• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

J@hranimo

Banned
I see what you're doing (again) Sakurai...

You're padding updates to stretch out between now and the next direct or blowout of Wii U info.

but it's fine cause we all have Smash 3DS to keep us occupied.

Richie

*A soot-stained train operator rushes up to Sakurai*

"Sakurai-san, we left the station but forgot the brakes!"

*Sakurai laughs*

"We don't need brakes where we're going"

If GAF had an option to like posts, Neiteio, you've have gotten dozens of likes from me alone.

Moonlight

Banned
Mandatory.

Oh God this gif. :lol

What series is this?
tumblr_ncmaktNPeJ1spgekvo1_500.jpg

(it's called Barakamon, one of the best shows of last season!)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, I pictured the Flying Men as buff bird men who wrestles enemies like there's no tomorrow.

Then I saw the official art of them and they look like washed out carny folk.

Neiteio

You know, I picture the Flying Men as buff bird men who wrestles enemies like there's no tomorrow.

Do you mean to tell me that you, of all people, imagined something as a hyper-muscular animal-man?

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

Hatchtag

Banned
Yup, should've said that only five Flying Men can appear in one match.
There is never more than one Flying Man in battle at once.

If each fighter could have a Flying Man fighting alongside them, that would've been so much better. Still insanely cheap and distracting, but at least not insanely cheap for just one fighter.

Golnei

You know, I pictured the Flying Men as buff bird men who wrestles enemies like there's no tomorrow.

The official art differs from the sprite in other ways as well - your interpretation probably makes more sense.

69-34679.png

tumblr_mhs75nxFfi1ri9kyzo1_500.png

Boss Doggie

Do you mean to tell me that you, of all people, imagined something as a hyper-muscular animal-man?

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

It's the sprite.

They look like tall athletic folk.

Then the official make them look like tiny people with balding problems.

Flyingman.png

I'll take my "pictured" version thank you very much :p

random25

Does beating Flying Man makes it switch sides the next time it respawns? I remember beating it once and then after respawning I just noticed that it's attacking my opponents. Dunno if that's the case or I accidentally touches it at some point during respawn.

Kangi

I once got the bright idea to set a Motion-Sensor Bomb where Flying Man spawns to automatically trigger him (didn't know at the time that items don't activate him).

The Flying Man spawned, exploded, and died instantly. I still feel bad.

Omzz

Does beating Flying Man makes it switch sides the next time it respawns? I remember beating it once and then after respawning I just noticed that it's attacking my opponents. Dunno if that's the case or I accidentally touches it at some point during respawn.

you have to touch him each time. he likes it

Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder what Sakurai's Mii Fighter is like.

Maybe a Swordfighter in a business suit, w/ max attack, speed, and defense.

That would be the perfect final boss in Multi-Man Smash.

Neiteio

I once got the bright idea to set a Motion-Sensor Bomb where Flying Man spawns to automatically trigger him (didn't know at the time that items don't activate him).

The Flying Man spawned, exploded, and died instantly. I still feel bad.
Imagine if they tried that in real life.

"We need the locals to side with our military instead of defecting to the insurgents. Quick, plant a landmine outside their door, when they step on it they'll join our team."

zlCfzShYIZMwk-LmWI

Pic of the day. The Flying Men that appear in the Magicant stage will ally with the first fighter that touches them. Watch out for their flying cross-chop attacks! They also accumulate damage, and a grave gets erected every time a Flying Man falls in battle. And of course, only up to five Flying Men can appear at a time.
Thanks a lot but this update is late Sakurai, I was locked in an endless frenzy of flying men yesterday.

Golnei

Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder what Sakurai's Mii Fighter is like.

Maybe a Swordfighter in a business suit, w/ max attack, speed, and defense.

That would be the perfect final boss in Multi-Man Smash.

If Event Matches still existed, it would have been appropriate for one to put you up against a Sakurai / Dark Pit team. But it doesn't really seem like him to play with his image so much in the actual game - his ego manifests in different ways compared to Kojima and Kamiya.

Masked Man

I said wow
zlCfzShYIZMwk-LmWI

Pic of the day. The Flying Men that appear in the Magicant stage will ally with the first fighter that touches them. Watch out for their flying cross-chop attacks! They also accumulate damage, and a grave gets erected every time a Flying Man falls in battle. And of course, only up to five Flying Men can appear at a time.

Yaaaaaay! I love everything about Magicant—the music, the background, the layout, the overall aesthetic. It's such a beautiful homage to
two entries in
the Mother series. I also love how the Flying Men tear shit UP.

I don't like the wording on that last sentence. It's misleading.

Yeah, clearly whoever (mis)translated that never played Mother/EarthBound. Otherwise, they would know what Sakurai was referencing. /rant

Speaking of bird men...

407.jpg

Hahaha, brilliant.

ugoo18

Is this a case of where less is more?

Not sure what you mean.

Hasn't the supposed leak been accurate for 3 stages outright and then 1 sort of (The Game and Wario Stage) and the 1 strike against it stage wise was because it named the stage Great Fox rather than Orbital Gate.

EDIT: Wait i fucked up..... nvm lol

If one Flying Man is defeated another will spawn soon after. It will be on the side of whoever touches it first.
After the fifth Flying Man has been defeated there will spawn no more.
It's a small nod to Earthbound where one Flying Man out of five would join Ness in Magicant, where he has to fight all on his own (and the enemies there were HARD AS HELL). If one Flying Man died there you could get another one until you used up all five of them, after which no one can join you anymore.
For each Flying Man who died a small gravestone will be set in front of their house where you recruit them. Just like the grave stones in the Magicant stage of SSB4.

Magicant is by far my favorite stage in SSB4 just for all the Earthbound and Mother references.
Though the best song is Bath Time (Vocal Mix) for the Nintendogs stage.

Boss Doggie

Not sure what you mean.

Hasn't the supposed leak been accurate for 3 stages outright and then 1 sort of (The Game and Wario Stage) and the 1 strike against it stage wise was because it named the stage Great Fox rather than Orbital Gate.

EDIT: Wait i fucked up..... nvm lol

It was already disproved with the kirby stage

The Tower of Smash leak claimed Event Matches aren't in the Wii U game and since it's looking like that leak is fake, I REALLY hope they're in. I love them. They would have been so perfect for the 3DS version but oh well.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Would be lame if the Xeno medley was just the 3 3DS tracks and none of them are remixes, and Gaur plains is shortened so you never get to hear the full track anyway. Which sucks.

Man, I'm kind of starting to worry that my playing the 3DS version nonstop is slightly de-hyping me for the Wii U version.

I'm still hyped for it and I know it's going to be the definitive version, don't get me wrong, but the Wii U version is definitely losing just a bit of its luster to me. This is even more true now since the Tower of Smash rumor has (probably) been proven fake and those extra Wii U launch characters are looking less and less likely, unless Spainkiller/his source is legit.

If there aren't any more characters, I'm starting to think it would've been a good idea for Sakurai to hold back a few of the ones we have for the Wii U version. Not that the roster isn't brilliant, but the Wii U version needs something major besides stages to set it apart, I think...

KHlover

Banned
Man, I'm kind of starting to worry that my playing the 3DS version nonstop is slightly de-hyping me for the Wii U version.

I'm still hyped for it and I know it's going to be the definitive version, don't get me wrong, but the Wii U version is definitely losing just a bit of its luster to me. This is even more true now since the Tower of Smash rumor has (probably) been proven fake and those extra Wii U launch characters are looking less and less likely, unless Spainkiller/his source is legit.

If there aren't any more characters, I'm starting to think it would've been a good idea for Sakurai to hold back a few of the ones we have for the Wii U version. Not that the roster isn't brilliant, but the Wii U version needs something major besides stages to set it apart, I think...

We literally don't have any information on singleplayer modes for the WiiU version. There's got to be some mode that sets both versions apart.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Well I think there will be more characters. Except they will just be trophies, more stage hazards, and boss characters. Sakurai hasn't said too much about the Wii U version besides the Amiibo cross functionality and that it has different modes.

And while I think DLC is likely given Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, Mario Golf and so on, I wouldn't expect it until maybe 3-4 months down the road after release.

Boss Doggie

Would be lame if the Xeno medley was just the 3 3DS tracks and none of them are remixes, and Gaur plains is shortened so you never get to hear the full track anyway. Which sucks.

Well, we know for a fact that there's this Gaur Plains remix that's not played in the 3DS. It's probably the Xenoblade Medley since the remix is accompanied by Mechanical Rhythm.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Don't worry, we will get new characters, you just have to adjust your expectations from Ridley and K Rool to Miku and Haruka.

random25

I guess I'm the opposite of how you feel. After playing Smash 3DS and feeling the game and seeing how great some people do at the game currently makes me more excited with what I can do in Smash once I get better controls and screen on the Wii U version. I'm very much sure we'll get more modes on the Wii U version. We just have to have our expectations in check with what kind of new content we'll get.

We literally don't have any information on singleplayer modes for the WiiU version. There's got to be some mode that sets both versions apart.

Oh, absolutely. I'm 100% certain there will be. I just hope it will be enough to bring the hype for the Wii U version specifically so soon after the 3DS version was released!

Well I think there will be more characters. Except they will just be trophies, more stage hazards, and boss characters. Sakurai hasn't said too much about the Wii U version besides the Amiibo cross functionality and that it has different modes.

And while I think DLC is likely given Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, Mario Golf and so on, I wouldn't expect it until maybe 3-4 months down the road after release.

Yeah, but will more non-playable characters be enough to hype the Wii U version? I hope so.

I also agree that DLC is pretty likely but won't be coming for quite awhile.

I guess I'm the opposite of how you feel. After playing Smash 3DS and feeling the game and seeing how great some people do at the game currently makes me more excited with what I can do in Smash once I get better controls and screen on the Wii U version. I'm very much sure we'll get more modes on the Wii U version. We just have to have our expectations in check with what kind of new content we'll get.

There is that, definitely! I'm not having as much trouble with the 3DS controls as some, but I am certainly excited to see how much my game will improve once I can play with the GameCube controller (with Mega Man especially!). You make a very good point with keeping expectations in check with what kind of new content we'll get.

Don't worry, we will get new characters, you just have to adjust your expectations from Ridley and K Rool to Miku and Haruka.

I'm not sure who Haruka is, but I would gladly take Miku over both Ridley and K. Rool. #shotsfired

I'm not kidding, though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't understand why people starting to feel that they are getting dehype because of 3DS?

Pro
Better controllers
Better graphic
Bigger Screen
Batch of awesome stages
More music (5 music per stage)
Lagless Local Play (hopefully ;p)

Con
Not portable
Smash Run

Hope
More stages to knock our socks off
Better online mode (Wired tho)
More single contents

Heck, I'm not going to let 3DS to taint my hype for console Smash. In fact, 3DS made me even more exciting for Smash U. They look so amazing for 3DS so imagine that for Smash U. There are many things that we don't know for Wii U version.

Bring the ammos, Sakurai and we will see if it's worthy to be hype or not!

I would actually prefer Miku to Ridley and K. Rool honestly.
Also, I have to agree about 3DS should not make you less hyped for Wii U. If it is because of characters, then I will give that to you because the characters are not changing between versions. However, the Wii U should have Solo and Smash from 3DS along with a new mode to replace Smash Run. Also, Stadium could be expanded to include "Break the Targets" and such since those games are hidden within Smash Run. Heck, the Great Cave Offensive level has me more hyped than any 3DS stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom