• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

I popped onto for glory for a fix this morning and much to my surprise ran into another Palutena. Even better, she was wearing the colours I used to wear (Viridi skin) before I switched the pink I use now :eek:

We even managed to have 3 matches before they left. Admittedly I'm not sure if they left because I won all 3 matches or because after winning the first 2 I switched to Lucina (I wanted to see how they played against another character, especially one without projectiles. In hindsight they might've seen this as me denying them my Palutena :/ )
Either way, it's always interesting to see how other people play your character :3

Feebastic

I'm not sure why people are calling Rosalina overpowered - is she really that strong? Her and Greninja are the two characters I'm enjoying most right now, and I feel a bit bad that apparently I've picked two of the stronger characters to play.

Same happened with Brawl, I've loved Metaknight since Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, and it sucked when people called me out on picking him for that reason.

Feebastic

That's reassuring. Got worried after I won my first For Glory match, and my friend said it didn't count because I used Greninja.

Out of interest, are there any characters that are really that unbalanced? I haven't really played enough to have a well-formed opinion on good or bad characters yet.

So far all characters seem balanced. The strongest character aren't as dominating as the Brawl ones, and Meta Knight aside all the weaker characters are at least good at their niche. (Olimar has a really strong camping game for example)

Really, ironically, Meta Knight is the only character that I feel is practically outclassed by a lot of characters at what he does. (Mainly his off stage game, which is the only thing great he does in this game) Although I guess Marth makes Lucina obsolete by having the tipper mechanics, being safer on block and having a little more reach just because he's a little taller.

I've yet to see another person using Wario in For Glory :V
Heh, outside of fighting you, the only Wario's I've seen were on 'for fun' spamming the bike :p

I'm not sure why people are calling Rosalina overpowered - is she really that strong? Her and Greninja are the two characters I'm enjoying most right now, and I feel a bit bad that apparently I've picked two of the stronger characters to play.

Same happened with Brawl, I've loved Metaknight since Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, and it sucked when people called me out on picking him for that reason.
So far all characters seem balanced. The strongest character aren't as dominating as the Brawl ones, and Meta Knight aside all the weaker characters are at least good at their niche. (Olimar has a really strong camping game for example)

Really, ironically, Meta Knight is the only character that I feel is practically outclassed by a lot of characters at what he does. (Mainly his off stage game, which is the only thing great he does in this game) Although I guess Marth makes Lucina obsolete by having the tipper mechanics, being safer on block and having a little more reach just because he's a little taller.
It might just be because I've never fought a proficient Rosalina, but I often suspect people complaining about her don't even know how she works. I remember one person complaining about her revealing to me that they thought she worked like the ice-climbers used to (with luma being AI controlled and whatnot.) My suspicion on this also aligns with what I've seen in vids of people losing to her (not abusing luma's fixed position or the like)

That's reassuring. Got worried after I won my first For Glory match, and my friend said it didn't count because I used Greninja.
Show your friend this gif next time they say that:
439.gif

Seriously though, I've run into that kind of attitude in way too many fighting games. In Soul Calibur I was often told that Nightmare was OP by anyone who played against me, yet oddly I didn't really see this sentiment echo'ed outside of those who'd tasted the cold steel of my version of the living armour and it didn't stop me stomping them with other characters either (all of which eventually got declared OP too... culminating in about half the roster until I just resorted to smacking people with their own characters.) Then again I'll probably never be as good at any fighting game as I was at Soul Calibur 1, sadly. I do play a mean Nidhogg though :p

Dealing with Rosalina became instantly easier after I started using her and knowing her shortcomings myself. Before I didn't even know Luma was in a fixed position lol.

Dealing with Rosalina became instantly easier after I started using her and knowing her shortcomings myself. Before I didn't even know Luma was in a fixed position lol.
Definitely! Luma's movement not being directly controlled by Roz is her biggest weakness when Luma is out, if your opponent knows about it and can take advantage of it :3
Also, without customs she has no ranged options outside of sending out Luma. Sure, she can absorb projectiles but if you have any long-reach attacks that aren't projectile based you can easily poke away at her until she launches the lil star in exasperation. Not to mention that poking will often end up damaging luma anyhoo as much as Rosalina XD

I take great joy with Palutena in bouncing the launched luma back in Ros's face too. It's the one projectile she can't do anything about :p

wow, just did a yoshi mirror set in for glory. I won 3 out of 3 pretty handily, so switched to Link to make it fairer.

He lost another 2, then switch to Link as well. I started crushing him and he ragequits before he loses the first stock...

Also, I find Link is a good counter pick to rosalina. She can't camp vs Link because you will just kill Luma and it's difficult for her to go aggressive on him.

Dimmle

Any Wii Fit Trainers out there with successful records? I'm trying to figure her out and taking a hit on For Glory in the process. Tips?

DaBoss

So I tried the defensive style Mega Man play against a Pac-Man.
Failed miserably against Pac-Man (I've had success against other characters, it seems it won't work on Pac-Man cause of the hydrant giving him elevation) and proceeded to get 2-stocked.

And then he got this kill which was hilarious: https://vine.co/v/OOg31dhjzb6

In the back of my mind, I knew that the hydrant can hit me, so I was hoping it wouldn't lol.

So to save myself from that hilarious but embarrassing moment, here are two Falcon knees against some other guy's Charizard: https://vine.co/v/OOglhp5pdHe

Yeah, I'm starting to feel that way too. Spacing characters are pretty interesting, and I do like swordsman in general so I guess that's my thing. XD

Hm, alright, that does sound fair. I have to admit that I do lack confidence in my offense overall, so I'll try to work on that. Thanks!

I heard that ESAM's Pikachu uses the jab a lot, but I haven't really seen it for myself. It does look pretty useless to me though.

Oh yeah, I thought of one more thing. Maybe you could try experimenting with Quick Attack. I know if you only use the first one on the ground it has lag, but if you manage to use it to zip around the stage, it'll definitely make your keep away game even more infuriating to deal with!
Yeah, my initial idea actually involved a lot of Quick Attack, but it is soooo hard go control on the 3DS pad. :(

Hey GGs man, any tips for Jr?

Yeah, ggs. I need to work on my Link still.

Jr is a fairly mediocre character and I'm not sure if there's more to him than a few gimmicks sadly.

His strongest point is the mecha koopas. As long as you have a mecha koopa out you have stage control. They allow you to go for grabs or dashes or aerials because the opponent is either distracted or because the mecha will just walk into them if they grab you. He can also has a few tricks for edge guarding but I was too scared to try them against you haha - jr can cover two recoveries from the ledge when the opponent gets up. If he Up Bs he can either hit them with an aerial if they jump or blow them up if they simply get up.

kunonabi

Keep playing Trophy Rush since it's the best way to get trophies
Also keep in mind that finishing the third challenge board nets you a trophy

That said, I got the 50hr Smash challenge and therefore the last two trophies
I still need to grind for some hats and a level 3 Smash Run power, but I'm happy I got the trophies

I went through 200 trophies in trophy rush without a single new one so I'm not really excited about how long that is going to take. Is every trophy available in trophy rush? Aside from the challenge ones anyway.

Kouriozan

That feel when you almost 100% a Smash game.
And right before the thread is moved in community.
Thankfully with CD grind it'll takes more time to 100% Smash Wii U.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That feeling when characters much faster then Bowser can't land a hit for half a minute while being curbstomped the entire match and then after your match they all proceed to leave the room in fear.

Man did those opponents suck.

Felt damn good though.

Although I have had some skilled players leave after facing King Dedede who refused to be killed. And killed other players by tripping essentially.

That feeling when characters much faster then Bowser can't land a hit for half a minute while being curbstomped the entire match and then after your match they all proceed to leave the room in fear.

Felt damn good though.

Although I have had some skilled players leave after facing King Dedede who refused to be killed. And killed other players by tripping essentially.

I'd love to play your Bowser if you are available to play right now

Makai

Felt damn good though.

What happened is they disconnected in the middle of the match and were replaced by a level 3 CPU.

Normally I would play, but I'm not really feeling the game 1v1 right now. Watching tournaments and it feels the same as how I feel. The better player will generally win, but when it's an even match, I can't really say why one player won or not. Recovery is so quick that actual combos and punishes seem rare. There's a lot of guesswork, and trying to maintain momentum can be a big risk. Landing lag is so long and the timing for reducing it is so strict (by Smash Bros standards) that safely landing on the stage just after being knocked in the air feels like as much or more of a part of the metagame as edgeguarding or the neutral game, which is just about the most uninteresting thing I can think of (let's play don't get hit by the dash attack or up smash).

Sorry, just got off a for glory run so I'm smashed out for now :p

Dear heck though... Mac's KO punch makes me so salty. If I could block or counter it, I wouldn't feel so bad but instead I have to play 13 seconds of "dodge the instant death" because I BEAT HIM UP. Considering how hard a mac with half a brain is to punish half the time I just end up furious during most matches. Brain-dead macs are easy, they just run at you with the same attacks all the time so you can straight up just jab them before they do anything or even counter, but the ones that aren't terribad just mess me up.

Doesn't help that the mac in question kept recovering through my face with his side punch (I'm terrible at gauging the distance on it so my punishes against it usually result in me getting a boxing glove to the head ¬.¬ )
Also, same player was also good with sonic. I've never been chased up off the top of the screen with homing attack before and had no idea how to deal with it. Because he can charge the spin it feels almost impossible to reliably time an air dodge or attack to answer with (same reason you'll often see ikes spam quick-draw: against someone with no projectiles who doesn't block I can imagine that alone netting them a lot of wins :p )
I found myself cooing "oh? are you having trouble? what's wrong? Don't have a low-entry character now? poor you!" whenever I beat his other characters to a pulp.

Thank heck this game doesn't have voice chat :p

wow this duck hunt guy is fun to watch. i keep wanting to learn the character but he's so much harder to pick up than this guy makes it look.

KO Punch is a crazy-stupid mechanic. It would be fun in 4 (or you know, 8) player time matches, but it has no place in 1v1 stock.

Yeah, i'd even argue that Little Mac doesn't need it. All it does is strengthen his ground game (unless you can KO in the air which would be news to me) and that doesn't need any help. It doesn't help that all these games are online either so stuff with a small punish window (e.g. dash attack -> jabs) is gruesomely difficult to fit a hit or throw into thanks to lovely things like input lag and the like :p

Top Bottom