• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Is there finally a solution for "error 018-0514/516/521" ?

During the week, my flatmates (we're 8) have a really good Internet connection, a good Internet provider and their latest modem. I can play all my 3DS games online except Smash Bros. I have the error every time.

At my dad's, the same Internet provider, weaker connection, an older modem and I can play just fine.

I really don't understand, it's pissing me off

NeonZ

I don't understand how people even get enjoyment by playing the game like that. You may win, so what. Sounds boring as hell for both parties involved. Maybe I just don't have that competitive bone in me where winning IS the fun, no matter how it's achieved.

I play Link kind of regularly, and never do that. I get in there and have fun.

Well, from the point of view of a Zelda fan, making items useful is fun. The projectiles also have slow recovery. So, if you want to use Link's special attacks rather than just sword strikes, that play style ends up being heavily favored.

Based on what I've seen online, playing as Marth, it's completely fine. When I manage to approach a Link, their options seem much worse than mine.

The tourney started, and now we need you to get those matches in!

Bracket: http://challonge.com/SuperBashSisters

Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916081

Could you also please post the results/details of everything, if you can. :)

Example:

Round 1: JoeInky (Zelda) vs Geminosity (Palutena) on Battlefield
Round 2: JoeInky (Zelda) vs Geminosity (Palutena) on Reset Bomb Forest
Round 3: JoeInky (Zelda) vs Geminosity (Palutena) on Gerudo Valley (Omega)

JoeInky wins 2-1

so close to beating someone with expand dong god DK , albino DK took an L to a Palutena , but i did beat him like 4 times in a row with captain falcon, mr game and watch, yoshi and link.

good games phil if you are ready this , hes not on gaf

Okay, I really need to fucking vent right now.

I HATE people that use counter characters. Fuck all of you. You never fucking approach, and all you asswipes do is Spam counters waiting for me to approach. And what happens when I get past their torrent of counters? I get grabbed or up-smashed. And were you to somehow approach them, they just roll away to the other fucking side of the stage. only to counter again

I sincerely wish misery upon all the dickheads that fit the above description. Go to hell.

/rant

fixed that for you ;) , every character can have faults x spams by people

i can use salt and say i hate ness players that spam pk fire to do their combo but its a way they play , or how every fox player shoots their lasers at the start of the match

Jado

Banned
Okay, I really need to fucking vent right now.

I HATE people that use Link. Fuck all of you. You never fucking approach, and all you asswipes do is Spam boomerang + bomb + Arrow waiting for me to approach. And what happens when I get past their torrent of projectiles? I get grabbed or up-smashed. And were you to somehow approach them, they just roll away to the other fucking side of the stage.

I sincerely wish misery upon all the dickheads that fit the above description. Go to hell.

/rant

I've ranted about these people several times. For certain characters like Duck Hunt Dog, you're supposed to keep some distance. The problem is I'm seeing this annoying, extremely defensive play style from all types of players for characters who weren't meant for that and it works too well -- much better than it should. Mario/Luigi, Lucario, Sheik, Pikachu, Link, etc.

Too many people mentally go "ah shit, I can't go toe-to-toe and trade blows with this guy, lemme just run/roll/evade away the entire match and spam projectiles or the same attack." These assholes are doing more "keep away" than I do with DHD. I know nothing will happen, but I firmly believe this game should have an evade meter that drains from overuse. I've seen it in other games and it makes perfect sense. Smash is way too lenient and rewarding to players who play the game "wrong."

I'm sure these types are no big deal for those of you with 80%+ records, but it's a huge hassle for someone like me with solid but average skills. I could rip some scrub for 4-5 matches in a row, and then get defeated or struggle for narrow wins when he switches to pure rolling/spamming. I've lost my mind at some of these assholes and just rolled around like a mindless fool, doing nothing else for a solid minute -- to communicate my frustration at this bullshit game mechanic.

emb

I've ranted about these people several times. For certain characters like Duck Hunt Dog, you're supposed to keep some distance. The problem is I'm seeing this annoying, extremely defensive play style from all types of players for characters who weren't meant for that and it works too well -- much better than it should. Mario/Luigi, Lucario, Sheik, Pikachu, Link, etc.

Too many people mentally go "ah shit, I can't go toe-to-toe and trade blows with this guy, lemme just run/roll/evade away the entire match and spam projectiles or the same attack." These assholes are doing more "keep away" than I do with DHD. I know nothing will happen, but I firmly believe this game should have an evade meter that drains from overuse. I've seen it in other games and it makes perfect sense. Smash is way too lenient and rewarding to players who play the game "wrong."

I'm sure these types are no big deal for those of you with 80%+ records, but it's a huge hassle for someone like me with solid but average skills. I could rip some scrub for 4-5 matches in a row, and then get defeated or struggle for narrow wins when he switches to pure rolling/spamming. I've lost my mind at some of these assholes and just rolled around like a mindless fool, doing nothing else for a solid minute -- to communicate my frustration at this bullshit game mechanic.
First of all, I feel like Link is one of the characters more meant for a projectile/camping/zoning playstyle. Having three projectiles and ways to alter all of their trajectories seems like it plays right into that.

With the 2nd bolded: They're not playing the game wrong, they're playing it well. The problem is that the game is wrong (compared to what you and I want). If they respect you at all as a competitor, they should want to do everything they can to win by as wide a margin as possible. (Though in practice it's better to experiment and learn, or go for goofy stuff for fun. Most of the time the matches aren't all that serious). You're right though, it would be way better if the defensive and evasive options were more limited.

Imagine a Smash 4 where air dodge left you helpless until you land, ledges didn't autosweetspot, shield stun and post roll lag were doubled. It would be glorious.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Good games Anura. That was actually the first time I have ever played a Puff in any Smash game so I don't really have any idea what to do there.

Feel really bad that I don't play better and couldn't really match up with you very well. Like 90% of those knees were supposed to be Nairs. And most of my approaches are really dumb, I'll do something and as I'm doing realize what a better option would have been. That and I know I am overly aggressive. Have to stop going in with attacks at every given opportunity. There were several times I'd notice that and see you would wait for me and react.

(Not complaining or Johning or anything, I guess it might look that way. I just see what some of my issues are need to learn to eliminate them. I know I can do better, just need practice.)

Dimmle

As a longtime Link player, I use my projectiles as a method of approach. Camping and fleeing is an irritating play style, but it's not going to win matches reliably. Link has to engage eventually.

This game is so defensively favored, though, that it can be hard to punish players who do refuse to engage. I sympathize. I've had similar problems with Rosalina, Dedede, and Samus players, among others. These aren't fun matches, even if you win.

Example:

Round 1: JoeInky (Zelda) vs Geminosity (Palutena) on Battlefield
Round 2: JoeInky (Zelda) vs Geminosity (Palutena) on Reset Bomb Forest
Round 3: JoeInky (Zelda) vs Geminosity (Palutena) on Gerudo Valley (Omega)

JoeInky wins 2-1

Uh... thanks for the vote of confidence? <.<

Not sure if it'll help but have you seen black peach's roll punishing guide?
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-rolling-opponent.375075/
You might already be doing all this, you might not. I figured I'd throw a linky to it anyhoo incase someone found it useful :3

The better solution is to learn to get in on these people. If the character isn't meant to be played that way, it should be easy.

Sora_N

1075-1077-0952

Anyone want to play? I haven't really had any time since launch to sit down and play online.

Will be able to play a few matches (I think)

Voliko

Good games Anura. That was actually the first time I have ever played a Puff in any Smash game so I don't really have any idea what to do there.

Feel really bad that I don't play better and couldn't really match up with you very well. Like 90% of those knees were supposed to be Nairs. And most of my approaches are really dumb, I'll do something and as I'm doing realize what a better option would have been. That and I know I am overly aggressive. Have to stop going in with attacks at every given opportunity. There were several times I'd notice that and see you would wait for me and react.

(Not complaining or Johning or anything, I guess it might look that way. I just see what some of my issues are need to learn to eliminate them. I know I can do better, just need practice.)
I know these feels all too well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I know these feels all too well.

Yeah, I'm terrible at baiting, and falling for bait. I just RAWR ATTACK and get punished. "Playing smarter" is my biggest issue, way more than fudging inputs (which shouldn't be much of an issue in the Wii U version with a GC controller).

Another thing I thought about after I posted is that I need to learn to take advantage of this game's air dodging. It's so good, but I never air dodge to actually attempt to dodge attacks/followups. So used to Melee/PM's air dodge where it was super situational and not something to be spammed every time you are knocked into the air.

Jado

Banned
First of all, I feel like Link is one of the characters more meant for a projectile/camping/zoning playstyle. Having three projectiles and ways to alter all of their trajectories seems like it plays right into that.

With the 2nd bolded: They're not playing the game wrong, they're playing it well. The problem is that the game is wrong (compared to what you and I want). If they respect you at all as a competitor, they should want to do everything they can to win by as wide a margin as possible. (Though in practice it's better to experiment and learn, or go for goofy stuff for fun. Most of the time the matches aren't all that serious). You're right though, it would be way better if the defensive and evasive options were more limited.

Imagine a Smash 4 where air dodge left you helpless until you land, ledges didn't autosweetspot, shield stun and post roll lag were doubled. It would be glorious.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I meant. The game has given them free reign to play like assholes with bad sportsmanship. They're not playing in the spirit and fun of the game as the designers and creators obviously intended. I had a Wii Fii Trainer hang out all game at the ledge and spike volleyballs, a DeDeDe rolling away all match and spamming those spikey balls, a Shulk that jumped nonstop the entire match and did cheesy backslashes, Pikachu with endless lightning projectile, Lucario zooming away left and right, Sheik with ungodly fast rolls spamming needles, Mario with nonstop fireballs from a distance... pretty much anyone with a decent projectile or a cheesy, powerful attack.

Not sure if it'll help but have you seen black peach's roll punishing guide?
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-rolling-opponent.375075/
You might already be doing all this, you might not. I figured I'd throw a linky to it anyhoo incase someone found it useful :3

Will give this a read.

The better solution is to learn to get in on these people. If the character isn't meant to be played that way, it should be easy.

Not that easy sometimes. The reason we have a lot of Little Macs is because he has a toolset that can easily and effectively be put to use by bad/mediocre players to defeat the masses of average (but sometimes overall better) normal players. This isn't a problem if you're quite good (as I've gotten the impression you are) in which case they run away after one fight and repeat the process on the next mark. A lot of these bad-mannered players using other characters operate on the same principle of exploiting the average player who may normally kick his ass but not be quite skilled enough at overcoming his shitty gimmick. I'm learning to deal with it and shutting down the nonsense, but these fights are often just straight up not fun. Honestly, I echo emb's sentiments above and hope that these options for terrible behavior be limited/removed from the game.

Not that easy sometimes. The reason we have a lot of Little Macs is because he has a toolset that can easily and effectively be put to use by bad/mediocre players to defeat the masses of average (but sometimes overall better) normal players. This isn't a problem if you're quite good (as I've gotten the impression you are) in which case they run away after one fight and repeat the process on the next mark. A lot of these bad-mannered players using other characters operate on the same principle of exploiting the average player who may normally kick his ass but not be quite skilled enough at overcoming his shitty gimmick. I'm learning to deal with it and shutting down the nonsense, but these fights are often just straight up not fun. Honestly, I echo emb's sentiments above and hope that these options for terrible behavior be limited/removed from the game.
It's definitely not always easy, but it's doable. I agree that those fights are often not fun. If there's lag, they make me want to pull my hair out.

That said, the beginner's guide to those fights is this flowchart:
1) Dash in between projectiles.
2) Dash cancel into shield.
3) When you get close to the opponent, the opponent will usually do one of three things...

A) Run in and grab.
B) Roll away (through you).
C) Throw another projectile.

Punish A by attacking as they approach.
Punish B by attacking on the recovery (down smash is the universal option).
Punish C by dash attacking during the startup.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
People talk about Little Mac showing up all the time in FG but I think I saw one a couple weeks ago and zero over the last couple days since I started playing again.

Maybe I'm just not getting matched up against the right(wrong) people.

emb

People talk about Little Mac showing up all the time in FG but I think I saw one a couple weeks ago and zero over the last couple days since I started playing again.

Same for me, I've barely seen them lately.

Cody_D165

Banned

Nah I think it's definitely decreased after the initial "OMG LITTLE MAC OP" phase ended and people have had a month to figure out what to do against scrub For Glory Macs. They're still there, but the sheer amount of them seems to have significantly decreased, and the odds of fighting one who actually knows what he's doing are much, much better.

brb this convo has me in the mood to get in the lab with Little Mac

DooD1234

Most of the Lilttle Macs must have come to my games then because last night I just fought swarms of little macs left and right and I just throw them offstage and kick them out there. They then proceed to pick Rosalinas for some reason and while longer, still 2 stocked them and then they proceed to try Mac again and still lose. They leave room and a different person comes in doing the same thing.

Repeat this for like an hour lol.

Just played a solid as fuck Mega Man and Link who helped expose my bad habits with Ike. Wow wow wow is Ragnell the strongest sword ever. :O

So are there any Lucina mains here? I'd love to give her a shot, but I never felt at home with Marth, and it's not even because of the tipper mechanic.

Top Bottom