• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Doc's customs are so good.

Soaring Tornado is great. It's his best vertical recovery move, and he can act out of it. Plus the windbox on the last hit is extremely strong.

That means you can use his Ol' One-Two up special as a KO move since you have the Tornado as his means of recovery. It can KO at under 100% from the ground, and even less in the air. (Oh god, you can combo down throw->up special at >90% to KO from the ground)

His breezy sheet is also a great gimp option. If you can hit an opponent with the cape off the edge they will fly out pretty far.

Not really sure about any of his pill options. Fast one is okay, almost like a blaster, but the default is probably the best.

JeTmAn81

To you, it just requires some simple thinking. Just like in basketball it requires some thinking for Michael Jordan to drive to the basket past Hakeem Olajuwon.

Picking up these patterns and being able to react to them and plan counters to them all in fractions of a second is much more than simply thinking.

Its hard to have fun when you keep losing to almost everyone you play that hasn't just picked up the game two seconds ago.

I think most people aren't reacting in a split second, they're making a guess at what the opponent is going to do and preparing accordingly. This is the kind of thing you can't do until you've played enough to start getting a sense of your opponent's strategy based on their actions. Don't worry, I'm really bad too (12% win rate).

Moonlight

Banned
The Ike vs Robin match-up mindfucks me hard. I fought one on For Glory just now and had no idea what to do. And just when I felt like I was figuring him out, he left. orz

Ike mains, call me!

Neiteio

So I spent a lot of night experimenting with this gorgeous stud-muffin of a man:

main.png

They've really revamped his animations, haven't they? He moves so fluidly now. He's more effortless to play than ever. I had a huge grin playing as him. :-D

I also watched some pro Wario matches in Spectate. Really opened my eyes to his potential, like the one player who'd relentlessly launch off his bike at every opportunity.

I think when I hit up Training in the WiiU version to show my friends how to play Smash, I'll use Wario as the demonstration character, since all of his moves make an impression, haha.

Neiteio

Were you watching me? :p
No idea! But it was like elegant ballet (with motorbikes). Wario would zip forward on the bike, for all of a split-second, then short-hop off it, drilling into his foe from above while the bike ate their shield from the front.

It happened constantly, mixed in with other moves like the jabs and claps, and it really kept the other player on their toes. I swear that Wario spent more time in the air than on the ground, haha.

No idea! But it was like elegant ballet (with motorbikes). Wario would zip forward on the bike, for all of a split-second, then short-hop off it, drilling into his foe from above while the bike at their shield from the front. It happened constantly, mixed in with other moves like the jabs and claps, and it really kept the other player on their toes. I swear that Wario spent more time in the air than on the ground, haha.
That's because Wario is pretty much an aerial character. He's just incredibly fast in the air.

Yeah, bike can be really amazing for shield pressure. I love that it's a viable approach and spacing move now.

Neiteio

That's because Wario is pretty much an aerial character. He's just incredibly fast in the air.

Yeah, bike can be really amazing for shield pressure. I love that it's a viable approach and spacing move now.
See, this is all new to me, since I never followed competitive Smash (although I generally only played 1v1 no items, etc). I never really realized what Wario could do. I always liked him as a character and would have fun goofing around with him, but wow, he's legit, haha. :)

I think most people aren't reacting in a split second, they're making a guess at what the opponent is going to do and preparing accordingly. This is the kind of thing you can't do until you've played enough to start getting a sense of your opponent's strategy based on their actions. Don't worry, I'm really bad too (12% win rate).

Well I guess its going to take forever for me to be able to predict people's actions, cause I've already played this game for over 50 hours (And that's not counting the demo). I don't even think its worth the stress and time, I'll just stick with for fun. I don't think I've ever enjoyed anything competitive actually, not just in video games. Its all just so stressful and you never get enough payoff to justify all the hours of constantly losing and losing and losing and feeling like crap.

See, this is all new to me, since I never followed competitive Smash (although I generally only played 1v1 no items, etc). I never really realized what Wario could do. I always liked him as a character and would have fun goofing around with him, but wow, he's legit, haha. :)
Well if you need tips or info about Wario, I'm open to help! He's been my main since Brawl haha.

I mean, there really isn't any character more fun than him. ;)

JeTmAn81

Well I guess its going to take forever for me to be able to predict people's actions, cause I've already played this game for over 50 hours (And that's not counting the demo). I don't even think its worth the stress and time, I'll just stick with for fun. I don't think I've ever enjoyed anything competitive actually, not just in video games. Its all just so stressful and you never get enough payoff to justify all the hours of constantly losing and losing and losing and feeling like crap.

Unfortunately, 50 hours isn't enough when it comes to fighting games I've put several hundred hours into fighting games in the last three years and I'm still a mediocre player.

The key is to find people on your own level to play, always try to improve bit by bit and have fun. You wont have fun if you are always expecting to win. If you're doing it right you can even have fun when losing because it was a learning opportunity.

Unfortunately, 50 hours isn't enough when it comes to fighting games I've put several hundred hours into fighting games in the last three years and I'm still a mediocre player.

The key is to find people on your own level to play, always try to improve bit by bit and have fun. You wont have fun if you are always expecting to win. If you're doing it right you can even have fun when losing because it was a learning opportunity.

Yeah, problem is the vast majority of people online are really experienced and above my level so its hard to find people like that. I know the learning opportunity stuff, its just easy to forget it when its always a learning opportunity and never anything else, if you catch my drift.

Tan

Greninja's up b is so messed up. Why is it so specific!? diagonal up left is interpreted as side b for whatever reason

Top Bottom