• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

OK so playing Yoshi as my secondary and he doesn't feel right with Wario. Huge difference between them.

I need a secondary that can get in or at least can cover and hit from long distances while still largely being defensive to fit my playstyle. Think I'll learn ROB properly.

Pretty hard to edge guard against Greninja because of how far his up b goes as well as sliding farther when you hit the ground after it giving you more distance.

Durden77

Yea at low %, G&W dthrow can combo into almost anything now. Your robin is Aight, its in that same lane my greninja is in right now, I need more time in the lab with him

Bonkahs if you get a 9. Game in watch is beast in this it seems, he's really fuckin hard to gimp too, but I'm starting to notice a few weaknesses on him now at least.

OK so playing Yoshi as my secondary and he doesn't feel right with Wario. Huge difference between them.

I need a secondary that can get in or at least can cover and hit from long distances while still largely being defensive to fit my playstyle. Think I'll learn ROB properly.

Check out Falco and Pac-Man. I play very similarly and I love those two for it.

Check out Falco and Pac-Man. I play very similarly and I love those two for it.
I tried Pac Man but didn't like him. Falco is good one though. Used him since Melee so I'm familiar with him.

Times like these is when I wish Snake got back. He was thee perfect secondary. :(

Leezard

Has anyone got some tips on how to use Shulk? I'm really trying to get good with him but he's so easily punished...

I have faced a single good Shulk in my online play. He used his Monado Jump to be able to kill me with his uair at ridiculously low percentages. More than that, I do not know.

Durden77

I tried Pac Man but didn't like him. Falco is good one though. Used him since Melee so I'm familiar with him.

Times like these is when I wish Snake got back. He was thee perfect secondary. :(

UUggggh I hate thinking about how amazing he would be in this game. I really enjoy this game but everytime I remember is makes me sad as fuck.

Falco's really about putting the opponent where he wants them to be though, so he's the closest thing I've found so far. Pac-Man is more offensive and about controlling space. I haven't clicked with the dog as much as I thought I would.

Intel_89

I have faced a single good Shulk in my online play. He used his Monado Jump to be able to kill me with his uair at ridiculously low percentages. More than that, I do not know.

I use buster/smash most of the time in that order and end up neglecting the other three but still, I might be wrong but even with the Arts Shulk doesn't seem to be anywhere near a high tier character.

Backslash not letting you hold to ledges also throws me off because I keep switching between him and Little Mac.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm extremely surprised how balanced this game is in for glory 1v1. I've felt I've had a fairly equal amount of success with a lot of characters and I haven't had particular trouble with any specific characters. Some players definitely I have a hard time with, but it's always clear it's the player not the matchup after multiple matches with varying characters from both players.

Even Little Mac seems pretty balanced from what I've seen. Every time I've been beaten by one its clearly because I was outplayed. In fact I enjoy facing Little Mac most of all. Makes for a super fast ground fight, and a so easy it's fun air game. Maybe I just haven't gotten a player that knows Little Mac's true potential, but the hate seems really overblown.

Who knows if one true OP champ will emerge on the tournament scene, but for now it's so much fun having so many great match-ups.

Durden77

I'm extremely surprised how balanced this game is in for glory 1v1. I've felt I've had a fairly equal amount of success with a lot of characters and I haven't had particular trouble with any specific characters. Some players definitely I have a hard time with, but it's always clear it's the player not the matchup after multiple matches with varying characters from both players.

Even Little Mac seems pretty balanced from what I've seen. Every time I've been beaten by one its clearly because I was outplayed. In fact I enjoy facing Little Mac most of all. Makes for a super fast ground fight, and a so easy it's fun air game. Maybe I just haven't gotten a player that knows Little Mac's true potential, but the hate seems really overblown.

Who knows if one true OP champ will emerge on the tournament scene, but for now it's so much fun having so many great match-ups.

I'm really glad they brought Namco in on this. It's pretty clear from previous Smash games that Sakurai and his small team try their best, but have trouble throughly balancing the games. The extra manpower looks to have really help with the little things. The list of buffs, nerfs, and general gameplay changes all seem genuinely smart for the the most part, and feel like they're really striving to bring out each character's specialties.

While certain characters will naturally end up better than others, I think this is going to end up being the most balanced Smash game overall, not if that's saying much.

I think the decision to make For Glory FD-only is pretty strange. I wish they would have done Battlefield versions as well. Some characters have an advantage with not having to deal with platforms and characters on multiple levels. Also gives players less options on where to land when recovering, which gives some characters an advantage. FD-only explains all the Macs I see.

Tadale

I think the decision to make For Glory FD-only is pretty strange. I wish they would have done Battlefield versions as well. Some characters have an advantage with not having to deal with platforms and characters on multiple levels. Also gives players less options on where to land when recovering, which gives some characters an advantage. FD-only explains all the Macs I see.

The FD only decision tells me that they still don't really understand the competitive audience. It's like something they thought tournament fans would like.

Still, I've been having a lot of fun in For Glory. Does anyone else feel like there's some sort of real matchmaking going on under the hood? Almost every game I've had has been pretty evenly matched and I have roughly a 50% win ration, which has been going up since I got my feet under me after not really playing any smash bros since 2008.

I've been mostly using Greninja, Zero Suit Samus, and Dr. Mario.

bcl0328

what is everyone's intensity score record?

i'm at 6.0

almost beat 6.5 last night with master hand at 4hp and he threw me off the ledge -,-

Tadale

I've had a lot of good luck fighting Little Mac with Dr. Mario - the pills are great for interrupting him and I usually can get underneath his charges with a dash attack.

How the fuck do I counter some characters (Shulk, I think that Marth and Lucina too) counters? I'm training against lvl 9 CPUs but they always, always manage to get my moves countered perfectly. And by countered I mean - in Shulk's case - a move that slows time and hit you with the power that you hit him.

ugoo18

i'm at 6.0

almost beat 6.5 last night with master hand at 4hp and he threw me off the ledge -,-

8.5 playing legitimately with Samus

9.0 just brute forcing the game with Bowser.

Speaking of Samus i cannot bomb jump consistently in this game, it's making my Samus too easy to gimp sometimes by certain characters.

DaBoss

I'm currently at ~255 custom moves with 10 characters done. It honestly isn't that bad in terms of grinding. You can go after custom moves while doing something to complete a challenge. The times I don't get new custom moves are uncommon.
Any tips on dealing with the Orne in Smash Run?
You don't. ;_;

Just run when you see them.

i'm at 6.0

9.0 with Mario, Dr. Mario, Sheik, Jigglypuff, and another character that I don't remember. No equipment used for them either.
How the fuck do I counter some characters (Shulk, I think that Marth and Lucina too) counters? I'm training against lvl 9 CPUs but they always, always manage to get my moves countered perfectly. And by countered I mean - in Shulk's case - a move that slows time and hit you with the power that you hit him.
Lvl 9 CPUs will always be hard to deal with in terms of shielding and stuff. You're just going to have to outsmart them.
Does anyone knows if unlocked content and records will be synchronized between the 3DS and Wii U?
All we know is customized fighters on the 3DS version can be transferred to the Wii U version.

Predict when they will do the counter, and then grab.

Easier said than done...

DrStiles

i'm at 6.0

Finally got 9 with Charizard last night. 8.5 with Shulk, ZSS, Bowser, and Link and a few others are either at 8.5 or 8.

What's the best way to get some coin? Every time I lose at 9.0 intensity, I run out of money, and I'm always out of money because I'm always losing at 9.0 intensity lol

DaBoss

What's the best way to get some coin? Every time I lose at 9.0 intensity, I run out of money, and I'm always out of money because I'm always losing at 9.0 intensity lol
Smash Run and playing normal Smash/online. In Smash Run, go after the gold, silver, and bronze things. In Smash mode/online, just kill people and win lol.

Dr. Buni

Just beat All-Stars mode on Hard and the announcer said something like "Wow, incredible" lol

Edit: Never heard of this Nintendoji dude before.

Man, my online win record is pretty decent but I just got wrecked by some Ness player. It was unreal how good he was. I've never seen Ness played like that.

So I've almost got the entire third Challenge board completed, and I'm trying to decide what to use my last hammer on. I used the first two on "Get all outfits, headgear, and custom special moves" (because even though I have all the outfits and headgear, fuck the grinding it would take to get all the specials) and "Win a Smash Run final battle with every character" (because fuck the time that'll take too).

I've only got five challenges left to do, and I'm torn between using the last hammer on "Complete 100-Man Melee with every character" (easy but a huge time sink) and "Get all Smash Run Powers" (not really sure how hard it is, and I don't think there's any way to know how close you are to getting all of them and which ones you're missing).

Anyone have any insight on how hard it is to get every Smash Run Power?

Thorakai

Has anyone got some tips on how to use Shulk? I'm really trying to get good with him but he's so easily punished...

I remember reading something about being able to cancel the lag on his aerials if you do something with the Monado Arts switching. Try Googling, I can't get the details since the sites that explain it are blocked at work.

emb

Man, my online win record is pretty decent but I just got wrecked by some Ness player. It was unreal how good he was. I've never seen Ness played like that.

So I've almost got the entire third Challenge board completed, and I'm trying to decide what to use my last hammer on. I used the first two on "Get all outfits, headgear, and custom special moves" (because even though I have all the outfits and headgear, fuck the grinding it would take to get all the specials) and "Win a Smash Run final battle with every character" (because fuck the time that'll take too).

I've only got five challenges left to do, and I'm torn between using the last hammer on "Complete 100-Man Melee with every character" (easy but a huge time sink) and "Get all Smash Run Powers" (not really sure how hard it is, and I don't think there's any way to know how close you are to getting all of them and which ones you're missing).

I still haven't figure out what a Smash Run power is. ._.

leroidys

Really? I feel like it's very unbalanced given how much final destination favors some characters.

Masked Man

I said wow

To put things in perspective for you, I've had the game for almost a month, and the only thing I've collected all of are the outfits. Still missing two headgears (Christmas Hat and the King's Hat), and who knows how many custom moves. I can also say with near certainty that I'm still nowhere near collecting all the Smash Run Powers. Hope that helps! ;)

Iryx

There are 44 different powers and they each have a range of Lv1-Lv4, so that is 174 different Smash Run Powers in total. I usually pick up 4-6 of them each run, but since you can get duplicates, it's pretty grindy.

Tom_Cody

I've actually enjoyed playing through this with all of the characters. I just do 10-Man Smash first to figure out which moves can KO the Miis in one hit (running attacks usually end up being the best method) and then I do the 100-man run. It only takes 3-4 minutes to do a 100-man run (maybe 5 minutes total if you include 1-2 runs of 10-Man first for practice). I think I've only failed on 100-man once or twice.

I can see how it would seem like chore if you tried to do it all at once (I got burned out on this in Brawl) but it can be quite fun if you just chip away at it gradually.

Speaking of Smash Run, has anyone completed the "First Place with All Characters in Smash Run" Challenge? I'm grinding through it right now, just going in character order left-right, top-bottom. Started the 3rd row last night.

ugoo18

Is it just me or are Smash Ball frequencies at ideal levels in this. That's the only item i leave on and it feels like they appear in such a way that the battles don't become Smash Ball collection runs like they did in Brawl at times.

NEO0MJ

It really doesn't favor some characters that much. Plus, it wouldn't be different if they have chosen to make Battlefield version of the stages.

Choosing either Final Destination or Battlefeild makes a huge difference for some characters.

Top Bottom