• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Moonlight

Banned
So now that we've had just about a week to play...

Who's is your favorite newcomer to play as and why?
Robin. Robin, Robin, Robin. I was a little afraid when I first tried them that I wouldn't be able to enjoy their play-style as much as I anticipated, but I spent a while in the lab figuring stuff out (like the Arcfire->Levin F-air follow-up) and yep, just as satisfying and rewarding to play as I'd hoped. I don't think there's anything more satisfying for me, personally, than hitting someone with the Levin Sword's b-air. Except maybe the u-air. Connecting it, with the magic sparks and everything else, man, it's beautiful. The versatile, powerful, and fast projectiles (Robin has four different projectiles of incredibly different properties and applications on just their neutral B!) and the great zone control, along with the tome/weapon use management a. As befitting of a tactician, Robin has an answer to almost every problem - edgeguarding, pressure, even percent leads - and using those tools as efficiently and intelligently as you can. My ideal character in almost every respect.

If Robin isn't in SSB5 because of some arbitrary ruling, I'm gonna be depressed as fuck. Ike's continued presence makes me pretty sure that Robin ain't going anywhere, though.

Whose your favorite veteran to play as and why?
I haven't been spending too much time with the veterans (too much fun with the newcomers!), but I'd say that Jigglypuff is definitely my favourite character so far. Rest finally approaching an nth of its' Melee glory (and gaining new applications as well) was already almost enough for me, but everything about Jiggs feels so much better in this game, relative to Brawl, and in a lot of ways, relative to Melee. Her aerial game is still almost entirely intact (although b-air being a kill move tripped me out :lol), and all of her moves are satisfying to land, and combo into. Rest punishes have never been better.

The most important part, is that her hat-game has never been better. The lack of exercise headband is the only glaring omission, but the Nurse Joy hat is quite possibly the greatest hat Jigglypuff has ever had ever. It's like 30% of the reason why I'm picking Jiggs in the first place.

Who's the most unexpected fighter you are enjoying?
Hmm. Thing is, I haven't spent a lot of time with the characters I didn't expect I'd enjoy. I actually haven't even played as Bowser Jr yet. I think I'll go ahead and say Ness, from what limited experience I've had with him.

What fighter are you most disappointed with (non-clone)?
To preface this, uh, I really like Palutena. Both in KI:U itself, and by and large I think she's a pretty satisfying character to use in Smash 4, as well (with the right set-up). But she could have been a lot more, and there's a lot of limitations she has as a character that you've got to work around. Laggy, unsatisfying, easily shielded tilts, unfocused playstyle (Palutena's normals can feel very strange with a different custom set-up, and really makes you feel the complete lack of synergy between her specials and normals), and while it's true that all the Powers in KI:U are things that Palutena (or
Viridi
) is doing for you, I do wish that her specials or moves that addressed more specifically her personality, or the feats she'd shown off in KI:U itself.

She would have been far better if her design felt way more focused than it is. Palutena feels like a jigsaw puzzle with all of the pieces, but none of them quite fit.

The runner-up is Little Mac, but that's more my fault than his. I can't adjust to his play-style at all. His crappy aerials kill him for me, and I don't really like the really bipolar game you have to play with him, in being incredibly patient in neutral and going at it like a fucking madman at up-close. I also don't think he's that fun to fight, either, but I'd expect Little Mac mirrors to be pretty enjoyable.

What's your favorite new stage?
I hate like 80% of all the stages in the game, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I like Reset Bomb Forest a lot, though. The initial stage is awesome (even if the audio balancing is so bad that Viridi sounds really tinny and almost grainy for a big divine avatar in the background), and the Reset Bomb Forest itself has a pretty interesting platform set-up. It's got reasonably unobtrusive hazards (the Lurchthorn isn't really that bad if you aren't around it), and it lingers in each transformation for a fairly respectable amount of time. It's not like Arena Ferox which feels kind of ADD in how it swaps around.

(Arena Ferox is alright, though)

Least favourite is probably Wily's Castle, or N's Castle. Fuuuuck thoooose.

What's your favorite new item?
Cuccos. I think Cuccos are really fun to use, and they're based on a pretty great concept. Definitely the most inspired item in the game. They just feel more fun, and feel more satisfying to use (and the risk of backfiring is always neat).

Master Balls are cool, too.

What's your favorite game mode other than regular Smash?
Mrrrrrgh. I guess All-Stars? It's really satisfying to beat it. There's just not even modes in the game to even particularly talk about stand-outs or anything. Smash Run is pretty dull, and Classic is decently entertaining, but not great. Challenging yourself to see how far you can get in All Stars without giving into using a healing item is fun.

How does Smash 4 3DS compare to the other games in the series for you?
Melee is and probably always will be mechanically superior, but Smash 4 at the very least feels a lot more satisfying to play and learn than Brawl ever did, and the newcomers by and large have some of the most interesting ideas seen in a Smash game yet. But honestly, I don't really mind, since ultimately it's characters that drive my interest in these games, and Melee is exceptionally limited in this regard. It's why I flat-out prefer Project M to Melee, and it's definitely why I'm going to play Smash 4 over it, too. I can't play Robin in Melee, and I definitely can't play Palutena. So, yeah, Smash 4 has by far the best roster for me, which is the most important part.

But standard 1v1 matches aside (the way I generally prefer to play), not terribly impressed with a lot of the content. I hate/am apathetic to most of the stages, and stage bosses are the worst thing that's ever been inflicted on a stage ever. Fuck stage bosses so hard. It's emblematic of the principle issue I have with stages in the game, in that they're way too fucking obtrusive. I think stage hazards should make fighting your opponent more complicated, or make you think about how to approach something differently. But above all, they should be passive and they shouldn't actively impair and interrupt you. You should never feel like the stage is your enemy, and not your actual opponents. Too much shit in Smash 4 does that and it frustrates me a lot. And items balance is completely fucked in this game; a lot of the new ones just don't feel that satisfying to use and there's an over-abundance of really high reward/low risk items and there's basically no controls over what spawns when, it feels like. They call it For Fun, but man, it completely stresses me out when all items are enabled.

I think, even in the context of items play in general, 4 doesn't really compare favourably to the previous games in the series. There was a certain element of risk and reward. Smash always had powerful items, but you can see the dichotomy in this game especially. The sledgehammer was strong, but it slowed you down and you couldn't recover while you were holding it. Homerun Bat had some start-up for the kill, so you had to trick people into it or catch them off-guard. Now, there's a lot of items that no one can do anything about and don't even present that much of a risk to the person using it, and the general insanity of everything with items feels like it completely overshadows the characters themselves.

As an overall package, I feel like Smash 3DS compares favourably only to like... 64. There's pretty much nothing to do from an SP standpoint and Smash Run is kind of boring (and the single minute finales are an incredible anticlimax). I didn't think I'd miss the absence of Event Mode matches and Special options as much as I do, but there's really not that much to mix-up SP. The only thing I feel like I can do on the bus are yet more Classic runs, a go at All-Star, and a lot of time in Practice mode trying different stuff. Trophies have never been better, though.

But now that I've got all that off my chest...

Still probably going to be my most played Smash.

Who's is your favorite newcomer to play as and why? Villager. His moveset is topnotch from a loyalty-to-source-material perspective, and they just plain feel good. His tilts are fantastic, having projectile aerials is a blessing, and Timber is a really innovative move. There's nothing more satisfying than nailing someone with the tree for a KO.

Whose your favorite veteran to play as and why? Luigi, my main. I love how his Cyclone and dash attack now trap people until the last hit, unlike in Brawl, where he would often sail right through people, catching them with only one of the hits. The only problem I have with him is the decreased vertical distance on his Super Jump Punch. Recovery is, inexplicably, a real problem for Luigi this time around. I mean, of all the characters who could have nerfed recoveries, why Luigi? His recovery was hardly OP in Brawl.

Who's the most unexpected fighter you are enjoying? Shulk. I didn't even know who he was until Smash, but I really like his long, sweeping attacks. The Monado Arts are cool, too.

What fighter are you most disappointed with (non-clone)? Robin. Next to Villager, he's the newcomer I was looking forward to the most, but I find him kind of...meh. He's okay, and I play him fairly frequently, but I don't like how slow he is on the ground or the weird trajectory of Arcfire. He just doesn't feel right to me.

What's your favorite new stage? Prism Tower. I adore traveling stages - Delfino Plaza was my favorite stage in Brawl - and this one is just so pretty. The Lumiose City music is great on it.

What's your favorite new item? Blue Shell. After getting hit by so many goddamn Blue Shells in Mario Kart, it feels good to be the guy throwing them for once.

What's your favorite game mode other than regular Smash? Smash Run is a lot of fun. I just wish you could adjust the times of the Run and the event afterwards. 1 minute isn't enough time for a match - it makes it feel like the stat bonuses you collected have gone to waste.

How does Smash 4 3DS compare to the other games in the series for you? I've noticed that item-less combat is a lot more fun for me than it was in Brawl. I never really played without items before, but here, that kind of combat just feels better. However, the reverse is also true: playing with items doesn't feel as good here as it does in Brawl. I don't know if it's the game speed or what, but swinging and chucking items around just isn't as fun in Smash 4. It's an interesting tradeoff, because now I know this game won't render Brawl obsolete for me; I'll probably be going back to it when I want some good old item combat.

The biggest disappointment is the stage selection: there are too few, and too many of the retro stages are mediocre (Mushroomy Kingdom, Flat Zone 2, Brinstar.) I'd much rather have Onett and Green Greens back.

But the roster is excellent, online is actually functional, Smash Run is cool, and the game just plain feels good. I'm very happy with it thus far.

Beats

Wii Fit Trainer. She has a sort of projectile/keepaway game that doesn't really exist in other versions. The way her normal moves work are really interesting too since some of them have significantly different properties depending where you hit with them. She's just a lot of fun to use.

Luigi. I never really played him all that much in previous versions, but when I was trying out most of the cast I really liked Luigi. He has an insane horizontal recovery with one of this custom moves and I really enjoy landing the critical hit with his Fiery Jump Punch. His fireballs also have no landing lag so you could toss one in the air then another on the ground. I just like his moveset all around.

Luigi for the reasons above.

Samus. Her Nair just seems worse than the one in previous versions. Missiles have tons of endlag on them, but they aren't even powerful at all. I just don't really like the way she plays this time around. She feels kinda clunky. I like her new alt colors though.

Gaur Plains. Looks nice and has lots of layers to it visually. I also really like Xenoblade's music, so that gives it some more points.

Gust Bellows. It's cheap as hell lol. I do get salty when I get KO'd by it though.

Classic mode I suppose. That's probably my most played mode other than regular Smash. I've been having fun finding efficient ways to clear the different types of stages using different equipment combinations or tactics.

I like it a lot more than Brawl when it comes to the battle mechanics and the feel of the game, but less than 64 and Melee. I just don't really like how good shielding is. It kinda makes aerials not a viable option when approaching someone on the ground and a lot of stuff is just unsafe upclose now for most characters. Also it's awkward when the characters run then jump they travel the same distance if they were to just stand and jump left or right. It's really noticeable with the very fast characters like Captain Falcon and Sonic. I like the speed of the new rolls though.

I really love the idea of custom moves, but getting them here feels like a chore. Collecting stuff just feels even worse in this iteration than any other. I think I wouldn't mind getting custom moves if duplicates weren't a thing and what's the point of getting more than one of the same trophy or Mii parts? I'm also not really a fan of Target Blast either. It's just not as interesting as Break the Targets in Melee and 64. Even the one in Brawl was more fun. Master Core is a cool boss though and Smash Run is alright. The lack of an event mode and special battle bums me out though.

The roster is bigger which is great and some of the newcomers have interesting mechanics/moves that don't really exist in previous versions. I still don't like unlockable characters in a fighting game though. Thankfully they made it way easier compared to Brawl to get everyone, but it's still just a big waste of time for me. I don't think there are not enough normal stages with platforms though. I mean there's Battlefield and Yoshi's Island and maybe one or two others and that's it.

The online is very good compared to Brawl, but when it comes to modes and options it's only a small step up. I expected a bigger jump when it comes to that stuff. It's still really far behind when it comes to other fighting games.

Visually I think the color palette is much much better this time around. The characters pop and I find the more vibrant tone more fitting compared to how everything was visually in Brawl. The way attacks look like they're cutting through the air is really cool too and I love the sound design this time around. The hits feel impactful and that red lightning when landing a big blow is a nice visual touch.

Despite my gripes, I'm having a lot of fun with it and I'm looking forward to the Wii U version.

Molemitts

This is interesting.

Who's is your favorite newcomer to play as and why? Bowser Jr. He's my boy.

Zero Suit Samus. I play her in For Glory, mostly.

Bowser. I never even thought about playing him, but he's actually very fun to play as.

What fighter are you most disappointed with (non-clone)? I can't really think of anyone, but I'm not as good with Duck Hunt Duo as I would like.

What's your favorite new stage? Magicant. It's so pretty.

What's your favorite new item? Special Flag.

Idk. Training I guess.

How does Smash 4 3DS compare to the other games in the series for you? I've only actually played Brawl before, but not extensivly. I think I'll end up playing it more than I played Brawl.

Is this the first time an AT franchise got a trophy? Pretty neat!
WNnpYyv.jpg

braves01

Banned
I would be if coins meant fucking anything.

I kind of hate how many trophies I have just from buying them at the shop, and I still have so many damn coins.

Yeah, It'd be cool if you could use them for something else. Even gold/betting leaderboards would be nice (unless they're there already and I missed them somehow).

Myn

I would be if coins meant fucking anything.

I kind of hate how many trophies I have just from buying them at the shop, and I still have so many damn coins.

Try trophy rush then, it's a good way to get like 20+ trophies and a couple customization items in several minutes for 900g.

Who's is your favorite newcomer to play as and why? Dark Pit. He's the only character I've racked up consistent wins with online!

Whose your favorite veteran to play as and why? Doctor Death, baby. Glad he's back.

Who's the most unexpected fighter you are enjoying? I don't know yet. It'd be a cop-out to say Dark Pit, but I did not expect to like playing with him, as I did not care for Pit in Brawl.

What fighter are you most disappointed with (non-clone)? Robin. I just haven't figured 'em out yet, though. I'll get there.

What's your favorite new stage? I like the Pokemon stage that has a platform that flies around and transforms like Isla Delfino in Brawl. I also really like Arena Feroux. It reminds me of the Pokemon Stadium levels, and I really loved those.

What's your favorite new item? The Galaga monster. Just because I love Galaga so much. On the subject of items, I'm really glad you can punch assist trophy characters in the face this time.

What's your favorite game mode other than regular Smash? I really enjoy both Smash Run and Classic. I don't know if the game is set up for it, but I'd love to have more Smash Run maps.

How does Smash 4 3DS compare to the other games in the series for you? Easily my favorite game yet. I'm a filthy casual. The more / bigger / louder / wackier / more distracting, the more fun for me. This game has it all.

Neiteio

Who is your favorite newcomer to play as and why? Bowser Jr.! I have difficulty winning with him, but I always have fun trying. Spinning out in the go-kart, ejecting and trying to hammer people mid-fall, cannonball/mechakoopa mix-ups, that super-satisfying f-smash with the drills... SO GOOD. I just wish I could hop closer to the ground with him, and that his wrecking ball attacks had more range. You have to be right next to someone to hit them with many of his tilts and aerials. At any rate, he's so adorable and endlessly photogenic -- everytime I pause the game, I d'aww at his pose. Same goes for his alts, which are all of the Koopalings! Sakurai did amazing work here.

Whose your favorite veteran to play as and why? Zero Suit Samus, by far. She's my main at the moment. She's BEASTLY. Incredibly fast, opening up crazy combos with her dash attack into fair, spacing with her whip (doubles as a tether recovery and extended grab), interrupting with her Paralyzer, and confusing/burying/kicking with the Flip Jump. Her up-tilt can stop the Bowser Bomb, and her shots and kicks can parry Gordos. And her Boost Kick, while hard to pull off, is the best way to KO someone -- up to eight hits followed by a sideways-launching KO, if you aim it right, and the camera zooms in, which makes it look cooler! She also has an amazing dair that hits like a truck with a meteor effect and is otherwise a quick way to get back to the ground.

Who's the most unexpected fighter you are enjoying? Zero Suit Samus. If I had known how much fun I'd be having with her, I would've been a lot more hyped when they revealed her in April!

What fighter are you most disappointed with (non-clone)? Palutena, sadly. I'm glad she's in the game, and I'm sure there's a way to be good with her, but she's just totally not my speed. Her normals come out so sloooooowly. Very punishable character. I actually like her default specials, though. Auto-Reticle is a lot of fun, Warp is reliable recovery, Reflect is great for zoning spammers (and Mega Man's f-smash, lol), and Counter is a good option for every character that has it.

What's your favorite new stage? Arena Ferox. It's the best Pokemon Stadium-style stage to date, IMO. The layouts seem much more elaborate, and they just look cool with the chain-suspended platforms (that can carry you off the top of the screen!), and the clockwork Ferris wheel, and the walls of sharpened logs with braziers burning bright. Great atmosphere, bolstered by the undulating crowd and the wonderful music that is "Id (Purpose)."

What's your favorite new item? The Steel Diver! I'm a Steel Diver fan (I like both installments), and this weapon is a blast to use. I like seeing the bullets linger in the air for a moment before bubbling off at light-speed, haha.

What's your favorite game mode other than regular Smash? Smash Run! I'm surprised some people are disappointed in it. It's so much fun! So much variety, such a huge map, crazy attention to detail (enemy attributes, moves, etc), and you can find so many custom drops this way. Also, the way your character changes between the start and the end is super-dramatic — I start out barely able to jump to low-lying platforms, but by five minutes' end I'm clearing three-story houses with a single leap, lol. Then you have a short-but-sweet event at the end as the cherry on top. Just a great mode to pick up and play in short spurts. :)

How does Smash 4 3DS compare to the other games in the series for you? My favorite Smash to date, full-stop. The game is so well-balanced this time around, the roster is so diverse, and the speed and feedback from moves is swift and punchy.

Air game rarely can save a character over all though.
Especially when your opponent isn't bothering to go up there.
Not if you can space with your aerials and air mobility see: Jigglypuff and Wario
Admittedly, Palutena doesn't have that luxury because of the really weird hitboxes on her aerials.

emb

Not if you can space with your aerials and air mobility see: Jigglypuff and Wario
Admittedly, Palutena doesn't have that luxury because of the really weird hitboxes on her aerials.
What is it about her air game that makes it good?

I haven't used her much, but from when I tried her out, it seemed like her kicks were weak and her staff attacks were slow. Clearly I'm missing the point here somewhere though.

What is it about her air game that makes it good?

I haven't used her much, but from when I tried her out, it seemed like her kicks were weak and her staff attacks were slow. Clearly I'm missing the point here somewhere though.
It's mostly that she's pretty mobile in the air and her aerials are really fast and safe. If it's an air battle she gets the advantage (especially because of NAir, it's really good and stops mostly anything), and UAir can kill. FAir is really weird though.

That's just from quick observations though from using her. I don't think she's very good, but if there's one thing about her that I'd say she excels at, it's in the air.

I was so hoping it would start to use the data of how many dupe trophies you've got in silly ways. Things like giving them a silver or gold base rather than the bronze they start out as (so I wouldn't feel so sad if I got one many time as it now has a shiny base). Maybe in Smash 6.

Ooh that's a good idea!
Damn now I'm even more annoyed that they didn't do that haha

Greninja. He fits my kind of play style quite well compared to others, especially since he is agile.

Falco. I never really played as him before, but I do pretty well with him in some matches. Just like Greninja, his attacks fit my play style.
Sorry Luigi, you just feel like you have been nerfed badly.

Pac-Man. He was close to being my most favorite. His moveset alone makes him such a fun character to play as compared to Mega Man or Sonic.

Palutena. Her moveset can be either obnoxious (I still can't forget the Villager vs. Palutena tournament match where the time actually timed out thanks to reflector and autoreticle spamming) or lame. Did she really need a counter as one of her specials?

It would be Pac-Maze, but the Boxing Ring is much more fun. I would play that stage with anyone online if it weren't for the stage lights crashing down as a hazard.

Getting all of the Daybreak Parts and getting someone caught in the blast is always satisfying.

Smash Run. It has its flaws (I wish that I could just do the Run final battle all of the time, some characters are just not good for it, can't change time, etc.), but it is still a blast to me. Wish they could update it so you can change its settings.

This game really made me try and experiment with most of the new and changed characters and also go for all collectibles and trophies, which didn't really happen when I played Brawl and Melee. It feels more engaging than the other entries, but it really suffers from content which was packed in Brawl. Though that was to be expected of the 3DS version, so the Wii U version should deliver. Not sure how engaged I will be in this version once the Wii U version is out, but I do know that I'm having a great time like when I play Melee.

ec0ec0

I was reading the rumor... but i needed a break after the "Isaac" part. I may cry if he is revealed :,O

Only banjo-kazooie is over Isaac. Because banjo- kazooie is over everyone and everything.

Neiteio

I was reading the rumor... but i needed a break after the "Isaac" part. I may cry if he is revealed :,O

Only banjo-kazooie is over Isaac. Because banjo- kazooie is over everyone and everything.
I'd be OK if Nintendo bought back B-K and more or less used them just for Smash.

Kind of like how they treat Captain Falcon and F-Zero

Man, Palutena seems like everyone's answer for "most disappointing character." I guess the fact that I was never really interested in Palutena saved her from being my choice. Three cheers for low expectations!

Neiteio

Man, Palutena seems like everyone's answer for "most disappointing character." I guess the fact that I was never really interested in Palutena saved her from being my choice. Three cheers for low expectations!
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy she's in the game. I just can't figure out how to play her. I do like going into Spectate and watching the occasional good game with her, though.

WHAT RUMOR!!!

I WANT ISAAC!!!!!!!!

Edit: Found it. Sounds fake. I'll scream if it ever happens though.

Timeaisis

Watch, in a couple of months when the tournament scene happens people are going to be unlocking her true potential and placing her top tier. :p
I wish.

I finally finished this piece and figured you guys would enjoy. This took me forever....
And enjoy I will, very nice!
Its fun picking up on the small details in pieces like this.

I'm not quite sure whether I'm forcing myself to play as her or not but Palutena has easily racked up the most playtime of the new batch.
Playing heavy characters a lot Palutena's hard hitting smashes with the cost of some rather laggy moves are like the usual for me so I quickly adapted to using her standard attacks, visually I love how they look be it the angelic power moves complete with pushback effects or the small twirls of her staff.
It's a damn shame that for most online modes you're lumped with he default special moveset, I much prefer throwing in all her more literally explosive moves in the customisations and enjoy the variety you can pick from so being as this is kind of her big gimmick it seems stifling to be stuck with the bog standard set for some modes, its versatile enough but ultimately too plain and requires me to play differently to how I'd like.
Still I wouldn't keep returning to Palutena if I didn't enjoy her on the whole, sometimes its fun to play it slow.
I can absolutely see why people are disappointed though, my devotion to the Goddess blinds me.

I continue to stick with my Brawl mains of DK and Ike, I've had a tad bit of trouble readjusting to DK in this entry coming off Brawl but I think I'm getting back into the swing of things, love the addition of the roll and the shield breaking headbutt, dislike how the pitfall effect of the headbutt is far less effective now and something about his down air has changed for the worse, I get more meteors off the forward air axe handle these days. Even so DK still carries that simple and effective moveset of simply knocking the hell out of your opponent and having some deceptive range on those limbs.
Ike doesn't feel like he's changed much at all but on the whole he feels a bit better possibly just due to changes in the gameplay at its core, Radiant Dawn design and blue fire for Eruption are changes that please me on the visual side of things, he still packs a mighty satisfying wallop with Ragnell and that serves me just fine.

Dark Pit and I suppose Pit as well seeing how similar the two are. In Brawl I couldn't stomach playing as Pit, not my cup of tea at all. Now with a few tweaks to the moveset including a much desired high knockback power move with the Side B arms I'm using Pit and his dark doppelgänger more than I'd have expected to.
Also Mega Man to a degree, I was sold instantly when playing the demo, until that point I didn't have much interst but I really dig his unique style of play that manages to feel very Mega Man like, the heavy mix of projectiles and surprisingly effective melee attacks is one that has gone down well with me.

I feel as if I should enjoy Bowser Jr more than I do, I love the clown car concept, he has a fun variety of moves, the car itself is a treat to watch in motion yet i'm just not fully on board.
Its the kind of character where I find myself falling short of finishing the job too often, like just a little bit more knockback on some moves would go a long way for me, I still like playing as him to a degree but I was hoping for a bit more.
Oh and Little Mac is just too limited for my liking, though I may just be using him very little because of how much use he's getting in general, old hipster Owl right here.

Unova Pokemon League, I'm a fan of Black/White so its great seeing its endgame represented from the Unova legends to N's Castle bursting out the ground. Reshiram and Zekrom have stage hazard effects that are telegraphed quite well in advance so they don't prove troublesome (aside from maybe when Reshiram sets fire to the centre stage as opposed to the sides) which leaves the stage having a nice blend of simple and effective layout with stage hazards that don't dominate the field.
Also that N's Castle Medley with the B/W credits on the end? glorious.

Bullet Bill, it's just too fun to send yourself hurtling off with such killing potential.
Slightly related I'm happy to see Dillon and Dark Samus as assist trophies.

Smash Run, sure its flawed as hell, I can think of numerous ways to improve it without even much tweaking of the mode itself but i'm only a few characters away from beating a round of Smash Run with each character and have enjoyed slowly powering up as various characters to the point you can wall jump with speed through the maze on the hunt for the precious customisations.

The gameplay as its core may very well be my favourite yet hitting a point somewhere between Brawl and Melee that suits me just fine, unfortunately a poor stage selection, limited modes and the nature of the 3DS itself make it fall behind both Brawl and Melee for me in a sense yet I think the Wii U version will likely take the crown when it drops shortly.
I will say one thing that this game does lack for me is a newcomer that really brings me hype, Palutena and Mac were part of my top 5 wants but simply put Dixie Kong/K.Rool or Ridley would have my fuelled my excitement to burn with the fury of a thousand suns.
Speaking of which this games DK content sucks non expanded dong.

Dr. Buni

She definitely is my answer for the most disappointing character. Such an awful default moveset (aka the one moveset that actually matters). Plus... some other stuff... makes her portrayal in Smash not what I was hoping for.

On other hand, I never ever expected Bowser Jr. to be in Smash and now he is my favorite newcomer in the game, bar none.

Beats

Fun thing to do with Toon Link. He has a bomb custom move that has a fairly large explosion with a very, very short detonation time. So you can pull out the bomb and airdodge/shield near your opponents without getting hit by the explosion. There's also a lingering smokescreen effect caused by the explosion to throw off your opponent.

Also, not sure if this was in Brawl but his Nair/D-tilt will trip opponents at low-mid percents.

weekev

Banned
Intensity 9 with Rosalina destroyed maater core, was killing the stupid ball thing, up smashed by mistake when facing the wrong way...game over.

I'm cool with her being in the game, but the way she attacks doesn't quite click with me. Otherwise, Bowser Jr. probably would have taken the spot since I was interested in him.

Crayolan

Just gonna preface this by saying I've had significantly less playtime than most other people in here since I don't actually own the game, so my opinions on characters are likely to change. My roommate is getting it tonight though so my playtime should shoot up quickly.

Who's is your favorite newcomer to play as and why? Little Mac, the hypest fucking character ever. Playing with him is so much fun it's crazy. Like, you do not understand the meaning of satisfying until you have 2 Little Macs box in an opponent and KO punch him at the same time. I'm going to destroy my friends with him and love every second of it. I've never played a Punch-Out game before, but Little Mac being as amazing as he is has convinced me that I need to fix this as soon as possible.

Whose your favorite veteran to play as and why? Toon Link was mah boi in Brawl and Project M, and it looks like he's going to continue being that in Smash 4.

Who's the most unexpected fighter you are enjoying? Lucina. This comparison may make no sense, but tbh she feels like a Toon Link-lite, who sacrifices projectiles for slightly longer range. And this is coming from someone who has never been able to use Marth in any capacity (though I did like Roy in Melee...for some reason).

What fighter are you most disappointed with (non-clone)? Rosalina. Ever since I saw how awesome Bowser Jr. is I've been a bit sour about her inclusion. It's a silly reason, but I feel like her inclusion is unnecessary and kind of wish she just wasn't chosen from the beginning. I also don't like playing against her. No, this doesn't mean I'm hoping she gets cut from Smash 5/6.

What's your favorite new stage? Reset Bomb Forest. I like the platform layout and the hazards are hardly obtrusive. Plus the Wrath of the Reset Bomb remix is awesome.

What's your favorite new item? Not really sure, I haven't used items very extensively this time around. I guess the Blue Shell is cool.

What's your favorite game mode other than regular Smash? Classic Mode. It's in the best form it's ever been in IMO, and I really hope they don't extend it beyond 6 stages (except for possible bonuses stage, like target smash, collect the trophies, etc.) in the Wii U version.

How does Smash 4 3DS compare to the other games in the series for you? I think it's too early to judge this for me. Content-wise it's pretty light and stage-wise it's largely disappointing. Character selection is excellent though, and there are so many unique new playstyles that I'm having trouble choosing just a few to play.

emb

Is there a recommended control scheme for the 3ds yet?
Nothing universally agreed upon. The common thing is just to turn off tap jump. It could also help to move either grab or shield to X or Y if constantly pressing the shoulder buttons bothers you.

Top Bottom