• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

TWILT

Banned
Who's is your favorite newcomer to play as and why?
If it wasn't obvious for me, Shulk! I wanted Shulk in Smash 4 for a long time, and he's so much fun to play as. He's pretty hard to play as, having to switch between different arts/stances (since I've never really used a stance changing character that much until now), but it feels so satisfying once I was truly learning the character. He kind of reminds me (in a sense) of Dante in Marvel 3 where he was easy to pick up, but truly hard to master (Dante's my favorite fighting gae character ever, by the way.) I'm pretty sure I only scratched the surface of Shulk and I'm gonna keep on exploring the character, because damn he's so much fun.

Whose your favorite veteran to play as and why?
Link! He was my main in previous Smash games, and while unfortunately he doesn't have a smooth track record in tiers (though he's amazing in P:M), something about Link in this version of Smash Bros just feels...right. He's also a beast with customs (HOLY SHIT at those Silver Arrows killing at like 80-90%), and considering I've been playing Link for about 10 or so years, I'm happy with this version of Link for the most part.

Who's the most unexpected fighter you are enjoying?
Tough for me to say since I haven't messed around with the entire cast yet, but I'll go with Lucario; he seems a lot more fun in this version than Brawl to me.

What fighter are you most disappointed with (non-clone)?
I have two answers; one is a veteran while the other is a newcomer.
The veteran is Ike. Maybe I'm so used to how fast and mobile his Project M form is...but damn, they barely changed Ike at all. He's still slow and it feels like his power got nerfed considerably (his FSmash and FAir feel hella nerfed). I still use him here and there, messing around with his customs mostly, but I probably will be sticking with P:M for my Ike fix.

Newcomer is Palutena for reasons already stated. At least she's pretty alright with customs as her default is kinda meeeh.

What's your favorite new stage?
I'm not gonna lie; I really dislike most of the stages in this game (at least in the 3DS version; the Wii U version seems to be a bit better). That said, I'll have to go with Gaur Plains if only because of the godlike music, even though I only pick the FD version of that stage. Lumiose is pretty alright too I guess.

What's your favorite new item?
Probably the Master Ball. Finnaaally can find the cool legendary Pokemon with just one ball.

What's your favorite game mode other than regular Smash?
Classic Mode probably, because I really dig being able to choose your own path and adjusting the difficulty. And Master Core is a really challenging boss too.

Surprisingly though, I really like Smash Run too. It's a pain to go through at times, but overall, it's pretty fun.

How does Smash 4 3DS compare to the other games in the series for you?
I think Smash 4 3DS is a great game. I'm pretty sure this and the Wii U version will be my games of the year.

Custom moves are probably my favorite addition to the franchise, as it gives new and old characters new options now! They're a tad tough to find, but overall, I think customs are really cool and they don't seem to be broken for the most part, so I hope they're allowed in tournies. Not sure how I feel about Equipment though. Some like the Smooth Landing one (basically, automatic L-Cancelling) are really neat, but are soooooo hard to find for whatever reason. Also, some effects are ridiculous...

It feels so much nicer to play than Brawl was, even on the awful 3DS circle pad. I like the general speed increase, there being actual hitstun (though IMO, still not enough), and hey, no tripping! I think the roster is really good, as there's so many cool and different playstyles in the game, and overall, it feels surprisingly pretty balanced.

That said, I really do not care for how good the defensive options are. Shielding is still way too good, with shield stun being almost non-existent. Rolls are really good in this game too, being even harder to punish now. It also doesn't help that kills seem to take forever in this game, with the blastzones being really huge for some reason and stale moves being in full effect. It's obviously still a new game, and I haven't messed around with the ledge mechanics enough to form a strong opinion on them, but so far, it's still an inferior game to Melee or Project M IMO.

I'm not much of a single player guy, so I'm not that bothered by the lack of content for it as much everyone else is, but I can see where they're coming from, and the game does feel a tad too light on content. The Trophy descriptions in this game are godlike though lol.

Also the circle pad is ass, holy shit I did up special not side, game fuccckkk, I didn't mean to SD.

That said, I DO think Smash 4 is a great game, and I'll probably play it a lot for a long time. I love playing as Shulk, Robin, Lucina and Greninja (side B SDs aside...), and I can't wait to keep exploring the game.

Iryx

Rosalina. Having Luma as an extension of yourself makes for a fun playstyle.

Shiek, I love her new Down Special and her playstyle fits me the most out of all the speedy ninja-like characters.

Dedede, I didn't like playing as him in Brawl at all, but I've been enjoying him a lot in this game.

Pikachu, he feels so much weaker than he was in Brawl.

Boxing Ring, I usually don't like stages with no ledges, but this one is an exception for me.

Ore Club, fully charged smashes are so satisfying with it.

Smash Run, but it's kind of by default cause both Classic and All-Star is really boring in this game, and none of the minigames are very interesting.

The single-player portion is decent, and the roster is my favourite by far, but I've had lots of issues with the online with error codes and I don't know anyone locally with a 3DS, so I haven't been able to enjoy the multiplayer modes as much as I'd like.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So now that we've had just about a week to play...

Who's is your favorite newcomer to play as and why? Like you, mine is Pac-Man. I love his special moves and the amount of options he has to mess with people. Even something like getting back on stage gives him a lot of ways to approach, by slowing down attackers via a hydrant drop, or doing side B then a hydrant drop, then an up B in another direction. Runner up is Little Mac as I love how he feels, but I can't play him well on the 3DS.

Whose your favorite veteran to play as and why? Bowser. They did so much to make him fun as hell to play in this one.

Who's the most unexpected fighter you are enjoying? I think the biggest strength of the game is that I like the way pretty much every newcomer operates. Pac would be the obvious one.

What fighter are you most disappointed with (non-clone)? Palutena...her moveset just doesn't feel like it meshes that well to me, even messing with customs I don't care for her at all. That's assuming Ganondorf doesn't count, who is something more like Luigi now. I was so disappointed when I saw he still had this moveset from the old leak videos, I want to play him more than anyone but just hate how he gets treated in Smash.

What's your favorite new stage? Living Room is my favorite omega stage for the dogs in the back, but normal ones I like Rainbow Road, Mute City, and the Animal Crossing one(except when the camera pulls way out).

What's your favorite new item? Bullet Bill, Blue Shell, and Cuccos are great additions that I'm surprised took so long to get in here.

What's your favorite game mode other than regular Smash? I guess All Star mode.

How does Smash 4 3DS compare to the other games in the series for you? I really, really like the way the general game feels. So many characters are interesting to me that I never touched before(bowser, mario, yoshi, etc). But I think for now this is a great game in weak packaging, as I dislike a whole bunch of stuff in the 3DS version. The controls are a big turn off, and many of the stages feel sabotaged by a single decision that just wrecks them. Custom moves are a great idea, but unlocking them is a pain in the ass. I think Smash Run is just...bleh. Online is a lot better than Brawl, but going Omega only is a weird decision as that favors characters. It's too late now, but having half be Battlefield and half be FD would have already been a lot better. Overall it made me more excited for the Wii U version but at the same time feel almost empty inside as it's going to feel so different going into a Smash game where I already know all the characters and played it a bunch. I don't feel that 'excited' for it anymore even if I am looking forward to it.

Kinsei

Banned
Duck Hunt. I love that he has a lot of options available to him both up close and ranged.

I can't believe that I'm saying this, but Ganondorf. I'm not sure what it is, but he feels a lot more fun than he did in Melee and Brawl. I still wish he'd get a new moveset though.

Duck Hunt. When I saw him in the leak, I figured that I'd love the character but hate the moveset. He's now my main, so I was clearly wrong.

Palutena. I love her in KI:U, but her default specials suck, and I don't use customs.

Omega mode Magicant. If that doesn't count then Living Room.

The super leaf. The ears and tail makes everyone look super adorable.

Classic mode. The core gameplay is great, and the new length makes this the best classic mode in the series IMO.

I like it better than Brawl, but not as much as Melee. I'm confident that once the Wii U version comes out and I can use a gamecube controller that Smash 4 will become my favorite in the series.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Also in addition to Ray and Helirin, there was the Custom Robos. and the Action Helirins.

Ryce

Dumb question, but does anyone know what the character outline setting is set to by default? I didn't realize scrolling through the options and backing out of the menu with B would change anything, but I want to use the default setting.

Dumb question, but does anyone know what the character outline setting is set to by default? I didn't realize scrolling through the options and backing out of the menu with B would change anything, but I want to use the default setting.

I'm fairly certain it's set to thick by default.

Tegernako

Banned
Nothing universally agreed upon. The common thing is just to turn off tap jump. It could also help to move either grab or shield to X or Y if constantly pressing the shoulder buttons bothers you.
Mhmm, well that sucks. Thanks for that tip though.

I don't know why.

But I feel like I'm somehow worse when playing as Luigi in this game.

Which is disheartening since he's usually the one I do best with when compared to Mario and Dr. Mario.

I don't know why.

But I feel like I'm somehow worse when playing as Luigi in this game.

Which is disheartening since he's usually the one I do best with when compared to Mario and Dr. Mario.

What mode are you playing? Luigi's pretty awful in For Glory - flat stages do not suit him well - but he's better on stages with more platforms and moving parts.

Not much can be done about his nerfed vertical recovery, however :/ The Quick Missile custom move helps a little, though.

I just fought this one asshole on For Glory who played Ike, got a stock up, then just camped the ledge with aether. I just killed myself and left the room. I'm not playing against those kinds of tactics.

Revven

I just fought this one asshole on For Glory who played Ike, got a stock up, then just camped the ledge with aether. I just killed myself and left the room. I'm not playing against those kinds of tactics.

Er... but you can definitely hit him out of it. He only gets invincibility when grabbing the ledge once, anytime after that you can hit him. And the armor he has on Up B is only at the start, you can hit him out of Up B at the apex of it. It might be hard but that tactic definitely isn't viable and you quitting out is kinda silly. :/

Salsa

Is this the first time an AT franchise got a trophy? Pretty neat!
WNnpYyv.jpg

regardless of the quality of the dillon games I really wish the characters would show up and integrate more with nintendo stuff, the designs are fucking awesome

Nomad_artwork.png

Er... but you can definitely hit him out of it. He only gets invincibility when grabbing the ledge once, anytime after that you can hit him. And the armor he has on Up B is only at the start, you can hit him out of Up B at the apex of it. It might be hard but that tactic definitely isn't viable and you quitting out is kinda silly. :/

There was absolutely no way to hit him. If I ran up and shielded the aether then tried to hit him off the ledge, the shield stun lasted too long and he had already dropped off the ledge. Maybe if I were playing as Sheik or something it would've been possible, but I was playing as Charizard.

Even if it were possible, it's still a cheesy fucking tactic and I refuse to play against somebody who plays like that.

I think that's because Luigi kinda sucks in this game.

;_;

What mode are you playing? Luigi's pretty awful in For Glory - flat stages do not suit him well - but he's better on stages with more platforms and moving parts.

Not much can be done about his nerfed vertical recovery, however :/ The Quick Missile custom move helps a little, though.

Not even confidant enough to use him in For Glory when I'm getting my ass handed to me by lvl7 CPU on Classic with him.

FSLink

Banned
There was absolutely no way to hit him. If I ran up and shielded the aether then tried to hit him off the ledge, the shield stun lasted too long and he had already dropped off the ledge. Maybe if I were playing as Sheik or something it would've been possible, but I was playing as Charizard.

Even if it were possible, it's still a cheesy fucking tactic and I refuse to play against somebody who plays like that.
Sorry you're in the wrong here. There is plenty of options I can think of for Charizard. Forward tilt, Flamethrower at a distance, Well timed Forward Smash, Down B for the armor and trade, etc. It's not a cheesy tactic if you just refuse to figure it out.

NotLiquid

Greninja. He's fast as a motherfucker and is all about the tricks and mindgames. Plus, I need someone to inherit the meteor smash that Toon Link lost between games.

Ness received a pretty significant buff and it made him so much more potent and fun to play as. He reminds me a lot more of SSB64 Ness. Sonic also plays double duties by finally having some KO power with his already great approach options and Jigglypuff has been buffed enough to make her feel like a threat again.

Bowser Jr. I was never a fan of the character but the amount of zoning abilities he has and close quarters options makes him a good rival to Duck Hunt, which is yet another unexpected newcomer I'm liking.

Palutena. A bundle of wasted potential, rolled into one character. Specials, while countless, have no balance or synergy to them, and her normals are janky and circumstantial as hell.

I'm quite partial to the Boxing Ring because of how "basic" of a stage it's layered as. That said I'm very partial to Magicant because it evokes a lot of the nostalgic and wondrous feelings I associate Earthbound with.

Gust Bellows. It is literally the most troll-worthy item to date. Worse than the fan. It's absolutely hilarious and I've had many of sick laughs at pushing Little Macs off the stage.

Believe it or not I'm actually warming up to Smash Run. It's no Kirby Air Ride but it's serviceable, pretty fun with friends as well.

Hard to say, I'm very hot and cold when it comes to most Smash games. I even get bored of Melee frequently. I'd say it's just another great entry though I do feel like it's a bit starved of content, so I look forward for the Wii U version.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I played against several annoying spammy players while attempting to enjoy this game online. It's really frustrating because it's like, these players are so bad, but I can't do anything because it's so damn laggy. And the lag doesn't affect them much because they are just spamming the same thing over and over. Here I'm trying to shield grab and punish but I can't time it right and get punished for missing the grab or something.

Damn you, Mediacom.

Of course, there are times when the lag just works for you. While playing my friend I got the most hilarious reverse Falcon Punch off, entirely because of the lag.

Kouichi

Dark Pit. I'm a huge fan of the character and the series, so I naturally got attached to him. There's also the fact that both Pits play fantastic in this game. Dark Pit's meteor smash and slight increase in power makes him my favorite of the two though.

Falco, always and forever. Even nerfed, I still absolutely adore playing as him. I'm a huge Star Fox fan and Falco has been my number one main since Melee. 70% of my play time has been with him.

Dr.Mario. I enjoyed using him in Melee, but it's been so long that I forgot why I liked playing as him. I never liked Mario's play style and always preferred Luigi, so I wasn't expecting to love Dr.Mario all over again.

Hmm hard to say. All the characters feel so damn good in this game. Guess I'll go with Bowser Jr. I thought I'd have a blast playing as him, but his play style doesn't suit me.

3D Land. The music, the art style, the variety, the color, the fun, I love this stage!

Cucco. I love how you have to make a conscious effort to avoid them. And if you don't, then it's just chaos.

Smash Run. Running around a world filled with various Nintendo enemies as my favorite Nintendo characters is one of the those amazing things that only Smash provides. I'm also a huge fan of City Trial from Air Ride, so I adore this mode.

The more I play it, the more I start to feel that it is my favorite in the series thus far. I know that once the Wii U version releases, then I will have no doubts calling it my absolute favorite Smash Bros.

Top Bottom