• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Finally got the closest thing I can get to a guy quitting on me mid-match (so far as I know), as I got him to intentionally walk off the stage and kill himself on his last stock because I was that irritating.

Dr. Mario. If every other button you press isn't "B" then you're doing it wrong. Pills for days.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you only knew how much people have been dropped from this tourney, a lot of new players have been added. But everything is now final, and ready to begin!

Registration was probably too early. Hopefully the weekly/bi-weekly/frequent format I suggested to Oric works out if he gives it a try. Having everything happen in such a short timeframe should help prevent no-shows and less active participants, and missing a tourney is no big deal if they are frequent. If there is a long time between tourneys people will feel more obligated to sign up and attempt to participate even if they aren't totally sure about their availability. And once it dwindles down to a relatively small number of active players (I figure eventually it would just end up being maybe 20ish people a week) drop-outs and no-shows should be nearly a non-issue.

Registration was probably too early. Hopefully the weekly/bi-weekly/frequent format I suggested to Oric works out if he gives it a try.

Well, it's a good thing I can learn things from this experience. Next time I won't have tournament started in some thread.

I'll just make the new thread of the tourney, and do a 'first come, first serve' type of deal in the spand of a week or two.

Because even with me PMing a bunch of people reminders, I only got one response. Lol.

What some ground characters that are actually good in this game? I seem to do better as those, with some light aerials.

No, not talking about Little Mac.

Capt. Falcon's ground game is pretty damn solid between his jab, tilts, and ridiculous dash grab.

I'll give him a shot, he's my favorite character to fight against. Only reason I haven't much is because of the slight delay I have on a wireless connection, but I'm hoping Wii U solves that issue.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Capt. Falcon's ground game is pretty damn solid between his jab, tilts, and ridiculous dash grab.

I must be the only one that hates Falcon's dash grab. I whiff so many grabs because he goes so far and the timing is still fairly tight. Barely worth it since throws rarely lead into anything, hitstun is not that long and air dodging is nuts (and some characters can throw out lingering aerials like sex kicks and punish if you try to follow a throw). Can do crazy stuff on CPUs in training mode but set them to Run or play a person and all that goes out the window.

Valus

I must be the only one that hates Falcon's dash grab. I whiff so many grabs because he goes so far and the timing is still fairly tight. Barely worth it since throws rarely lead into anything, hitstun is not that long and air dodging is nuts (and some characters can throw out lingering aerials like sex kicks and punish if you try to follow a throw). Can do crazy stuff on CPUs in training mode but set them to Run or play a person and all that goes out the window.

Down throw -> UAir is legit. At 100%+ not so much, but you should be going for kills at that point anyway.

Down throw -> UAir is legit. At 100%+ not so much, but you should be going for kills at that point anyway.

Down throw --> UAir is one of my favorite ways to get people offstage towards the edge with Capt. Falcon. My only real complaint with him in this game is that the knee feels off, but a part of me thinks that's just an issue of 3DS controls being unideal when compared to a full gamepad.

Voliko

I've whiffed so many grabs when they are close up, it just goes way too far at that point, and the range on his normal grab is pretty low. Dthrow to up air is great though. And managing to land D-throw to U-air to Knee at the right percents is just glorious. Air dodging in this game and Brawl really is ridiculous though.

Registration was probably too early. Hopefully the weekly/bi-weekly/frequent format I suggested to Oric works out if he gives it a try. Having everything happen in such a short timeframe should help prevent no-shows and less active participants, and missing a tourney is no big deal if they are frequent. If there is a long time between tourneys people will feel more obligated to sign up and attempt to participate even if they aren't totally sure about their availability. And once it dwindles down to a relatively small number of active players (I figure eventually it would just end up being maybe 20ish people a week) drop-outs and no-shows should be nearly a non-issue.
Yeah, everything coming together for my tournament within a week really helped people remember, though even then there were some no shows. Still, with every new tournament will come a smoother experience! And, yes, as we continue forward, I imagine there will be less people wanting to participate.

Hey awhile back(months ago) I posted about a Mod I was working on that would allow for a 2DS/3DS to receive input from a Gamecube Controller. Well I finally finished it! I know I don't post here a lot but I'd really like to know everyone's thoughts and suggestions on this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETYZ1lYNUQg

That looks sick, mate! Just got a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Any input lag? This one is pretty major, so is there any kind of delay between pressing a button on the controller and the action on the screen?
2. Does this affect the 3DS's battery life in any way? Is it shortened or not affected?
3. How costly ($$) was this modification, and how difficult do you think it would be for the average guy to do with little more than the tools and, say, a video guide or something of the sort?
4. Does the C-stick function at all? If so, how did you make it work?

Hope you don't mind the questions, I'd love to do this to my own system if possible!

Shamrock you're the only Ness I've played who's actually consistantly stomped me. Got any advice on how to deal with his PK and strong fair shenanigans?

Against a good Ness, I would say you have to have a good off stage game. His recovery is pretty easy to predict. He also has limited options getting back to touching the stage after a double jump, so predict where he will land and punish. Learn to power shield pkfire so that you can immedietly run in for an attack or a grab

Cody_D165

Banned
Man I'm kinda bummed. I feel like I can't even play Melee or Project M correctly anymore.

my DI is alllllll sorts of messed up after playing this game for a month

stupid vectoring

I keep doing all sorts of Smash 4 things. Which obviously don't work :p

Thanks for the comments guys :D

To answer your questions.

That looks sick, mate! Just got a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Any input lag? This one is pretty major, so is there any kind of delay between pressing a button on the controller and the action on the screen?
There is at times a small lag of 1/100 of a millisecond which is too fast for humans to even notice.

2. Does this affect the 3DS's battery life in any way? Is it shortened or not affected?
It does shorten it a little bit but not enough to really notice. I can usually play for the same amount of time as before I did the mod.

3. How costly ($$) was this modification, and how difficult do you think it would be for the average guy to do with little more than the tools and, say, a video guide or something of the sort?
The cost is somewhat variable. There are a few different ways to do it. If you bought a new or used system to do this it would cost more. If you didn't buy a new or used system to work on I'd say it would cost under $100.

It is difficult to do, the Test Points are very small and really hard to work with. However if you have soldering skills it isn't super hard.

4. Does the C-stick function at all? If so, how did you make it work?
The C-stick does function, if you like I can do another video show casing that. Basically it it is mapped to the A button + plus direction. So if you press up on the C-stick it reads it as pressing up and A on the circle pad and A button.

Hope you don't mind the questions, I'd love to do this to my own system if possible!

I don't mind the questions at all :D

Whelp... that was interesting. Went online with Lucina to get my conquest contributions and the first person I come across does all kinds of amazing greninja stuff I've never seen before while I scrub out horrifically.
Next match, my opponent decides to teach me how to play Lucina themselves... only to get mercilessly 2 stocked by me as my fingers finally warm up :p
I'm not getting conquest points now so I switch to Palu and then go on to rip up his Marth and finally he comes in with triple D who I peck at and combo for a few seconds before they finally just give up and commit suicide twice to quit :eek:

So are there any Lucina mains here? I'd love to give her a shot, but I never felt at home with Marth, and it's not even because of the tipper mechanic.
Lucina's not my main and my lucy isn't even all that consistent but if nobody else offers to help you out, I guess I could give you some pointers later :3

Good initial results with Pac-Man in For Glory Smash: 2 losses followed by 2 wins.

The key to the wins? A.) Break opponents' stances with running special and B.) trick people coming off the ledge with the fire hyrdant! Seriously, got 3 easy KOs on unwitting opponents by dropping a fire hydrant right in their path as they tried to get back in the fight, with the water pushing them right back off the platform. People don't expect the delayed reaction of that attack.

I'll put in a few more rounds to see if this is sustainable. Any advice form Pac-Man players would be appreciated!

Holy shit been grinding for a long ass time to get the final trophy I need and have just read you get a trophy for beating all challenges.
That'll be the last one I need then!
Oh man, so much needless Trophy Rushing :'(

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Its so cute when a Lucario, a Mega Man, a Samus or a Rosalina think they can cheap the fight by staying in the edges and charging some attack to win. I have fought very few decent players of those characters.

Also is it me or is Rosa a bit oped? The disappearing thing is annoying to no end, her attacks have insane priority, she has an excellent recovery and to top it off she can fight with a little minion.

ffdgh

Its so cute when a Lucario, a Mega Man, a Samus or a Rosalina think they can cheap the fight by staying in the edges and charging some attack to win. I have fought very few decent players of those characters.

Also is it me or is Rosa a bit oped? The disappearing thing is annoying to no end, her attacks have insane priority, she has an excellent recovery and to top it off she can fight with a little minion.

Don't forget luma respawns in 8 seconds, prevents many grab attempts and can send luma off stage and charge smash attacks lol.

Agreed that teleport dodges are neat but rather obnoxious.

Revven

Finally got the closest thing I can get to a guy quitting on me mid-match (so far as I know), as I got him to intentionally walk off the stage and kill himself on his last stock because I was that irritating.

Dr. Mario. If every other button you press isn't "B" then you're doing it wrong. Pills for days.

Pills are so good, they've always been good. The trajectory is just gahlike. And how you can influence the trajectory they bounce at based on whether you're standing, short hopping, or full hopping is awesome. I find it hilarious how disruptive the pills are while Falco's lasers are basically unusable lol.

People on For Glory can rarely handle pills with Doc, it's great. I love zoning with it against people who, say, try to just camp all day and force them to approach me while eating damage all day. It's just too great. The benefits of pills is the reason I choose Doc over Mario.

Cedric

Is it me or Falco/Fox's downsmash has a lotless range than prior games? Or perhaps their attacks just have a lot less range in general...

Top Bottom