• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Well, he has the Wind Waker so yes. Pretty obvious he's not ST Link.
True, but he also has a Spirit Tracks stage in the 3DS version. I think he's meant to represent all Toon Link games. But yeah, they'd probably have a wind reference in his title.

Golnei

In the Wii U version, unfortunately. That said, I don't think TP Link look that good even in TP.

The facial animation wasn't the best...

tumblr_meqrwqTQ9I1rnmjr5o1_500.gif

I'll post clean images later.

My guess for everyone's title:

• Mario: The one and only
  • Luigi: The eternal understudy
  • Peach: The dainty princess
  • Bowser: The Koopa king
  • Yoshi: The hungry dinosaur
  • Rosalina & Luma: The queen of space
  • Bowser Jr.: The Koopa king's ornery offspring
  • Wario: The greedy microgame maker (sigh)
  • Mr. Game & Watch: The 2D warrior of old
  • Donkey Kong: The king of the jungle
  • Diddy Kong: One tough Kong
  • Link: Hero chosen by the Gods
  • Zelda: The Hyrulean monarch
  • Sheik: Mysterious ninja
  • Ganondorf: The resurrected king of evil
  • Toon Link: Swordsman of the Great Sea
  • Samus: Bounty hunter extraordinaire
  • Zero Suit Samus: Whip-weilding warrior
  • Pit: The steadfast angel
  • Palutena: The shining goddess
  • Marth: The Hero King
  • Ike: The Radiant Hero
  • Robin: The amnesiac tactician
  • Kirby: The Dream Land hero
  • King Dedede: The self-appointed ruler
  • Meta Knight: The masked swordsman
  • Little Mac: A small but great champ
  • Fox: The vulpine starfighter
  • Falco: The avian hothead ("Fox's brash wingman" doesn't jive with me, relies too much on another character)
  • Pikachu: The electric mouse Pokémon
  • Charizard: The fiery dragon Pokémon
  • Lucario: The Aura Pokémon
  • Jigglypuff: The balloon Pokémon
  • Greninja: The amphibian ninja
  • Duck Hunt: The old-school hunting crew
  • R.O.B.: The robot with the scorching beam
  • Ness: The PSI-powered youth
  • Captain Falcon: The invincible F-Zero pilot
  • Villager: (I... have nothing for this guy. Maybe some kind of Mayor pun?)
  • Olimar: The Hocotatian astronaut
  • Wii Fit Trainer: The fitness fiend
  • Dr. Mario: The knock-out doc
  • Dark Pit: The flawed clone of Pit
  • Lucina: Hero from a doomed future
  • Shulk: True heir to the Monado
  • Pac-Man: The yellow dot-muncher
  • Mega Man: The Blue Bomber
  • Sonic: The Blue Blur
  • Mii Fighters: The custom challenger
A lot of those are wayyyy too long. "Bounty Hunter Extraordinaire" barely fits. Also, none of them have "The", which you incorrectly added to DK. I doubt any of them will have "The" because it adds nothing and takes up space. Stuff like adding "of Pit" to Dark Pits is really unnecessary too, and could use some editing. I do like some of your ideas though (Mario is great), even if even the good ones have parts that should be taken out ("King of Evil")

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Technically N64/Melee Link isn't OoT Link despite the similar model as OoT Link doesn't use the boomerang at that age. Think of it like Soul Calibur II, he looks similar to OoT Link in that game, but he isn't OoT Link.

Also more technically, he's a figurine that represents the idea of Link rather than a specific Link so a general title like "Courageous Hero" is far more apt than a moniker that belongs to just one of the Links.

Dimmle

Technically N64/Melee Link isn't OoT Link despite the similar model as OoT Link doesn't use the boomerang at that age. Think of it like Soul Calibur II, he looks similar to OoT Link in that game, but he isn't OoT Link.

Whatever you need to say to keep those games free of toilet water, man.

Its a new leak time. This one is from somewhere on the internet:

1 mode - smash world
2 downloadable content - rusty's smash shop for wii u
3 smash shop - stages
4 mode - stage builder
5 smash shop - custom stages - friends
6 smash shop - custom stages - random
7 smash shop - custom moves
8 downloadable content - rusty's smash shop for 3ds
9 smash shop - characters
10 smash shop - character pack one - veterans - nov 12
11 smash shop - character pack two - best of friends - jan 1
12 balance patches for 3ds
13 character ranking survey
14 stage ranking survey
15 stage - bowser's castle
16 stage - pirate homeworld
17 stage - hades (interior)
18 stage - mt. dedede
19 stage NES TV
20 stage endless ocean
21 stages - mystery of pyrosphere
22 stages - mystery of guar plains
23 stages - mystery of hades (interior)
24 mode - orders
25 mode - master orders
26 mode - crazy orders
27 smash shop - modes
28 1000+ trophies
29 smash shop - special trophies
30 smash shop - music
31 custom final smashes
32 mode - custom moves in for fun
33 mode - custom moves in for glory
33 newcomer trailer - lets go hunting
34 gameplay - duck hunt
35 mode - masterpieces
36 mode - chronicle
37 mode - recommendations
38 share replays with friends
39 share custom stages with friends
40 share mii fighters with friends
41 newcomer trailer - like father like son
42 gameplay - bowser jr
43 assist trophy - tharja
44 assist trophy - isaac
45 assist trophy - anthony higgs
46 assist trophy - king k. rool
47 assist trophy - tabuu
48 the future of super smash bros.
49 winter 2014-fall 2015 downloadable content schedule
50 newcomer teaser trailer - the final showdown
So what do you think? Would you be hapoy with this? Personally, Isaac alone makes it fake. Isaac is a handheld only series come on leakers. Use common sense! I do like the idea of Rusty selling you DLC. Hopefully they do that and we can haggle him down lol.
Honestly think a R.O.B stage should just take place on a giant R.O.B., who moves around the Stack-Em blocks as platforms.
OMG. I totally want this now. Sakurai please, ROB and DH deserve their own stages in one of the games!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

So what do you think? Would you be hapoy with this? Personally, Isaac alone makes it fake. Isaac is a handheld only series come on leakers. Use common sense! I do like the idea of Rusty selling you DLC. Hopefully they do that and we can haggle him down lol.

OMG. I totally want this now. Sakurai please, ROB and DH deserve their own stages in one of the games!

From somewhere? I still don't understand why you wouldn't being specific where you found the rumor form.

It came from GameFaqs. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70390059

how did you not use The Hero of time?
Because Twilight Princess Link isn't the Hero of Time, Ocarina of Time Link is.

They'll probably call Link "The Hero of Legend." BAM, represent all Links in one.
I believe I was going to go with that at first, but went with the appellation given to Twilight Princess Link instead. (Granted, the fan nickname "Hero of Light" is a lot less wordy...)

Question is what to call Toon Link. They can probably get away with "Hero of the Winds."
Also tempted to use that one, but went with what Brawl called him instead.

A lot of those are wayyyy too long. "Bounty Hunter Extraordinaire" barely fits. Also, none of them have "The", which you incorrectly added to DK. I doubt any of them will have "The" because it adds nothing and takes up space. Stuff like adding "of Pit" to Dark Pits is really unnecessary too, and could use some editing. I do like some of your ideas though (Mario is great), even if even the good ones have parts that should be taken out ("King of Evil")
Most of the ones you're complaining about are literally taken from the most-recently-made "you unlocked <X>" messages, FWIW.

Tabuu as an assist trophy? I can tell you right now, he needs to be nerfed.

georly

50 newcomer teaser trailer - the final showdown

What would the final showdown imply? Which character?

Not that I believe that leak, but Tharja being an assist trophy might be connected to her trophy's exclusion. (I doubt it's the ESRB, otherwise only the NA version is required to cut her trophy, not all of them)

Maybe they had to cut her assist trophy from the 3DS version due to limitations and thus removed her trophy for the sake of consistency? idk. Either way I doubt she's an AT anyway.

Durden77

I think it's kind of weird how much focus Sakurai is putting on the arcade version of Punch Out, when the NES game is obviously the one most people remember. It'd kinda be like focusing on Mario Bros. Arcade rather than Super Mario Bros.

Maybe that's why Mac in this game and all the general Punch Out stuff doesn't pull on my nostalgia heartstrings as much as I'd like. Awesome idea for the scoreboard though.

I think it's kind of weird how much focus Sakurai is putting on the arcade version of Punch Out, when the NES game is obviously the one most people remember. It'd kinda be like focusing on Mario Bros. Arcade rather than Super Mario Bros.

Maybe that's why Mac in this game and all the general Punch Out stuff doesn't pull on my nostalgia heartstrings as much as I'd like. Awesome idea for the scoreboard though.
I was under the impression that Punch Out Arcade was relatively well known in Japan compared to the others.

Mac's representation in this game is weird in general, imo. Veeery exaggerated and hyped up boxing (as opposed to comical and simple in Punch Out) and also looks really serious and realistic when he's always been cartoony.

I don't really mind too much, to be honest, but definitely not what I wanted out of the character.

Mac's representation in this game is weird in general, imo. Veeery exaggerated and hyped up boxing (as opposed to comical and simple in Punch Out) and also looks really serious and realistic when he's always been cartoony.

I don't really mind too much, to be honest, but definitely not what I wanted out of the character.
Yeah, I'd agree. It's still fun to punch people though, so I play as him. It seems weird when Doc Louis shows up though, because Mac doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's tolerate him in this game.

Durden77

I was under the impression that Punch Out Arcade was relatively well known in Japan compared to the others.

Maybe so, but still it obviously had the most impact when Mike Tyson's Punch Out was released, even if that impact was primarily in the Americas. I doubt many if any JPN players remember the arcade machine as nearly as fondly as the millions that remember the NES game.

This sums it up nicely. He was my most wanted newcomer so I'm glad that he's playable and repped in any capacity, but it's not what I wanted or even expected. I don't enjoy his presence as much as I'd like to. He's just not quite the Little Mac I know.

Kinda feel the same way about Duck Hunt, but that's a different story.

-Horizon-

Not that I believe that leak, but Tharja being an assist trophy might be connected to her trophy's exclusion. (I doubt it's the ESRB, otherwise only the NA version is required to cut her trophy, not all of them)

Maybe they had to cut her assist trophy from the 3DS version due to limitations and thus removed her trophy for the sake of consistency? idk. Either way I doubt she's an AT anyway.

Tharja needs to stay out
And put in Cherche with Minerva instead

SapphireZora

Neo Member
No calling to the night is a sad day for us all.

Being new here I haven't been able to point out my disappointment that Snake isn't in Smash 4. I had a great time with him in Brawl.

Ironically I'd never played a Metal Gear game before the announcement trailer he showed up in. So I was like "Who is this guy and what is he doing in Smash?" but before Brawl came out, I picked up Twin Snakes for GC and quite enjoyed it, so I got MGS2 and MGS3, which led to me picking up MGS4 on launch day. Obviously I ended up becoming a fan of Snake and the Metal Gear series.

Calling to the Night and Snake Eater are fantastic tracks. They'll be sorely missed.

I'll also say that my sister is incredibly bummed about Snake's absence as he, Marth, and Link were her go-tos in Brawl. So we're two fellow Snake fans here that miss our gruff-voiced, bandana-wearing bud. Thought I'd let our voices be heard and added to those that wish he was back.

kunonabi

Don't believe the leak either but I would love to have Rusty in charge of a DLC shop, especially if we could still haggle with him.

You stripped me of my identity. For that you must die.
You still have some identity left - you have Pratt's face on that skeleton!
Do you want to see it gone?
Are you really saying that this piece is somehow worse than 25m? Why?
I wish Spirit Tracks Link was a costume.
Pajamas Link is the true alt we need.
Do you really feel the need to post every single fake leak you see?

Golnei

Pajamas Link is the true alt we need.

Not even getting a Hero's New Clothes texture swap was unforgivable, especially after they thrust that Skyloft abomination onto us. I never thought I'd be so desperate for a DLC costume. Even if it's standalone. And paid. And still just a texture swap.

georly

Do you really feel the need to post every single fake leak you see?

I need fake leaks to live, they are my fuel that keeps me running.

Why not? They're fun, and this part of the hype cycle is nearly over for good. It's fun to see which leak no one believes invariably ends up being right.

Exactly. Smash bros is the closest thing to christmas I have. fake leaks are like having your sibling sneak off at 4 am and tell you about the presents he/she saw. They may be lying, but it still gets you excited.

Mariolee

You still have some identity left - you have Pratt's face on that skeleton!
Do you want to see it gone?

You son of a gun.

Edit: request: I'll be in class during the Direct, so when Ridley is revealed to be playable can the OP of the reveal thread put a gif of a dancing skeleton? Because I predicted it? Thanks. :D

Not even getting a Hero's New Clothes texture swap was unforgivable, especially after they thrust that Skyloft abomination onto us. I never thought I'd be so desperate for a DLC costume. Even if it's standalone. And paid. And still just a texture swap.
Hoping for Pajamas Ness as well. I'd buy Pajama DLC, probably.
Pajamas DLC >>>>> Swimsuit DLC.
Actually, pajamas >>>>> anything else. Pajamas are the best thing ever.

Why not? They're fun, and this part of the hype cycle is nearly over for good. It's fun to see which leak no one believes invariably ends up being right.
I need fake leaks to live, they are my fuel that keeps me running.
Exactly. Smash bros is the closest thing to christmas I have. fake leaks are like having your sibling sneak off at 4 am and tell you about the presents he/she saw. They may be lying, but it still gets you excited.
I personally think it's more fun to discuss ideas than to discuss fake leaks. With two hours to go until the Direct livestream thingy, I don't think we need to discuss obviously fake leaks.
I also don't think it's a good idea to give people who make fake leaks attention. It only encourages more.
Macklin, you son of a bitch.
yyeIhq3.png

Don't tempt me.

georly

I personally think it's more fun to discuss ideas than to discuss fake leaks.

Fake leaks are nothing more than discussing ideas but passing them off as true.

The difference between a fake leak and an idea, though, is that a fake leak has to be thought out a bit more so it's believable, whereas a random idea for discussion could be literally anything.

"What if epona was playable" sparks less discussion than "4 new playable characters: Dixie, mewtwo, chorus kids, epona."

The first one gets ignored, the second one is full of people freaking out, giving reasons to shut it down, coming up with concepts, etc. They're really the same thing, but for some reason fake leaks spark more discussion, which is why I like them.

Fake leaks are nothing more than discussing ideas but passing them off as true.

The difference between a fake leak and an idea, though, is that a fake leak has to be thought out a bit more so it's believable, whereas a random idea for discussion could be literally anything.

"What if epona was playable" sparks less discussion than "4 new playable characters: Dixie, mewtwo, chorus kids, epona."

The first one gets ignored, the second one is full of people freaking out, giving reasons to shut it down, coming up with concepts, etc. They're really the same thing, but for some reason fake leaks spark more discussion, which is why I like them.
Still, the attention is an issue. Tower of Smash got way more coverage than it ever should have, and it probably inspired people to crap out more fake leaks in the hope of getting noticed just like the ToS leaker.
There's actually a reasonable amount of material there...
Luigi with the blue outline is already in, through the team battles.

Nintendo of America said:
qeepil3.jpg

Which Nintendo peripheral do you hold most near and dear? The NES Zapper? Wii Fit Balance Board? DK Bongos?
Just posted by Nintendo of America.

If NES Zapper = Duck Hunt
and Wii Fit Balance Board = Wii Fit Trainer
then DK Bongos = ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom