• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

DaBoss

Just played a Mega Man in a way I haven't seen. Definitely much different compared to mine, and probably has more success as well. It was a much more campy style play compared to how I play Mega Man.

Me using random probably didn't help in determining what to do against it. It was very hard to approach cause it was metal blade, crash bomb, and lemon spam all day. Metal blade and crash bomb if at a distance. Lemons if I'm close enough. He would then jump after 3 lemons and either land a bit further away and do more lemons, or go behind me and use a back-air.

I played stupidly at times due to input errors and not knowing when to dodge the moves. And then that led to a bit of frustration, but it was interesting to see Mega Man being played that way. It would probably be too boring for me to play him like that. Too safe for my comfort.

The best I did was with Bowser, Link, and Ness. But I whiffed hard with Ness.

The UK one.

A thing to bear in mind is last I heard they are not paying travel expenses which given train fares not booked in advance are ridiculous* makes me curious if many of the qualifying players from players outside of London will bother to turn up as it is more cost effective to stay at home (even if they won the Wii U, let alone the consolation prize of the Smash Bros goodie bag).

*-Edinburgh to London Kings Cross Super Off-Peak Return is £130 currently and will take around 4.5 hours each way.

Actually, someone I know won their way to this and got in touch with Nintendo who apparently seemed to be up for paying for his travel, so if you are going down it's probably not a bad idea to send them an email and ask :3

georly

Just played a Mega Man in a way I haven't seen. Definitely much different compared to mine, and probably has more success as well. It was a much more campy style play compared to how I play Mega Man.

Me using random probably didn't help in determining what to do against it. It was very hard to approach cause it was metal blade, crash bomb, and lemon spam all day. Metal blade and crash bomb if at a distance. Lemons if I'm close enough. He would then jump after 3 lemons and either land a bit further away and do more lemons, or go behind me and use a back-air.

I played stupidly at times due to input errors and not knowing when to dodge the moves. And then that led to a bit of frustration, but it was interesting to see Mega Man being played that way. It would probably be too boring for me to play him like that. Too safe for my comfort.

Kinda interesting. I'll give it a whirl and see if i like it.

Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916081

I really hope that all of you who joined up on the tourney are still participating, it would be a great shame if there was a huge amount of players who ended up dropping out, or was a no show.

Please confirm in the thread that you will still be participating. And if you never were included then please post in thread that you would like to join. Thank you.

Since Batty is on mobile, I'll be running the tournament in his stead. First things first, we should check to see how many people are left to participate. Please quote this post and say "I'm in" if you'll be playing so we can get this started on time.

DEADLINE 2 HOURS, 30 MINUTES

Cedric

Yo Fox is a tricky mofo. One wrong move and I'm dead. x__x

In case you were wondering, I'm using Ike because he's my only main with custom moves and no equips. :p

No prob, Rosalina is my only character with custom moves and she's my main! She's also the only character I'm good with lol, that's why I'm trying out a couple tonight, trying to find a secondary.

Does win ratio actually affect match making? I'm really want to stop caring about it but I'm afraid I'll only be matched with really bad people and not really gain any good experience.

Shamrock, did you ever finish adding me? Last time things got confusing but if you do end up available, I need to battle you a couple of rounds.

Does win ratio actually affect match making? I'm really want to stop caring about it but I'm afraid I'll only be matched with really bad people and not really gain any good experience.

Uh... does this game even have match-making? I assumed it just threw you together with whoever was available? :p

Cedric

GGs Cedric, your Rosa was good and taught me that Ike's Neutral B 2 isn't worth shit. Pleasant games, and I hope my Zelda didn't demoralize you with SDs and lightning kicks. :)

GGs man, had a lot of fun! It's cool to see someone play with Ike, you really are a beast with him. Definitely wanna fight some more Zelda in the future, let's rematch after I practice a lil bit more with Rosa!

Revven

I just played probably the most scrubby yet annoying Luigi on FG. His strategy was so basic but the problem was the connection wasn't very stable, it'd sometimes stutter in the middle of really crucial moments that caused me to SD or allowed him to get a stupid edgeguard/KO. I couldn't even really approach properly, either. My DK couldn't do much so I had to resort to Doc whose pills + drill Dair pretty much ruined the guy for a few matches.

It's just frustrating to lose a few games to a guy who is clearly worse than me and doing the easiest strategy to see through. I mean, I'll give him credit that he knew how to use Luigi's Nair and all (combo breaker/safe way to get down) but everything else was fireball, fireball, dash attack to get in if dash attack fails jab them because the connection makes it impossible to punish the DA and/or react to the jabs. If the jabs fail forward smash/up smash and then rinse/repeat.

I guess he was technically more skilled than the other players I played tonight (he was at least noticing some things I was doing consistently and changed his strategy in some small way to accommodate) but still not anywhere near where I am at in terms of skill. I'm pretty confident that FG does not (at least in the 3DS version) have any real skill-based matchmaking as claimed in the April Direct. Either that or it doesn't use win/loss ratio for matchmaking whatsoever (note: I have an 80% win rate, 666 victories and like 100+ losses) and uses some other obscure thing. Whatever it does, it's backwards.

I just played probably the most scrubby yet annoying Luigi on FG. His strategy was so basic but the problem was the connection wasn't very stable, it'd sometimes stutter in the middle of really crucial moments that caused me to SD or allowed him to get a stupid edgeguard/KO. I couldn't even really approach properly, either. My DK couldn't do much so I had to resort to Doc whose pills + drill Dair pretty much ruined the guy for a few matches.

It's just frustrating to lose a few games to a guy who is clearly worse than me and doing the easiest strategy to see through. I mean, I'll give him credit that he knew how to use Luigi's Nair and all (combo breaker/safe way to get down) but everything else was fireball, fireball, dash attack to get in if dash attack fails jab them because the connection makes it impossible to punish the DA and/or react to the jabs. If the jabs fail forward smash/up smash and then rinse/repeat.

I guess he was technically more skilled than the other players I played tonight (he was at least noticing some things I was doing consistently and changed his strategy in some small way to accommodate) but still not anywhere near where I am at in terms of skill. I'm pretty confident that FG does not (at least in the 3DS version) have any real skill-based matchmaking as claimed in the April Direct. Either that or it doesn't use win/loss ratio for matchmaking whatsoever (note: I have an 80% win rate, 666 victories and like 100+ losses) and uses some other obscure thing. Whatever it does, it's backwards.

Yeah, I really doubt it's got any match-making. I've been put up against people who clearly don't even know how to play the game sometimes (rolling around at a snail's pace with jigglypuff's roll-out for example XD ) and people who don't seem to have any capability to adapt whatsoever (they repeat the same patterns over and over even if I punish it 100% of the times they attempt it.) Likewise I've sometimes been put up against people who brutally 2 stocked me with their crazy Diddy Kong they've stolen combos from Killer Instinct to use or whatever :p
It's rare that I get something even approaching an even match in for glory :/

Blues1990

Does anybody know how to accomplish the "Play 10 collective hours of Smash" challenge? I have left my 3DS on for 10 hours on Smash with a friend, and we had gone out to get some lunch and such. But after 11 hours, the achievement didn't unlock.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Does anybody know how to accomplish the "Play 10 collective hours of Smash" challenge? I have left my 3DS on for 10 hours on Smash with a friend, and we had gone out to get some lunch and such. But after 11 hours, the achievement didn't unlock.

Did you quit the match?

Revven

Yeah, I really doubt it's got any match-making. I've been put up against people who clearly don't even know how to play the game sometimes (rolling around at a snail's pace with jigglypuff's roll-out for example XD ) and people who don't seem to have any capability to adapt whatsoever (they repeat the same patterns over and over even if I punish it 100% of the times they attempt it.) Likewise I've sometimes been put up against people who brutally 2 stocked me with their crazy Diddy Kong they've stolen combos from Killer Instinct to use or whatever :p
It's rare that I get something even approaching an even match in for glory :/

Yeah, I encounter more people who pick Lucina against my Marth and spam counter (which I punish 100% of the time) or spam neutral B than I encounter people who actually semi-know what they're doing. I mean, I enjoy beating those people but it gets boring and makes you long for something more challenging at least. :/

A "ranked" mode should really be taking skill into account by looking at your win/loss ratio. I'm sure the people I'm beating all the time are having less fun than if matchmaking was actually... working like every other fighting game.

GGs man, had a lot of fun! It's cool to see someone play with Ike, you really are a beast with him. Definitely wanna fight some more Zelda in the future, let's rematch after I practice a lil bit more with Rosa!

:D Yes, though Ike is tough to win with against characters with dat range, I can still manage! I look forward to having someone to practice the Rosa matchup with, maybe next time we can play with customs off?

Also,

>tfw you will never fight for your friends

Don't you start with more than that? Start farming Smash Run. 10-15 items each run. Do some Target Blast too. You can't not have more than 2 after even an hour.

Top Bottom