• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

You shouldn't be trying to keep Robin out. You should be trying to stay in. Robin has really awful options when dealing with fast characters with reliable pressure. In particular, our shield grab (and general grab range without the benefit of roll-cancelling) is absolutely terrible, and our approach options themselves are pretty weak. Our most reliable option in that regard is a short-hopped Arcfire (and that's punished if you don't space it correctly), but any of Robin's other aerials when approaching from the ground are fairly easily shielded and possibly even punishable. Your solution to Robin's high priority Levin aerials is not to try and clash, because yes, you will probably lose. Use air-dodges more and keep Robin from taking control of your position. Constantly short-hopping Levin Sword aerials covers a really small amount of options; it's definitely not something that should control the stage unless you let it.

I tried mainly with DK, Charizard (Flare Blitz wasn't bad), Bowser, Yoshi, Ike, Jigglypuff, and Dark Pit. I feel DK was the worst matchup. The easiest matchups were Sheik (obviously) and Greninja, but I also started to feel like he was not a very good player, because Greninja doesn't have the same strengths as Sheik and he's my most-played.

Gotta walk before you can run.

You know damn well what Sonic has "gotta" do and it sure as heck isn't walking.

Jado

Banned
The game should force you to perform a connection quality test before you're allowed to connect online. This is the most disgustingly poor system for an online game I've ever seen in my entire life. The match I'm in right now is literally so laggy that I'm typing this message WHILE the match is going on. And do you know what the best part is? You get banned from Wi-fi if you turn the 3DS off to escape from an unplayable match. Whoever thought this was a good idea clearly didn't take lag into consideration.

I had a similar idea where one could toggle a setting that would prevent matches against players with consistently terrible connections (generous threshold to disregard occasional lag spikes). I really think a bunch of people out there are playing with lowest tier DSL/cable, plus bad modem/router hardware, and making others suffer for it.

Anyone play a match with seemingly no lag but unresponsive, clunky controls? Strangest thing. Had one yesterday that made me think my 3DS was failing and almost lost to a scrub.

In other news, I hate Sonic. Have no idea how to deal with him.

emb

Anyone play a match with seemingly no lag but unresponsive, clunky controls? Strangest thing. Had one yesterday that made me think my 3DS was failing and almost lost to a scrub.

In other news, I hate Sonic. Have no idea how to deal with him.
Input lag like that is the worst. Way worse than the whole game slowing down. Everything looking normal makes it all that much more frustrating. Sometimes I'll play matches with stuttering and slow down, but with input lag I won't ever even try it. Not worth it when my inputs don't register for an extra quarter of a second.

Sonic's tough. I had to make pretty careful use of projectiles to weaken his mobility on the ground, and then pay close attention to when I can't overzealous about punishing him after he spins through me. I don't know anything useful about the matchup, but for the sake of discussion, what character are you using against him?

Sonic is definitely a character who gets rewarded for obvious but effective patterns in casual play but is probably tough to use competitively, with his tiny arms and lack of tools.
He can still attack after directional spindashes, so don't chase him all over the place hoping for a punish. Have to be patient, I think.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
All custom stuff (moves, equips, etc) transfers. It was in that "50 smash facts" video Nintendo put up a week or so ago.

Nope, it's not. If you set up the characters with those moves, equipments and headgears/outfits then you can transfer the characters to Wii U. However you can't edit those characters on Wii U.

Basically we have to farm all over again if we want to have free reign of those options on Wii U version.

Edited: I will double check in few minutes. Yeah, I'm right unless it was voiced over.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Spot on

In other words:

Uktbu3X.png

I feel

violated

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Sonic is definitely a character who gets rewarded for obvious but effective patterns in casual play but is probably tough to use competitively, with his tiny arms and lack of tools.
He can still attack after directional spindashes, so don't chase him all over the place hoping for a punish. Have to be patient, I think.

Wished I could upload my replays. I played a Sonic last night that was zooming all over the place. I was getting pretty tired mentally so I decided to just stand and block as much as I could. Won the match with throws. He quit right after.

ProphessorX

Neo Member
I try to not play Bowser. If I can successfully read an opponent I am already set to win. He's real good and I like the fact he is good. Ganondorf though...

But but your avatar! And Bowser definitely has more speed and reach than Ganon. There are some good Ganons on smashboards. A Japanese Ganon (Gungir?) got 2nd in an October cup with around 100 players. Faced Megamen, Rosalinas, Greninja, etc. So that says something about his viability.

Lost to a Yoshi though.

Edit: http://youtu.be/I9oPnmouioM

Jado

Banned
Input lag like that is the worst. Way worse than the whole game slowing down. Everything looking normal makes it all that much more frustrating. Sometimes I'll play matches with stuttering and slow down, but with input lag I won't ever even try it. Not worth it when my inputs don't register for an extra quarter of a second.

Figured it was input lag. Glad it wasn't just in my head. I agree that it's more horrible than any other lag in the game.

Sonic's tough. I had to make pretty careful use of projectiles to weaken his mobility on the ground, and then pay close attention to when I can't overzealous about punishing him after he spins through me. I don't know anything useful about the matchup, but for the sake of discussion, what character are you using against him?[/QUOTE]

Game & Watch, Duck Hunt Dog. Got stomped. I literally can't tell what he's going to do next and he's too fast for me to react. I've beaten Sonics before, but a good one is just about the worst, one-sided match-up I've ever encountered on a consistent basis.
Fighting him feels exactly like this:

goku-vs-vegeta-o.gif

What people here play Ness? I want to learn him since Lucas is gone.

And even when the game seems to be running well, there's always minuscule input lag. You'll definitely feel it trying to get tight timing on moves like Substitute.

Game & Watch, Duck Hunt Dog. Got stomped. I literally can't tell what he's going to do next and he's too fast for me to react. I've beaten Sonics before, but a good one is just about the worst, one-sided match-up I've ever encountered on a consistent basis.

goku-vs-vegeta-o.gif

I use Sonic pretty often and I gotta say that, while I feel bad for the person playing against me, it does feel pretty awesome when you get into that rhythm.

goku-vs-vegeta-o.gif

I had a match recently that went like that. Discovered that his fully charged spin actually beats palutena's jab (which is new to me, normally his spins are stopped dead by it) and I was getting air-dashed and everything. Ironically, despite being on the back foot the entire match and getting beat around, I still won somehow though in all honesty I'm not entirely sure how :eek:

edit: on a fun note, had some local games today and in a 2v2 stock match, my team-mate got killed off early leaving me to fend for myself as Zelda vs 2 opposing players (both still had 2 stocks each). I don't think I've ever wrecked people so badly with crazy teleport shenanigans before and it's good to feel the old 'me vs many' playstyle kicking in and getting me to a win, much to the disbelief of my team-mate and the opposing team. Highlight of the match for me was short-hopping into a teleport ontop of one enemy to hit them with the dissapearing hitbox and tele-fragging the other with my re-appearing hitbox :D
It's ironic but when I'm on Zelda I think I fight even better when there's multiple opponents rather than just the 1 XD

I'm also steadily seeing a pattern where people struggle the most against my Robin compared to most of my other characters. If I wasn't focussed on Palutena and Lucina I think Robin would easily be my main and considering that I do reasonably well with her just as a tetriary that I don't really study or train with, I'm almost curious to see what I could squeeze out of her with some actual dedication :3

heya Gem, enjoy your round 2 bye :p

why not use Palutena, Lucina, AND Robin?
I do... but in that order :p

Don't get me wrong though. despite these small moments of glory they're not reflective of my general play (outside of having an easier time against folk with robin) I'm still not all that great at smash, definitely not tournament winner material XD
Still, I'm enjoying the super smash sisters tournie so far and for as long as I continue to stay in :3

For contrast I'd recount all the times I've SD'ed with Lucina but I'd be here all day. I just call her the 'queen of suicide' now ¬.¬

TheOGB

Banned
Ugh, first time in a while playing FG and every match so far has had pretty bad lag. Last match ended with a no contest due to a connection error. Think I'm gonna wait a while to practice my Dr. Mario and just do All-Star Mode in the meantime.

DooD1234

What people here play Ness? I want to learn him since Lucas is gone.

And even when the game seems to be running well, there's always minuscule input lag. You'll definitely feel it trying to get tight timing on moves like Substitute.
If you want to murdered by a Ness look for a guy name Shamrock. He just recently won Neogaf 3DS Tourny here. Other people in this thread will tell he a great Ness too.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to murdered by a Ness look for a guy name Shamrock. He just recently won Neogaf 3DS Tourny here. Other people in this thread will tell he a great Ness too.

I now feel a little less bad about losing so hard against him so hard yesterday.

Beelzebufo, good games! Geez, Olimar strikes fear into my heart. =_= Ever since Brawl, and now he has a recovery that isn't complete crap. *shakes fist* Your Wii Fit Trainer and Lucario were damn good as well. Now I know what it's like to be on the opposite side of aura :(

Hmm...tips fighting against Link/Tink? Reflector characters kind of shut them down but for me personally characters that outrange me in hitboxes make life difficult for me. Hell I even have trouble fighting Link since his sword is bigger than mine and going in for the kill is difficult because of that.

Ugh, I hate it when I finally play someone good on For Glory, only for them to leave after two matches and I never see them again. Makes me feel like I'm losing chances to level up my game. :mad:

So how's everybody developing? We got any new killers here? HOW DO I GIT GUD WITH MEGA MAN? D:

Beelzebufo, good games! Geez, Olimar strikes fear into my heart. =_= Ever since Brawl, and now he has a recovery that isn't complete crap. *shakes fist* Your Wii Fit Trainer and Lucario were damn good as well. Now I know what it's like to be on the opposite side of aura :(

Hmm...tips fighting against Link/Tink? Reflector characters kind of shut them down but for me personally characters that outrange me in hitboxes make life difficult for me. Hell I even have trouble fighting Link since his sword is bigger than mine and going in for the kill is difficult because of that.

Hmm... that makes sense! Thanks! Yeah, those are my main three, although I've been thinking of picking up Marth/Lucina eventually if only because of that long sword reach. And yeah, Olimar is so annoying to fight against haha.

Do you use Lucario too?

DaBoss

Well my Circle Pad is definitely busted to the point that it is very noticeable during battles.

If I input up or down, it will hang there for a while before returning to the neutral position. I have to return it to the neutral position myself. Recalibrating it only slightly helped, but still see its effects in-game (I will be crouching after I input any sort of down input).

I'm still gonna play, but man, it sucks so much. Hopefully it doesn't affect ORAS (I can imagine myself right now choosing the wrong move because the Circle Pad was still inputting a direction), MH4U (this shouldn't be too bad since I will likely not let go of the circle pad ever lol) and any other 3DS games.

ProphessorX

Neo Member
King D. Man he is annoying to play against. Takes forever to kill. His recovery. His deceptive range and quickness. Also don't roll backwards when he throws the spikes. Out of the heavy characters, his ranged attack sets him apart. I consistently lose against him true story.

Cedric

King D. Man he is annoying to play against. Takes forever to kill. His recovery. His deceptive range and quickness. Also don't roll backwards when he throws the spikes. Out of the heavy characters, his ranged attack sets him apart. I consistently lose against him true story.

I find his recovery so annoying, mainly because once he hits the ground you think it's safe to drop the shield, but then there's this weird impact thing that lingers for longer than it should and pushes you away.

Hmm... that makes sense! Thanks! Yeah, those are my main three, although I've been thinking of picking up Marth/Lucina eventually if only because of that long sword reach. And yeah, Olimar is so annoying to fight against haha.

Do you use Lucario too?

Yeah! Well actually I've been thinking of dropping him for a few reasons. I really miss Brawl Lucario's play style and the new aura mechanic is pretty amazing--but at the same time I feel bad about it. I've been trying to play new characters like Dark Pit and Lucina but that hasn't been working out so well. I may just end up keeping Lucario after all. Toon Link is the character I enjoy the most.

Yeah! Well actually I've been thinking of dropping him for a few reasons. I really miss Brawl Lucario's play style and the new aura mechanic is pretty amazing--but at the same time I feel bad about it. I've been trying to play new characters like Dark Pit and Lucina but that hasn't been working out so well. I may just end up keeping Lucario after all. Toon Link is the character I enjoy the most.

Why? You're still more easily killed the more power you have.

ProphessorX

Neo Member
I find his recovery so annoying, mainly because once he hits the ground you think it's safe to drop the shield, but then there's this weird impact thing that lingers for longer than it should and pushes you away.

A lot of his moves can hit you that you think can't. His forward smash comes out so slow that it actually covers a little above him and drags you forward. The spikes are hard to time in hitting back and sometimes you still get hurt doing it. I've SD'ed many times when they edge guard with it by focusing on avoiding them and missing the ledge entirely. I just don't hav any solid strategy against him. I play aggressive or wait and bait him and still lose. Something about King D idk.

Top Bottom