• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Aaaargh! I have 666 trophies (which is pretty metal, but that's besides the point) so I need... 19 more?

Anyway, I'm not getting new ones :( Not in 2:30 minutes of Trophy Rush, not in the Shop, not in any other modes! Is there a way to up the frequency of getting new trophies?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Aaaargh! I have 666 trophies (which is pretty metal, but that's besides the point) so I need... 19 more?

Anyway, I'm not getting new ones :( Not in 2:30 minutes of Trophy Rush, not in the Shop, not in any other modes! Is there a way to up the frequency of getting new trophies?

Some trophies are challenge board rewards.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
I know, I've unlocked 104 of the 105 :) (The last one's the one for 50 hours of Smash play, so I'll unlock that later this week.)

SerodD

So this just happened to me, I cleared all Star-mode with all the characters plus the 3 mii classes and I didn't get the chalenge, anyone know if there is a bug or if I'm missing something?

Jawmuncher

I always thought people were joking about the Stage Selection.
Went through every single one and wow a lot of them really are clunkers.
No reason they gave us a FD mode this go around. Honestly think someone looked at them and realized. Were never going to get people to play on these levels any other way.

I always thought people were joking about the Stage Selection.
Went through every single one and wow a lot of them really are clunkers.
No reason they gave us a FD mode this go around. Honestly think someone looked at them and realized. Were never going to get people to play on these levels any other way.
It sucks because a lot of them are this close to being good. The removal of the Flying Man in All-Star on Magicant makes the level more than tolerable, for instance. I always laugh inwardly when the tip about there being "only" five Flying Men comes up.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't see Sakurai entirely removing stage hazards, but I wish he'd fix a few through patches...

Decrease the K.O. power of the Flying Men.
Make Yellow Devil only appear once per match, near the end, so it's an "oh shit!" moment and not a constantly annoyance.
Fix the borders on Spirit Tracks so you don't die so easily when it scrolls.

Those are the big stick-outs for me.

If I were to alter the Flying Man without outright removing him, I'd do the following:

-Greatly decrease KO power. Make him annoying, but not game changing.
-Ample warning he's going to appear. As of now he just pops out of the house, randomly and with no warning.
-Decrease his survivability to the point that he's relatively easy to KO.
-Put a time limit to how long he can stay, around like ten seconds.

And then maybe non-Omega Magicant would be playable. As it is now he's way too strong of reward for such a minor positional advantage. It sucks too because I really like the rest of Magicant (save maybe the Sky Runner). The Flying Man was totally unnecessary and definitely emblematic of Sakurai's ever shifting stage design priorities.

Watch Da Birdie

I feel like Golden Plains is surprisingly a good level.

It scrolls at a decent pace, and not constantly. The Golden Power benefit isn't too powerful, everyone has an equal chance at it, and only lasts for a few seconds.

Neiteio

It sucks because a lot of them are this close to being good. The removal of the Flying Man in All-Star on Magicant makes the level more than tolerable, for instance. I always laugh inwardly when the tip about there being "only" five Flying Men comes up.
Yeah, what's funny is many people play with less than five stocks, so in theory the Flying Men could outlast the players, haha.

That being said, in the past couple days I've gone from playing For Glory exclusively to playing against CPUs in the normal version of stages with items on, and it's really opened my eyes to how fun these stages can be.

Take Magicant, for example. The Flying Men really aren't bad at all in a four-player match. It's only problematic in 1v1 where the player who didn't get the Flying Man will eat all of the flying kicks and cross-chops. But with four players, the natural emergent chaos splits the pain a lot more evenly. Also, the Flying Men fall really quick in four-player. Sometimes they don't even make it off their starting platform!

The level that's done a complete 180 in my eyes, for the better, is Paper Mario. It's probably my favorite stage now, including the Bowser's Castle segment, and I realized this while playing on it as Little Mac, of all people. The stage just has a great progression, with wildly different scenes and neat mix-ups therein, like the boat rocking on the waves and bouncing up on the whale's spout, or the head rotating in Bowser's Castle as the platforms rise and fall.

Doesn't hurt that the medley includes the Rogueport theme and that the alt music is from Mario & Luigi, of course!

kunonabi

I don't see Sakurai entirely removing stage hazards, but I wish he'd fix a few through patches...

Decrease the K.O. power of the Flying Men.
Make Yellow Devil only appear once per match, near the end, so it's an "oh shit!" moment and not a constantly annoyance.
Fix the borders on Spirit Tracks so you don't die so easily when it scrolls.

Those are the big stick-outs for me.

The stage hazards don't bother me but the duration of the assist trophies seems really excessive this time around.

Neiteio

I feel like Golden Plains is surprisingly a good level.

It scrolls at a decent pace, and not constantly. The Golden Power benefit isn't too powerful, everyone has an equal chance at it, and only lasts for a few seconds.
Another of my favorite levels. I was also surprised. The scrolling in Golden Plains is just right, and the variety along the way is perfect. You have your walk-off section, you have your section with platforms over a bottomless pit. Also, like you said, the gold power isn't too strong. It gives you an advantage since you don't flinch, but it's not like you'll destroy everything you touch, and there's nothing to stop others from collecting coins and getting the power themselves. :)

Jado

Banned
Flor Glory should really have the custom stages minus the interactive hazards. It's really dumb that every stage is Final Destination. For example, there's nothing wrong with playing on Great Fox minus the shooting Arwings. Same for Gerudo Vallery without the witches. Huge missed opportunity.

Watch Da Birdie

The stage hazards don't bother me but the duration of the assist trophies seems really excessive this time around.

A lot of them seem to have a ton of different moves, too.

I'd be interested if the Wii U Version had some mode where you could control them via the GamePad to help a friend.

Cranzor

Do you guys care much about your win percentage online? I find myself getting frustrated with losing but I probably should just not care.

Flor Glory should really have the custom stages minus the interactive hazards. It's really dumb that every stage is Final Destination. For example, there's nothing wrong with playing on Great Fox minus the shooting Arwings. Same for Gerudo Vallery without the witches. Huge missed opportunity.
Eh.... I'd rather no walk-offs in For Glory. I'm all for stages with platforms with no real (or minor) hazards, but walk-offs just encourage edge camping, which is no fun.

This isn't true. Low blast ceilings and walk offs.

Top Bottom