• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Jado

Banned
I *HATE* how all-star mode has stages without hazards (magicant has no flying man, warioware has no transformations), yet that's not possible in normal play. :(

This should be the third stage mode.

So, UH, did you know that if you don't kill the Master Core soon enough it fucking explodes and kills you?

Yeah, found that out myself. I read it explodes like 3 times and if you avoid them, you win.

King D. Man he is annoying to play against. Takes forever to kill. His recovery. His deceptive range and quickness. Also don't roll backwards when he throws the spikes. Out of the heavy characters, his ranged attack sets him apart. I consistently lose against him true story.

I'm finding that most Dedede players absolutely stink, like they're using his projectile, crazy endurance and bulletproof air recovery to mask their many deficits. G&W's frying pan makes me glad to see the spikes every time.

What's this about Lucario? He gets stronger the more damage he takes? Besides the roll/evasion spamming Lucarios, fighting him has always been pretty easy and straightforward. Never noticed he was buffed up. Hmm.

Probably the greatest kill I've ever gotten. It was a complete accident too. Was supposed to be a Side B lol.

https://vine.co/v/OeKnzXZ2jrA

I'm so glad it happened.

EDIT: Son of D made a GIF of it:
warlrgudw.gif
For all the complaining I do about the circle pad, I can't say it hasn't gotten me accidental kills. :p

Any Pit/Dark Pit users here? I think I might finally be getting the hang of the character, but there's one problem that's really costing me matches, and I can't seem to figure it out.

His jab...is there anyway to do the simple 3 hit combo? I always end up going into the multi-hit and then the other person gets out of it and punishes me.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Probably the greatest kill I've ever gotten. It was a complete accident too. Was supposed to be a Side B lol.

Oh my.

-----------------

I kinda like using Meta Knight in this game. He can reliably kill most characters with Dimensional cape at 100% and up. 130ish% for the heavies. 160% tops.

PK Gaming

Any Pit/Dark Pit users here? I think I might finally be getting the hang of the character, but there's one problem that's really costing me matches, and I can't seem to figure it out.

His jab...is there anyway to do the simple 3 hit combo? I always end up going into the multi-hit and then the other person gets out of it and punishes me.

Hold the A button

Jado

Banned
Why do some people keep playing loss after loss after loss and will suddenly quit after they win once?

Mentioned this before in a post. The Smash online playerbase is overflowing with shitty attitude players. I get these on a regular basis:

-Disconnects while getting demolished or a split second before a game-winning KO.

-Leaves after a very narrow victory because he doesn't wanna risk losing in a second match. Particularly disappointing if he's a good opponent (not cheesy or a roll spammer) and I thought we would get a good series of matches going.

-Leaves after one loss for same reason above (record obsession).

-Advanced player: leaves after one match if he thinks he's too good for you, or if you're figuring him out and catch up in subsequent matches.

-Plays with main and loses, switches to alt and loses, switches to your main and loses, switches to Little Mac and leaves whether he wins or loses.

-Plays as Little Mac. Stays for cheesy wins. Leaves after one loss of any kind, unless he believes you got lucky and thinks he can definitely win the next one.

-Loses consistently. Switches to cheesy/spam tactics, finds some success in being a shitty player, leaves after one or a couple of perceived guaranteed wins.

-The one you mentioned: Loses a bunch, leaves after the first win to be a spiteful asshole like someone who needs to get the last word in an argument.

Basically, there are a lot of petty, immature players who want the easiest wins possible across the board and want to lose as little as possible regardless if it's a better opponent who could improve their game or someone they could have fun matches with. Win or lose, I will play anyone for a few matches unless there's lag or something, and will generally be a good sport. I'm amazed on a daily basis how bad the overall community is, but I haven't played many online games. Maybe this is normal. I still really like this game (honest).

JXb5wJjl.jpg

Club Nintendo posters came in, just got the frame, and hung this up in my personal music studio!

Very dope! Although i'm not sure if I should hang up the other 2 (There's a bunch of posters in here already) or just keep them wrapped up for sometime.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Lucky, I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail...

I don't know about Captain Falcon in this game. He doesn't feel like in Melee and we're never getting that back. Even with Raptor Boost being useful for something, it's not the same.

Something about the defense in this game feels so wrong. I can't describe it because it's not like I played competitive Melee or Brawl, but it feels too easy to punish rolls (Should I REALLY get a KO for that Electroshock Arm? It's fun, but did I earn it? Should I care if I did or not anyway?), and the dodge-heavy air game is feeling repetitive.

Flowmoney

I admit it , I quit after every for glory match.

All I get is lag and bunch of link/t.link players shooting arrows.

If it isn't person that challenged me or I challenged them personally then I can't have any feelings toward them.

I was playing for glory match as Luigi and someone was Mario , they got my first life at 0% and I couldn't do anything with controlling character in the lag and fell off stage , they started fireballs during my second life and then I started resorting to scrub tactics.I almost won but I got nailed by Up Smash they did while game was freezing up with lag.

They hit ok to play me again and I just exited room.

Losing to for glory players makes me angry!!!

Only play characters who you think are fun, switch between them, and jump off the ledge if it's lagging. Records don't mean anything. You'll eventually get better just by playing and paying attention to what causes you to lose, rather than getting mad playing your main in laggy 1v1's against people who might not even be any good.

Anth0ny

Oh my.

-----------------

I kinda like using Meta Knight in this game. He can reliably kill most characters with Dimensional cape at 100% and up. 130ish% for the heavies. 160% tops.

I don't think MK is as bad as everyone thinks. But I can't play him with the 3DS.

I'm dying to play him with a Gamecube controller.

Hatchtag

Banned
I know the face of my enemy.

character-link.png

Fuck this guy.

He's really annoying as a Mac main. Most characters have distinct patterns to projectile spamming and can't change those patterns up much. Not Link and Toon Link. Three different projectiles, one of which they can charge or not charge to fuck with timing. God damn you, Link.

Leaf Shield is the quite possibly most criminally underappreciated move in the game. It has saved me lots of times, gotten me a grab that led to a successful edgeguard, and gimped lots of recoveries with it. Having active hitboxes while rolling and airdodging is soo good.

ReiGun

He's really annoying as a Mac main. Most characters have distinct patterns to projectile spamming and can't change those patterns up much. Not Link and Toon Link. Three different projectiles, one of which they can charge or not charge to fuck with timing. God damn you, Link.

I never feel more helpless than when I play against Link. I'm either trying to dodge a minefield of projectiles or he's sticking his sword up my ass. I feel like I'm beginning to grasp Peach's matchups against the more common characters (Mac, Palutena, Rosalina, etc), but I got nothing for the Links.

Also got mollywhopped by a Pac-Man the other day. I think it was like the third one I've fought ever; I forgot he was in the game lol.

Masked Man

I said wow

As a fellow Mac main, I feel your pain. Those projectile walls aren't insurmountable, but they sure are frustrating. I faced off with a really solid Link player on For Glory the other day, though, and it was practically impossible to get in a hit edgewise.

Felensis

Banned
This is not true. I think what it is trying to say is that you cannot copy just the save files to another SD card. This is common protection measure. Animal Crossing also has this.

You are able to copy the entire SD card to a new one with no problem. If you are just upgrading to a new card it is easy and will work fine. Just copy the entire card to a newly formatted card.

Many thanks for the information, it's much appreciated! Now I'm getting a 32 GB card since I only have left ~9000 blocks after downloading Shovel Knight today :eek:

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So using Le Sick Upboats Reddit made a tier list. It's mostly made up of stuff people have won/lost to on For Glory, unpopular characters getting barely any votes and bandwagoning.

What do you guys think?
I agree with Mii Swordfighter; the reach is hideous.

random25

I know the face of my enemy.

character-link.png

Fuck this guy.

LOL I just said the previous days ago that Link's arrows feels too OP this time around. Link's projectiles makes approaches hard, especially against characters with less range and no counter against them like reflectors or shields.

Villager too high, Ike too low.

Quoting myself to further clarify. Besides the obvious fact that it's far too early in the game's life to be making a tier list, it's clear that this was a quick and dirty creation. There should be matchup listings at least, instead of just throwing characters into a ranking and hoping for the best.

That being said, the reason I said Ike too low/Villager too high is because people are concentrating on the "now" instead of the "later." Ike is a solid character who gets kills thanks to fundamentals, hard reads, and predictions. There's no real reason for him to be anywhere near the bottom of any tier list aside from people deducing that he belongs there because he's slow. He got a few buffs with the new game, but nothing too obvious, so people are more concerned with their new toys.

Conversely, Villager is too high because he relies on gimmicks. All of his buttons are horrible; they're either too slow, don't deal a lot of damage, are situational, or some combination of the three. They're also really weird. This makes him an unpopular choice, but it also works in his favor because there's not a whole lot of people willing to put in the work with him. That being said, Villager as a whole is awful (bottom 5 IMO, bottom 10 at the extreme least); he gets rushed down with ease, which is problematic in a game that favors rushdown over everything else. He does have one good thing going for him in Pocket, which allows him to counter characters who rely mainly on projectiles (Lucario, Samus, Greninja, Bowser Jr., etc)

I predict that after the game has had time to breathe, Villager will drop like a rock and Ike will cement himself in the mid tier. You don't wanna sleep on Villager though; just because he's bad doesn't mean he can't kill. Those gimmicks I mentioned are real as fuck.

Also, if you're wondering who is in my Month 1 Bottom 5 (in no order):

- Metaknight
- Villager
- Zelda
- Palutena
- Samus

Metaknight is secretly still good though.

JoeInky

So using Le Sick Upboats Reddit made a tier list. It's mostly made up of stuff people have won/lost to on For Glory, unpopular characters getting barely any votes and bandwagoning.

What do you guys think?

My immediate reaction for a tier list would probably end up being something like this:

S: ZSS, Rosalina and Diddy Kong
A: Lucario, Yoshi, Sheik, Greninja and ROB
B: Peach, Mario, Duck Hunt, Pac-Man, Ness, Jigglypuff and Charizard
C: Captain Falcon, King Dedede, Bowser, Link, Villager, Bowser Jr. and Toon Link,
D: Robin, Marth, Pikachu, Fox, Wario, Dr. Mario, Mr Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, Luigi, Metaknight, Falco and Ike
E: Little Mac, Lucina, Shulk, Megaman, Dark Pit, Pit, DK, Kirby and Olimar
F: Ganondorf, Samus, Palutena and Zelda

Ignoring the mii fighters because I've only played them once, most of them are just based on what tools are available to the characters rather than experience with them really.

This is also assuming default customs, I think it shakes up quite a bit with custom moves.

I am so disappointed that the "different character for each stock" thing is Smash Tour only (lets face it, we're not going to be able to play that by itself in default Smash). I think it would really shake up the way people pick characters in local tournaments.

Top Bottom