• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

jwCCFlX.png

Man, have to say, All-Star Mode 2007-2013 is basically all this except Greninja and WFT.

In her comment, Katy says "more anime babes and babettes have been trickling into Smash Bros since."

...WHAT IS A BABETTE?

Tadale

I've got about 180 online matches done - most of which came from this weekend. My win percentage for 1v1 is 60.1, which is pretty good considering that I had to climb out of a losing streak while I got used to the new game.

My mains are zero suit samus, doctor Mario, and greninja. It seems like I have the most issues with good rosalinas and yoshis. All three of my characters can beat out little Mac pretty consistently by spacing him out, but he can give me problems if someone is practiced up - zero suit samus is my best counter for a tough little Mac.

jorgejjvr

I've got about 180 online matches done - most of which came from this weekend. My win percentage for 1v1 is 60.1, which is pretty good considering that I had to climb out of a losing streak while I got used to the new game.

My mains are zero suit samus, doctor Mario, and greninja. It seems like I have the most issues with good rosalinas and yoshis. All three of my characters can beat out little Mac pretty consistently by spacing him out, but he can give me problems if someone is practiced up - zero suit samus is my best counter for a tough little Mac.
I always love to play against good counters for Mac :p

I haven't done any ridiculous amount of for glory because I prefer to play against people in forums like here for example. It's more fun to me to play against someone that you can talk to afterwards. Plus there's quite some good people here, cant say the same about for glory

guek

Banned
Mac is definitely a tough nut to crack, especially since I'm using a slower character like Link. Way too much stun resistance.

His instant ko is definitely OP. It lasts way too long and is way too rewarding in a 2 stock match. An easy nerf would be to have it vanish with any damage taken.

Dr. Buni

Man, have to say, All-Star Mode 2007-2013 is basically all this except Greninja and WFT.
I, for one, am not a big fan of the amount of "animu" characters in Smash. Some of them have pretty nice movesets (like Robin), but aesthetically I am not a fan of them.

It is pointless to complain though...
Grab cancelling Robin's roll fixes the grab problem since it gives them a pretty good boost. Gonna be a big part of Robin's game since they don't have a lot of safe GTFO moves which they need.
I have been trying to properly use this Grab Cancelling tech but with no success. I can perform it, but not constantly, which could leave me in a bad position if I tried to grab cancel in an online match.

Zyae

Has anyone around put a decent amount of time into Robin yet? Definitely one of my favourite newcomers but I'm always having a really hard time against some of the faster and aggressive characters. It always feels like if I cant land my side special against them I have no chance to set up a good counter attack

Robin and Bowser are my best right now. You have to use Robins side b to keep guys at a distance. Her down a and side a smashes are really powerful. If you get someone caught in side b run over and charge a quick smash on them.

0xCA2

Watching all of these tourneys in the past week reminding me of all of the "oh god this game is just shinier brawl 2.0.0.10.2 but 0.0001% faster and it'll probably be even worse than brawl, fucking sakurai" talk prerelease

When Brawl first came out, it seemed like it could be played agressively as well, because it was before people truly learned and mastered the powers of defensive play in the game. Here's Praxis' (compettive Brawl player and community leader) telling of how everything played out.

Praxis said:
When people first started playing the game they didn't immediately recognize how powerful the defensive options were or hadn't mastered them. When people evaded or blocked, they'd just try harder to hit them.

Over time, people started realizing just how powerful blocking was because you could retaliate extremely quickly compared to Melee and started optimizing their out of shield punishes to make it very dangerous to hit a shield. That resulted in opponents playing more cautiously.

Players also started realizing that walking was much better than running, because running reduced your options (Melee had many run cancelling techniques), and you could use defensive options to cover the majority of your opponent's running options. So people started walking more, or running in to shield.

Eventually, people started realizing they could use defensive techniques to combat defensive techniques, and you saw a lot of fakeouts involving shields. Brawl players frequently fish to try to bait people in to hitting their shields, or run away and throw projectiles to force the opponent to run to get past it, or use safe autocancelled moves as bait.

Shields are even used for followup- since you don't have a guaranteed hit because of low hitstun, you can often throw someone, run over to where they are going to land, and shield. If they throw out an attack, you blocked it and can hit them back. If they air dodge, you drop shield and punish or grab the end of the airdodge. If they waste their second jump, great, now they're in a terrible position in the air above you with no second jump and you can chase and potentially gimp, or pull bananas/turnips/grenades, or get a better position, etc. That's how cool strings in Brawl work- not technically a combo, but you covered all of your opponent's options and still got followup, so it's pretty combo-like.

People with certain characters like Metaknight, G&W, and Pit also started realizing that they were really safe on the ledge, so you saw a lot more stalling and waiting for opportunities to get back on because nobody would chase you offstage.

Here are some example GIFs showing how defensive options are used:

Ally vs Mew2King (2014) (see how Ally is trying to get M2K to hit his shield?)
DEHF vs Mew2King (2013) DEHF is trying to force M2K to approach with the lasers, and then reverse to a slow walk once M2K rushes in. He misses his punish and gets hit by a dash attack, and then gets baited by M2K's pulled-back autocancelled fair in to attacking and hits a powershield.

Advanced Brawl is heavily about moving slow and using your defensive options to force reactions from your opponent. This doesn't make Brawl a worthless competitive game, but it does make it slow by nature of it's design.

So far, I feel like Smash 4 is similarly designed. Defensive play is still very powerful due to the shield, combo game is pretty Brawl like (which makes projectiles way more important than in Melee), and offstage game has been heavily buffed for the defender- I think as people master the game it'll slow down more like Brawl did. It'll still be competitive, it'll just have a more Brawl-like pace.

He has a lot of great posts on reddit explaining Brawl history and Brawl gameplay vis-a-vis Melee and Smash 4.

I've been trying to pick up WFT. I just beat this one guy online a lot, but he was using Shulk so I have no idea if I'm actually good with WFT or not lol.

Is there anyone here who's good with Shulk? He got me a few times with some cheap shots, but his moves are just so slow!

Pompadour

Are there any non-random trophies aside from the Classic, All-Star, and Challenge board ones? I have three to go and I've got all of those, including the three Mii class trophies in both Classic and All-Star.

I've been trying to pick up WFT. I just beat this one guy online a lot, but he was using Shulk so I have no idea if I'm actually good with WFT or not lol.

Is there anyone here who's good with Shulk? He got me a few times with some cheap shots, but his moves are just so slow!
FG Shulks also throw out Smash attacks at every opportunity in Smash mode so it gets really easy lol

Raptomex

Does dying in level 9 classic mode (and NOT continuing) cause you to lose a lot of coins? I had 10000, then 4000, now I have barely any.

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out.

I give Shulk a whirl on for Glory every now and then but he's like the one character I somewhat regularly use that I don't have much confidence in, if I know the player I'm facing is better than me based upon previous matches then there's almost no way it's Shulk time.
As a character I feel he does have a lot of cool potential and smart usage of Monado Arts is fun but his standard moves in general feel lacking, be it impact, reliability, or options there's something that feels kind of half baked about Shulk when removed from the Monado Arts gimmick.

I did get beasted on by a trunks wearing Shulk one time, there was a lot of neutral air and standard jab combo involved and not much else if I recall but the player definitely had my number on this one so I don't doubt that he can be used very well if you know the right moves to choose from.

FG Shulks also throw out Smash attacks at every opportunity in Smash mode so it gets really easy lol

I am sometimes guilty of this, then again he's not like my main man or anything so I still haven't really deduced what are his best options.
Let me say though there's nothing more annoying than when the forward smash connects but somehow the buster beam itself whiffs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finished off the custom moves locked behind challenges. Worst part of that was grinding to open up the other boards.

Still a long way to go.

What's the easiest method to beat classic on 9.0? I remember seeing someone mention Bowser? What items should I use?
I didn't use items, I just beat all of the normal matches through Bowsercide, then learned Master Core's patterns. A defense boost would help though I bet.

R0ckman

Mac is definitely a tough nut to crack, especially since I'm using a slower character like Link. Way too much stun resistance.

His instant ko is definitely OP. It lasts way too long and is way too rewarding in a 2 stock match. An easy nerf would be to have it vanish with any damage taken.

It's not an instant KO, you need about 40% damage at least to get KO'd from it.

jackal27

Banned
relative attributes for each of Shulk's arts:

gqBijNL.png

Hey I pretty much figured these out on my own! Cool! Also, I'm fairly certain that speed DOES increase attack speed, at least when it comes to Smash animations. I love turning it on when I'm facing off against Little Mac. It helps level the playing field a bit.

Also, animu characters forever you whiners!

emb

KO punch misses me way more often than I feel like it should. Doesn't seem like a terribly big hitbox. Maybe I've just gotten lucky so far.

But I can also just run away and throw projectiles trying to get rid of it a lot of times.

Pompadour

The more I play as Little Mac and against Little Mac I realize he's a scrub buster at his core. If anyone just wants to beat him pick Jigglypuff and wall of pain him off the stage.

KO punch misses me way more often than I feel like it should. Doesn't seem like a terribly big hitbox. Maybe I've just gotten lucky so far.

But I can also just run away and throw projectiles trying to get rid of it a lot of times.
Maybe it just has Meta Knight hitbox syndrome.

I have done the KO punch and not get any damage while losing the power I gained.
I feel like it is like Pocket in that you have to time it exactly right.

Top Bottom