• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

What are you even talking about?

VeC755z.png

Tighten up these areas. There, I just made room for an entire new row of characters. That's just one of several super obvious workarounds for your problem. I honestly thought you were being facetious at first, but since it seems to not be the case I just want to note that screen real estate on the character select screen is not really a barrier to entry here. I could go either way on DLC characters myself, but if we don't get more than Mewtwo and (insert other character here), it's because Sakurai either doesn't want to or doesn't see the financial incentive, not because the menu is perfectly planned right now and a third new character just wouldn't fly.

You asked how could more characters could fit on a character select screen. So I answered. Where does your "room for 2 more" come from?

Your answer doesn't make any sense. "Rewrite the definition file"? Yeah, no shit, but how does that solve anything? CSS doesn't work like that. I'm not talking technical reasons or whatever. It was just a minor remark on the CSS, and sure enough there are ways around it but it's not pretty.

They could just add a single icon for DLC characters and once you select it you can scroll through them with the d-pad or something.

That's lame. I'd rather DLC characters be entirely integrated into the game. So if you have the DLC everything is seamless and it's as if the game doesn't even have DLC.

My worst fear for Mewtwo is
- He doesn't show up in Classic
- He doesn't show up in All Star
- He lacks any new trophies for himself. Beating Classic/All Star unlocks nothing.
- He's on some random other menu
- He's not playable online

And I know there's a very real chance some or all of those would happen, which is why I'm scared :(

http://i.imgur.com/VeC755z.png[img]

Tighten up these areas. There, I just made room for an entire new row of characters. That's just one of several super obvious workarounds for your problem. I honestly thought you were being facetious at first, but since it seems to not be the case I just want to note that screen real estate on the character select screen is not really a barrier to entry here. I could go either way on DLC characters myself, but if we don't get more than Mewtwo and (insert other character here), it's because Sakurai either doesn't want to or doesn't see the financial incentive, not because the menu is perfectly planned right now and a third new character just wouldn't fly.[/QUOTE]

This is a rookie mistake. No game designer would ever remove the safe space. Todays TVs are still too shitty. The likelyhood of details appearing outside the screens are too large. Look at any screenshot of any game, and you'll see that there's always a safe space. And even still, it's not enough space. But yeah, again, of course there are ways around it, and I didn't mean much with that comment.

"Super obvious workarounds"? Come back when you know what you're talking about, friend, and when you've dropped that silly attitude.

EDIT: Oh and yes, I was facetious. Doesn't mean it's a non-existing concern though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Your answer doesn't make any sense. "Rewrite the definition file"? Yeah, no shit, but how does that solve anything? CSS doesn't work like that. I'm not talking technical reasons or whatever. It was just a minor remark on the CSS, and sure enough there are ways around it but it's not pretty.

Might not be pretty but it would work wouldn't it?

Rewriting the definition file that loads up the character select screen with redirects that loads up the necessary character model animations and all the code basically displays what's on screen.

All I'm getting at is if Sakurai wanted to he could add as many characters as he wants to a certain degree.

Here you make it sound like adding more then 2 would be an impossible feat.

This is a rookie mistake. No game designer would ever remove the safe space. Todays TVs are still too shitty.The likelyhood of details appearing outside the screens are too large.

Firstly, that was just a quick, super lazy example of how to trim the fat so to speak. Secondly, the Wii U has an OS-level settings option for correcting overscan if someone's "shitty" television doesn't do 1:1 pixel output.

"Super obvious workarounds"? Come back when you know what you're talking about, friend, and when you've dropped that silly attitude.

The obvious workarounds are just silly things like shrinking the vertical space of the character portrait area at the bottom by the size of the icon, or making the icons smaller (and the font size just a smidge smaller). Or you remove the rules stuff at the top and add a tool icon that covers everything. Or you get rid of the character names below the portraits. Or you... there's no shortage of ideas here. The notion that Sakurai is completely married to this menu as THE perfect layout and will limit DLC additions to only two more characters because it's what the UI allows and not because it's all he cares to do is asinine to me.

Beats

This is never happening. Sakurai and crew love their menus too much to ruin them with something like that.

Well, I didn't say it was the most elegant solution. : p I would prefer to have them all together on the CSS. I think the development team is capable of modifying the CSS layout to fit more characters while still being readable, so I don't think it's something to worry about.

I just took a look at the Falco forum on Smashboards and there's so much more discussion now! Hopefully this means people won't sleep on the bird as much. :)

Even had one of my own threads there made outdated and improved upon spectacularly, way to go Falco players!

Vena

I just took a look at the Falco forum on Smashboards and there's so much more discussion now! Hopefully this means people won't sleep on the bird as much. :)

Even had one of my own threads there made outdated and improved upon spectacularly, way to go Falco players!

He's getting exposure finally, lol.

Now we need Kars to inform the world to the glory that is Bowser by winning APEX!

He's getting exposure finally, lol.

Now we need Kars to inform the world to the glory that is Bowser by winning APEX!

I don't think Bowser's going to be winning anything with HOO HAH and Shithead the Fuckhog anytime soon. :/

Anyone wanna 1v1? ID is HarimeNui

OOOOHHHH, so that's what your ID is a reference too. I gotta watch that one of these days.

I wish I could play, but sadly I have other matters to attend to first. :(

Puruzi

Banned
I don't think Bowser's going to be winning anything with HOO HAH and Shithead the Fuckhog anytime soon. :/

OOOOHHHH, so that's what your ID is a reference too. I gotta watch that one of these days.

I wish I could play, but sadly I have other matters to attend to first. :(

Lmfao
Yes, you should totally watch it.

Not with that attitude he won't.

I have no hesitancy with playing versus Sonic mains.

I fucking hate Sonic in this game, almost as much as I fucking hate Marth in every SSB game he's appeared in.

I fucking hate them so much.

SAWNIC SPEED :^)

LET ME TAUNT YOU IN JAPANESE BECAUSE IT MAKES ME SOUND ARROGANT AS FUCK WITHOUT ACTUALLY SOUNDING LIKE IT BECAUSE FUCK YOU THAT'S WHY

WHAT YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD PUNISH ME THINK AGAIN SHITFACE SPIN DASH EVERYDAY LMAOOOOOO

LOL QUIT TRYING TO OUTRANGE ME ASSLICKER TIME FOR A SHIELD BREAKER

MY WHOLE SPINDASHING EXISTENCE GAVE SAKURAI CALCIFIC TENDONITIS BECAUSE FUCK YOU THAT'S WHY

It's straight up bullshit I swear. I have more fun fighting Monkey Nuts, because at least he just makes goofy monkey noises while hoo hah-ing you and he's shit-easy to gimp.

EDIT: Oh wait I forgot I'M SO FUCKING SAFE I TIME OUT GOD DAMN DIDDY KONG ON SMASHVILLE BECAUSE GOTTA GO FAST YOU PIECE OF SHIT

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Eh. Trick to beating Sonic and faster dweebs is waiting for a mistake. If they make one that is. If not you make those openings by baiting them into thinking you'll play a certain way. And then you punch their face.

emb

I don't really find Marth in this game to be that bad at all. Sonic is tough for sure.

Marth has middling speed (in both movements and especially attacks), and he has no projectile. Most of the time when shield breaker gets me, it's just that I didn't react quickly enough. With some more practice against Marth, I feel like I'd be able to dodge or run away almost every time. It also helps a lot to just power shield it. Power shield timing isn't hard if you know when to expect a hit, and you won't take any shield damage.

Though I do get a touch annoyed by every character with a counter, lol. That just from my lack of patience. It happens once or twice, I start spamming grab and empty short hop, and things seem to go pretty well.

Why don't you tell me how you really feel?
That's exactly what I did.

Captain Rage Quit 69
Eh. Trick to beating Sonic and faster dweebs is waiting for a mistake. If they make one that is. If not you make those openings by baiting them into thinking you'll play a certain way. And then you punch their face.
Bruh.

That's kinda what Sonic is supposed to do to you. 'Cept he rolls into your face.
I don't really find Marth in this game to be that bad at all. Sonic is tough for sure.

Marth has middling speed (in both movements and especially attacks), and he has no projectile. Most of the time when shield breaker gets me, it's just that I didn't react quickly enough. With some more practice against Marth, I feel like I'd be able to dodge or run away almost every time. It also helps a lot to just power shield it. Power shield timing isn't hard if you know when to expect a hit, and you won't take any shield damage.

Though I do get a touch annoyed by every character with a counter, lol. That just from my lack of patience. It happens once or twice, I start spamming grab and empty short hop, and things seem to go pretty well.

Lol, I just have feelings from Melee Marth that leaked into here. Hooray for a matchup where literally everything I can do can get outranged! Thanks Doc!

;__;

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, I missed out the DLC discussion here but at least, if they are going to announce any dlc then my gut is telling me that they are going to reveal it at E3.

emb

Lol, I just have feelings from Melee Marth that leaked into here. Hooray for a matchup where literally everything I can do can get outranged! Thanks Doc!
Hehe, I understand. Melee Marth is downright obnoxious to play against. I play as him, and fighting another Marth is one of my least favorite matchups. My friend from back in the day played Doc, and eventually ended up switching characters because of the Marth matchup.

His range was so much longer back then. And having a great dash dance and thus amazing mobility empowered his range a ton.

Hehe, I understand. Melee Marth is downright obnoxious to play against. I play as him, and fighting another Marth is one of my least favorite matchups. My friend from back in the day played Doc, and eventually ended up switching characters because of the Marth matchup.

His range was so much longer back then. And having a great dash dance and thus amazing mobility empowered his range a ton.
I still stick by my man Doc, but it's gotten to the point that I developed a Mario solely to not be hard-countered by Marth. :/
Oi, less go. You host.

Room's up!

Jesus FUCK this is atrocious lag. Let's try again, I don't know how much I am able to tolerate. :/

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wolf with Star Fox U pre-order

#Believe

Wait, actually, with Club Nintendo gone, how would a promotion like that even work...

Chorus Men - Rhythm Heaven 3DS Preorder
Lucas - Mother 3DS
Wolf - Star Fox U
Dixie - Donkey Kong 3D U
Mewtwo - Smash 3DS/U

Also they said that they would do something new after shutting down Club Nintendo.

Sometimes it feels like the connection drops my inputs, and gives you even more. >>;;;

4091862730.png

I've got the ping of the gods, what the fuck is going on here. This is some shit, I tell you hwat.

Top Bottom