• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

tnaden

Cross posting:
English notes:
We are planning to release the next patch (Ver. 1.0.4) within the month.

This patch will adjust the game balance by refining the strengths of some fighters. It also includes various other gameplay fixes. Please see the notices on the next page."

[NOTICES]
-Local Wireless will not work if a player who has updated to 1.0.4 tries to battle a player with an older version.
-Receiving patch 1.0.4 will disable playback of replays saved using older versions.
-This patch is required for online play." from the main menu alert on Smash 3DS.

(Available in-game if you press Y on the main menu. Spotpass)

Anth0ny

Still wish they could have tried to find a way around this. I have more than a few replays that I really value and it's bad enough only a limited number of them can be saved but now every time a significant patch is released I'll lose them? Both the limited amount and the patch issue really compromise the point of having the replay feature if you ask me.

Yeah, it's reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally dumb. If they're going to start implementing balance patches, there should be a way to keep replays from older versions of the game. Ridiculous.

Masked Man

I said wow
Thanks. I noticed this player barely use tilt moves and b moves besides her up b. I need to change the way I play with her.

Yeah, the only tilt Palu should really be using with any frequency is Utilt to intercept opponents approaching from above.

nice, I guess this should be up tomorrow, or thursday at most

The update text says "sometime this month," but I'm guessing it will coincide with the US release of Smash U.

Probably means they're actually changing shit. Like, move speed/knockback and all that good stuff.

Replays are just button inputs, so shit would get all de-synched if it tried to play back an older replay with the new patch implemented.

Yeah, losing the ability to watch old replays suggests that they really will be making mechanical adjustments. Exciting! (Although I wish I didn't have to say goodbye to all the videos I took thus far...)

k_hop

I *knew* there would be some changes in the Wii U version of the game, glad they seem to be updating the 3DS version to coincide

Also, looking for games if anyone is down

AdaWong

Rules:
-You can't save another stage unless 5 other people voted after you.
-You can't save the same stage two rounds in a row.
-Copy and paste accordingly, please! (include the rules)

Remaining LIST:
Battlefield
Final Destination
3D Land
Golden Plain
Rainbow Road
Paper Mario
Mushroomy Kingdom
Spirit Train
Brinstar
Yoshi's Island
Dreamland
Corneria
Unova Pokemon League
Prism Tower
Magicant
Arena Ferox
Flat Zone 2
Reset Bomb Forest
Wario Ware Inc.
Distant Planet
Tortimer Island
Boxing Ring
Guar Plain
Balloon Fight
Living Room
Find Mii
Tomodachi Life
Pictochat 2
Green Hill Zone
Wiley Castle
Pacmaze

SAVED:
1-Jungle Japes
2.-Mute City
3-Gerudo Valley

Yeah, the replay thing is quite dumb :/ ... But it also makes sense, given the way replays are treated in this game.

Though I will gladly lose replays if it means having balance patches in the game!

Masked Man

I said wow
Yeah, the replay thing is quite dumb :/ ... But it also makes sense, given the way replays are treated in this game.

Though I will gladly lose replays if it means having balance patches in the game!

I actually just eked out a win as Duck Hunt against a really solid Link, so I saved the replay by recording it on my phone, haha.

DaBoss

The only alternative to keep replays stored is to make the game remember what version the game was using and then load that version for replays. That's (uneccessary) extra work just to keep older replays working.

DodgeDusk

Hello, SmashGAF. Been lurking since just before the ESRB leak. Felt a bit rude to just randomly post without first posting an introduction. So hi. Despite not being able to post until today, I already do like it here. Let us hope to good times!

To not stray completely off-topic, it is a shame older replays won't work anymore in the upcoming update; had some really good matches saved. But, as ErrorMacro already said, it can't be helped, given how they function this game

Also, has the Fortress Boss Remix from Super Mario World been posted here? From what I've heard from the Wii U's OST, it's one of my favourite tracks, alongside Mt. Dedede, K.K. Bubblegum, and Quick Man Stage. In another forum I frequent, no one's really talked about it. Which is a shame

emb

The only alternative to keep replays stored is to make the game remember what version the game was using and then load that version for replays. That's (uneccessary) extra work just to keep older replays working.
Saving replays > changing the balance for no reason. Easy solution would be not to change the balance. It's (uneccessary) extra work.

:(

Wish I had a decent way to record a few. I might just stop playing online...

mStudios

Replays wont be playable because they are just recorded inputs. So, if the balance changes, the reply will desync.

It's not hard to understand that.

It sucks to lose replays, but the benefit of actual balance changes makes this a worthwhile loss. The likely reason we are losing replays is this: replays don't actually record the videos from your match. That would take too much space. Instead, the game records the inputs that are made at various times, and literally "re plays" the match in front of you. If game mechanics change, it won't produce the same match. It will end up all ugly and desynched. The only way around this would be to keep separate code stored for each update of the game that represent the mechanics of the time. That could be very space-consuming over time.

Rules:
-You can't save another stage unless 5 other people voted after you.
-You can't save the same stage two rounds in a row.
-Copy and paste accordingly, please! (include the rules)
This sort of thing is frowned upon here.

Patch notes, pls ;A;

IIRC, games like Halo 3 use a similar method to save the replays, since the user could control the camera in any way possible. Perhaps it has something to do with the increased storage of the 360, saving previous versions of the game for replay? I hope Bamco/Nintendo eventually figures out how to keep it working.

RomanceDawn

Man I am missing online smash! I'm on a cruise with bad wifi...

Looking forward to this patch though. Do we know of any character differences from the Wii U version. I just want DK's ground slap to have less leg in the air and on the ground. If I could use it mid air and have it emmmediately function on the ground that would be great.

Idk if it's just me but how are people seriously enjoying Smash on the 3ds?? I just bought the 2DS last night and it's just uncomfortable playing on it. The little circle pad is just not suitable for smash at all. It feels slippery and restrictive and my hand feels cramped playing after a few minutes. The tiny screen with zoomed out characters on less than stellar stages make for a bad impression. This seriously left a bad impression on my first experience with Smash 4. I'll tolerate it for a few days and return it to get the Wii U version. I don't know why they bothered making a handheld version.

emb

Idk if it's just me but how are people seriously enjoying Smash on the 3ds?? I just bought the 2DS last night and it's just uncomfortable playing on it. The little circle pad is just not suitable for smash at all. It feels slippery and restrictive and my hand feels cramped playing after a few minutes. This left a bad impression on my first experience with Smash 4. I'll tolerate it for a few days and return it to get the Wii U version.
You get used to it. I think the 2DS is way, way more comfortable than the 3DS or XL for Smash (and in general). Still, you're right. It's something you tolerate.

I know some people don't mind the controls at all though. Personally I'm looking forward to GCN controller, will be a big step up imo.

You get used to. I think the 2DS is way, way more comfortable than the 3DS or XL for Smash (and in general). Still, you're right. It's something you tolerate.

I know some people don't mind the controls at all though. Personally I'm looking forward to GCN controller, will be a big step up imo.

I'm sure I'll get used to it but I don't think it's even worth it anymore. Playing it on the 3DS seriously deflated my hype for Smash. I feel like just returning it today and waiting the 10 days until the proper version comes out and erase this memory. I didn't like the way the game felt at all.

emb

I'm sure I'll get used to it but I don't think it's even worth it anymore. Playing it on the 3DS seriously deflated my hype for Smash. I feel like just returning it today and waiting the 10 days until the proper version comes out and erase this memory. I didn't like the way the game felt at all.
Right, that's the thing with having two versions, and the teaser releasing first. Neither is exciting, because the first one will be gimped and the later one won't feel that new after you've already been playing it on 3DS. It's great for people that wanted portable Smash, but not so great for me.

At this point yeah, I'd say it's worth it just to hold out for the Wii U version.

AdaWong

It sucks to lose replays, but the benefit of actual balance changes makes this a worthwhile loss. The likely reason we are losing replays is this: replays don't actually record the videos from your match. That would take too much space. Instead, the game records the inputs that are made at various times, and literally "re plays" the match in front of you. If game mechanics change, it won't produce the same match. It will end up all ugly and desynched. The only way around this would be to keep separate code stored for each update of the game that represent the mechanics of the time. That could be very space-consuming over time.

This sort of thing is frowned upon here.
:(

Right, that's the thing with having two versions, and the teaser releasing first. Neither is exciting, because the first one will be gimped and the later one won't feel that new after you've already been playing it on 3DS. It's great for people that wanted portable Smash, but not so great for me.

At this point yeah, I'd say it's worth it just to hold out for the Wii U version.

The Wii U version will feel new. There's a boatload of new content to make it feel new and the fact that it'll be a gigantic leap in terms of graphics and presentation makes it the definitive version.

emb

The Wii U version will feel new. There's a boatload of new content to make it feel new and the fact that it'll be a gigantic leap in terms of graphics and presentation makes it the definitive version.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still very excited!

Just that the meat of these games, for me, is learning the new mechanics and playing all the characters. I still have a lot to learn, but it doesn't feel like a whole new world. It feels like it's gonna be another version of a game I already played.

But I love event mode and using the c-stick, so it's ok. ^.^

Hello, SmashGAF. Been lurking since just before the ESRB leak. Felt a bit rude to just randomly post without first posting an introduction. So hi. Despite not being able to post until today, I already do like it here. Let us hope to good times!

To not stray completely off-topic, it is a shame older replays won't work anymore in the upcoming update; had some really good matches saved. But, as ErrorMacro already said, it can't be helped, given how they function this game

Also, has the Fortress Boss Remix from Super Mario World been posted here? From what I've heard from the Wii U's OST, it's one of my favourite tracks, alongside Mt. Dedede, K.K. Bubblegum, and Quick Man Stage. In another forum I frequent, no one's really talked about it. Which is a shame
Heya and welcome. There's been more talk about the wii's stuff in the wii thread including some major cataloguing of all the tracks people have found and whatnot so it's worth a peep over there if you enjoyed the fortress boss remix :3

Kind of interesting to see how completely unreliant this player is on any of Palutena's specials. Not that most of her defaults are that useful, but wow, I didn't know you could get that much mileage with nothing but Palutena's normals. I may need to rethink my strategy with her.

Thanks. I noticed this player barely use tilt moves and b moves besides her up b. I need to change the way I play with her.

Yeah, it's interesting, especially in that first match given that Meta Knight is such a short-ranged character. Auto-Reticle seems to be an ideal zoning tool against characters with no ranged attacks whatsoever.

Auto-reticule actually works better than you'd expect against certain ranged characters too. Robin genuinely struggles with it as it beats all their projectiles except Thoron (any lesser version of thunder gets eaten by one of the auto-reticule shots) :eek:
Just uh... don't try to use it against little mac too often ¬.¬

People's surprise at the reliance on normals confuzzles me as her specials leave her pretty open in general and several are situational enough to not be much use against certain characters and most have little to no KO potential. The normals are kind of all you have for the majority of the match and some of the normal attack properties are quite surprising like the shield hitbox on b-air/dash attack I love to mention repeatedly that eats the hitboxes on any attacks it comes into contact with that aren't super-armoured :p

edit:
I guess it's maybe something I should've mentioned in the old Palutena advice 'essays' I posted before? Then again, I guess I forget that I'm the kind of lunatic who plays a character in Soul Calibur with an enormous weapon and goes "huh... wonder if it'd be better if I just punched everyone instead?" so perhaps people discovering that kind of stuff on their own isn't something I should take for granted when writing tips or helping peeps out :3

For Glory has sucked all of the fun in this game for me
but there's nothing to do besides that
maybe i could get all the Classic trophies.
It does seem like a shame that online for 3ds, at least, is basically 1v1/2v2, omegas only OR free-for-all chaos, no omega stages every, all items on at the 3DS incredibly high and uncustomisable spawn rate. I can appreciate worries about splitting communities or whatever too much but some flexibility or even a slightly broader range of choice would've been nice XD

Is anyone hoping for a buff to their character? Preferably, no nerf suggestions.

Personally, I would like Bowser's down smash to have a slightly bigger hitbox. It seems like one of the weaker down smashes in the game, and I almost never choose to use it over Fortress. Fortress is mobile, has almost as much knockback, does solid damage, and has a significantly faster startup. The tradeoff is just not worth it for me.

If I could make a second change, it would be a recovery reduction on Bowser's Fire Breath. It has so much end lag on it that people can sometimes even punish me when I use it wisely (looking at you, CHARIZARD!).

Other than that, I feel like Bowser is pretty perfect. Sure, I would adore super armor on his forward smash, down smash, or down B, but none of those are essential.

Is anyone hoping for a buff to their character? Preferably, no nerf suggestions.

Personally, I would like Bowser's down smash to have a slightly bigger hitbox. It seems like one of the weaker down smashes in the game, and I almost never choose to use it over Fortress. Fortress is mobile, has almost as much knockback, does solid damage, and has a significantly faster startup. The tradeoff is just not worth it for me.

If I could make a second change, it would be a recovery reduction on Bowser's Fire Breath. It has so much end lag on it that people can sometimes even punish me when I use it wisely (looking at you, CHARIZARD!).

Other than that, I feel like Bowser is pretty perfect. Sure, I would adore super armor on his forward smash, down smash, or down B, but none of those are essential.

For Palutena:
* I'd like a reason to use Palutena's tilts more often because right now d-tilt and more specifically f-tilt see genuine usage from me once in a blue moon. Most of the time i do them it's a failed smash :p
* I'd like her side smash to less frequently utterly miss people standing right next to her for no apparent reason. Being outside of range I can get, but failing because they're 'too close' doesn't sit right with me at all and they're usually too confused by it as well to make use of the opening it causes half the time :p
* Auto-reticule seriously needs to still target people in invincibility frames. I don't care if it won't hit them, I just want the blasted ability to actually freaking fire when I press the button :p
* I'd like it if her counter didn't take 5 years to start up. It's not even a particularly good counter in terms of knockback or hitzone compared to it's contemporaries so I don't see why it's lumbered with such a lengthy delay before it becomes active :/

For Lucina:
* I'm sure some won't agree with this, but I'd really like it if her up-B didn't go past the ledge. I can deal with it, but it's almost never useful as a property to me and more often a detriment :/
* is there any particular reason the last hit of side-b doesn't hit if you combo into it properly? I have to delay the strike to actually make it connect if I want to use the side version (which gives the opponent space to easily escape) so more often than not I just resort to the up version which DOES hit when you combo it properly most of the time :s

Robin:
* if they could tweak the angle on arcfire just a degree or two down so it hits the ledge at one-roll's distance away that'd be neat and save some needless shuffling about to correct for it when I want to edge guard. not a lot, just enough to make it hit the ground's edge instead of missing and going off into the void :3 This isn't super important though :p

I just want a speed buff and less lag for some of Ike's move.

Extra points if they give him super armor to his forward aeiral.

Just for my amusement since I'll start thinking I'm using Haggar and his pipe again

Azure J

Marth

- Give double fair pls
- Slightly decreased fair -or- nair landing lag

Seriously, as much of a Marth main and advocate I am for him, I get why the changes were implemented so I'm not asking for much beyond this.

Pit:

- Up Air is a single hit high knock back move a la Project M
- Fair is a single hit move with medium knock back
- Palutena's Bow has less cool down on use

Pit got a lot of new toys but retained the worst part of his original design in Brawl. Dude just doesn't kill at all. Even moves that are called kill blows like Upper Dash Arm and his newly buffed smashes still struggle to get good KOs at ~115%. The Palutena Bow projectile changes were good since they promoted less arrow spam (albeit at the expense of one of my favorite emergent techniques in a fighting game ever - Arrow Loops thanks to the active duration nerf on uncharged arrows) but that ending recovery after an arrow is fired is straight up overkill.

The uair change gives him a fun juggle button and if used in the early parts of the animation could be used as a KO move when the opponent's at a high enough damage. Fair change is to allow better off stage carries.

Fox

- Mid air reflector stalls momentum and works a la Brawl's.

This one isn't serious. I just miss the stupid strings I could put together using shine stalls.
#FreeBlaster autocancels on landing
:lol

Tried to stay away from anything that involved animation changes, but that's all from me so far.

What I want is my boy Lucas back.

jByor2zw0L5w5.JPG

Top Bottom