• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but TTYD is the worst selling Paper Mario in Japan and Sticker Star is #1?

I-I don't understand you sometimes Japan.

It's on a handheld console, you know. We still need a proper Paper Mario game on WiiU, but IS may be too busy with FEXSMT and project S.T.E.A.M.

What are the odds of them redoing the models for trophies from N64 and DS games? The 3DS version just has straight model rips and it looks really jarring to have something from KI:U next to the Lakitu trophy (The model was clearly just from Mario 64 DS).

not very good, that actually requires extra effort

Drago

Still sorely disappointed in a lack of Orange Yoshi but at least I can use one in Mario Kart. Black Yoshi is still amazing and was long overdue (lack of a White Yoshi is pretty weird though)

Yoshi is also now my main in both Mario Kart and Smash Bros :D

Caladrius

Install bases are important to consider with those sales numbers. Considering the 3DS was significantly more successful than the gamecube it wouldn't be crazy to say that they've all been similarly successful. They might go for the Sticker Star route but it's always possible that they try to go back to an RPG, provided there's no executive meddling.

not very good, that actually requires extra money

Corrected.

Kinsei

Banned
not very good, that actually requires extra effort

:( I guess that explains why every Metroid and Paper Mario trophy I have are all from Other M and Sticker Star.

I have to wonder why they chose that model for Lakitu. He's in NSMB2 and NSMB:U so it's not like they didn't have a more recent model to use.

Guys, I can feel it in my bones. Ridley pic tonight.

People fish for avatar quotes now?

I need these Miis. :O

Also, I think Sticker Star ended up becoming the best selling Paper Mario game in Japan (and sold great worldwide in general). Don't quote me on that one though, I may not be remembering things right, but yeah... makes me worried that future PM games will follow in it's footsteps which I definitely don't want. :(

I wonder if Paper Mario could be feasible as an alternate skin of Mario. Probably not, but just thinking about it...

Golnei

Install bases are important to consider with those sales numbers. Considering the 3DS was significantly more successful than the gamecube it wouldn't be crazy to say that they've all been similarly successful. They might go for the Sticker Star route but it's always possible that they try to go back to an RPG, provided there's no executive meddling.

It comes across the same way to me - despite the wildly varying install base of the N64, GC, Wii and 3DS, having the series stay solidly in the 400-500k range means no style is favoured over the other. Though seeing as the cited source for Sticker Star's change in direction was something as inconsequential as survey results, hopefully they take note of the concerns people voiced this time.

I wonder if Paper Mario could be feasible as an alternate skin of Mario. Probably not, but just thinking about it...

A few have been done for Brawl, so it's technically possible, but it'd be a shame to waste his moveset potential.

:( I guess that explains why every Metroid and Paper Mario trophy I have are all from Other M and Sticker Star.

Considering everything else that has to be modeled, I'll take the model rips over draining resources that could have gone to items, ATs and enemies - which in themselves have done a much better job of representing a wider variety of series than Brawl. It is a shame that series like Metroid will get skewed representation in that case; though I guess it can't be helped, seeing as Other M was the first 3D game in the series.

rekameohs

Banned
seeing as Other M was the first 3D game in the series.

tumblr_m1iy7wdQjX1qf39wc.jpg

Just thought I'd share my opinions on where Smash will go next, in terms of the pre-existing playable franchises. My thoughts on Mario and Yoshi Series first.
Great write up.

My thoughts:

Mario: I don't think there will be any cuts next time. Bowser Jr/Koopalings and Rosalina are very popular and have unique movesets. And I don't think Dr. Mario was added in late, the other "new" clones have pretty much the exact same moves where Doc has pills, tornado, I think he was always planned which since if they wanted another clone at the end, Alph would be the easiest since they already made him. Makes me think he'll be a lock next time but who knows?

The only new characters I see getting in are Paper Mario and a Toad variation. I think either Captain Toad or Paper Mario may be DLC. Guess we'll see. (Or both. Too many Mario characters be damned lol.)

Yoshi: I think the only viable newcomer would be Kamek. And I love YI and love Kamek so I'd want her. Sadly, I don't think Yoshi will ever get any new characters. I also disagree that Yoshi should be considered a Mario character. His games are completely different from Mario games. I've never considered Yoshi a Mario character, he just appears in the spinoffs and in the main games sometime. But his own games are completely different from Mario games outside of being 2D platformers.

Will wait for more!

Just woke up ten minutes ago after going to bed two hours ago. Kind of want to stay up to see Pic of the Day considering today's news but I should really get some sleep as I need to study tomorrow morning.

Mory Dunz

Do you guys think the Wii U "Adventure Mode" will be revealed in a:

-POTD, but a blowout with more than 1-2 pics obviously and site update I suppose.

-Or in the next Wii U direct

I'm starting to lean towards the second option...which makes it feel like it'll take a bit longer to be revealed.

Do you guys think the Wii U "Adventure Mode" will be revealed in a:

-POTD, but a blowout with more than 1-2 pics obviously and site update I suppose.

-Or in the next Wii U direct

I'm starting to lean towards the second option...which makes it feel like it'll take a bit longer to be revealed.

I mean, it's a month and some change away.

It doesn't really matter what they hold back or reveal now.

I sort of have a feeling a Melee-style Adventure Mode will come back with maybe a few 'Smash' themed levels with the SSE enemies left over, if only to put all those enemies they made for Smash Run to good use in the Wii U version.

Just hope it doesn't suffer from the same problem Melee's did where after the first few impressive levels, it more or less turns into a less random Classic Mode.

So, all of the veterans were built from the ground up in this game right?

How long do you think that took? It's pretty impressive they made that many characters, if that was the case.

Mory Dunz

I sort of have a feeling a Melee-style Adventure Mode will come back with maybe a few 'Smash' themed levels with the SSE enemies left over, if only to put all those enemies they made for Smash Run to good use in the Wii U version.

Just hope it doesn't suffer from the same problem Melee's did where after the first few impressive levels, it more or less turns into a less random Classic Mode.

That's what I'm thinking.

Or...it'll be something completely weird. And be completely hated or loved. And become the most divisive issue in Smash to date. Even more than LucIceTwoLf tripping.

Dryk

How long do you think that took? It's pretty impressive they made that many characters, if that was the case.
I know that that's what they said but considering how many animations and sounds are reused I doubt it's actually the case

This is why I'll be okay if they used this game as a base for the next game. I can't see them recreating the close to 50 characters plus probable DLC and then make another 10 new fighters on top of that.

Also with Sakurai's almost certainly wanting to work on something else it'll be another six years before a release based on the current way which will probably be past the half-way point of Nintendo's next console.

I rather they just take this one and make graphical improvements and mercenary gameplay changes and put their energies towards adding more niche characters like Ray Mk-II, Wonder Red and Chibi-Robo.

Golnei

Development started from a ported version of Brawl; it's also the reason behind the limited selection of past stages. We even got several PoTDs pointing out little animation details changed from the characters' Brawl versions during development (Link, ZSS and Pit in particular) - with some of the original animations being present in earlier media for the game. And of course there's the remnants of the alloys, Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, ICs, Lucas and Wolf in the game's files, along with Subspace Emissary-exclusive bosses.

Though even if none of the veterans were started from scratch, there were an impressive amount of animation, effect and model tweaks beyond the bare minimum implemented when you consider the roster's size.

Really disappointed in the final smashes. They kept all the clone ones the same and they changed a few of my favorite. Kirby's new one is a lot more powerful but I miss spawning a ton of items with the old one. I also noticed that every crate/barrel/party ball never has more than 2 items in it. I loved King DeDeDe's old final smash as well but that obviously got changed because of the 3DS hardware.

Edit: Wrong thread. X_x

Masked Man

I said wow
I was bored and looked at the CD offer.
Red is the 3DS version and Blue is the Wii U version.
Blue disc has The Great Cave Offensive as a song listed.
So yeah Sakurai show us more pictures of the Great Cave Offensive level!

I can't believe it was staring us in the face this whole time! (Interestingly, the JP campaign page still only lists example tracks from the 3DS version.) Really looking forward to see how they handle the Great Cave Offensive in Smash!

Is the music track, "Great Cave Offensive", gonna be this? Or maybe a medley of themes from the mode? I'd be surprised if the stage doesn't have this.

I envision it being a medley more along these lines. Of course, with five tracks per stage, I'm sure we'll see just about every bit of music related to GCO in the game!

I recall Masked Man mentioning it was announced as an arrangement during the Press Start Concert in Japan, although I can't remember the name of the arranger...?

*initiates Masked Man signal*

Yep, that's it! She didn't specify which FE Gaiden track she (Michiru Yamane) would be arranging, but I think it's safe to say Battle 1 is our winner.

Fitting Epic Yarn music? well I'd absolutely smash to Outer Rings.

I'm personally pulling for this Butter Building arrangement or an arrangement of Secret Island!

woodland

Off Topic but:

For the Smash Bros Bundle on Amazon, was it in stock before or has it always been out of stock? Can't remember and wanna order it.

Ozium

I definitely think there will be something and no it's not the CD offer or the Amiibos.

When you connect to the Wii U version the little transfer bar turns into a cardboard box and Snake pops out, saying "Kept you waiting, huh?"

This is how you unlock Snake.

zlCfzShYIZMwk-LmWI

Pic of the day. The Flying Men that appear in the Magicant stage will ally with the first fighter that touches them. Watch out for their flying cross-chop attacks! They also accumulate damage, and a grave gets erected every time a Flying Man falls in battle. And of course, only up to five Flying Men can appear at a time.

Richie

And here I was thinking that by owning Smash 3DS I'd be able to keep myself from checking the POTD every night and enter a total media blackout. They just need to announce a Direct for me to betray those goals entirely.

Truly, nothing stops this train, not even reaching its first destination.

Phil S.

Banned
I need these Miis. :O

Also, I think Sticker Star ended up becoming the best selling Paper Mario game in Japan (and sold great worldwide in general). Don't quote me on that one though, I may not be remembering things right, but yeah... makes me worried that future PM games will follow in it's footsteps which I definitely don't want. :(

Well, maybe it means Paper Mario games will have as awesome a soundtrack as Sticker Star, then? That's what it means, right? ...Right? D:

(I didn't really care for any other PM soundtrack except the N64 original and a small amount of the GCN sequel.)

Neiteio

And here I was thinking that by owning Smash 3DS I'd be able to keep myself from checking the POTD every night and enter a total media blackout. They just need to announce a Direct for me to betray those goals entirely.

Truly, nothing stops this train, not even reaching its first destination.
*A soot-stained train operator rushes up to Sakurai*

"Sakurai-san, we left the station but forgot the brakes!"

*Sakurai laughs*

"We don't need brakes where we're going"

Het_Nkik

zlCfzShYIZMwk-LmWI

Pic of the day. The Flying Men that appear in the Magicant stage will ally with the first fighter that touches them. Watch out for their flying cross-chop attacks! They also accumulate damage, and a grave gets erected every time a Flying Man falls in battle. And of course, only up to five Flying Men can appear at a time.

I don't like the wording on that last sentence. It's misleading.

Kuusoge

Off Topic but:

For the Smash Bros Bundle on Amazon, was it in stock before or has it always been out of stock? Can't remember and wanna order it.

Yea it was in stock today. I ordered it this morning when the release date was announced. It's a good thing that I did now that it's unavailable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom