• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

ffdgh

I really feel like giving up. My win ratio is about 25% right now and even though I feel like I keep improving, I just keep being matched against better players than me.

It's a shame they didn't use Mario Kart 8 online system. =/

Don't let a few losses get you down. Every bit of practice helps.

ChrisD

I really feel like giving up. My win ratio is about 25% right now and even though I feel like I keep improving, I just keep being matched against better players than me.

I don't think matchmaking systems can work... pretty much ever in a fighting game -- ESPECIALLY one like this with 50~ characters. Things are difficult to judge for a system. Are you doing poorly and you need to go against lower ranked people? Or do you just have troubles with certain characters and had a bad streak involving them? Doing really good? Or was it just a streak against a match-up you know?

I think it could have been improved, but it's pretty good.

Now for a healthy dose of cheesy "Don't give up." Take a break if you feel yourself playing poorly. But don't give up entirely. The whole you learn from your losses thing is real. You just have to actually look into the information learned rather than get bummed out by it.

This imput lag is REALLY annoying. I pressed B down as Yoshi, other guy hits me, I get knocked back off the stage a bit, THEN the B down registers and I fall to my doom.

Azure J

Whoa IceDoesntHelp got banned? Good.

Consistently one of the most obnoxious posters in this thread with nothing to justify all that vitriol besides "muh purple space dragon isn't in" and a chip on her shoulder about the general state of Kid Icarus representation in Smash 4. A chill pill was needed months ago.

ChrisD

This imput lag is REALLY annoying. I pressed B down as Yoshi, other guy hits me, I get knocked back off the stage a bit, THEN the B down registers and I fall to my doom.

If I feel input lag that's too unbearable I just suicide and look for a new lobby. Not worth playing those rounds. That's one example where you really won't learn from losses. Or wins. You learn nothing but how to play a second in the future. >_<

SmithnCo

lol I had it happen where I press down B as Dorf, Shulk hits me, and it registers while I'm off the edge and I kick into the abyss.

trutrutru

New D3's pretty fun, I'm liking him a lot. But yeah, throwing Gordos can be a double-edged sword sometimes. I'm always keeping my shield up after I toss one in case it gets smacked back in my face lol.

Yo, but your Ganondorf was putting in work though. He pretty much clobbered me every time you brought him out; poor Charizard and Ike got messed up.

Ganondorf is just so damn powerful lol. Across all fighting games, positioning tends to be my strong suite (although your DDD and Sonic make that statement look like a complete lie lol).

And with Ganondorf, you just need to be at the right at the right time. So he suites me well sometimes. Cause when he hits. It hurts

Beats

For any Luigi players it's possible to do Luigi Downthrow > Fiery Jump Punch Custom Up B with the critical hit.

That was a lucky break for me, haha.

Great games, Beats! Wish I had a less unceremonious way to leave those rooms, but it's getting kinda late here. I'm a little proud of myself from going from a 1:4 stock ratio from last time to something closer to a 1:2, but I guess I've still got a ways to go. Luigi's dash attack never fails to catch me off guard. Don't think there's a single dash attack in the game that feels like it goes on as long as that does, so I always try to dodge roll out and I still get caught. The air combos you were pulling off were pretty nice, too. Took me a while to figure out how to deal with that fireball ledge-guarding too. :sweatdrop

And of course, I still have barely any clue how to handle your WFT. It's way too intense. That stuff you were doing with the heavy soccer ball like launching it at high speed with the Sun Salutation was craaaazy.

Think I've gotta work on my spacing, though. I was pretty bad at planting some of those Arcfires. :p

and all those times I forgot arcfire existed entirely ._.

Good games Moonlight! I think you improved compared to our last encounter. If I'm directly on top of you on the second level platforms on Battlefield is there any move you could do besides up-smash to hit me from below? I saw you do that a few times and that made it easy for me to avoid it and get an attack in. Robin's grab range seems really small, but maybe using the long range Nosferatu custom move could make up for it in some cases? I feel like you would have definitely gotten some of those grabs if her range wasn't so short. > . <

Yeah, the dash attack goes on for a bit, but he does a couple of rapid hits then a slight pause and then the last hit, so you can hit him there if you're blocking it.

You can deflect the Heavy Volleyball with your normal attacks and any sweeping normals/aerials will do well against it. Up-Air if you see it coming down on you and maybe F-air if it's going straight at you. There's a risk you might get hit if you don't time it properly though. : p

takriel

Who mains Lucina or Marth? I need practice getting my butt kicked sometime, because I have this embarrassing habit of owning someone's face with Marth, them switching to Lucina, and proceeding to wreck me. Destroy me. It's just sad, really. (I win some of the time, but when I lose it's often completely one-sided.)

I think part of the problem is that I have no idea how to fight against someone with the exact same melee range, and I'm not used to fighting someone as counter-happy as I am, which everyone seems to be with Lucina.

(I can't do so now, but I am interested if anyone is up for it later.)

I'm not yet sure who my mains will be, but I'm fighting a lot with Lucina right now. We can do a few battles if you want. I'm glad to get some additional training in! However, keep in mind that I'm decent at best with Lucina :p

If you're interested, my FC is 3609-2231-6052

PK Gaming

Who mains Lucina or Marth? I need practice getting my butt kicked sometime, because I have this embarrassing habit of owning someone's face with Marth, them switching to Lucina, and proceeding to wreck me. Destroy me. It's just sad, really. (I win some of the time, but when I lose it's often completely one-sided.)

I think part of the problem is that I have no idea how to fight against someone with the exact same melee range, and I'm not used to fighting someone as counter-happy as I am, which everyone seems to be with Lucina.

Lucina is one of my secondaries (plus I used Marth pretty often in Melee). If you want to get some practice in, hit me up with a PM.

Nah man. Ness was buffed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=133132463&postcount=16060

edit: GGs Jorge! I tried some new things on Mac today. Some worked, some didn't

You should also point out that Ness's down throw pops them up, and it nearly always grants you a follow-up aerial at low %.

Codeblue

I main Lucina (as much as I can claim that after only a week) and need to get some practice in anyway. I'll pretty much be playing the game all weekend, so hit me up if you want to go a few rounds.

Durden77

Quoting myself to see if I can get some help

So to tech out of Ganon's side b, it's just like a normal tech right? Hit shield right as you hit the ground?

Cause I swear I'm doin that shit and have done it before, but im these matches i'm playin now I haven't been able to pull it off. And he will rip you up if you can't tech it.

Also I just looked at my playtime....I don't even wanna talk about it. Although I did pass out with it on a night or two looking at trophies...

Quoting myself to see if I can get some help

Also I just looked at my playtime....I don't even wanna talk about it. Although I did pass out with it on a night or two looking at trophies...

It's not enough to tech since he can still hit you after it. You have to techroll away or behind him. Practice the timing, because it's kinda weird, especially online.

Moonlight

Banned
For any Luigi players it's possible to do Luigi Downthrow > Fiery Jump Punch Custom Up B with the critical hit.

Good games Moonlight! I think you improved compared to our last encounter. If I'm directly on top of you on the second level platforms on Battlefield is there any move you could do besides up-smash to hit me from below? I saw you do that a few times and that made it easy for me to avoid it and get an attack in. Robin's grab range seems really small, but maybe using the long range Nosferatu custom move could make up for it in some cases? I feel like you would have definitely gotten some of those grabs if her range wasn't so short. > . <

Yeah, the dash attack goes on for a bit, but he does a couple of rapid hits then a slight pause and then the last hit, so you can hit him there if you're blocking it.

You can deflect the Heavy Volleyball with your normal attacks and any sweeping normals/aerials will do well against it. Up-Air if you see it coming down on you and maybe F-air if it's going straight at you. There's a risk you might get hit if you don't time it properly though. : p
I think I could probably try a short-hopped Levin uair instead of the Up-Smash, but I'm not sure if that would be just as easy to shield. Might be harder to punish, though, since it auto-cancels, so that'll probably wind up being the better option, anyways.

And yeah, Robin's grab range is utterly awful. If you noticed, I was trying to go for some of those roll-cancelled-grabs to try and make up the range difference, but I'm still kinda bad at getting that input consistently so I whiffed almost all of them. >_>

I've, uh, completed ignored the Nosferatu customs, so I'd have to get back to you on it. I think the main issue with Nosferatu is still just the intense start-up, so it's easier to react to than the bog-standard grab.

also I keep forgetting I even have nosferatu sometimes

Good to know on the soccer balls, though! Might keep me from getting constantly bounced by those things, haha. It's a really great set-up, either way. Seems like it covers a lot of options at once.

Whoa IceDoesntHelp got banned? Good.

Consistently one of the most obnoxious posters in this thread with nothing to justify all that vitriol besides "muh purple space dragon isn't in" and a chip on her shoulder about the general state of Kid Icarus representation in Smash 4. A chill pill was needed months ago.

Whoa, dude, what's with the unnecessary insults?

Was she really so annoying that you had to go off-topic to criticize her?

Codeblue

Don't get discouraged. Online is a mixed bag and your win/loss ratio is pretty much meaningless. If you want, why not post footage or yourself or play someone from here so we can give you some pointers or try to break your bad habits by punishing them.

Durden77

It's not enough to tech since he can still hit you after it. You have to techroll away or behind him. Practice the timing, because it's kinda weird, especially online.

Thanks, so you can't just do a stand up? I swear I've did that before, and I thought those were invincible for a second but I could be wrong....

emb

Thanks, so you can't just do a stand up? I swear I've did that before, and I thought those were invincible for a second but I could be wrong....
You do have some invincibility on it, it's just a matter of timing. With Ganon his hitboxes on like jab or down tilt might be out long enough to cover both tech and not tech... but if he knows which way you'll roll, he can probably punish that too. Try out different options and see what works.

Durden77

You do have some invincibility on it, it's just a matter of timing. With Ganon his hitboxes on like jab or down tilt might be out long enough to cover both tech and not tech... but if he knows which way you'll roll, he can probably punish that too. Try out different options and see what works.

Got it, thanks. I was just playing a Ganon that was getting the follow up nearly everytime, but I wasn't rolling just trying to stand up.

Man, the longer I at this game for a single session, the worse I get. I need a Smash break.

That definitely happens to me sometimes with fighters too. Ya get in your own head too much.

Who wants to Smash!.... 1v1

2750-1612-0311

I'm about to get on and I'll chomp dat bacon

JediLink

Not saying you're not bad (it's more likely that you probably are, lol) but you shouldn't get hung up over For Glory win ratios. Given lag, the stupid fact that custom moves aren't usable, and the stupid fact that it's FD only (which makes the army of noob Macs seem better than they are), it's not completely reflective of how you'd do in a conventional competitive setting.

Monster Zero

Got it, thanks. I was just playing a Ganon that was getting the follow up nearly everytime, but I wasn't rolling just trying to stand up.

That definitely happens to me sometimes with fighters too. Ya get in your own head too much.

I'm about to get on and I'll chomp dat bacon

Yus

In one way I'm glad people can't send messages to each other about salt in this game.

In another way I'm REALLY sad I can't read the hate mail. The tears would be immense.

Edit: also Ness is REALLY sick in this game. Shame I can't be bothered to learn him.

FSLink

Banned
So happy about the ness buffs. He's been my main since the original! Sad about his dair and bair though

bair is still decent enough, it still feels relatively strong even with the huge ass blast zones. If anything it helps set up for gimping off the edge with PK Thunder/nair/whatever

So fellow Ness mains, who do you think are Ness's weakest matchups?

Cruel Melee is fucking impossible. Getting KO'd at 56% with Bowser. Got 2 kills because of them killing themselves. Will likely use the hammer on the 4 kill achievement. If there's a 6 kill one I'm gonna go break something.

iirate

Cruel Melee is fucking impossible. Getting KO'd at 56% with Bowser. Got 2 kills because of them killing themselves. Will likely use the hammer on the 4 kill achievement. If there's a 6 kill one I'm gonna go break something.

You can cheese it by using any counter that scales with damage dealt(Marth, Lucina, Ike, Shulk, probably others). They'll take themselves out in one hit.

Dr. Buni

Don't give up! I get discouraged sometimes as well (like a few hours ago when I got my ass kicked by an extremely good Ike), but I know I am not getting better if I give up.

It sucks to be matched against top players but still :/

FZZ

Banned
The input lag is basically the reason I'm gonna immediately ditch this version once the Wii U one hits. Every battle against a new player is different and you have to adjust immediately. It's insane how many games I made a side smash or up smash and the game didn't register it until later and then my opponent get perfect priority with their move and build up damage on me. It further adds to the bullshit frustration I've developed with this game, something I've never had with Brawl or Melee. It doesn't even have to do with winning or losing, you just feel cheated when the game works against you and all the moves you do end up missing because of the other players Wi-Fi.

Got the 4 kills in cruel melee spamming counter with Ike. Have mostly grindy achievements left. Assume beating Master Core at 9.0 is one of them I haven't seen yet.

Monster Zero

Awesome games as always Zero. That combo into judgement was fuckin nuts. My Robin sucks haha

He's solid as fuck in this. It's weird him not sucking terribly anymore

Yea at low %, G&W dthrow can combo into almost anything now. Your robin is Aight, its in that same lane my greninja is in right now, I need more time in the lab with him

Jrs3000

The input lag is basically the reason I'm gonna immediately ditch this version once the Wii U one hits. Every battle against a new player is different and you have to adjust immediately. It's insane how many games I made a side smash or up smash and the game didn't register it until later and then my opponent get perfect priority with their move and build up damage on me. It further adds to the bullshit frustration I've developed with this game, something I've never had with Brawl or Melee. It doesn't even have to do with winning or losing, you just feel cheated when the game works against you and all the moves you do end up missing because of the other players Wi-Fi.

Yeah the inconsistent connections suck. The other Is I don't think the matchmaking puts you against people in your region or even country so you have to deal with the latency issues of someone in other countries. I also doubt it pairs you up based on ping rating. I'm going to keep mine though it's still great playing on the go and when not at home.

OK so playing Yoshi as my secondary and he doesn't feel right with Wario. Huge difference between them.

I need a secondary that can get in or at least can cover and hit from long distances while still largely being defensive to fit my playstyle. Think I'll learn ROB properly.

Top Bottom