• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Kyuur

When I play Shulk, I basically never use Speed or Jump. Buster to rack up damage into Smash, Shield when I'm at a high percent.

DrStiles

When I play Shulk, I basically never use Speed or Jump. Buster to rack up damage into Smash, Shield when I'm at a high percent.

I use speed sometimes when I want to change the pace of the match, usually in For Glory when they aren't expecting it. I need to get better at using Jump to edge guard.

jackal27

Banned

Smash is so fun. I love when I get some over 100%, hit dat red glow and they're just immediately running from everything, haha

I use Speed when people are spamming projectiles. Just get into their faces and juggle them around for a bit. Jump is for gimping Little Mac offstage.

zogged

Robin and Bowser are my best right now. You have to use Robins side b to keep guys at a distance. Her down a and side a smashes are really powerful. If you get someone caught in side b run over and charge a quick smash on them.
Cheers dude, looks like I gotta really gotta get the range on her side special down.

I don't think I can take much more DK runs of Smash Run, just give me my Spinning Kong and Giant Punch alternatives you random loot generator dastards!
The handling of custom move acquisition in this game is awful, sure we all know that by now but it's worth repeating.

That feeling of finishing a smash run and all those bags just give you pointless tat that isn't new moves, at the very least I just got all the Mii outfits, something something body ready.

Hatchtag

Banned
I mean in terms of play style. Visually he would be perfectly unique without the arts.

In terms of playstyle he is without it though. The weird stabbing motion of his attacks makes him fairly unique to play, even if you don't ever use the monado arts.

I'm at the point where I keep losing to the most obvious tactics online and start getting unfocused and frustrated. I need a break.

Sheik can die btw

EDIT: It doesn't help that I start out practicing with Charizard just to switch to my main after many losses only to end up still losing lol

Urgh, all the concerns I had about the 3DS version's controls really become apparently at higher levels.

When you have a split second to try and up-b but it does a side-b instead, you just slam the system shut and wait patiently for the Wii U version.

In terms of playstyle he is without it though. The weird stabbing motion of his attacks makes him fairly unique to play, even if you don't ever use the monado arts.

I can't say I agree, aside from the buster popping out on the front and up smash attacks and maybe the down air as well Shulk has a pretty basic sword swinging moveset.

emb

I'm at the point where I keep losing to the most obvious tactics online and start getting unfocused and frustrated. I need a break.

Sheik can die btw

EDIT: It doesn't help that I start out practicing with Charizard just to switch to my main after many losses only to end up still losing lol
Solution: don't switch to your main. Keep that "I could have won if I wanted" card safely in your sleeve. :p Who do you play by the way?

A break will probably help clear your mind though.
Urgh, all the concerns I had about the 3DS version's controls really become apparently at higher levels.

When you have a split second to try and up-b but it does a side-b instead, you just slam the system shut and wait patiently for the Wii U version.
I've killed myself that way so many times. :(

Including mid-tournament yesterday.

Solution: don't switch to your main. Keep that "I could have won if I wanted" card safely in your sleeve. :p Who do you play by the way?

A break will probably help clear your mind though.
I just always think "man if I was using a character I'm more familiar with I'd have shown you why that crap won't normally work" but it still does lmao. I main Wario so it's a big contrast between him and Zard.

Not good practice in retrospect. My Zard is still shit.

Yes, this happens a lot.

Get ready to wonder at how your obvious side b turned into an up b while you were too far away from the stage, but nearly the exact same motion does a side-b when your character is directly below the ledge and their face is in the wall

Forkball

I main Luigi.

You do not know true pain.

Jado

Banned
I probably need to read a guide, but I can't wrap my head around:

Little Mac. I've absolutely demolished opponents... who then switch to Little Mac and I either lose or it's a crazy struggle win. It feels like I tried way much harder to beat a cheap noob who I literally just saw stink up the place with non-Little Mac characters. I know he can be beat soundly with good strat, but it's obvious who has the big advantage on this flat surface of every For Glory Stage.

Ike and other Parry-counter. Maybe I just don't see this enough. Soundly beat up a guy over and over as we switched it up a lot... then he picks Ike. I was mentally stuck and getting countered and just tossed around the place. I improved, but still got my ass kicked.

Too often in heated moments, I attack the wrong way because of the slide pad. As in, my opponent has left a major split-second opening right in front of me, and my character does not turn to face the direction because of the imprecise controls and my melee or projectile attack goes the wrong way. If I don't get countered, I'm usually forced to quickly roll away. Also, regular attacks when I meant to do smash, up attack instead of side, etc. These were complete non-issues on the Gamecube.

PKGaming

Banned
The more I play, the more I hate the circle pad. I can't tell you how many times I try to run, but end up walking. Or try to do a smash attack but do a tilt. Or try an Up-B to recover but do my Side-B. It really gets me frustrated and tempted to mash on my circle pad for it to properly read my inputs, but I don't wanna get too rough with it and break it. But if I'm not rough, it'll read my inputs wrong. And I REALLY wish I had a C-stick, I think my Shulk would be sooo much better with a C-stick. God, I wish the 3DS version just didn't even exist sometimes. I feel like this game just was not meant to be played on a handheld... -_-;

Azuran

Banned
I just always think "man if I was using a character I'm more familiar with I'd have shown you why that crap won't normally work" but it still does lmao. I main Wario so it's a big contrast between him and Zard.

Not good practice in retrospect. My Zard is still shit.

At least you're playing Zard. Poor guy is getting shitted on by almost everyone because he's not Bowser, which makes me cry. You just gotta be patient with him and wait for an opening to punish. He's slow, so whiffing anything with him is bad news. However if the opponent screws up, go nuts, Charizard is a punishing machine.

emb

Apparently in Melee the angles for specials change between the ground and the air. Brawl is probably the same way, since it also felt good.

Standing:
w43wsA5.png

In the air:
rRst5WU.png

I wonder if that's not the case any more? More likely just the Circle pad being a weaker input method. For the most part I attribute it to my own timing error, but it's interesting to see many people having the same issue.

Jado

Banned
The more I play, the more I hate the circle pad. I can't tell you how many times I try to run, but end up walking. Or try to do a smash attack but do a tilt. Or try an Up-B to recover but do my Side-B. It really gets me frustrated and tempted to mash on my circle pad for it to properly read my inputs, but I don't wanna get too rough with it and break it. But if I'm not rough, it'll read my inputs wrong. And I REALLY wish I had a C-stick, I think my Shulk would be sooo much better with a C-stick. God, I wish the 3DS version just didn't even exist sometimes. I feel like this game just was not meant to be played on a handheld... -_-;

I was fine with it playing offline the first few days and getting acclimated to the controls, but I now agree with this entirely the more I play online. It introduces so much error into matches that need to be very precise.

I think I've only registered input error once or twice when it comes to directions, so I don't know what you guys are doing wrong lol. I do have Smashes come out when I try to do tilts though.

Golnei

tumblr_nd8sg3KB3i1qi63o6o1_500.jpg

After Brawl, I was taken from the battle, neither truly alive, nor truly dead, an undying shadow, in a world of lights. Now, in front of you, I can finally die.

Yasumi

Banned
Hope they patch in the DPad eventually, since it was perfectly manageable with the Wiimote. The control icon in the options being a dpad is such a goddamn tease.

emb

I probably need to read a guide, but I can't wrap my head around:

Little Mac. I've absolutely demolished opponents... who then switch to Little Mac and I either lose or it's a crazy struggle win. It feels like I tried way much harder to beat a cheap noob who I literally just saw stink up the place with non-Little Mac characters. I know he can be beat soundly with good strat, but it's obvious who has the big advantage on this flat surface of every For Glory Stage.

Ike and other Parry-counter. Maybe I just don't see this enough. Soundly beat up a guy over and over as we switched it up a lot... then he picks Ike. I was mentally stuck and getting countered and just tossed around the place. I improved, but still got my ass kicked.
Little Mac is just a character that you're going to have to play really specifically against. You want beat him if you fight him like he's most normal characters. Abuse projectiles, force him to play near the edge. His grab/throws aren't the greatest, so shield is really strong in that matchup too (and sometimes shield grabbing. Just really really careful with spot dodging, since it seems like a lot of his moves catch those.

With counter, you need to change up your timings. Really, try to change up your timings for everything somewhat often. Throw in short waits. Long enough to throw off their counter or airdodge, but not long enough that they can just react. If you start applying that patience (especially when you're also feigning attacks by jumping toward them or run up shielding) you'll see the counters popup. If they're getting a lot of counters near the ground, that means you aren't grabbing enough. Spam grabs a little more to condition them to be afraid of countering. (Of course, all that stuff is a lot harder in practice than in theory.)

vixlar

Apparently in Melee the angles for specials change between the ground and the air. Brawl is probably the same way, since it also felt good.

Standing:
w43wsA5.png

In the air:
rRst5WU.png

I wonder if that's not the case any more? More likely just the Circle pad being a weaker input method. For the most part I attribute it to my own timing error, but it's interesting to see many people having the same issue.

Ooooh!!!

That explains why when I try to get egg toss in air sometimes I get Egg Roll (and die)

By the way, I really don't know if many people, specially new players, know this. But if you want to do the neutral B in the air to your back, first press the stick to your back, let it in neutral and then quickly press B.

At least you're playing Zard. Poor guy is getting shitted on by almost everyone because he's not Bowser, which makes me cry. You just gotta be patient with him and wait for an opening to punish. He's slow, so whiffing anything with him is bad news. However if the opponent screws up, go nuts, Charizard is a punishing machine.
He's sooo hard to use. Wario's all about punishing too but he's really fast and has so many different tools and options to do his job. I feel like I'm missing something about Zard.

I used him in Brawl, he feels so different here. Sticking with him because he's at least fun. (And DK doesn't scratch my heavy itch here)

I kinda wish Shulk didn't have the Monado Arts thing. Makes him kinda overwhelming to try to learn.

I think it'd help if they changed the Kanji to the Smash Run pickup icons or something. It helps that the relevant part of his body glows, but it's easy to forget the order.

Jado

Banned
Little Mac is just a character that you're going to have to play really specifically against. You want beat him if you fight him like he's most normal characters. Abuse projectiles, force him to play near the edge. His grab/throws aren't the greatest, so shield is really strong in that matchup too (and sometimes shield grabbing. Just really really careful with spot dodging, since it seems like a lot of his moves catch those.

With counter, you need to change up your timings. Really, try to change up your timings for everything somewhat often. Throw in short waits. Long enough to throw off their counter or airdodge, but not long enough that they can just react. If you start applying that patience (especially when you're also feigning attacks by jumping toward them or run up shielding) you'll see the counters popup. If they're getting a lot of counters near the ground, that means you aren't grabbing enough. Spam grabs a little more to condition them to be afraid of countering. (Of course, all that stuff is a lot harder in practice than in theory.)

Thanks, I had an idea this was the case for both. I had a feeling you can't just trade blows with Mac. Doesn't end well.

All sound points which I started doing with some success towards the end. I just need to practice that more, and do more grabs. I noticed a lot of players are one-dimensional and I try to be far from that and mix up timing and attack style, but always forget to mix in some grabs. Maybe cuz it's on the L button. Across all types of platforms, I tend to ignore L triggers the most.

random25

I just can't help but feel so bad about Megaman's side smash: the Charged Buster.

It's strong, really, especially at full charge. But there are some problems with it.

- very, very short range. Even at full charge. It's hard to use when I'm being overwhelmed by projectile users will longer range.
- cannot be stored. Unlike Samus or Lucario, it's not really as potent when somebody can see you charge it up because it will be released afterwards anyway. Can really be dodged and reflected easily.

If only he can store it, damn he could be more potent.

bchamba

I main falcon online and whenever I run into another falcon the match always starts with both of us taunting. Does this happen with all ditto matches or is this a result of falcon being the greatest smasher of all time?

Top Bottom