• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Mupod

Bought this for something to play while visiting relatives over the thanksgiving weekend and finally got some time in. Haven't played Smash since melee.

I was always a Pikachu player before but holy shit Bowser is fun now. My favorite thing is his command grab, my 3DS is all kinds of messed up so I can't use my L button reliably, but his side B is a nice workaround.

A bit disappointed in Shulk since he seems kinda boring. I'm sure I'm just using him wrong though

Bought this for something to play while visiting relatives over the thanksgiving weekend and finally got some time in. Haven't played Smash since melee.

I was always a Pikachu player before but holy shit Bowser is fun now. My favorite thing is his command grab, my 3DS is all kinds of messed up so I can't use my L button reliably, but his side B is a nice workaround.

A bit disappointed in Shulk since he seems kinda boring. I'm sure I'm just using him wrong though
I'm not a Shulk user, but he's definitely the type of character you have to go to training with and really get to know. His neutral-b is pretty integral to his gameplay.

WarAdept

Shulk is a difficult character. You basically have to not only keep watch on the enemy percentage to decide which is the best Monado Art, but also keep in mind on who you're facing as well.

Standard Buster Art Up Grab to Utilt spam doesn't work on half the cast or only works at certain middle percentages for others. Speed is needed to grab some of the faster cast but you're going to have to seriously work for your damage because it reduces it. Buster is super dangerous against someone with guaranteed combos/high damage smashes. Spacing with Nair is absolutely essential because every single one of his attacks his slow. His counter is even the slowest in the game so you need to read everything in advance.

Just like his character. I CAN SEE THE FUTURE.

Crayolan

The fun in Shulk is in taking advantage of your stance changes to force your opponents to have to constantly adapt and to give yourself the edge up in certain situations. The problem is, you gotta be willing to put in the work to learn when and how to take advantage of all the different stances.

PKGaming

Banned
jwCCFlX.png

Man, have to say, All-Star Mode 2007-2013 is basically all this except Greninja and WFT.

Jeez, Dedede. Didn't know you were so designist.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Characters that are more mobile than me give me issues.
I use Ganondorf.
Every character is more mobile than me. Every character gives me issues.
Damn.

Let them come to you. Defend. Grab. Punish. Take your time and don't be afraid to accumulate some damage to give more back.

But most importantly: don't underestimate the speed, power and range of your aerials. His up-air is great for fast damage with a lot of reach.

Tookay

Watching all of these tourneys in the past week reminding me of all of the "oh god this game is just shinier brawl 2.0.0.10.2 but 0.0001% faster and it'll probably be even worse than brawl, fucking sakurai" talk prerelease

I don't know ECG; I feel like it's a little too early to gloat about any of this yet.

The game still favors defensive play and can easily slow down even further once people figure out characters/custom move setups.

You're kind of setting yourself up to have this quote used used mockingly in six months.

Gazoinks

Fiiiinally completed my mission of finishing Classic mode with every character. Finished it off with that one character I keep forgetting exists: Olimar!

Now to do the same with All-Star Mode. ;_;

PK Gaming

Any tournaments in the past week have some good Robin play? I missed the last JP tourney and the NY official tournament, but I am really hungry for some more Robin play to study up on.

Nairo got to the Grand Finals of the KTAR X tourney.

Man, have to say, All-Star Mode 2007-2013 is basically all this except Greninja and WFT.

Probably my favorite Awkward Zombie comic, ever. I for one, welcome our glorious tall and beautiful smashers.

I don't know ECG; I feel like it's a little too early to gloat about any of this yet.

The game still favors defensive play and can easily slow down even further once people figure out characters/custom move setups.

You're kind of setting yourself up to have this quote used used mockingly in six months.
Compared to Brawl where offense just didn't exist at all on top of overpowered defensive options. In SSB4 being knocked into the air puts you at a disadvantage so even when combos aren't possible the player that gets a good read can build momentum and the opposing player has to work to become safe again.

That and movement is just faster in general, and a defensive play can fail instantly.

CassSept

Fiiiinally completed my mission of finishing Classic mode with every character. Finished it off with that one character I keep forgetting exists: Olimar!

Now to do the same with All-Star Mode. ;_;

All-Star is so annoying now that there is no option to continue any more :s It's such a pita, a single mistake, accidental suicide and you're back to square one. Eh. Whoever thought that's a good idea for that mode...

PKGaming

Banned
It's hilarious how well this captures the spirit of the "too much animu" brigade without pointing fingers. :lol

I feel like this roster is extremely diverse in terms of design. There's definitely, definitely not an overload of anime characters. It's just more evened out than it used to be. It shows that Nintendo has a huge diverse cast of characters with different designs ranging from Saturday morning cartoon Duck Hunt Dog to beautiful anime girl Palutena.

ugoo18

Nothing more satisfying as a Samus user than dropping from the ledge, wall jumping up and then landing that back heel for the KO and win.

Semajer

Whoever thought those giant, invincible skulls of death were a great pick for Smash Run enemies deserves 24 hours in the dungeon.

At best, they force you to drop everything you're working on and flee. At worst, you're suddenly killed by a charging skull coming through the floor. God help you if the music bugs, as it so often does.

It's even better when you hear the music, have no idea where it is, and then hop on a platform that flies straight up into the skull, killing you off-screen.

I hate Smash Run.

TheOGB

Banned
This game. So damn fun.

I'm liking WFT, Pac-Man, and Little Mac so far of the newcomers, and I've yet to mess around with Shulk, but I'm not expecting to fall in love with him. Palutena... is going to take some getting used to. Mii Brawler is a ton of fun, I love beating people up with myself (but now I'm sad I can't use him with Anyone :c).

I've got about 5 more challenges on the first panel, only unlocked Wario (100-Man Smash), Ness, and Falco (10 and 20 matches), and I've played just about everything except Classic, All-Star, and Online. There's still so much to do! The hype is real!

Got Classic done with another character, All-Star done with 2 more, 10 man melee done with 4 more, and 100 man melee done with 3 more. Wasn't expecting Dedede to be the character I had the most trouble with 100 man melee with but god he is so slow.

Intel_89

Through the course of my weekend I realized that I love DHD and can't counter RosaLuma with any of my mains. When played well it's nearly impossible to get rid of Luma and even then her air game is pretty insane mostly due to its range.

solomon

Jesus Christ Olimar is going to be on peach levels when it comes to how complicated he is, from things I have to test to numbers/ early frame data and just general notes I'm at 13 pages D: . I think he is a decent to maybe good but the amount of things you have to worry about/ take in consideration while fighting is gunna be crazy. I can't really dig deep until the wii u version drops (Don't wanna kill my 3ds)

Semajer

Can someone explain to me how I can get three Streetpasses for the Mario and Sonic 2012 Card Album, but only one for Smash Bros.?

I've been playing this game for about a week now and still have to get bowser jr. I've beaten classic with everyone but bowser jr. though.

The thing I'm stuck with is the streetsmash challenges; I've had my 3ds on sleep while I walked around my city, but I've only gotten one person's streetpass. Is there a way to get these quickly?

zogged

Has anyone around put a decent amount of time into Robin yet? Definitely one of my favourite newcomers but I'm always having a really hard time against some of the faster and aggressive characters. It always feels like if I cant land my side special against them I have no chance to set up a good counter attack

mStudios

Hey Gaf, I'm facing some serious problem.
Sometime when I go for the edge guarding it wont do the second jump that it supposed to do. This happen after doing a f-smash (i.e a Falcon's Knee).

Here's an example of it.
Can you see why I couldn't recover with Falco ? I did a regular jump, I was supposed to have one left.

ant1532

Banned
Hey Gaf, I'm facing some serious problem.
Sometime when I go for the edge guarding it wont do the second jump that it supposed to do. This happen after doing a f-smash (i.e a Falcon's Knee).

Here's an example of it.
Can you see why I couldn't recover with Falco ? I did a regular jump, I was supposed to have one left.

looks like you didn't jump while on the ground but while you were off the stage. you only have one jump off the stage.

Yeah. Unless you're using a character with multiple jumps, you can only jump once in the air generally, regardless if you already jumped on the ground or not.

Dr. Buni

Has anyone around put a decent amount of time into Robin yet? Definitely one of my favourite newcomers but I'm always having a really hard time against some of the faster and aggressive characters. It always feels like if I cant land my side special against them I have no chance to set up a good counter attack
I tried playing Robin but I really dislike the tome/levin sword break mechanic. Plus, their grab range is so bad.
Someone tweeted this to the official Hamburger Helper account.

GhrBRlp.png
Funny :D

Seiniyta

For however feels like it, I'm up for some smashing (1v1, no items, custom moves allowed, FD, Battlefield, Yoshi's, Prism Tower, Brinstar)

FC: 4854-6764-6410

I tried playing Robin but I really dislike the tome/levin sword break mechanic. Plus, their grab range is so bad.
Grab cancelling Robin's roll fixes the grab problem since it gives them a pretty good boost. Gonna be a big part of Robin's game since they don't have a lot of safe GTFO moves which they need.

Top Bottom