• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Revven

It really doesn't favor some characters that much. Plus, it wouldn't be different if they have chosen to make Battlefield version of the stages.

Yeah it would've been different... Little Mac wouldn't be as popular, people wouldn't be able to freely sit at an edge and safely spam projectiles from afar, etc etc. Platforms make a very large difference, especially in terms of making some strings possible that otherwise aren't on FD.

ugoo18

Speaking of Smash Run, has anyone completed the "First Place with All Characters in Smash Run" Challenge? I'm grinding through it right now, just going in character order left-right, top-bottom. Started the 3rd row last night.

That is the first thing i'm using a gold hammer on for the 3rd page when i get the remaining 2.

deleted

I just thought about that there is no new character from Nintendo's SNES era in the game :(

King K. Rool in his pirate outfit, Dixie or Kamek would have been perfect additions.

Berordn

Speaking of Smash Run, has anyone completed the "First Place with All Characters in Smash Run" Challenge? I'm grinding through it right now, just going in character order left-right, top-bottom. Started the 3rd row last night.

I finished it, wasn't too bad. Had to redo a couple of them just because I rolled the dice poorly on the final event, but them's the breaks.

My god level 9 CPU reads projectiles every time. Click B to charge ? Mario will.have a fireball ready at the same timing. Counters too, they hand those out for free.

emb

Battlefield is more neutral than FD as well.
I know it's not exactly related to this game, but what do you think is more neutral: Battlefield or Smashville?

When I play Melee people often ask at the start, "Do you want to just go to Battlefield?". Playing Brawl and PM though, it's usually Smashville instead.

Thorakai

Is it just me or are Smash Ball frequencies at ideal levels in this. That's the only item i leave on and it feels like they appear in such a way that the battles don't become Smash Ball collection runs like they did in Brawl at times.

I agree. I only ever get it about once per match, hopefully the frequency is about the same in the Wii U version and this isn't the consequence of limiting item appearance in the 3DS version.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's not exactly related to this game, but what do you think is more neutral: Battlefield or Smashville?

When I play Melee people often ask at the start, "Do you want to just go to Battlefield?". Playing Brawl and PM though, it's usually Smashville instead.

Smashville for sure. Top platform on battlefield can be pretty major in some matchups (like most good characters vs Peach). If it didn't have that I'd probably say battlefield, though Melee battlefield does have those dumb edges.

It was also interesting that a lot of players (especially spacies) are beginning to prefer Yoshi's to Battlefield.

jorgejjvr

I've had no problems in the air with characters in previous games, but I find myself harder to fight in the air and grabbing in the 3DS version

How the fuck do I counter some characters (Shulk, I think that Marth and Lucina too) counters? I'm training against lvl 9 CPUs but they always, always manage to get my moves countered perfectly. And by countered I mean - in Shulk's case - a move that slows time and hit you with the power that you hit him.
Don't be reckless and grab them.

ec0ec0

yesterday the game arrived. Compared to all you i havent played the game at all, i know. But i have already spent some time with 4 or so characters and...

1. like i said yesterday, falcon represents that momentum when jumping after running is missing.

2. little mac represent that canceling the run animation with crouch is missing. The first time that you run with little mac feels awesome, until you realice that all you have to stop the run animation is your shield. Running doesnt feel that great. I would like the controls to let me control it better.

3. THE BIG ONE: shulk represents that THE YELLOW STICK IS MISSING!! did they desing shulk with the yellow stick in mind or what!?

4. WHY IS NOT EVERYONE LIKE SHEIK??

(Basically, i only spent some time with those characters :p)

boiled goose

good with gravy
Can someone please ask sakurai to mix up the fd versions of changes for the wiiu version? Some stages can be battlefield layout? Others fd, others some unique platform layouts.

SmithnCo

Can someone please ask sakurai to mix up the fd versions of changes for the wiiu version? Some stages can be battlefield layout? Others fd, others some unique platform layouts.

Really all they have to do is use the All-Star versions of some of them, IE Warioware without minigames.

Jaeger

I think I'ma play some Mega Man today. I have not given him any attention, yet. I wanna see how good he can be in my hands.

emb

yesterday the game arrived. Compared to all you i havent played the game at all, i know. But i have already spent some time with 4 or so characters and...

1. like i said yesterday, falcon represents that momentum when jumping after running is missing.

2. little mac represent that canceling the run animation with crouch is missing. The first time that you run with little mac feels awesome, until you realice that all you have to stop the run animation is your shield. Running doesnt feel that great. I would like the controls to let me control it better.

3. THE BIG ONE: shulk represents that THE YELLOW STICK IS MISSING!! did they desing shulk with the yellow stick in mind or what!?

4. WHY IS NOT EVERYONE LIKE SHEIK??

(Basically, i only spent some time with those characters :p)
1. Very disappointing. But it is what it is. For some reason someone in this world mistakenly thinks that this approach has any merit at all. So we just have to adapt to it.

2. Marth/Lucina make that clearer to me. Weird how long it takes to dtilt out of dash, but still kinda works. You do have options besides shield though. Pivot ftilt/grab are good for cross ups and retreats. Dash attack of course, though that's pretty committed. Jumping is a valid option for characters that aren't Mac. Even when you have to go with shield there, that's not as bad now. Shield will drop super fast, so you can basically do any move out of it, or dash the other way. For Mac in particular, roll is also crazy fast.

3. I haven't played enough Shulk to know what you mean. What are you wanting to do with him? I mostly get buffs then jab/nair/up b.

4. I know, right? She feels almost like a Melee character. Almost.
Smashville for sure. Top platform on battlefield can be pretty major in some matchups (like most good characters vs Peach). If it didn't have that I'd probably say battlefield, though Melee battlefield does have those dumb edges.

It was also interesting that a lot of players (especially spacies) are beginning to prefer Yoshi's to Battlefield.
I'm really surprised we never got a stage that was just Battlefield without the top platform. Would be great. I'm glad they got rid of the annoying edges in Melee though (and on that the note, the edges on Brawl FD too.)

It's like he thought 'oh.. you don't like my levels.. oh, you like final destination? FINE. Here are a million big empty flat platforms. HAVE FUN'

Golnei

In regards to the stages, I'd love it if they added a 'beta' variant in addition to the extant Omega mode; which would either add platforms to the FD variations or use a simplified version of the standard stage if it's already been made (i.e. Warioware, Magicant). Especially if the platform layouts were different between each instead of being Battlefield copies.

So are there any differences between this and the WiiU version at all?

Nothing much. Just the stages, game modes / minigames, trophies, challenges, items, ATs and music. They might as well be the same game.

Anyone find it harder to grab and play in the air in the 3DS version? Just because of the controls
Grab? No. Air game in general is worse though because of the worse air dodge and lack of shield stun (so you can just get shield grabbed out of your aerials)

It's annoying when you use Puff. :/

jorgejjvr

Grab? No. Air game in general is worse though because of the worse air dodge and lack of shield stun (so you can just get shield grabbed out of your aerials)

It's annoying when you use Puff. :/
Right. But I do find it more difficult to grab, I'm so used to Z, I keep grab at L cause I prefer shield in R. However neither R + A or L feel good to me to grab, idk, always have a problem with it

Ugh, there's so many people online that have perfect reaction times, if they find one opening in what you do they open up this giant combo and screw you up. Its so nerve wracking, having to play against these people that are so fine tuned to their character. My mind just can't process all this insanely fast frame by frame information this quickly and plan these elaborate combos, defensive moves and strategies all in less than a second.

Its like playing chess, only each move takes less than a second. Ugh.

Right. But I do find it more difficult to grab, I'm so used to Z, I keep grab at L cause I prefer shield in R. However neither R + A or L feel good to me to grab, idk, always have a problem with it
Oh yeah fair enough then. I actually don't use Z to grab in previous Smash games all that much haha.

Dimmle

Ugh, there's so many people online that have perfect reaction times, if they find one opening in what you do they open up this giant combo and screw you up. Its so nerve wracking, having to play against these people that are so fine tuned to their character. My mind just can't process all this insanely fast frame by frame information this quickly and plan these elaborate combos, defensive moves and strategies all in less than a second.

(And then people say I'm the one that is bad or sucks because I keep losing, but in reality they're just really really good and have gotten a great handle on the game, and I'm just an average player. )

I have played a lifetime of Smash with a local friend who fits that description. He has the reflexes of a champion.

Welcome 2 Hell.

EDIT: But it's nice playing For Glory and realizing that I'm actually a decent player and have just spent my life in the shadow of an absurdly talented player.

I have played a lifetime of Smash with a local friend who fits that description. He has the reflexes of a champion.

Welcome 2 Hell.

EDIT: But it's nice playing For Glory and realizing that I'm actually a decent player and have just spent my life in the shadow of an absurdly talented player.

Well, by my standards, the people I'm talking about are probably just decent by GAF's standards lol. Even though I've been playing Smash for the past 13 years. I can't really process thinking about my moves outside of maybe two steps ahead due to the fast pace of the game, but everyone online seems to have all these strategies (Be it defensive or offensive) for what everyone else is going to do in whatever situation is going on, and when I do something that y'all might perceive as stupid or short sighted, boom, giant combo, K.O'd. I might be able to prevent it if I could think at my opponents pace, but usually whenever I try to avoid it they just catch me with an opening again since they can read my patterns and think further ahead.

Timeaisis

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I have decent reflexes but nowhere near as fast as some of these people. I typically have to rely on my wit or their mistakes to win against them. Which, is rewarding in and of itself.

Dimmle

Well, by my standards, the people I'm talking about are probably just decent by GAF's standards. Even though I've been playing Smash for the past 13 years. I can't really process thinking about my moves outside of maybe two steps ahead due to the fast pace of the game, but everyone online seems to have all these strategies (Be it defensive or offensive) for what everyone else is going to do in whatever situation is going on, and when I do something that y'all might perceive as stupid or short sighted, boom, giant combo, K.O'd. I might be able to prevent it if I could think at my opponents pace, but usually whenever I try to avoid it they just catch me with an opening again.

I have the same problem on and offline. Lately, I've started learning to become a reactive player. If you can practice evasion, there's no shame in playing it cool and waiting until you see a solid opening. A lot of times, reflex-honed players will run right into a reversal (grab or whatnot) if you break the pattern they're used to following. That said, usually in a heated match I'm not thinking as clearly as these opponents and that affects my performance terribly.

I know I'll never be able to train reflexes as keen as my friend's, but I can at least learn his habits.

Dark Pit rules because he was the center of the only flight-only stage in Kid Icarus: Uprising and his main theme is the best track in that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COgGsetFrCM

This alone justifies his Smash appearance.

Sometime I wonder how many of the people hating on Dark Pit played Uprising and realize how significant of a character he was in that?

Masked Man

I said wow

I have! It's honestly not that bad, since the matches only last 5-7 minutes. I know some people have had trouble winning, but I've honestly only ever lost the final round a handful of times.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, by my standards, the people I'm talking about are probably just decent by GAF's standards. Even though I've been playing Smash for the past 13 years. I can't really process thinking about my moves outside of maybe two steps ahead due to the fast pace of the game, but everyone online seems to have all these strategies (Be it defensive or offensive) for what everyone else is going to do in whatever situation is going on, and when I do something that y'all might perceive as stupid or short sighted, boom, giant combo, K.O'd. I might be able to prevent it if I could think at my opponents pace, but usually whenever I try to avoid it they just catch me with an opening again. Cause I can't think ahead very well in this game since it moves so dang fast.

I don't think it's so much thinking ahead as knowing what works, making good reads, and taking advantage of mistakes and predictability.

Unfortunately these aren't really things that are easy to develop. I don't know how good you are or the quality of your online opponents but despite Smash being a easy game to pick up and play, it still takes a lot of practice and patience to be good, not even pro tournament player good, but just good in general knowing how to react, how to follow up, and just how to execute properly.

It would be nice if I could play online effectively, especially on Wii U, that would do a lot for my game. On the rare occasion I do play against an actually opponent on 3DS it's more of a screw around whatever match due to the combination of lag and the fact I generally avoid using the shoulder buttons because they are so damn uncomfortable to use.

Jawmuncher

Dark Pit rules because he was the center of the only flight-only stage in Kid Icarus: Uprising and his main theme is the best track in that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COgGsetFrCM

This alone justifies his Smash appearance.

Sometime I wonder how many of the people hating on Dark Pit played Uprising and realize how significant of a character he was in that?

I loved Dark Pit in KI:U doesn't change what he is in Smash though.

I don't think it's so much thinking ahead as knowing what works, making good reads, and taking advantage of mistakes and predictability.

Unfortunately these aren't really things that are easy to develop. I don't know how good you are or the quality of your online opponents but despite Smash being a easy game to pick up and play, it still takes a lot of practice and patience to be good, not even pro tournament player good, but just good in general knowing how to react, how to follow up, and just how to execute properly.

It would be nice if I could play online effectively, especially on Wii U, that would do a lot for my game. On the rare occasion I do play against an actually opponent on 3DS it's more of a screw around whatever match due to the combination of lag and the fact I generally avoid using the shoulder buttons because they are so damn uncomfortable to use.

I guess the best thing I could do is just keep playing and trying to learn at least one thing from each match and incorporate it into the next one.

But yeah, the 3DS is pretty uncomfortable for a game like this. Its usually not a problem for me, but smash really exposed its bad ergonomics. I haven't been getting much lag actually though in 1v1, it usually shows up in the regular mode. I guess its because its more likely for one of the 3 players to have lag instead of just my opponent.

Malajax

So can Falcon/Ganondorf still do the turnaround Falcon/Warlock punch? I've been watching a lot of smash and haven't seen it yet. It was definitely my favorite thing to pull off in a match in Brawl.

Hatchtag

Banned
So can Falcon/Ganondorf still do the turnaround Falcon/Warlock punch? I've been watching a lot of smash and haven't seen it yet. It was definitely my favorite thing to pull off in a match in Brawl.

Yupp, they both can iirc.
Both of the moves got buffed, actually. Falcon Punch now moves forward a bit, and Warlock Punch has super armor.

ffdgh

Yep. Mii brawler even has a kicking version as a custom.

Top Bottom