• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Falawful

Uhhhhh communication error and now my 3DS is stuck at a loading screen. Huh.

Anyway, awesome games man. I learned a lot about how to deal with Sonic today. Good Robin too.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, figured that's what happened. Matches were a bit more bumpy today compared to yesterday, but GGs.

My Robin's alright, but the only character I've really put some time into is Sonic.

MGrant

So, the black plastic ring/cap underneath my circle pad's rubber cover has cracked in four places, and it's become difficult to reaffix, even with krazy glue and two-part epoxy(!) due to the shifting plastic bits. I haven't been particularly rough with it (what I'd consider moderate usage and applied torque), and the system is less than a year old, but I'd like to fix it myself in order to keep participating in local smash tournaments instead of waiting a month for Nintendo's repair team to do it.

So I'm thinking of recasting a medium-hard rubber circle pad cap that is one solid piece (as it should have been, Nintendo) using a plaster mold, and then bonding that with the plastic nub. I'm getting the new 3ds xl next year, so I'm not too concerned with keeping a matching set of parts.

Will this work? Anyone who is knowledgeable about rubber able to tell me if shore 70A hardness is adequate, or if something harder is needed? What adhesive will work best for affixing hard rubber to plastic?

So, the black plastic ring/cap underneath my circle pad's rubber cover has cracked in four places, and it's become difficult to reaffix, even with krazy glue and two-part epoxy(!) due to the shifting plastic bits. I haven't been particularly rough with it (what I'd consider moderate usage and applied torque), and the system is less than a year old, but I'd like to fix it myself in order to keep participating in local smash tournaments instead of waiting a month for Nintendo's repair team to do it.

So I'm thinking of recasting a medium-hard rubber circle pad cap that is one solid piece (as it should have been, Nintendo) using a plaster mold, and then bonding that with the plastic nub. I'm getting the new 3ds xl next year, so I'm not too concerned with keeping a matching set of parts.

Will this work? Anyone who is knowledgeable about rubber able to tell me if shore 70A hardness is adequate, or if something harder is needed? What adhesive will work best for affixing hard rubber to plastic?
Oh man I dred this happening to mines. I got that xy xl so I've had my 3ds for almost a year. Ill be highly upset if it gets messed up. Wii u version needs to arrive already so I can move on to that one :(

I think I've settled on a main and am ready to try out For Glory. After much deliberation, I'm going with Pac-Man!

Thus far, I've found that PM suits my style best. I love his running standard and super moves: they're both powerful and land frequently if you can get the right positioning. Fortunately, his up super is great for retreating if your positioning is off or you got caught in a bad spot. His projectile is "good enough" for me. I don't need Pit's or Link's arrows, just something short range to keep people honest. The down super (from midair) is similar: not overpowered, but good enough to keep people honest and keep you safe. Finally, I find smash attacks easier to pull off with PM and they all have pretty good range.

Anyone else here use him and have some advice for competitive play?

Things I need to learn to do in this game:

1. Not SD
2. Everything else

I feel like over 90% of my deaths are entirely my fault. Especially the ones at sub-10% damage.......

That will come with playing the levels and learning the level design. Certain levels are SD magnets: the auto scrolling levels (Mario 3D World and Kirby level), levels with crumbling ground (Gerudo Valley and Green Hill Zone), and some just have very few footholds where it's more important to find safe ground than to actually fight (Spirit Train and last part of the Paper Mario level). You'll get it with practice.

Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916081

I really hope that all of you who joined up on the tourney are still participating, it would be a great shame if there was a huge amount of players who ended up dropping out, or was a no show.

Please confirm in the thread that you will still be participating. And if you never were included then please post in thread that you would like to join. Thank you.

Since Batty is on mobile, I'll be running the tournament in his stead. First things first, we should check to see how many people are left to participate. Please quote this post and say "I'm in" if you'll be playing so we can get this started on time.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Man I feel dirty. I went to gamestop for the first time in years because I wanted to play Xenoblade after playing some Shulk and they only had a preowned copy. 55 bucks, covered in stickers that at least come off easily and disc looks ok enough.

emb

Man I feel dirty. I went to gamestop for the first time in years because I wanted to Xenoblade after playing some Shulk and they only had a preowned copy. 55 bucks, covered in stickers that at least come off easily and disc looks ok enough.
Nah, you should feel good. You bought Xenoblade (intending to play it). No one who does that is a bad person.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That will come with playing the levels and learning the level design. Certain levels are SD magnets: the auto scrolling levels (Mario 3D World and Kirby level), levels with crumbling ground (Gerudo Valley and Green Hill Zone), and some just have very few footholds where it's more important to find safe ground than to actually fight (Spirit Train and last part of the Paper Mario level). You'll get it with practice.

I'm just playing Omega stages and Battlefield. Lol.

It's mostly these controls. I'll go out for an edge guard. Do the wrong thing because my fingers are confused and the circle pad is shit. SD. I never did figure out a control setup that worked for me. I've used the default controls almost the whole time and I still fumble around and hit the wrong buttons and almost never roll or shield. Tried changing to something more "comfortable" and natural but it still didn't help. I need a Gamecube controller, bad.

Doesn't help that I'm a lot more used to the feel of PM. I do a lot of stuff that doesn't work in this game.

I'm just playing Omega stages and Battlefield. Lol.

It's mostly these controls. I'll go out for an edge guard. Do the wrong thing because my fingers are confused and the circle pad is shit. SD. I never did figure out a control setup that worked for me. I've used the default controls almost the whole time and I still fumble around and hit the wrong buttons and almost never roll or shield. Tried changing to something more "comfortable" and natural but it still didn't help. I need a Gamecube controller, bad.

Doesn't help that I'm a lot more used to the feel of PM. I do a lot of stuff that doesn't work in this game.

Hah, I gotcha. I thought the edge guard and planking were both weakened in the new Smash games. I don't see people doing it as much when I spectate. So sorry I can't be of any help there. I'd just as soon say to forget it as it's not worth risking a SD.

So this just happened:

Nintendo said:
Dear finalist,

Not long now until battle commences at the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS National Championship Grand Final!

As we count down to Friday's event we have an exciting announcement to make
You will be some of the first UK gamers to battle it out on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
All of the Grand Final battles will all be played on the Wii U version of the title using Nintendo GameCube controllers

Copies of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be available at the event for you to test your skills before you battle in the main arena

I'm gonna get to play the Wii U version this Friday :D Only downside is that I don't like cameras and I think this will be streamed.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing some For Glory matches. I think I am 3 for 14 so far... geeze I am unfathomably terrible.

4/15! My opponent SD'd twice just now...

Around 6/25 now. Getting, uh. Somewhere.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Is there some sort of combo score during a single round of Target Blast? One of my Perfects had 30k, but I went back recently on another character and only got to 20k.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I think I'm done embarrassing myself for now. Other people in the house using the Internet and it's getting laggy.

I won like 7 matches though, out of maybe 30. That's something.

georly

Anyone have any good zelda videos I can try to learn from?

Edit: Where the heck is 1.03 on the eshop? You HAVE to search for it?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why but I feel like FG players just a got a whole lot better

Or maybe it's because I'm using Ganondorf today

I think three of the four players I played were pretty good at least. They all had at least one or two characters where they really seemed to know what they were doing and mopped the floor with me for a while before I started learning them and making some progress.

Last guy was a kind of scrubby, over-aggressive Link. I lost to him a couple times because I was getting impatient and it started getting laggy.

Also, I didn't really even think about it but my matches were pretty lag-free up until the end... that's a good sign.

SoldnerKei

didn't know pac-man could be so freaking annoying and spammy, need to hit for glory more often, but I am farming smooth landing equip, so far I only have shoes >_>

emb

Pac Man always gets me killed with the key. Save it, after a few situations I'll kinda forget about it, then he'll whiff punish me for some random move with the key, even if he's all the way across the stage or something.

MGrant

I can't use Ness for shit. I think CHarlizard is god tier.
Duck Hunt
isn't that great either.

Ness is my main, but I understand people who have problems with his style. To me, he's all about harassment and knowing what situation you're in at all times so you can either punish, retreat, or keep harassing. His biggest weakness is that he doesn't have any safe landing options; characters like C. Falc can punish landings and most of Ness's moveset from the middle of the stage.

PK Fire is super when you catch someone with it and can follow it up with a down throw > forward air > forward air > forward air, but this only works at low percentages, and only if your opponent doesn't hold up or back as you throw them (try to throw them at the same time you grab them so they have a harder time reacting). But don't spam PK Fire if your opponent is shielding them at close range; you'll get punished every time.

PK Thunder is your main harassment tool. The most obvious tactic is to toss your opponent into the air, then nail them with as many PK Thunders as you can until they land. If your opponent is coming back from the side of the stage, and you know they're going to make it with ease, be sure to try to hit them with the tail of the PK Thunder in order to throw off their rhythm: it passes through moves that the head won't. Use it to punish reckless dash-ins and keep space between yourself and the opponent until you're in a good position to approach. Don't hesitate to occasionally use it as a close-range tool in the air or on the ground, too. Don't use it to shoot yourself at your opponent unless you're sure it will hit. That is a good way to get killed.

PK Flash is a so-so edge guarding tool; send it low below the edge against characters like Link and Marth who have to travel a distance upward while vulnerable in order to recover, and try to catch them between the start and endpoints of their up b. One of my favorite damage-building tactics is to back-throw an opponent at low percentage, and if they try to jump back over you, hit them with an uncharged PK Flash.

Ness's aerials are great. Back air kills from the edge of the stage at 120-130%. If you predict an opponent's jump, nail it with forward air, then another forward air if possible. You can catch a lot of people during their approach with a fast-falling neutral air, or in the air if you manage to navigate to their sides, but keep in mind Ness's stubby arms are simply outranged by some characters in the air. Up air should be used sparingly as a surprise kill move for opponents expecting a PK Thunder, or comboed into from down-throw if your opponent tries to DI over you. Down air is a great spike, but hard to use effectively until you get a feel for Ness's falling speed. Try running off the edge of the stage while the opponent is below you and hitting them with a back-air or neutral air. Save your second jump so you can hop back onstage. You can also catch some opponents recovering from above with a neutral air; this is a great way to handle Little Mac.

And always remember that back throw, yo-yo, and bat are the way, the truth, and the light.

Voliko

I didn't know disconnecting multiple times could net you a 20 minute ban! I wonder how high it can go? I should just SD next time the lag is too bad in FG.

what national championship is this?
The UK one.

A thing to bear in mind is last I heard they are not paying travel expenses which given train fares not booked in advance are ridiculous* makes me curious if many of the qualifying players from players outside of London will bother to turn up as it is more cost effective to stay at home (even if they won the Wii U, let alone the consolation prize of the Smash Bros goodie bag).

*-Edinburgh to London Kings Cross Super Off-Peak Return is £130 currently and will take around 4.5 hours each way.

emb

I just missed a rest in a match. Waited for about 5 minutes, and still had time to type up this post. Have yet to wake up.

I should have jumped off of the stage sooner. x_x

The UK one.

A thing to bear in mind is last I heard they are not paying travel expenses which given train fares not booked in advance are ridiculous* makes me curious if many of the qualifying players from players outside of London will bother to turn up as it is more cost effective to stay at home (even if they won the Wii U, let alone the consolation prize of the Smash Bros goodie bag).

*-Edinburgh to London Kings Cross Super Off-Peak Return is £130 currently and will take around 4.5 hours each way.

By a stroke of luck, the heat took place 10 minutes from my house, and the final is 15 minutes from my work. Only downside is that I'm going to miss all practice time with the Wii U version because of work. Will probably be at a disadvantage as I won't have practice with a gamecube controller but I don't mind :) Looking forward to getting some game time with the Wii U version.

Top Bottom