• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

that was fun but food is here. I don't have much experience playing with some input delay so a lot of my jabs just went all out. Greninja is my main with no customs but nothing came out like i wanted sometimes >.<. Charzard is just too fun with customs though XD
Regardless thxs for the games ill be down for some more later on. Also your ike and wii fit trainer are scary
Are you wired?

that was fun but food is here. I don't have much experience playing with some input delay so a lot of my jabs just went all out. Greninja is my main with no customs but nothing came out like i wanted sometimes >.<. Charzard is just too fun with customs though XD
Regardless thxs for the games ill be down for some more later on. Also your ike and wii fit trainer are scary
GGs. Yeah, the input lag was heavy. Probably since I'm on the east coast. I was about to ask you on why you were doing full jabs with him. :p Really liked your Charizard and Greninja. Barely get to play against them. And, thanks! It's two of the few I'm working on!

Sometimes, during a stream, I hear a commentator say "Oooo, he didn't DI that" off of something like a back throw that kills. How do they know that?

Ya i am wired. I only get to play locals a few times a month so started to play online. Not a fan of for glory unfortunately. Mustard up the courage to ask gaf since I lurk all day here anyways. I can also record the matched next time.

Cronox

Banned
Doesn't matter.

And... uh... I am not doing too well.

Nah, you did fine. I had to call it at some point, fighting Yoshi for too long a length of time is really demoralizing for me. So hard to punish... I literally cannot believe that you got those couple shield breaks on me in various matches. It's like his down b chains into itself.

Alright, I'm back a little early Cronox. I'll get my stuff set up, let me know when you're ready!

Give me a few minutes and we can go...

Nah, you did fine. I had to call it at some point, fighting Yoshi for too long a length of time is really demoralizing for me. So hard to punish...

Ha, that was after our first three battles, and I lost all three. I posted that right after I self-destructed with a Yoshi Bomb. I never do that, and I did it like three times in our matches.

By the end we were pretty even. Good games. I don't play many Bowsers, especially since not many people here and on For Glory use him. If there is a character I am a pro against, it is Captain Falcon. For Glory has so many Captain Falcons...

You got plenty of punishes in. No matter who I am against, I walk right into shield grabs. And a bunch of your usmashes. Down-B is weird. I can get a straight middle landing with it, and no shield break. A little to the side, and the shield breakers. I don't know if it has to be not perfectly in the middle. Dying from a shield break is better than dying from jumping into a down-b, which is pretty funny when it happens.

What was with that match where you just stood still? You still got a life off of me xD

Good luck against Tipster.

Sometimes, during a stream, I hear a commentator say "Oooo, he didn't DI that" off of something like a back throw that kills. How do they know that?

Take Ness's Bthrow. Ideally you want to DI towards the top corner to give you maximum horizontal distance. If a person is thrown horizontally to the side, not near that corner, that would be considered bad di or "Didn't DI"

Take Ness's Bthrow. Ideally you want to DI towards the top corner to give you maximum horizontal distance. If a person is thrown horizontally to the side, not near that corner, that would be considered bad di or "Didn't DI"
Wait. You can influence the opponent's direction after a throw?

No, the opponent can influence the direction, which is what the commentators are saying. The opponent being thrown didn't DI correctly
Why do I, as the thrown player, want to get "max horizontal distance"? Wouldn't that just kill me earlier. I'm sure I'm misunderstanding you, though.

Why do I, as the thrown player, want to get "max horizontal distance"? Wouldn't that just kill me earlier. I'm sure I'm misunderstanding you, though.

It's quite simple. The more angled your trajectory, the longer it takes for you to get there.

A straight left and right trajectory to the blast zone is closer than an angled trajectory towards the top left or top right corner of the blast zone.

So when they say the person being thrown didn't DI, they are saying that they didn't DI towards a corner.

It's quite simple. The more angled your trajectory, the longer it takes for you to get there.

A straight left and right trajectory to the blast zone is closer than an angled trajectory towards the top left or top right corner of the blast zone.

So when they say the person being thrown didn't DI, they are saying that they didn't DI towards a corner.
But when Ness throws me, I go up-right. Wouldn't I want to DI down-left?

Boney

Banned
I don't understand it either. I thought with a throw, you always wanted to DI in the opposite direction you're being thrown.
Not the opposite, but perpendicular to the trajectory you're thrown. For example if you're thrown completely horizontal, you'd best hold down so it arcs to the south giving you more distance to cover before hitting the blast zone

Wouldn't that be toward Ness? I thought DI influenced which direction you are going, so DIing toward the blast zone is just going to get me killed sooner.

I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. Ness bthrows you to the right. Ideally where do you want your character to fly? The answer is the top right corner. That doesn't mean hold the control stick forward

I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. Ness bthrows you to the right. Ideally where do you want your character to fly? The answer is the top right corner. That doesn't mean hold the control stick forward
Why wouldn't I hold bottom-left, though? Or even just up? That's the part I'm not getting. Why hold right?

Not the opposite, but perpendicular to the trajectory you're thrown. For example if you're thrown completely horizontal, you'd best hold down so it arcs to the south giving you more distance to cover before hitting the blast zone

Oh, I guess I have been doing it wrong this whole time. I prefer vectoring. It was so much easier to understand, and that is probably what I have continued trying to do.

Why wouldn't I hold bottom-left, though? Or even just up? That's the part I'm not getting. Why hold right?

I never said hold right. Your original question asked how commentators know when a person doesn't di, and the answer was based on the trajectory they are tossed. What direction you press on the control stick is dependent on the throw and where you want to be thrown, but the original question has nothing to do with the control stick. The commentators just watch the trajectory

Karsticles, I think you may be thinking that vectoring is still a thing. If I am being thrown right, holding left doesn't really do anything. It doesn't slow the momentum. It's more about vertical direction. If you are thrown straight up, it's more about changing your horizontal direction.

I never said hold right. Your original question asked how commentators know when a person doesn't di, and the answer was based on the trajectory they are tossed. What direction you press on the control stick is dependent on the throw and where you want to be thrown, but the original question has nothing to do with the control stick. The commentators just watch the trajectory
This is why it was confusing:
When you say you are "DI"ing toward the top corner, that makes it sound like I should be holding the corner instead of just up. Otherwise you could just say "DI up".

Anyway, thanks for explaining.

GGs. I need to take a break... Another time.
That Megaman matchup is demoralizing.

We had some shakey ones versus Twilt and RQ, because I kept setting Bowser on fire :p, but if he's up to it I'm game.

what set?
Any Thoron (all are good)
Fire Wall (Arcfire)
Distance Nosferatu
Default Up B (though I think the angled one might be something you would like - have you tried it?)

Make 3 sets. One for each Arcfire variant, and let's experiment with all 3 to find the best option. Me running in to shield while you use the explosive one might be good, too.

Cronox

Banned
Hmm, I don't have problems with Yoshi. Did you record any matches?

No, I only ever think to record matches where I just destroyed my opponent. Probably should be doing the opposite. I'll save some the next time. On the plus side, I have enough material for a pretty good Jigglypuff combo video...

Top Bottom