• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Moonlight

Banned
As a Robin main...

"orz":

Little Mac: Half-decent Little Macs will fuck me up. Hell, not even half-decent Macs. All they need to do is spam the shit out of dash attack and roll afterwards and I am a hundred percent free. It's hard as shit to punish almost anything Mac throws at you and a well-placed counter fucks up my momentum hard. Even winning a match against Little Mac, it feels like my brain needs a minute to cool-down from the experience. It's just mentally exhausting.
Diddy Kong: I'm pretty sure that when a Robin player dies and is cast into the dark pits of hell, all they'll have is a 3DS with a busted circle-pad and every single opponent on For Glory is Diddy Kong. They'll jump around any attempt at creating space with your projectiles, punish any attempt to charge Thunder, throw you around like a rag-doll and there is absolutely nothing you can do to keep Diddy out of your face. This match-up haunts me, and my only reprieve is that Diddy's kind of rare in my experience. I've got a local friend I play with weekly and that's it, for the most part.
Zero Suit Samus: I have trouble with basically any character who doesn't have to respect most of Robin's projectile game. ZSS is one of them with the crazy speed and with how her energy whip can cancel out a shocking amount of Robin's projectile game.
Sheik: needles needles needles needles needles needles needles needles

"weeeeeeeeeeeeee":

Peach: I've only actually fought Beats' Peach, but I found it pretty enjoyable all the same. I mean, I lost most of those matches, but I never felt like it was anything other than simply being outplayed. I think it's a fun, fairly even match-up, anyways. This is pending that 0%-to-death combo that will surely destroy me in the future.
Shulk: Very fun! I love fighting Shulk as pretty much anyone, but Robin in particular. I like how often you need to reassess the match whenever Shulk changes modes, and I think while Robin has most of the control in the neutral game, Shulk's range, versatility, and his Counter really forces you to get a little creative about zoning him out or trying to approach.

"large and also the opposite of in charge":

- Ganondorf: Dude just can't do much to me, but of course I don't think I've run into legit good ones. He's got a huge hurtbox and absolutely no answer to Robin's zoning game or Arcfire. He's just too slow and too limited in terms of his options. And because he's such an easy target, the window for landing an Arcfire follow-up on him (and the other big guys) is much easier than, say, Mac or Sheik.
- Bowser: A little more troublesome, since Fire Breath is actually pretty decent in neutral and he's got better and faster moves than Ganondorf, but it's mostly the same story. He's too large and slow to keep Robin from controlling position, and he's just so huge that landing Levin follow-ups isn't troublesome at all. I find the match-up pretty easy once momentum begins to swing over to me. Again, I don't fight Bowser that often, so I'm probably not giving him enough credit.

"i can deal":

Villager: The bottom line is that Villager doesn't have much in his arsenal that can provoke Robin into approaching, and Robin has tons. Most of Robin's projectiles beat the Gyroid, and the Villager can't really enjoy much safety in the tree when Robin can charge Thoron. And when Villager's on the approach, well, I think Robin can handle it.
Rosalina: Arcfire does a great job of separating Luma and Rosalina. Getting denied most of the utility in your thunder tome kind of sucks, but Robin's got just enough priority and disjoint in the air to challenge Rosalina there, and she's light enough that it's not exceptionally difficult to get KOs on her. It's tough, but manageable.
Wario: F-tilt is your best friend. So is Arcfire. I have a lot of trouble here, but I think it's more a lack of skill on my part than anything related to the match-up itself. Robin's got a lot of stuff on her side. Arcfire really stuffs a lot of the bike's utility, and Robin's got the disjoint and priority to keep batting Wario away, but I think these matches go pretty slow in general. Robin needs to be a lot smarter about throwing out projectiles when Wario can just sit there and eat them, and it's actually really hard to do much about Wario in the air, so actually killing him is just... troublesome.

"fun to beat on when they suck":

Wario: There is nothing funnier than watching a Wario straight up drive right into an Arcfire and set himself up for a follow-up. Arcfire almost totally invalidates the bike as a thoughtless approach option and it's glorious.
Little Mac: arcfire arcfire n-air n-air n-air n-air arcfire n-air n-air n-air n-air n-air thoron
Villager: Not really match-up exclusive, but rolling through a Villager riding a gyroid toward you on the ledge and watching him kill himself is amazing.
Ike: Aether spam, meet Arcfire. Arcfire, Aether spam.

"wtf is even going on":

- Sonic: i'm sorry to say that scrubby-ass homing attack spam has taken more stocks from me than i would ever care to admit
- Bowser Jr: [explosions everywhere]

Anyone who isn't listed here, I, uh, just don't fight that often, so I can't really say what I feel about the match.

Main: Bowser

Easy:
Luigi - um, block his aerial attacks and punish. I've never had to do more than this. He can't zone me like Mario, so the only point of frustration is gone. Characters without projectiles are usually my easiest matchups.

Peach - what does a good Peach look like? I might move this if I ever meet one.

Wario - since I learned how to deal with the bike, I haven't fought a challenging Wario. His attacks are all stubby and small; I can space him out usually.

Donkey Kong - I haven't fought a good one yet, but I suspect this could be medium. Not hard, since I have better spacing tools.

Zelda/Shiek/Palutena/Kirby/Metaknight/Jigglypuff/Lucario/Marth/Ike/G&W/Dark Pit/Pit/Olimar/Palutena/Shulk/Pac-man/Mii Crap - I haven't fought a good one yet. They've all been free.

Pikachu - I don't think I've even been KOd by one of these.

Wii Fit Trainer - annoying, but never challenging unless it's Beats with customs on, and then only because those customs are far too strong.

Medium:
Mario/Dr. Mario - I tend to win, but it's always a struggle just because the fireball spam is difficult to deal with, and getting thrown leads to big damage against Bowser.

Diddy Kong - I haven't fought a good one, and he was still a struggle. Probably hard if the opponent is competent, but I need to experience that first.

Samus - if I give her a lot of space and her shot is charged, things can get funky. If I am aggressive, the win comes naturally because she is poor at KOing.

Dedede - will I do something stupid? Maybe, and then I die. As long as I play smart, I win.

Charizard - even though I think Charizard is stronger than Bowser in the matchup, I haven't really faced a great Charizard yet. Lots of mediocrity out there. Random Flare Blitzes getting them killed, etc.

Captain Falcon - so damn fast...but overzealous play usually balances it out. Too many gung-ho players out there.

Rob - kind of like a crappy Samus in my experience.

Rosalina and Luma - kill the Luma, then kill Rosalina. Works more often than not. She's strong, but doesn't make me pull my hair out like some other characters do. I just have to take it slow and respect her.

Bowser Jr. - multi-hit attacks that are pretty safe are annoying, and the mecha koopa drives me nuts. Still, he usually struggles to KO, and I can gimp him with Fire Breath easily.

Robin - clearly strong, but I usually just let the player run through Arcfire charges and then go in. Nothing terrifying, but it requires patience.

Little Mac - easy except for the KO punch. That move is not well balanced.

Villager - a serious pain in the butt because I don't know the proper answer to his projectile game, but he struggles to KO.

Duck Hunt Dog / Megaman - pewpewpew. I block a lot and try to get in. I am still learning the best strategies for both, but I tend to win more than I lose even against skilled players, so it's not too frustrating. Megamans' fsmash usually kills me, and DHD usually doesn't kill me at all.

Hard:
Ness - those damn PK Thunders, and the air combo to like 30%, combined with throw kills and him outranging all of my attacks in the air, just kills me. If the Ness thinks spamming PK Fire is a good idea though, I'll win. The Ness has to know what he's doing.

Yoshi - he's like Luigi, but his aerials have much better range, multihit, and he had good projectiles.

Link/Toon Link - multi-hit attacks that beat most of Bowser's options in terms of range plus projectile spam make this an up-hill battle. Lag makes it unwinnable. If the connection is clear, I usually win with smart and patient play.

Ganondorf - the grab is really difficult to deal with because it's kind of like Ganondorf is playing my game, but he has a better tool for it than I do. I fought a Ganondorf that two stocked me two matches in a row, and I was furious. Then he left, so I never got to learn. :-(

ZSS - outranges me and is faster. Blech. KOs unreasonably soon, and seems to take forever to die for her weight class.

Fox/Falco - played my first good Fox last night, and went 50/50. Extremely taxing. Falco's laser stun pisses me off, especially when combined with his super strong reflector.

Sonic - I haven't even fought a good Sonic and this guy gets under my skin. I just don't know how to handle most of what he does. It's ignorance right now, really. It could change once I find a good Sonic to 1v1 for a long set.

Greninja - fast and has a lot of random tricks to mess with my head. Even when the player is bad, I never really "have him".

SeanR1221

Had a really weird streak of games.

These two people did the same thing every time.

One would attack me and the other stood around and did nothing. They never attacked each other. Even if I died they'd both just start taunting.

This was in for fun. How did two friends get to play together?

Luigi - um, block his aerial attacks and punish. I've never had to do more than this. He can't zone me like Mario, so the only point of frustration is gone. Characters without projectiles are usually my easiest matchups.

Kirby/Shulk - I haven't fought a good one yet. They've all been free.

Dedede - will I do something stupid? Maybe, and then I die. As long as I play smart, I win.

We need to go against each other one day.

Global Smash Power is an amazing tool to bring me back to the same modes over and over, and is also entirely too frustrating. I get it, I'm placed ahead of 2.07 million other players in Smash Run and Solo Classic... But out of how many? 3M? 2.071M? I can't tell how close from the top I am, and that's super duper frustrating because I FEEL like I'm doing well, but I'm just completely confused if I am or not.

Also, first 9.0 Classic clear last night, feel like a baller and ready for WiiU ver.

georly

yeaaaaaah.....

Thanks to your smash run tips, I've gotten much better...

BRxo1lr.jpg

Played over 100 smash run rounds... still don't have all the powers.

I kept forgetting to change my taunts. LOL

It was strictly for my real life friends. Sorry >.>

its cool man i was like gat damn heath is being ruthlesss lol

that wonky b side ruined any kind of momentum i wanted i couldnt handle it my mind just went a total blank last one tho :p

last one now also those taunts they are so heavy :/

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
its cool man i was like gat damn heath is being ruthlesss lol

that wonky b side ruined any kind of momentum i wanted i couldnt handle it my mind just went a total blank

That's right. I"M RUTHLESS! (No No, I 'm not. :p)

Lucina's side B isn't great for me since I always preferred Marth over Lucina.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Top Bottom