• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, unfortunately I believe the 'grab' button is just a macro in the game for "shield + attack" which means in situations where it would ignore the shield input you get attacks. I heard it was possible to do a smash/tilt or whatever with it, but I thought it was up rather than down :eek:
Another example is if I press grab too quickly after palutena's jab it will chain into repeated jabs rather than grab :/

Oh, I didn't know that. That's actually pretty good know. That's pretty unfortunate though, but that explains a lot of my weird inputs :/

Rhapsody

Banned
My connection with TWILT is weird in other games (haven't played him in smash yet).

It likes to be fine one instance and then decides to do something else later. :(

That's really weird. Hopefully it's not like that in the Wii U version!

Oh, I didn't know that. That's actually pretty good know. That's pretty unfortunate though, but that explains a lot of my weird inputs :/

I'm afraid I suspect it'll be like that in the Wii-U version too :p I could be remembering incorrectly but I feel like it was always this way even in the previous versions.

To be honest, I kind of over-simplified it a bit. Basically it will check a list of priorities for the two buttons and do the first valid one based on your state and a few other things.
So in situations where 'throw' is those two buttons together you get a throw. Meanwhile, in the jab example I gave, you can't actually shield during the frames just after a jab, but attack is a valid button to extend the jab combo so it just accepts that part and discards the 'shield' part of the input. On the other hand, if you press grab in the air and you're one of the many characters without a tether throw, then it seems the first button on the priority list is 'shield' which in the air translates to an air dodge.
If I had to hazard a guess based on those I'd imagine it checks if there's a combined value, if not it checks if shield is valid and just uses that, ignoring attack and if not then it just goes with attack :3

edit:
If anyone else wants to kick my ass let me know. I put my FC in my profile.
I'm tempted but it's 3am. I shouldn't even be up, nevermind playing games, so I'll pass for now but I might take you up on the offer in the near future though I'm not confident that I'll be the one kicking rear ;D

Cedric

My connection with TWILT is weird in other games (haven't played him in smash yet).

It likes to be fine one instance and then decides to do something else later. :(

Hahah that's exactly what's happening right now...

edit: worst part is we're practically in the same province (I saw Ontario on your smash thingy, I'm basically Ottawa), yet I can play people in Japan just fine lol

TWILT

Banned
Annnd okay, now my 3DS won't seem to connect. Sorry about this, Cedric :/

EDIT: Well, resetting my 3DS seems to have fixed it

TWILT

Banned
Hey Cedric, you alright with customs? I'm okay either way, but I'm just asking since I wouldn't mind practicing some of my sets.

Cranzor

As long as we're talking about weird mechanics, I've been messing around with Ness and have found some strange things.

In this game, if you use Ness's recovery into a wall (like the ones on many of the Omega stages, for example), you have a chance to try one more time at recovering if you immediately PK Thunder. However, on the right side of the stage, you can seemingly do this after colliding with the wall at any angle. But on the left side of the stage, it only works if Ness hits himself with PK Thunder relatively horizontally. If you try to hit the wall at an upward angle, for example, you'll simply bounce off and SD, while on the right side of the stage, you'd have another chance.

If giving Ness another recovery was an intended mechanic, I have no idea how this was overlooked. I'm pretty sure Ness is now the only character in the game who is better on a certain side of a symmetric stage with walls now. So strange.

As long as we're talking about weird mechanics, I've been messing around with Ness and have found some strange things.

In this game, if you use Ness's recovery into a wall (like the ones on many of the Omega stages, for example), you have a chance to try one more time at recovering if you immediately PK Thunder. However, on the right side of the stage, you can seemingly do this after colliding with the wall at any angle. But on the left side of the stage, it only works if Ness hits himself with PK Thunder relatively horizontally. If you try to hit the wall at an upward angle, for example, you'll simply bounce off and SD, while on the right side of the stage, you'd have another chance.

If giving Ness another recovery was an intended mechanic, I have no idea how this was overlooked. I'm pretty sure Ness is now the only character in the game who is better on a certain side of a symmetric stage with walls now. So strange.

Weird. Reminds me a lot of the 'corner issue' in some 2D fighters where jumping over someone's head in one corner will push them out so you end up in the corner, while the other corner will push you out instead, resulting in them remaining in the corner and you basically failing to jump over their head XD

Also, it's probably worth checking to see if you can 'wall-tech' off of PK thunder against the wall as it may or may not help :3

Cedric

Man, I ALWAYS get tricked into dropping my shield after the first hit of Shulk's side smash. Same goes with Pacman's side b and Megaman's dash attack...

Anyone wanna play some matches before I go to bed? I'd prefer 1v1 no items, but we can discuss rules if necessary. FC in profile.

I'll have to rescind the offer, too tired to wait. :( Good night, everyone.

Cranzor

Weird. Reminds me a lot of the 'corner issue' in some 2D fighters where jumping over someone's head in one corner will push them out so you end up in the corner, while the other corner will push you out instead, resulting in them remaining in the corner and you basically failing to jump over their head XD

Also, it's probably worth checking to see if you can 'wall-tech' off of PK thunder against the wall as it may or may not help :3

I just tried it out. I don't think you can wall-tech his recovery. It didn't seem to make a difference. Weird! Hopefully it's a thing that gets patched but it's so relatively minor that I kind of doubt it will be.

Sooooo apparently this has been lighting up on Twitter

10424987_781476375231819_1998721555630925435_n.jpg

Illustration aside, do you agree/disagree? For context, this is the guy who won the E3 tourney.

Starting to learn how to use Samus, and of course the first match online is against Villager, one of his few good matchups. =|

I don't like the sound of that. :(

Still my favorite new character.

Illustration aside, do you agree/disagree? For context, this is the guy who won the E3 tourney.

Yeah, Lucario's a bit crazy sometimes since they buffed his Aura from Brawl, plus he gets Rage too. One of my biggest complaints is how his Up-B has a hitbox. Annoying to punish considering how far and fast he goes with it now.

Hatchtag

Banned

Dude deleted his twitter lol. Still, I donno. It's stupid...but it's also fun. Plus, Lucario can't do jack shit until he's at a really high percent.

Moonlight

Banned
Good games Moonlight. It's no problem. Seems like you got that El Fire > Aerial combo down well! I got hit by it so many times. Try not to roll too much or too predictably though. You let me get so many grabs in the last two matches because of that. > . < Also, I noticed that whenever I jumped/floated towards you while you were charging El Thunder you would just release it a lot of the time when I got close even though it wouldn't hit me.
Yeah. I still need to work on nixing that habit. >_>

As for the Elthunders, I was, uh, hoping you'd fall into them. :x

Cedric

I hate when I accidentally input side tilt or up tilt with Palutena, and have to wait like half an hour for the attack to stop. Kinda like Ganondorf's up tilt.

Cedric

Last match, Cedric, then I'm gonna go play some Bayo 2.

GGs TWILT, you really mastered Shulk! I really struggled against him, same goes for Greninja. Seems I could only keep it close while playing Rosalina! Play you some other time, gotta go practice Palutena and Fox some more.

TWILT

Banned
GGs Cedric. Really fun matches; sorry about the online troubles at the beginning.

Man, I realllly hate fighting Rosalina and Luma lol. I have no idea how to approach in that fight. I guess I did kinda okay with Greninja when I was trying to KO Luma every chance I can, but guess I gotta learn the matchup some more.

Any matches anyone? 55456-0080-3699

I think he's overreacting.

Moonlight

Banned
God, I just really need to figure out how to deal with Little Mac. It's so easy to deal with bad ones, but the dude is ridiculous to fight when you've got someone who kind of knows what they're doing. I feel like I can't shield, since he does so much shield damage; rolling just gets me on the wrong side of a Forward Smash; jumping has him park right under me for an up-tilt, or Smash, or a dash attack; trying to go for dash grabs just get me jabbed in the face, and the dude is so fast that it's practically impossible to get any amount of breathing room on him. Doesn't help that's he's damn near impossible to legit punish. It's not that I can't win against the guy sometimes, but it's really stressful to fight against him. Feels like I have to think twice as fast against Mac than anyone else.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah GGs. I need to learn to respect big guys. I keep getting hit by things I should be avoiding because "lol slow ass fuckboy can't hit me :3"

Then I die at 75%...

I did get a little better with Shulk I think. I sucked with him when I first used him. But I think as much as I love Ganondorf as a character he really is at the mercy of anyone with projectiles and counter moves.

Bowser I will probably be maining forever. Although with him it's a matter of the opponent fucking up.

I did surprisingly well as Charizard though.

God, I just really need to figure out how to deal with Little Mac. It's so easy to deal with bad ones, but the dude is ridiculous to fight when you've got someone who kind of knows what they're doing. I feel like I can't shield, since he does so much shield damage; rolling just gets me on the wrong side of a Forward Smash; jumping has him park right under me for an up-tilt, or Smash, or a dash attack; trying to go for dash grabs just get me jabbed in the face, and the dude is so fast that it's practically impossible to get any amount of breathing room on him. Doesn't help that's he's damn near impossible to legit punish. It's not that I can't win against the guy sometimes, but it's really stressful to fight against him. Feels like I have to think twice as fast against Mac than anyone else.

It's worse when it is 4 player Smash and there are 2 of em. Ugh.

Hatchtag

Banned
My most hated tactic in this game is probably Peach hovering while playing as Mac. They'll hover till it runs out to try to bait you into attacking them. Since 99% of the time you'll end up getting attacked if you even try to do that, you usually just wait it out. I know why they do it, but it ends up just making the match last forever, because they want to bait you out, and you don't want to fall for it, so both players just end up not contacting for each other for about 5 seconds. And this happens so many times, it can easily add an extra minute or more to a single match. There's not really any reliable option for Mac to take aside from waiting, either. If they're low enough, you can attack, but that won't happen often. You can use your up b or side b, but they can easily avoid and punish this. You can jump into them and counter, but they'll quickly recognize this and be able to punish it. Only other option is Mac's aerials, which are so ineffective that they're never worth the risk. Peach can't really do anything during this time period, either. She can throw turnips, which are really easily avoided, or use a down aerial, which is also easily avoided. So basically, you're both waiting with no real options.

TL;DR: Peach can hover stall Mac and it's incredibly annoying and drags out the match.

Masked Man

I said wow
I hate when I accidentally input side tilt or up tilt with Palutena, and have to wait like half an hour for the attack to stop. Kinda like Ganondorf's up tilt.

Believe me: I understand that pain. So many of the moves I use as Mac are nigh worthless as Palu. D:

Dimmle

Dear Pikachu and Mario players,

Is it fun to stand off to the side and fire off never ending streams of your low risk projectiles? Do you enjoy doing that?

Sincerely,

A Link player who cannot deal

I am aware of the hypocrisy

Saro

My most hated tactic in this game is probably Peach hovering while playing as Mac. They'll hover till it runs out to try to bait you into attacking them. Since 99% of the time you'll end up getting attacked if you even try to do that, you usually just wait it out. I know why they do it, but it ends up just making the match last forever, because they want to bait you out, and you don't want to fall for it, so both players just end up not contacting for each other for about 5 seconds. And this happens so many times, it can easily add an extra minute or more to a single match. There's not really any reliable option for Mac to take aside from waiting, either. If they're low enough, you can attack, but that won't happen often. You can use your up b or side b, but they can easily avoid and punish this. You can jump into them and counter, but they'll quickly recognize this and be able to punish it. Only other option is Mac's aerials, which are so ineffective that they're never worth the risk. Peach can't really do anything during this time period, either. She can throw turnips, which are really easily avoided, or use a down aerial, which is also easily avoided. So basically, you're both waiting with no real options.

TL;DR: Peach can hover stall Mac and it's incredibly annoying and drags out the match.

JESUS CHRIST this just happened to me 5 mins ago. The person I was playing played Peach against my little Mac and I just stood there for 20secs waiting.(after that match he went back to Link for projectile spamming but I chose Mario)

ReiGun

I did get a little better with Shulk I think. I sucked with him when I first used him. But I think as much as I love Ganondorf as a character he really is at the mercy of anyone with projectiles and counter moves.

Bowser I will probably be maining forever. Although with him it's a matter of the opponent fucking up.

I did surprisingly well as Charizard though.
I felt bad winning the Charizard/Bowser Jr. match because I got outplayed up till that very moment. I had no idea what to do about Rock Smash.

I must be the craziest Peach in the world because I can't do this. I don't possess the patience and Mac just barreling down on me makes me nervous. Plus, like you said, there isn't much Peach can do either.

Top Bottom