• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

I just started using the Bowser Bomb the last few days. I discovered that it has about as much startup as Whirling Fortress, so I can punish with a KO move sometimes. I just need to make sure whatever I'm punishing is in front of me. I also want to experiment more with just running up to people and doing the Bowser Bomb instead of going for a dash attack.

Running up and Bowser Bombing does seem like a decent mixup. The one time you did it on me it looked like it hit twice once on the jump and once on the way up. I could be wrong though. It seemed powerful enough to stop a slide or a dash attack.

I just started using Fire Breath as an edge guard today. I am still learning the proper positioning for it. He can't chase well, so it makes sense to rack up an extra 10% to bring the KO in sooner. I actually have trouble KOing with Bowser sometimes just because his Up Smash and Down Smash have no range, his Forward Smash is useless outside of punishes, and Flying Slam (Side B) is hard to land against some players. Those are pretty much his only KO tools until you get to ~150% against the enemy.

It seemed pretty effective. When I landed right next to you (almost touching) and during the flame I would try to block and roll but I would get caught everytime. So then I was trying to find away around it. If I tried to flame sword you I would hit you but Bowser would recover faster then I would due to the landing lag. Slashes are good but at that range where hard to set up and hit in that short window. I decided to just Rush Coil out of it but it's risky because Bowser is pretty strong on the ground vs high air opponents. Bowser's down smash felt like it had some momentum behind it. What about Bowser's Back Air? It seemed pretty strong to me.

Also I almost died when I thought I was gonna kill you by jumping up and Rush Coiling during your bowser bomb and you went so high up.

I learned that I can dash attack Metal Blade to catch it, but tapping Shield seems to also work. I wish we could record AI attacks in this game like we can in most fighting games. I would like to practice catching Metal Blade. It was pretty key to getting in on you. Also, having the Crash Bomb on me and then landing Flying Slam is funny.

MB don't do a lot of damage but they can be a pain to deal with. It did stop your aproach at times and even when you caught it, I wasn't too worried. I think it's a great tool to getting your opponent to do something. I did notice they do more damage when picked up than when shot out.

With the crash bombs, even though they kinda suck damage wise, if they stick to you most people tend to just hold block until it goes away. I think this is a great chance to just charge a forward smash just to try to break their sheild. You can follow up with a run attack to I think. Even though I never broke your shield that's what I was trying to do.
I feel like I can't keep people flying like you can, though. Once I get launched, I tend to stay launched. You usually make it back safely.

I'm pretty bad at it too so I always tried to fall onto the ledge, even if I wasn't near it. I don't know if this is good strategy or not. The way I saw it was if I was on the ledge I had four options.

1. Neutral attack onto platform.
2. Jump up
3. Up B up really high and fall towards the middle or Up B and fall back onto Rush
4. Jump Backwards and then back onto ledge and repeat

As opposed to me always
1. Getting juggled
2. Getting Countered as I defend my self
3. Dodging when it looks like I'm about to be attacked, landing and getting hit in the landing lag.

Conner, you got me on my toes moving around like that! haha good games so far! a couple more? gonna surprise my buddy with his copy for his bday! bought him smash a couple days ago so im excited.

jokkir

Was told earlier that Rosalina is a good character so decided to try her out and I'm really liking her. I still have no idea what down + B is on her though despite playing 10+ games with her lol

Yeah, what's funny is many people play with less than five stocks, so in theory the Flying Men could outlast the players, haha.

That being said, in the past couple days I've gone from playing For Glory exclusively to playing against CPUs in the normal version of stages with items on, and it's really opened my eyes to how fun these stages can be.

Take Magicant, for example. The Flying Men really aren't bad at all in a four-player match. It's only problematic in 1v1 where the player who didn't get the Flying Man will eat all of the flying kicks and cross-chops. But with four players, the natural emergent chaos splits the pain a lot more evenly. Also, the Flying Men fall really quick in four-player. Sometimes they don't even make it off their starting platform!

The level that's done a complete 180 in my eyes, for the better, is Paper Mario. It's probably my favorite stage now, including the Bowser's Castle segment, and I realized this while playing on it as Little Mac, of all people. The stage just has a great progression, with wildly different scenes and neat mix-ups therein, like the boat rocking on the waves and bouncing up on the whale's spout, or the head rotating in Bowser's Castle as the platforms rise and fall.

Doesn't hurt that the medley includes the Rogueport theme and that the alt music is from Mario & Luigi, of course!

I wonder if this is why I've never found the Yellow Devil/Flying Man nearly as unbearable as people make them out to be. I don't think I've even seen the former last more than ten seconds due to my preferred set-ups, for example.

The Paper Mario one is just alright, imo, but as you mentioned it has the TTYD portion so I find myself dropping by quite often.

Neoxon told me to post this from Temp-Ban Land
gif_write_33bc77.gif

He says hi (and he'll be back next week)

Other than the unnecessary text, that's been posted a million times already. His ban has just been extended.

DaBoss

Got all custom moves. Not sure what the total amount of headgear is. If someone knows, please post it. I'm at 44 pieces of headgear, and don't know how much I need to collect. Seems like it will take a while to get. I'll get that at my own pace.

Going to head online now after a while lol.

Anyone want to do 1v1s?

Berordn

So how many clothing options are there for the Miis? There doesn't seem like that many.

There's a good overall selection but not very many for each Mii type, which kind of sucks. I had originally hoped they'd all be able to share them, but unfortunately I can't have a punching wizard.

Running up and Bowser Bombing does seem like a decent mixup. The one time you did it on me it looked like it hit twice once on the jump and once on the way up. I could be wrong though. It seemed powerful enough to stop a slide or a dash attack.
Yeah, Bowser hits on the way up. He catches the opponent with his horns, and knocks them into the downward fall portion.

It seemed pretty effective. When I landed right next to you (almost touching) and during the flame I would try to block and roll but I would get caught everytime. So then I was trying to find away around it. If I tried to flame sword you I would hit you but Bowser would recover faster then I would due to the landing lag. Slashes are good but at that range where hard to set up and hit in that short window. I decided to just Rush Coil out of it but it's risky because Bowser is pretty strong on the ground vs high air opponents. Bowser's down smash felt like it had some momentum behind it. What about Bowser's Back Air? It seemed pretty strong to me.
Oh yeah, Back Air is extremely strong. It just has crap range. You have to really get in your opponent's head to make it land. Are you sure you are thinking of Bowser's Down Smash? I don't think I used it in any of our matches. I consider it to be pretty crappy outside of a few situations.

Also, Megaman's fair is a good answer to stuff, but you have to know that Bowser has two stages. At 55% life and below, he has hyper armor against weak attacks. Hence how I can just run through the pea shooter and hit you. Once I get to 56%, stuff like Flame Sword is much safer against him on hit. Basically, you have to play it very safe for that first 55%. Then you can be more aggressive.

Also I almost died when I thought I was gonna kill you by jumping up and Rush Coiling during your bowser bomb and you went so high up.
Haha, I was confused by that moment.

MB don't do a lot of damage but they can be a pain to deal with. It did stop your aproach at times and even when you caught it, I wasn't too worried. I think it's a great tool to getting your opponent to do something. I did notice they do more damage when picked up than when shot out.
Oh, definitely. They are a great tool. Have you messed with MM's customs yet? I think Metal Blade is the best of them all, but I am not a big fan of Crash Bomb. Sakurai shouldn't have let it transfer between characters. Megaman earns that bomb stick.

With the crash bombs, even though they kinda suck damage wise, if they stick to you most people tend to just hold block until it goes away. I think this is a great chance to just charge a forward smash just to try to break their sheild. You can follow up with a run attack to I think. Even though I never broke your shield that's what I was trying to do.
I totally know that game, because I spent 20 hours playing Megaman in the demo. That's why I always rushed you and tried to Whirling Fortress the bomb back onto you - I know how good it is at destroying shields if Megaman gets to chill back and fire projectiles. Sometimes I would just roll back across the screen to give my shield time to recharge because those Forward Smashes were so brutal on my shield. I wish shield regen was a little weaker in this game. There are a small handful of things I would love to see changed...

I'm pretty bad at it too so I always tried to fall onto the ledge, even if I wasn't near it. I don't know if this is good strategy or not. The way I saw it was if I was on the ledge I had four options.

1. Neutral attack onto platform.
2. Jump up
3. Up B up really high and fall towards the middle or Up B and fall back onto Rush
4. Jump Backwards and then back onto ledge and repeat

As opposed to me always
1. Getting juggled
2. Getting Countered as I defend my self
3. Dodging when it looks like I'm about to be attacked, landing and getting hit in the landing lag.
I am also trying to figure this stuff out. I feel like my grounded neutral is pretty strong, but once me or my opponent are off the ledge, I don't have a good gameplan.

TWILT

Banned
Got all custom moves. Not sure what the total amount of headgear is. If someone knows, please post it. I'm at 44 pieces of headgear, and don't know how much I need to collect. Seems like it will take a while to get. I'll get that at my own pace.

Going to head online now after a while lol.

Anyone want to do 1v1s?

I'll play. Customs on, 3 stock?

shaowebb

I gotta say after seeing some matches that too many folks are using up to jump. If you use one of the face buttons as your jump it is so much easier to do shorthops and fast falls and you don't see random input goofups where you went for a move and another came out due to rolling the finger too much swinging from the up position into something else.

Plus the speed at which you can cancel a jump into a move gets WAY better. Try doing Ganondorf shorthop into down B and see what the lowest height you can get is and then do a short hop with the button and hit down B. Its damn near INSTANT using the button over the directional jumping.

I see so many people going up too high in this game online when they jump. They put jump buttons in for reasons. :(

k_hop

GGs man! Haha, I obviously have no idea what do against a Mii Brawler.

ggs Oric! Sorry if you would have rather I not played Mii, since I know it's kinda hard to know the match-up for someone who isn't even available in For Glory. He and Link are pretty much the only characters I even play though.

Revven

Maybe I should learn Zard as a replacement for Greninja on the 3DS. Someone tell me the strategy with him pls because I feel like his aerials are all too laggy to short hop for approaches. :/ (Or, someone tell me general tips, I know what his specials would be good for already for example)

Maybe I should learn Zard as a replacement for Greninja on the 3DS. Someone tell me the strategy with him pls because I feel like his aerials are all too aggy to short hop for approaches. :/ (Or, someone tell me general tips, I know what his specials would be good for already for example)
Shorthopped NAir and FAir (don't fast fall!) actually autocancel though the window is pretty tight on 3DS, but you'll get it with practice. I only picked him up today so I'm still learning. Jab is your best friend since it comes out really fast with great reach.

Also Up B OOS is godlike if they're close enough. Up Smash is an alternative.

Revven

Shorthopped NAir and FAir (don't fast fall!) actually autocancel though the window is pretty tight on 3DS, but you'll get it with practice. I only picked him up today so I'm still learning. Jab is your best friend since it comes out really fast with great reach.

Also Up B OOS is godlike if they're close enough. Up Smash is an alternative.

Didn't know Nair could be autocanceled, knew about Fair not sure if it's possible to be consistent with it because of how tight of a window it is without a C-stick. I assumed Up B OoS would be good, so nice to know it is when used properly.

It'll just be weird to adjust to such laggy aerials compared to who I usually play (such as DK and Link or Marth etc etc).

Filth

I just got the game. Is there no single player mode? Or do I just play random games against the Cpu/online. If their is I can't find it :(

DaBoss

I don't get Mega Man's d-smash at all. It can only kill if you hit it at the beginning and doesn't have an active hitbox after, but has insane cooldown time.

Top Bottom