• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Masked Man

I said wow
so is anyone engaging with the character customization stuff? I don't mean the Mii fighter, i mean for the regular fighters. Is it worth messing with that stuff? The badges, the alternate attacks... Does it affect that character throughout all game modes?

Mac with increased horizontal air speed and/or a boosted double-jump actually has a recovery. It's wonderful. <3

It's under warranty, but I'm worried they will replace it instead of repair. So they repaired yours? It's not a refurb?

No, not a refurb and they repaired my circle pad and replaced the hinge since it had a little crack.

The new pad and hinge are very nice I have to say...

Also, they will call you once it's diagnosed, so if you don't want to go through, they'll send it back.

k_hop

so is anyone engaging with the character customization stuff? I don't mean the Mii fighter, i mean for the regular fighters. Is it worth messing with that stuff? The badges, the alternate attacks... Does it affect that character throughout all game modes?

You can play online with friends using custom moves and equipment, although most people prefer not to play with the latter. I never messed much with equipment for anything but Smash Run as a result, but apparently there are accessories that grant a random chance to crit and make 1v1 way too random or something.

Custom moves are my jam, though. Link's are amazing.

No, not a refurb and they repaired my circle pad and replaced the hinge since it had a little crack.

The new pad and hinge are very nice I have to say...

Also, they will call you once it's diagnosed, so if you don't want to go through, they'll send it back.

Cool, thanks for the information. I'll call tomorrow and take a break. Shouldn't be spending so much time on Smash, anyways.

...and I can get around to Bayonetta 2.

3yHWhg2.png

I finally did it :')

And with that I unlocked Flat Zone 2, so with all characters/stages I can classify the game as 'beaten'.

one_kill

http://i.imgur.com/3yHWhg2.png

I finally did it :')

And with that I unlocked Flat Zone 2, so with all characters/stages I can classify the game as 'beaten'.
For me, I haven't beaten the game unless I've unlocked everything. Just need two or so hats and one Smash Run power and I'm done.

darkmagus

I just need 4 more hats now, but is going to take forever since i pretty much played all weekend and only got 1 new hat. RNG hates me lol

You need to be playing as well for it to count. If you let CPUs just battle, then it won't count.

lol
Does it require inputs from me, or something? I was letting myself get beat up. If it requires inputs, does anyone know the best way to cheat that? No way am I playing 50 hours against the AI.

DaBoss

Does it require inputs from me, or something? I was letting myself get beat up. If it requires inputs, does anyone know the best way to cheat that? No way am I playing 50 hours against the AI.
Online playtime counts towards the 50 hours, so you don't need to cheat or anything. Just continue playing online.

emb

The match also has to finish. I've heard that if you quit out of the match it doesn't add to play time (meaning infinite time mode won't help).

Might be best to leave some 99 stock battles running. Or find some local opponents.
Online playtime counts towards the 50 hours, so you don't need to cheat or anything. Just continue playing online.
Oh, nevermind. <.<

Hatchtag

Banned
Any Mac mains happen to know how the transition from playing him online to playing him offline is? I'm likely enterring my first offline tourney this weekend and would love some advice.

I don't think this is true. I have 51 hours of online play, but no challenge unlocked.

The match also has to finish. I've heard that if you quit out of the match it doesn't add to play time (meaning infinite time mode won't help).

Might be best to do leave some 99 stock battles running. Or find some local opponents.

Oh, nevermind. <.<
Ah. I was doing infinitely long timed battles and quitting.

DaBoss

I only had 29 minutes of Smash playtime. The rest was online. I unlocked it when it said I have 49 hours of group time (since I played some FFAs).

And yea, the matches have to finish.

Axass

I've been playing ZSS a lot in this last week or two. Mainly because I'm playing her in the Super Bash Sisters tournament. Now something weird (?) happened to me many times: her down air seems to randomly misfire, or something like that, every once in a (long) while. What I mean is that she flies down veeeery slowly, totally telegraphing what I'm doing to my opponent, who clearly sends me to the heavens with a smash.

I've searched many character guides and googled for supposed misfires, but found nothing. Is that a legit thing, am I inputting something that cancels it (I tried to replicate it but no dice), or is it some kind of bug?

RiggyRob

I don't think this is true. I have 51 hours of online play, but no challenge unlocked.

Ah. I was doing infinitely long timed battles and quitting.

I only had 29 minutes of Smash playtime. The rest was online. I unlocked it when it said I have 49 hours of group time (since I played some FFAs).

And yea, the matches have to finish.

So which one's true RE: online play time?

I've been playing ZSS a lot in this last week or two. Mainly because I'm playing her in the Super Bash Sisters tournament. Now something weird (?) happened to me many times: her down air seems to randomly misfire, or something like that, every once in a (long) while. What I mean is that she flies down veeeery slowly, totally telegraphing what I'm doing to my opponent, who clearly sends me to the heavens with a smash.

I've searched many character guides and googled for supposed misfires, but found nothing. Is that a legit thing, am I inputting something that cancels it (I tried to replicate it but no dice), or is it some kind of bug?

Is it like when you use a down-air while travelling upwards (e.g. after being launched) and you don't dive straight down? I think your momentum upwards can sometimes cancel the downwards momentum that your down-air is supposed to give you, so you end up using a down-air but not actually moving as fast as you're supposed to, I know I've done it plenty of times as Toon Link.

Voliko

Same thing happens in Brawl and for Sheik's down air too I believe. I think it happens if you use the move right after you get hit, especially when you have upward momentum after getting hit. It's weird but those aerials that just fly down to the stage are pretty much useless imo.

Axass

Is it like when you use a down-air while travelling upwards (e.g. after being launched) and you don't dive straight down? I think your momentum upwards can sometimes cancel the downwards momentum that your down-air is supposed to give you, so you end up using a down-air but not actually moving as fast as you're supposed to, I know I've done it plenty of times as Toon Link.

Same thing happens in Brawl and for Sheik's down air too I believe. I think it happens if you use the move right after you get hit, especially when you have upward momentum after getting hit. It's weird but those aerials that just fly down to the stage are pretty much useless imo.

Yep, I guess that's it. Thanks guys!

emb

Yeah, it's weird. Seems like it doesn't need to be a lot of upward momentum either, just some.

They're mostly useless, but they have their moments. I'll get people with them now and then. It offsets the timing on your fall just a little, so pretty often it can punish people trying to catch your landing with something like a forward or up smash. Same thing if you trick them by double jumping as they try to punish. It let's you get down there pretty quickly.

They do also end if they go far enough, so they can be used in edgeguards if carefully placed (and I guess depending on stage). Seems pretty gimmicky, but I had a Sonic doing it to me a lot and it seemed to work sometimes.

RomanceDawn

OMG, gave you the wrong code! Sorry: 2552-1421-3450

Added you BTW.

Hey good games! Sorry I had to quit out like that. When we started playing everyone was asleep. Now they are up and all the iPads and cell phones are a'buzzin!

You're not the best ZSS player I went up against but certainly you don't suck. If you haven't check out smash boards and their ZSS section. They will give you a lot of tips through text and video.

Axass

Hey good games! Sorry I had to quit out like that. When we started playing everyone was asleep. Now they are up and all the iPads and cell phones are a'buzzin!

You're not the best ZSS player I went up against but certainly you don't suck. If you haven't check out smash boards and their ZSS section. They will give you a lot of tips through text and video.

No doubt about that. LOL

Your Jr. and DK are great. Bowser too, I'm embarassing in comparison. Only guy I play half well is Fox, my main since Smash 64. Thank you for the games, I had fun and learnt a bunch of things too!

Muzy72

Banned
For the custom moves that are unlocked through the challenge board, do you have to do the challenge to get it? Or can you still randomly collect it without doing the challenge?

JoeInky

For the custom moves that are unlocked through the challenge board, do you have to do the challenge to get it? Or can you still randomly collect it without doing the challenge?

You can't get the challenge specific ones through any other means. They're all easy to get though, thankfully.

SoldnerKei

you only can get them through the challenges, I spend many coins trying to get Marth's easy combitation in classic before I knew it was a challenge unlock -_-

Dimmle

Browsing Youtube and Smashboards confirms my suspicion that no one is playing Wii Fit Trainer. There is a dearth of tips for her.

Any Mac mains happen to know how the transition from playing him online to playing him offline is? I'm likely enterring my first offline tourney this weekend and would love some advice.

The main difference is that you'll be able to see your opponent roll their eyes in real life when they see you picked little mac ;D

Huh, I always saw it happen to ZSSes I was battling when they tried to do a second divekick after I'd intercepted and punished their initial one (palutena's up tilt = lulz at divekicks :3 ) so I figured it was some kind of weird penalty for trying to use it repeatedly. Good to know it's something else :p

Cranzor

I played a Luigi in for glory who would just roll behind me and hit me every single time. And I totally knew it too. I tried to get a tilt out and I was always too late. So frustrating. Fully knowing that your opponent is cheesing you and not being able to do anything about it is the worst.

I played a Luigi in for glory who would just roll behind me and hit me every single time. And I totally knew it too. I tried to get a tilt out and I was always too late. So frustrating. Fully knowing that your opponent is cheesing you and not being able to do anything about it is the worst.

Yeah, the 'roll behind them and do a down-smash' is becoming a more and more common tactic. Your best bet is to either down-smash them first before they recover from the roll or just move forward, out of d-smash range, and prod them with either a quick ranged attack or anything you have that might reach them safely. Of course, if they're that predictable and your character has a counter... well... :p

Pick Pikachu, use YOUR downsmash instead every time they try to roll. Then do that against everyone and see who counters it.

Probably won't be as effective as in Brawl, but it must still be annoying.

Yeah, the 'roll behind them and do a down-smash' is becoming a more and more common tactic. Your best bet is to either down-smash them first before they recover from the roll or just move forward, out of d-smash range, and prod them with either a quick ranged attack or anything you have that might reach them safely. Of course, if they're that predictable and your character has a counter... well... :p

Roll behind me and grab is even more annoying.

And slightly embarrassing, since Bowser should be able to handle that.

Roll behind me and grab is even more annoying.

And slightly embarrassing, since Bowser should be able to handle that.
Heh. I tend not to have trouble with the grab as I usually hit people out of it or I'm just slightly out of grab range in most cases, then again Bowser has a pretty huge hurtbox to get a throw on so I can imagine he'd have more issues with it :3

Cranzor

I play Ness, so unfortunately there isn't a whole lot I can do. A forward tilt is probably the best option besides running away, but I can never get it out. I guess a down-smash could be good too, since the back of the yo-yo comes out first.

Pick Pikachu, use YOUR downsmash instead every time they try to roll. Then do that against everyone and see who counters it.

Probably won't be as effective as in Brawl, but it must still be annoying.

The idea of counterpicking in for glory has crossed my mind, but it seems so silly that I almost never do it. I'll change character for diversity occasionally, but that's the extent of it! Maybe I should try it more often though.

By the way, anyone want to play? I have way more fun in matches against people from GAF than in for glory.

2707-1597-2353

Cool_M

I play Ness, so unfortunately there isn't a whole lot I can do. A forward tilt is probably the best option besides running away, but I can never get it out. I guess a down-smash could be good too, since the back of the yo-yo comes out first.

The idea of counterpicking in for glory has crossed my mind, but it seems so silly that I almost never do it. I'll change character for diversity occasionally, but that's the extent of it! Maybe I should try it more often though.

By the way, anyone want to play? I have way more fun in matches against people from GAF than in for glory.

2707-1597-2353

I'll play fc in profile

Top Bottom