ways to use it. It's all pretty basic (still learning him),

He really shines off stage, so go for gimps when possible. Also his jab is fantastic and quick, and can even confirm into kills. (Jab1-Jab 2 into Fly is near guaranteed on some characters but it does work on everyone)

Fun matches Oric. I don't know much about Charizard, but since he's a heavy like the Dorf I would recommend being patient with him. Since he's bulky he is easily punishable when he whiffs, so tilts and grabs are your friend!
Yeah, I literally decided today I'm determined to get decent with a heavy character, and he's my choice. I'm so bad with tilts as I've never used them, so it's been an uphill battle getting my muscle memory to learn them. 3DS slider isn't doing any favors. But yes, great games!

He's a character that you can't be aggressive with. More of a defensive, punisher character that excels at gimping. NAir is your bread and butter move, learn the right situations to use it. Flamethrow is excellent for spacing, and use Rock Smash as a pseudo counter or a free get-out-of-jail card against juggles. (Or not so free, since it's punishable if missed) Flare Blitz should be used as a hard punish against pretty most things, including rolls, but it's pretty risky so you have to know the right ways to use it. It's all pretty basic (still learning him),

He really shines off stage, so go for gimps when possible. Also his jab is fantastic and quick, and can even confirm into kills. (Jab1-Jab 2 into Fly is near guaranteed on some characters but it does work on everyone)
All this is great, thanks! I'll start trying use his nair and jab combo more.

Things I've learned today:

1. Why my Zelda gets punished so hard when teleporting onto the stage.
That is quite the recovery time on that. Tried holding down Shield in training mode and see how long it took for the shield to appear... ouch. That explains a lot. Need to stop spamming it... so the opponent won't see it coming when I actually do want a teleport KO to happen.

2. The exact range of Faroe's Wind.
Half of Final Destination when used horizontally, Zelda's double jump height when used vertically. This allows me to use it to punish ranged attacks as long as I manage to keep center stage and force the opponent away. It's dangerous to teleport towards the edge like that, though, but it's all down to spacing. This is the right way to use it, I think.

3. Zelda's normal attacks are... decent.
He down tilt is underrated, I think. She goes very low, it comes out fast, and its range is slightly shorter than her forward tilt. Her dash attack is... meh. I should try to not use it so much. And of course, her kicks need to be respected in the air.

So, yeah. I might pick Zelda as my main for now. Still need to learn when to use what, like sneaky uses for the Phantom and ways to apporach that are safe-ish. I did notice that Din's Fire launched when jumping forward will track on top of Zelda. That has to be useful somehow...

Anyone got any non-obvious Zelda tips? I don't use her grab nearly enough, I think.

you might find this little tidbit handy. Takes some practice to pull off reliably though :p
http://smashboards.com/threads/zeldas-roll-cancel-pivot-grab-approaching-melee-marth-levels.373339/

ec0ec0

That's why you chase off stage.

no, thats what you did in past games like in melee. Since then, it has only get harder (depending on the situation you can or cant) to edgeguard people because the developers have continually added mechanics that help the off-stage player.

Voliko

Hahaha, successfully gimped a Pac-Man's recovery online just now. As he was bouncing for his UpB, I snuck under him and took the third bounce away. :D
This happened to me once. I was like what is this guy trying to do going down there and not even hitting me?? I didn't realize until I fell to my death.

Basically it counts as a jump. None of Palutena's aerials have landing lag, so no. :p

Let me guess... jump-glide? :3 It's fun just gliding around with it and doing aerials super safely just because the momentum will carry you flying past them XD
I'm holding off on customs for the most part until the Wii-U version, but when they do I think I'll be abusing rocket-jump as it's a great KO move, especially out of shield :D

on a fun note, people have been saying that explosive flame is unblockable???

Mumei

Basically it counts as a jump. None of Palutena's aerials have landing lag, so no. :p

WHAT

I have a list of "fixes" a mile long which have less to do with actual balance and more to do with "things that irritate me and I don't want to deal with."

*adds to the list*

Let me guess... jump-glide? :3 It's fun just gliding around with it and doing aerials super safely just because the momentum will carry you flying past them XD
I'm holding off on customs for the most part until the Wii-U version, but when they do I think I'll be abusing rocket-jump as it's a great KO move, especially out of shield :D

on a fun note, people have been saying that explosive flame is unblockable???
Wow, unblockable?!

Jump Glide and Super Speed.

Charizard is fun, especially if you're surprising with Flare Blitz, and no one expects him to have a meteor smash. But I assume he's going to go mostly unplayed because Bowser is the best heavy right now.

Great advice, thanks! Who would you say are his best and worst matchups?

late reply but:

My personal opinion is that Yoshi will ultimately struggle in a few key matchups in the metagame but I will be playing him anyway as I've always mained him. He will probably be in the second to third tiers (below S tier) because of a few bad matchups. It's still difficult to say how his matchups are going to turn out but I've personally struggled against people that force me to approach them but are shield happy. It's hard for Yoshi to fight these types of defensive players because his shield grab is so weak and it turns into a game of egg spamming and hoping they stop being defensive.

Defensive little mac, pac man, captain falcon and rosalina probably have an advantage. However, I've maintained a good win ratio in for glory mode against all these characters, so will have to see.

edit: I also genuinely believe it is impossible for Yoshi to kill Pacman if he decides to run away on FD mode the whole game.

McNum

you might find this little tidbit handy. Takes some practice to pull off reliably though :p
http://smashboards.com/threads/zeldas-roll-cancel-pivot-grab-approaching-melee-marth-levels.373339/
She can grab... HOW far?

So it's "Dash away from opponent, hit Shield and opposite direction, press A." We'll I've been experimenting with standard Roll Cancel grabs, but not one going to opposite direction yet. I think I can get the timing down.

Adding this to my Zelda would make her a lot scarier...

Top Bottom