• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Dimmle

I'm sure I'll get used to it but I don't think it's even worth it anymore. Playing it on the 3DS seriously deflated my hype for Smash. I feel like just returning it today and waiting the 10 days until the proper version comes out and erase this memory. I didn't like the way the game felt at all.
Playing Smash on 3DS is like eating a pumpkin pie with a pair of toothpicks, yes.

Masked Man

I said wow
For Palutena:
* I'd like a reason to use Palutena's tilts more often because right now d-tilt and more specifically f-tilt see genuine usage from me once in a blue moon. Most of the time i do them it's a failed smash :p
* I'd like her side smash to less frequently utterly miss people standing right next to her for no apparent reason. Being outside of range I can get, but failing because they're 'too close' doesn't sit right with me at all and they're usually too confused by it as well to make use of the opening it causes half the time :p
* Auto-reticule seriously needs to still target people in invincibility frames. I don't care if it won't hit them, I just want the blasted ability to actually freaking fire when I press the button :p
* I'd like it if her counter didn't take 5 years to start up. It's not even a particularly good counter in terms of knockback or hitzone compared to it's contemporaries so I don't see why it's lumbered with such a lengthy delay before it becomes active :/

Completely agreed on all counts. I'm trying to learn to love Lightweight, but as far as For Glory is concerned, we're stuck with Counter, so it would be great if Palu's were actually usable. :/ Likewise, the proposed changes to her Fsmash and Autoreticle would be a god
dess
send. I hate trying to punish with Fsmash, only to whiff because the opponent is "too close." Likewise, being able to target opponents in invincibility frames could help punish frequent rollers. Plus, as you said, it's just frustrating that it doesn't fire at all. :p

What I want is my boy Lucas back.

jByor2zw0L5w5.JPG

Dat picture... Sakurai, bring back our boy! ;______;

I'd like Luigi's up-B to get a bit more vertical distance. Compared to the rest of the roster, Luigi's recovery is awful. Dedede's up-B can take him from the very bottom of the screen to the ledge, but Luigi's can barely go half that distance. What's up with that?

Otherwise, most of the characters I use feel good, and I can't think of anyone else who really needs a buff (though I'm sure Olimar mains would disagree lol)

Completely agreed on all counts. I'm trying to learn to love Lightweight, but as far as For Glory is concerned, we're stuck with Counter, so it would be great if Palu's were actually usable. :/ Likewise, the proposed changes to her Fsmash and Autoreticle would be a god
dess
send. I hate trying to punish with Fsmash, only to whiff because the opponent is "too close." Likewise, being able to target opponents in invincibility frames could help punish frequent rollers. Plus, as you said, it's just frustrating that it doesn't fire at all. :p

Thankies :3
I'm still holding off on fussing about with Customs until the Wii-U version because I don't really get many local games on the 3DS version and while playing against people I know online is better learning and gameplay wise, the communication barrier of having to keep one eye on my PC and one on my 3DS kinda irks me (which is one of the reasons I've always distanced myself from online play in fighting games) :p

I was tempted to mention some kind of improvement for down-smash as for most characters it's used for roll punishing and hers doesn't quite feel right, but I've punished plenty of people trying to roll past me with it successfully so I can't really complain :p

Unless the Wii U version is getting an update the same day, it will be a disappointing but minor parity patch for those invisible changes you didn't notice between versions. Not this time, I think.

Jado

Banned
Played the best Toon Link ever last night, probably the best I'll ever encounter. Seemed to be using every advanced techniques to be as fast/agile as possible and negate movement/jumping lag (hookshot?). Nonstop short hops and bomb/arrow/boomerang.

Basically got a few random lucky hits before he 2-stocked me and bounced. I usually get mad when a better player leaves after one match because I lose an opportunity to learn from someone more experienced, but I wasn't even mad. Wasn't worthy.

Tan

Is anyone hoping for a buff to their character? Preferably, no nerf suggestions.

Personally, I would like Bowser's down smash to have a slightly bigger hitbox. It seems like one of the weaker down smashes in the game, and I almost never choose to use it over Fortress. Fortress is mobile, has almost as much knockback, does solid damage, and has a significantly faster startup. The tradeoff is just not worth it for me.

If I could make a second change, it would be a recovery reduction on Bowser's Fire Breath. It has so much end lag on it that people can sometimes even punish me when I use it wisely (looking at you, CHARIZARD!).

Other than that, I feel like Bowser is pretty perfect. Sure, I would adore super armor on his forward smash, down smash, or down B, but none of those are essential.

Yes. Fix Bowser Jr.'s hitboxes or change his animations to not be deceptive. Tired of marios Up B'ing out of my neutral jab that also has a million years of recovery.

Masked Man

I said wow
Thankies :3
I'm still holding off on fussing about with Customs until the Wii-U version because I don't really get many local games on the 3DS version and while playing against people I know online is better learning and gameplay wise, the communication barrier of having to keep one eye on my PC and one on my 3DS kinda irks me (which is one of the reasons I've always distanced myself from online play in fighting games) :p

I was tempted to mention some kind of improvement for down-smash as for most characters it's used for roll punishing and hers doesn't quite feel right, but I've punished plenty of people trying to roll past me with it successfully so I can't really complain :p

Yeah, coordinating online play can be difficult, but playing online is definitely a great way to test out custom builds. That said, For Glory is simple and allows you to pick up and play whenever, so it's easy to just fall into the trap of sticking with the default special moveset. :/

I've had mixed results as far as Dsmash is concerned. Much like Fsmash, I've found it suffers from "too close" syndrome. I'm pretty sure her wings overlap with her body when performing her Smash attacks, so the hitboxes should overlap, too!

Miis might be my favorite new addition after all of this. I don't know if they're considered to be any good, but I just love playing as goofy characters, so being a Skeleton and fighting Prof. Layton makes it all too much fun.

random25

Trying out new mains after getting eliminated in the Bash Sisters tourney. This time with Palutena. She's really good against projectile-based characters like Samus and Link.

Zane

I really hope they don't take away Wario's momentum glitch.

They already did in the Wii U version. I'm also wondering if the balance patch will just to be to bring parity between the versions. I've noticed several balance changes in the Wii U version, such as Luma's respawn timer being changed from 8 seconds to 13 seconds

Golnei

I tried making a Jack Frost Mii earlier, but I couldn't stop it from looking more like a vampiric egg. But with the right combination of accessories, something decent emerges.

tumblr_neu3kfkKG61rypw9yo1_400.jpg

This is probably the only time I'll ever see SMT and Fire Emblem characters in the same game - at least within this decade.

Oh my god.

I just learned how to condition people into thinking I short hop f-air on Robin, then nail them with a surprise aerial nosferatu.

Once they stop reacting to your first jump while you face them you know you got them trying to shield grab you.

This + the fact that you can quickly use it for a guaranteed tome throw. I have figured out the uses of the down b.

Now all I need to do is to be able to actually use his superior pivot grab.

God all this time I thought he was a middle tier character and now I realize he's honestly one of the better ones. Maybe not top 5 but def top 10. Aerial arcfire traps are amazing.

Masked Man

I said wow
It's been awhile. Can't wait for the wii u version guys :)

Good to see you again! Can't wait to have more Mac matches with you on the Wii U. :)

They already did in the Wii U version. I'm also wondering if the balance patch will just to be to bring parity between the versions. I've noticed several balance changes in the Wii U version, such as Luma's respawn timer being changed from 8 seconds to 13 seconds

Whoa, I totally didn't know they changed anything already! Spin will be disappointed that they got rid of the Wario float. Have you discovered any other considerable changes?

PK Gaming

Hell, i'll take nerfs if it meant they would buff Robin's grab.

Robin's shield grab game is intolerable. 9 frames of startup? Are they nuts...

Moonlight

Banned
Hell, i'll take nerfs if it meant they would buff Robin's grab.

Robin's shield grab game is intolerable. 9 frames of startup? Are they nuts...
That and the pathetic range is absurdly punitive. The lag on a whiff is pretty crazy, too. Robin's grab-game is just excessively bad. I don't even need any of the throws buffed (even if it would be nice), it's just fucking silly to have to work so hard for a goddamn grab.

PK Gaming

That and the pathetic range is absurdly punitive. The lag on a whiff is pretty crazy, too. Robin's grab-game is just excessively bad. I don't even need any of the throws buffed (even if it would be nice), it's just fucking silly to have to work so hard for a goddamn grab.

Seriously, it's a grab that fails in every respect (range, speed and cool down).

Like the Diddy Kong & Sheik matchup are awful, but a functioning grab would go a long ways towards making it more manageable.

SoldnerKei

gotcha xp

edit: any tips? lol

Good games dude!

well, you played pretty well, SDs aside lol, my 2 cents would only be that you did something really wrong on our Lucina vs Link match, you were walking out on some occasions, giving me more freedom to spam stuff, with more match-up experience you will handle your battles even better, so keep it up!

hope we play again sometime x)

Monster Zero

Your Greninja is damn decent, you tend to go straight for kills once people are in KO range making your approach predictable, I pretty much made it a game of baiting your down air, your edge game should be much much varied with ninja, there's not many characters that can keep him off stage.

Your Pacman is not varied but you still have a few go to patterns which better players will figure out. Your hydrant shouldn't be my best weapon, I was loving you abandoning your hydrant to me lol, and it cost you some stock.

Top Bottom