• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Marow

To you who have the game (because I'm curious and can't wait for the Wii U version >_<'): does Ike play similarly to as he did in Brawl? He was my favorite there and I loved how you had to play strategically while also having a great range with your sword (not to mention the quick and deadly bair)!

I don't feel safe! Anyway, I have to run for a bit. I'm feeling a bit demoralized at the moment. T_T
:-(

Well, any time you want to use me as a training mode dummy, just let me know. I am glad to help. Just get away from that jump into double fair, it kills you. :p

To you who have the game (because I'm curious and can't wait for the Wii U version >_<'): does Ike play similarly to as he did in Brawl? He was my favorite there and I loved how you had to play strategically while also having a great range with your sword (not to mention the quick and deadly bair)!

I also used Ike in Brawl, and he pretty much feels the same.

Ike is VERY similar to his Brawl counterpart. Actually, he's the one character that doesn't feel all that changed to me, slightly faster I guess.

Nabster92

Joining. Might only be able to play for about 20 minute though. Gotta grab dinner after that. Can play some more after if you'd still want to.

She can grab... HOW far?

So it's "Dash away from opponent, hit Shield and opposite direction, press A." We'll I've been experimenting with standard Roll Cancel grabs, but not one going to opposite direction yet. I think I can get the timing down.

Adding this to my Zelda would make her a lot scarier...

That's the idea ;D

I can Roll cancel grabs pretty reliably, but I find the timing for the pivot version a bit more finicky. Could just be me though :3

McNum

Okay, been practicing that Zelda dash cancel pivot grab thing. Two things about it.

1. This thing is scary!
2. I can do this.

I'll have to practice it again before taking it into a real fight, but it's not too difficult to pull off, and if I limit it to punishing air approaches, it's easy enough to remember to use. I mean it's more useful than that, but I have to limit it, otherwise I'll just spend the match trying to do it all the time, and then I get beat up. Besides, a failed input either gives me a roll or a pivot f-tilt, and none of those are inherently bad.

Next on the agenda after this... "Yay, I grabbed someone. Now what?"

daripad

Guys, any advice to get these home run contest challenges?

IMO he is the one who changed the less in this game and I'm glad because he is great that way

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Nabster92

That's fine. You're still as good as you were at Brawl (much better than me)

Haha thanks. You're still doing pretty well yourself. Haven't played too many Wii Fit Trainers.

I should probably go pick up my food now though. Nice playing with you again since the Brawl days. I'll be on again later if you wanna play some more.

Okay, been practicing that Zelda dash cancel pivot grab thing. Two things about it.

1. This thing is scary!
2. I can do this.

I'll have to practice it again before taking it into a real fight, but it's not too difficult to pull off, and if I limit it to punishing air approaches, it's easy enough to remember to use. I mean it's more useful than that, but I have to limit it, otherwise I'll just spend the match trying to do it all the time, and then I get beat up. Besides, a failed input either gives me a roll or a pivot f-tilt, and none of those are inherently bad.

Next on the agenda after this... "Yay, I grabbed someone. Now what?"

I'm not too well versed on Zelda's throw combos, but I know you can do down throw into jumping (full jump) neutral air as a true combo at low %. If you feel up to the challenge you can try down throw into aerial up-b but it's tricky and can be DI'ed away from.

I suggest you find some tournament footage of Nairo playing Zelda as they've been doing surprisingly well with them :3

RiggyRob

Wario's Bite can eat Arcfire holy shit

That's hilarious - one of the things I really like about Smash is learning something new by accident e.g. Mr Game & Watch's Up-Smash can reflect Pac-Man's fire hydrant straight upwards while it's coming down and KO him.

Does anyone have the numbers of how many different custom moves/equipment/trophies/parts/Smash Run powers etc. there are in the game?

Currently on:
71 Custom Parts
191 Custom Equipment
90 Special Moves
25 Headgear
10 Outfits
52 Bonus Effects
365 Trophies

I'm not studying atm so I can't play for a couple days but watch this:

http://www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator/b/581477902

Starting at 3:22:26, Aerolink plays his heart out with default Palutena and crushes nerds.

Back Airs. Back Airs everywhere :p
I'm really bad for not doing jab->grab. It's a great little way to open someone up but I always forget about it mid-match XD
Looks like Aero's smacking people in the face with reflector now too :p

What non-gameplay things would you guys change about some characters in this game? For example, I want Bowser's Brawl up taunt back, and Peach's Melee "Sweet!"

Cedric

Obviously I mean to play against. But I have my pocket character to out annoy

Hahaha, you know I haven't ever played against a Rosalina, so to me the most annoying characters are Diddy and Sonic. What is it exactly that you find annoying? I'd play as other characters but I fail at everyone else lol :p

Hahaha, you know I haven't ever played against a Rosalina, so to me the most annoying characters are Diddy and Sonic. What is it exactly that you find annoying? I'd play as other characters but I fail at everyone else lol :p

Lol no no you keep playing as who you want. You're doing nothing wrong playing as Rosalina. She just has incredible rolls and dodges, plus Luma eating up hits that makes it very hard to develop a rhythm in attacking her. Hard to combo or chain into moves.

Moonlight

Banned
Sorry about the abrupt exit, Spino. Had to jump out of the game ASAP to help with a home renovation thing. Good games, though! I've never had the pleasure of fighting a good Wario before, haha. All the ones I run into on For Glory just run the length of the stage, then turn around at the end, and run the other way back, which makes it super easy to hit them out with an Arcfire. You're way more creative, so I kept psyching myself out on sending out Arcfires a lot of the time. Still got bodied hard, but at least I know what a proper Wario can do. Those Waft set-ups, man.

And I didn't even know Wario could eat projectiles till just now. The match-up just got scarier for Robin. :lol

Mumei

:-(

Well, any time you want to use me as a training mode dummy, just let me know. I am glad to help. Just get away from that jump into double fair, it kills you. :p

I'm not sure what you mean by double fair. Do I fair twice after I jump on a regular basis? And I just don't feel safe. It seems like I would be just as vulnerable to you if you were doing something like that dash command grab, or if you were doing the sliding custom fortress move; I'm not sure I was actually safe. And if you were actually playing, instead of standing in place and allowing me to approach, I'm not sure how I'd be any less vulnerable to you doing something like rolling behind me.

I don't know. I'm going to keep working on it, but it just feels sort of hopeless. Bleh.

I'm not sure what you mean by double fair. Do I fair twice after I jump on a regular basis? And I just don't feel safe. It seems like I would be just as vulnerable to you if you were doing something like that dash command grab, or if you were doing the sliding custom fortress move; I'm not sure I was actually safe. And if you were actually playing, instead of standing in place and allowing me to approach, I'm not sure how I'd be any less vulnerable to you doing something like rolling behind me.

I don't know. I'm going to keep working on it, but it just feels sort of hopeless. Bleh.
You do. It is what I usually end up punishing.

I did lots of hops into fairs against you as Lucina, and it seemed pretty solid. I tried to punish with Bowser, and I couldn't when you did it right. The only thing I might be able to pull off was dashing after you into a grab, but if you hop into fair you can cancel into f.B before you land, so your front is covered. I encourage you to explore it further! I think it is the right direction.

I see, thanks. IIRC, Lucina is just a straight up Marth clone that can deal more damage right? I usually dislike clone characters, but in Smash they tend to have differences that make me like them.
Lucina's blade has the damage spread out over its hitbox. Marth does more at the tip, less at the hilt.

Sorry about the abrupt exit, Spino. Had to jump out of the game ASAP to help with a home renovation thing. Good games, though! I've never had the pleasure of fighting a good Wario before, haha. All the ones I run into on For Glory just run the length of the stage, then turn around at the end, and run the other way back, which makes it super easy to hit them out with an Arcfire. You're way more creative, so I kept psyching myself out on sending out Arcfires a lot of the time. Still got bodied hard, but at least I know what a proper Wario can do. Those Waft set-ups, man.

And I didn't even know Wario could eat projectiles till just now. The match-up just got scarier for Robin. :lol
Thanks! Shame we had to end our session like that.

Wario cant really eat disjointed hitboxes though so that's still a pain. :lol

GGs Cedric. That Rosalina custom is crazy. So much distance

Sooo.... does Mii have a KO punch??? What's that thing?

It's more like Donkey Kong's windup punch. You have to charge it. Not as powerful though. It only KO's if the Mii is grounded. Kills at around 90 to 100

Top Bottom