• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

i can do one more and i gotta bounce sorry i didnt ask what kind of rule set u wanted to play in :/

btw ure name looks familiar have we fought in for glory?

ggs man also i learned something new about palu sorry the matches were so short :/

SoulUnison

Banned
It'd be really cool if we had, like, a list of GAFers by region/time zone(?) so people could just have a Friends List full of like-minded gamers relatively near themselves for good connections.

I'm on my 3DS at least once a day and it'd be awesome to be able to just jump into some GAF Smash, or MK7, or Animal Crossing, or Pokemon, etc..

I'm a 26yo guy on the west coast of the US and the only 2 people on my Friends List are 2 IRL friends that pick up their 3DS's maybe twice a month, if that.
I'd also like to play some Equipment/Customs matches, since when I do manage to get one of them to play they're staunchly "No Items, No Customs, No Equipment, No Miis, Omega Stages Only."

I'd use my 3DS even more if it felt like I was tied into some sort of community.

SeanR1221

Thanks to your smash run tips, I've gotten much better...

BRxo1lr.jpg

Played over 100 smash run rounds... still don't have all the powers.

I'd like to hear these tips :)

I was messing about on for glory and bumped into a mega-man called omega. His entire playstyle could be summed up as:
a) throw metal blade
b) run up and grab

Predictable, right? the problem is it worked all too well XD
I began spot-dodging his grabs and returning the favour pretty quickly but that's when he started spot-dodging my own grabs. For whatever reason I just couldn't beat him despite him barely using his moves (grab = answer to everything) and generally being predictable. I wish I'd taken a replay but I've been full on those for ages and not bothered cleaning them out due to the new patch coming at some point :p
I hate losing to predictable folk though... partially because it almost never happens but when it does I beat myself up for being able to see the repetitions but somehow not finding an elegant solution quickly enough :/

I also bumped into a shiek who basically ran away for the entire match. They started to fight back once they realised I had their dodging pattern down and would throw them every time they rolled but I've never seen someone so determined to draw out the timer :p
Match went to sudden death (maybe their aim all a long?) but they quickly realised that I'm fairly wise to shiek's sudden death shenanigans and couldn't land a hit. Unfortunately the difficulty was mutual and I couldn't quite land a hit either.
Bob-ombs started dropping and despite one breaking my opponent's shield I was the one who got KO'ed by the raining death as I dodged one dropping bomb straight into the spawning point of another :p

To be honest, the sudden death made me realise, though, that the tournament rule of whoever has the lowest % winning basically being biased towards characters who can wrack up % easily. Avoiding shiek's needles or fox's blaster is a lot of work (the needles come out so quickly I can't even just reflect them on Palutena) and if you're playing someone with a big hitbox like bowser I'd imagine you just get %'ed constantly despite your best efforts. It doesn't really take into account that 80% on Bowser's opponent isn't the same as Bowser having 80%.
Not that i'm saying sudden death is in any way better though (there's a reason nobody outside of nintendo uses it to decide anything after all :p ) but it makes me wonder if there's not a more balanced solution somehow/where.

My favourite thing in for glory as palutena is still teaching my opponent that auto-reticule can't be reflected back at me... they'll attempt to bounce it back a few times before realising that the angles are messed up and I can just keep spamming it with impunity unless they approach me :p

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Dedede - will I do something stupid? Maybe, and then I die. As long as I play smart, I win.

That Dedede vs. Ike match though.

----------------

No thoughts on Bowser vs. Bowser?

---------------

I just made one of my friends Ragequit after reverse Dropkicking him to his doom. He practically went straight up. And he made too many mistakes about challenging my Upsmash. At least I found out that Bowser can cancel out Link's damn Power Arrow move with a few attacks. ^_^

That's really discouraging! :(

It killed me, I had to use a hammer for the 'get all items' challenge after that.
I'm not cut out for that kinda grind :(

Huh, I've killed 26k enemies and don't have the enemy one... got the event one though.

Yeah I'm convinced I got everything, even the little red and white guy who runs away dropping presents who I only ever saw once, but nope.
There's something else out there... (supposedly)

georly

I'd like to hear these tips :)

Well, what works for me is auto-healing/vampire equipment (then I have a speed one to get all my stats close to zero). Then use spinning sword/brief invincibility and I like to fill the rest with hammers or other powers, whatever I can fit.

It killed me, I had to use a hammer for the 'get all items' challenge after that.
I'm not cut out for that kinda grind :(

Yeah I'm convinced I got everything, even the little red and white guy who runs away dropping presents who I only ever saw once, but nope.
There's something else out there... (supposedly)

Refuse to hammer. Will keep playing ;_;

I *JUST* killed the present guy (or at least I think I did, he dropped something after I hit him so hard he flew off the screen...). I swear I've killed everything, but nope, still nothing.

That Dedede vs. Ike match though.

----------------

No thoughts on Bowser vs. Bowser?

---------------

I just made one of my friends Ragequit after reverse Dropkicking him to his doom. He practically went straight up. And he made too many mistakes about challenging my Upsmash. At least I found out that Bowser can cancel out Link's damn Power Arrow move with a few attacks. ^_^
That is what I meant. I was actually trying to be smart there and run up to counter the fsmashes, but the counter never came out. Should have been an easy win.

Only thoughts on Bowser vs. Bowser is that you saved the replay from our weakest match. =p

Want to play?

Watching these, I think there are a few things worth working on:
1) You don't seem to have much of a ledge guard game. Opponents come back on the stage at their leisure. What about using Villager's tree and fsmash?

2) You never follow the Lloyd in it seems. Doesn't that have really good recovery so you can use it for safe pressure?

3) The unsafe aerials hurt you a lot in the first match.

Great use of Pocket. Question: does Villager's grab have a lot of startup? It seems pretty slow.

Watching these, I think there are a few things worth working on:
1) You don't seem to have much of a ledge guard game. Opponents come back on the stage at their leisure. What about using Villager's tree and fsmash?

2) You never follow the Lloyd in it seems. Doesn't that have really good recovery so you can use it for safe pressure?

3) The unsafe aerials hurt you a lot in the first match.

Great use of Pocket. Question: does Villager's grab have a lot of startup? It seems pretty slow.

1) It's online, and the matches I had before these ones had a good delay on them. I was still getting used to these ones.

2) I keep forgetting to follow Lloyd. :p It has great recovery though. Once Villager is done posing, you can move.

3) Read 1

Pocket has very little startup, and is completely invincible while he sticks his hand out. The recovery on it is awful though, so it's not like it's a good replacement dodge or anything aside from certain attacks.

ggs jrdev, I'm done. I can't play anymore under these conditions. :( Nice Peach though, I like how you play her. I should crib some of that stuff for my pocket princess. :p

God I can't wait for next Friday.

georly

I love playing smash run... and then it's a race at the end... against captain falcon and sonic. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Revven

I'm gonna try and record all of my replays with my crappy digital camera and then upload them all to youtube before the patch drops (and before the Wii U version releases). I've got a looooot of work ahead of myself lol...

Oh in other news I played against TKBreezy on-stream earlier this evening (on his stream) online, pretty good set we had. I won 2-1 but they were all really close.

emb

I'll play against whoever, I think you're on my FL already, whats your game name.
Good games Jrs!

Falco is weird. He doesn't seem terrible, but it was really hard to get out of the mindset where I think I can spam short hop dair, shl, and up tilt.

Your Greninja's solid. I liked that you were changing up the timings on things so often.

Jrs3000

Good games Jrs!

Falco is weird. He doesn't seem terrible, but it was really hard to get out of the mindset where I think I can spam short hop dair, shl, and up tilt.

Your Greninja's solid. I liked that you were changing up the timings on things so often.

Thanks, Ahh thats what you were aiming for. Your sheik was much better, who's your main character?

emb

Thanks, Ahh thats what you were aiming for. Your sheik was much better, who's your main character?
Main is definitely Sheik. She's way too much fun. Even though the damage output is so low, it feels great to get fair x4 into bouncing fish or something silly like that.

Oh it's fine. I got my ass beat. Ike has a lot of range. Couldn't believe I was doing well as Wario though.
Matchup inexperience. I need to lose a few times while I figure out how to handle him with Ike.

Anyway, my wife just got a call from her father saying that her little brother is in the hospital with blood clots all through his body, so I won't be playing more tonight.

So out of boredom, I decided to give Little Mac a shot. He's pretty fun, a pure footsies character in a game that isn't known for it. I can see why a lot of people gravitate towards him, he deals out big damage in stupid ways. People were going crazy trying to figure me out since I wasn't constantly running or going for Smash attacks. Instead I was going for grabs as I was reading their fear. :lol :lol
Am I crazy or is online really laggy tonight? I usually don't run into much lag, but my connections have been rough lately.

It ain't just you, tonight has been unusually rough.

Top Bottom