• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Can't wait to watch! I love watching people slay with Palutena. I've run into a couple of really solid players on FG, and I made sure to save the videos. :3

Spoilers about Aerolink's run:

He got 4th place in the tournament but he was looking like a solid 1st or 2nd place but he BNF'd his counter input and had a side b happen which caused him to lose the last set. I can't wait to watch Aeroink play next Friday

Nabster92

Sorry Nasbter, I didn't mean to jump into that I swear lol It went jump a instead of smash a

also, you're destroying me. 2 Lumas is hella confusing though, this is my first time playing another Rosalina (as hard as it is to believe).

Lol do you use tap jump? Also you don't have to SD when i SD. Especially when you kinda earned that one by eating my jump some time when i didn't realize it.

Cedric

Lol do you use tap jump? Also you don't have to SD when i SD. Especially when you kinda earned that one by eating my jump some time when i didn't realize it.

Yea, only on 3DS though. I find it easier to use than X/Y (GC controller though it's X for me).

I dunno, I feel like the times you SD'd weren't at all because of me, that's why I kill myself afterwards.

Those were some epic face-offs on the ledge ahahah

Spoilers about Aerolink's run:

He got 4th place in the tournament but he was looking like a solid 1st or 2nd place but he BNF'd his counter input and had a side b happen which caused him to lose the last set. I can't wait to watch Aeroink play next Friday

Am I seeing Aerolink do a short-hop fast fall INTO f-air/b-air? I've been trying it in practice and can't get the attack to come out before it gets auto-cancelled by me hititng the floor XD
I can do short-hop f-air/b-air THEN fast fall but that doesn't look like what he's doing :eek:

edit: nevermind, I got it. He's just doing the f-air/b-air at the very last second before he inputs fast-fall. Timing is super tricky :eek:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If you somehow experience obscene lag and your opponent proceeds to either R.O.B. laser spam you or Link Arrow > Boomerang spam you and you mainly want to play as Ganondorf, Bowser and ZSS then what options do I have?

I bought the game! Woo!

Ok, what control scheme does everyone use? Because I'm having a hard time adjusting to a placement for jump and the two attack buttons. I hate using up to jump so I prefer an actual button but my brain is just not wanting to accept any setup even when I move it around.

OmegaFax

I'm almost done with All-Star mode. I'm still missing a few characters because I haven't received a challenge completion yet. Hard to tell which ones though.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Am I seeing Aerolink do a short-hop fast fall INTO f-air/b-air? I've been trying it in practice and can't get the attack to come out before it gets auto-cancelled by me hititng the floor XD
I can do short-hop f-air/b-air THEN fast fall but that doesn't look like what he's doing :eek:

edit: nevermind, I got it. He's just doing the f-air/b-air at the very last second before he inputs fast-fall. Timing is super tricky :eek:

Honestly, I gave up on trying to learn super in depth stuff like this. The circle pad is just not cut out for this level of play without danger of breaking it.

Edit: At least until Wii U version ofc.

Oh, I just thought the "no lag after Jump Glide aerials" had been disproven. If not, however, then rejoice!
Oh no, it's definitely lagless. Mumei can attest to that.

I'm wondering: Why is it that I can never get my neutral moves to fully connect? I'm talking about the neutral jab attacks that hit multiple times, with a final hit that launches away. When I'm hit by them, I never get out of them; when I do them against other people I always leave myself vulnerable because they drop out of it. This happened to me against Karsticles a lot and I found it really frustrating.
Well, part of it is that you're fighting Bowser. Bowser has hyper armor against low % attacks until he gets past 56%. That's why you will sometimes hit him, and he'll just punch you right back - he has very minimal hitstun. That's also why, once you get me past 56%, I'm flying all over the place like every other character. ;-)

I'm almost done with All-Star mode. I'm still missing a few characters because I haven't received a challenge completion yet. Hard to tell which ones though.
In your records, I think it tells you how many times you've completed All-Star Mode with each character.

emb

If you somehow experience obscene lag and your opponent proceeds to either R.O.B. laser spam you or Link Arrow > Boomerang spam you and you mainly want to play as Ganondorf, Bowser and ZSS then what options do I have?
Obscene lag? Jump off the side, find new opponent.

Honestly, I gave up on trying to learn super in depth stuff like this. The circle pad is just not cut out for this level of play without danger of breaking it.

Edit: At least until Wii U version ofc.
I can't blame you. I'm always paranoid about my 3DS lasting until the Wii-U version comes out, but I'm not super harsh on it so hopefully it should be ok :3

Looking at the tournie finder vid:
I'm not convinced Aero's counter attempt would've have worked anyhoo as it as a surprisingly long wind-up time before it gains counter properties :/

Gotcha. No real defense if I can't do much so may as well.
The first thing I do with any laggy match is leave as soon as it's over. It's a shame because I've encountered some interesting fighters that I've had terribad connections with, but I doubt I'd really learn everything when it's slideshowing or on the odd but bizarre occasion there's very noticable input lag.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
My circle pad was compromised before Smash; it's so stiff, so I'm not minding if I suck at Smash right now.
I recently went to my relatively unused 3DS and holy shit that thing moves like a beauty.

Cedric

Ahhh good games Nabster, it was equally fun and demoralizing lol. Play you in the future, hopefully it'll be less embarrassing :p

Cedric

Do most of you tap to jump or use x/y on the 3DS? I find that using x/y to jump on 3DS isn't as effective as on the GC controller.

Do most of you tap to jump or use x/y on the 3DS? I find that using x/y to jump on 3DS isn't as effective as on the GC controller.

It's much better than Control Stick up for jumping. Easier to pull off short hops this way, too.

Man, I want to show you guys my Captain Falcon play but I can't ever get a good online connection. Looks like I'll have to wait for the Wii U version =[

Nabster92

impossible to avoid gimping in this lag. I'm giving it one more try

edit: Yup, unplayable. Thanks anyway.

:/ Sorry bout the lag. Good games anyways. Was not expecting that first arrow to kill at that % first game.

Any Rosalina users wanna play? I need to get some practice in against her. :p

I can play a few more if you still want to.

I feel like it has a similar dynamic for me at least. As long as I can hit jump with the top of my thumb and roll down to the middle of it to hit A, then it feels good enough for me. And technically you can do the same thing with B and Y now to do up B out of shield if you need to (though I'd still feel more comfortable using L to jump for that anyways). Plus I can't use tap jump anymore ever since Brawl allowed me to not have to. Would just always make me jump when I don't actually want to if I did.

Unbounded

:/ Sorry bout the lag. Good games anyways. Was not expecting that first arrow to kill at that % first game.

I can play a few more if you still want to.

I feel like it has a similar dynamic for me at least. As long as I can hit jump with the top of my thumb and roll down to the middle of it to hit A, then it feels good enough for me. And technically you can do the same thing with B and Y now to do up B out of shield if you need to (though I'd still feel more comfortable using L to jump for that anyways). Plus I can't use tap jump anymore ever since Brawl allowed me to not have to. Would just always make me jump when I don't actually want to if I did.

Let's a go!

4167-4668-7165

SoulUnison

Banned
I know someone who picked Wario against me and tried to spam the bike because it got them every time. Didn't work well for them though.

I always see FG players going for Mac after a few matches and then quitting when they lose. =/

I love when someone get upset online about a move or technique that consistently works on them and then they switch to the same character to prove a point, but they can't make it work for them, if at all.

Top Bottom