• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjellson

There is no way Dixie will be playable after her trophy.

And Ridley will never be playable in Smash Bros.

My guess is Chorus Kids, Mewtwo, Ice Climbers and Lucas.

Absolutely how I feel too, though throw Snake alongside the IC as the roster cuts I'm still sort of upset over. I feel this is the best batch of newcomers we've had in a Smash game and Uprising was too good for me to really feel upset over a quick and easy to make clone like Dark Pit... Honestly feeling like Alph or Brittany as a quick Olimar clone with his cut Brawl stuff (I get the extra pikmin would be out of the cards) could've been another neat way to pad out the roster.

New stages look really great but good god did DK, Metroid, Yoshi, Star Fox, hell even Kirby (that gameboy stage looks barebones as fuck) get fucked over in the stage and music department. I'll even take their new stages in the Wii U version getting ported back into the 3DS version like Mac and Shulk's were.

I'm holding up hope a 10 year GAF vet didn't just throw away their account over the Ridley/Dixie/Mewtwo/Chorus Kids stuff.
Yeah, the new stages that are there are, for the most part, actually really awesome. Golden Plains and Pictochat 2 are probably the only really big stinkers as far as I'm concerned. But some franchises got absolutely hosed in the stage department. Weighted really, really unfairly to the more popular franchises--four new Mario, two new Zelda, two new Pokemon, and the rest of the original eight franchises save Kirby are left to rot? Come on.

And I'm getting nervous about Kirby, Earthbound, and F-Zero in the Wii U version. Really nervous for Kirby because the only past stage we've seen for the Wii U version is a Kirby stage, mirroring the first past stage we saw for the 3DS version being a Donkey Kong one... Magicant and Mute City really aught to be in both versions. Magicant I feel is pretty likely to appear in the Wii U version, but I'm less sure on Mute City.

I just really hope Sakurai doesn't consider it okay to gimp stage representation of a certain franchise because it got a new stage in the other version. That's really not a good way to go about it when the two games are ostensibly supposed to be able to stand on their own. If they can't then Sakurai's attitude about them being "Smash 4" and "Smash 5" was a bigger load of shit than it first seemed.

Never mind that the past stages do not stand on equal footing graphic wise with the Wii U's stages, unlike the 3DS version for the most part. Having a Brawl level asset stage for Kirby be the sole representative Kirby stage would be even worse than the 3DS's situation. Halberd doesn't even come close to standing toe to toe with the Wii U's stages. Hopefully Sakurai doesn't skip over Return to Dreamland like he did for Star Fox 64 3D (a completely baffling decision).

But there may be light at the end of the tunnel. The Wii U version's stage select screen has a button labeled "Normal" on the bottom of the screen that has no equivalent in the 3DS version, so it's possible that the new stages and past stages are segregated on the Wii U version like they were in Brawl, which would probably prevent them from being sole franchise representatives--the mixing of new and old in the 3DS version seems to be a poor attempt at disguising how anemic the new stages selection actually is. Though the "Normal" button could also just switch over to Custom stages if they return in the Wii U version...

Another thing that could be a positive point is the presence of a new Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus stages in the Wii U version. They betray the potential rule of smaller franchises only having new stages on one version. Not to mention, they are totally new in the sense they don't pull their assets from a recent game and are based on kind of a generic "series wide" representation, so their reason for existing isn't simply because they're based on recent games, which is true for nearly all of the 3DS's unique stages.

A trend I noticed with many of the new exclusive stages in the 3DS version is that many of them are based on really recent handheld titles that they pull their assets from directly, so that in part seems to have constrained the stage selection. The others are retro stages that required less intensive asset creation (Balloon Fight, Mute City, Dreamland). The sole exception to this rule seems to be Magicant, which is why I'm banking on it being a shared stage. (Pac-Maze is a little iffy where it fits, but Namco's stuff has gotten a little extra attention for obvious reasons)

The shared stages--Gaur Plain, Boxing Ring, and Wily Castle are not handheld based and stand apart from the 3DS's stages in some aspects and feel more at home in the Wii U version's stage roster. The 3DS's exclusive stages lack stages like Coliseum and Palutena's Temple (presuming Magicant is shared). The Wii U version's Kalos Pokemon League also directly crosses the console/handheld line by a non-retro title, something the 3DS's exclusive stages don't really do--the only example I can think of is the one Paper Mario: TTYD transformation on the Paper Mario stage, but it's wedged between two handheld locations.

Another note--the 3DS's lack of a new Sonic stage seems telling, sort of. You would think a third party would want a new stage for its franchise, so it may suggest that new stages were not as high of a priority on the 3DS version. Or not.

But I'm not confident in these reasons at all and I feel like I may just be trying really hard to convince myself. There may be some weight there, though. I'm just afraid Sakurai's going to pull another completely absurd piece of bullshit and give Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus a new stage in both versions and then skimp on Kirby or F-Zero in the Wii U version to "play fair" to the 3DS version. I just have this bad feeling that the talk of the two versions being able to stand on their own was all smoke and mirrors and Sakurai and his team got in too deep trying to create content for two versions and decided very wrongly to release two gimped versions instead of at least one complete one.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, so sorry for any redundancies this might have for asking, but does Mushroomy Kingdom have the 1-2 alternative in this or did they take it out?

Sponge

Banned

I wouldn't say no way, but it is kind of unlikely. Pretty hyped to see what DLC could be regardless.

Man this thread is barely active.

I think I'm just going to stick to skimming this thread until game comes out (including the Wii U version). I've said before that I don't mind knowing the full roster, but like Brawl, I kinda want to avoid seeing (and hearing) every little bit of media that comes out.

Cse

Banned
I just have to believe that Sakurai and Nintendo have something up their sleeve to reignite the momentum and hype for the Wii U release.

They need to move Wii Us, and they know Smash is the game that can do that. Now that the game is out for the 3DS in Japan, you can sense that the hype is a bit more deflated, and this will worsen after the release of the 3DS version everywhere else. I just can't see Nintendo 2.5 months from now saying, "Oh yeah, by the way, here's the Wii U version."

The Wii U version will no doubt be the definitive version, but they need some way to build up the hype again.

Tripon

I totally get where Kirby is coming from....

BxYIr9BCMAAQ4sl.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
w00t unlimited uses for demo

Anyway I'm really enjoying Villager. Didn't realize his dash A is a projectile move.

Also Megaman kinda sucks that his ground game is shit.

roknin

My only complaint right now is that as an OG 3DS user... my right thumb is about to fold in on itself. I think the XL would be more comfy but I'm waiting on the NEW #DSXL before upgrading... blaaaaargh

Oh and btw, Nintendo is totally buying the Mega Man IP. Only 3rd party character in the demo, he's featured as a character on the eshop quite frequently (although Sonic is too) and they've given him lots of promotion like in the AKB48 ad.

TBH? I love Capcom of the past and I still hang on to them due to Monster Hunter... but I wouldn't even mind this.

Zubz

Banned
Anybody got pics of Bowser Jr Kirby and the Dixie trophy?

Crap, Dixie's got a trophy?

Also, demo's friggin' great! Haven't gotten to play any of my friends yet, but even against CPU's I'm enjoying myself, even though Villager & Mega Man are the 2 newcomers I've gotten to play as at the demo, meaning they're only sort-of new to me. I like them a lot, though! I think both have a shot as my main.

Mory Dunz

The Find Mii Final Boss song kind of sounds like a generic JRPG boss song. It's pretty good though.

Gets really good at 50 seconds for me.

AHHH! Was having a ho-hum day, just got home from work, checked my email and saw that I QUALIFIED FOR THE DEMO! WHEEEE Downloading it now!!!

It's as simple as altering the trophy if made playable. I really don't see why a trophy alone is enough to rule a character out for DLC. You'd also think that AT characters would have the highest chance of being DLC characters with the majority of them being highly requested, and actually making them playable would be easier with them already having models and animations to work with. But eh, I honestly don't expect any ATs to be upgraded until the next Smash.

...I would shit my pants if Dark Samus ended up being a DLC character though. That moveset potential, man.

Makai

I played a few Gaffers today - Amy, Alex, and Drago. Of course, I don't know everyone's NeoGAF name since their Mii name differs. Amy is pretty good.

As far as the demo goes, it feels so nice to finally get my heads on the game. After so many sleepless nights and so much speculation and excitement, playing it feels great. I will say, playing Smash on a 3DS doesn't quite feel the same and it's gonna take some getting used to. All in all I think it's really solid from what I've played, and I can see myself sinking hours and hours into the full game.
Outside of the demo, I wish that we weren't in an age where everything has leaked. I know it's been said before, but I'm currently working on a piece for my site about the loss of that excitement that we once had, not knowig everything going in. I'm still extremely excited for both games, but it does suck to know that there won't be any huge surprises once again.

I can't believe the new Smash Bros is out. Weird to even type that.

I wonder if we can cap this thread before Smash U launch?

Is the hype dead?

Wii U version will have Bayonetta and Wonder Red. Will be DLC for 3ds.

I still believe.

I'm so fucking stoked for how Duck Hunt and the Koopalings will look like in the Wii U version.

Hope we get some WiiU teases at least.

Judging by how freakin' amazing the 3DS version feels and looks... I can only imagine what wonder Smash will be on Wii U.

winter is coming my gawww

we still don't know so much about smash u o___o

Just realized how little we know about the Wii U versions' features.. or whatever I knew about it must've gotten replaced with all the 3DS info we had been getting.

Hopefully Monday >:U

1-vYn_IKf5GClD84U48KLkJ2WXf8XO81PKsTucY1F1I=w368-h207-p-no

Ryce

I'm holding up hope a 10 year GAF vet didn't just throw away their account over the Ridley/Dixie/Mewtwo/Chorus Kids stuff.
Putting the clones where they belong and adding the “rumored” (and I use that word loosely) characters Dixie, Ridley, Mewtwo, and Chorus Kids gives us this:

uJUFpv4.png

The ordering concept remains the same as the default roster — multi-rep series and single-rep series are listed chronologically.

plz come true

Putting the clones where they belong and adding the “rumored” (and I use that word loosely) characters Dixie, Ridley, Mewtwo, and Chorus Kids gives us this:

uJUFpv4.png

The ordering concept remains the same as the default roster — multi-rep series and single-rep series are listed chronologically.

plz come true

1409268220466.png

That's actually really similar to this leak. Minus Wolf.

and yes, I know this has been posted twice before.

roknin

I just have to believe that Sakurai and Nintendo have something up their sleeve to reignite the momentum and hype for the Wii U release.

They need to move Wii Us, and they know Smash is the game that can do that. Now that the game is out for the 3DS in Japan, you can sense that the hype is a bit more deflated, and this will worsen after the release of the 3DS version everywhere else. I just can't see Nintendo 2.5 months from now saying, "Oh yeah, by the way, here's the Wii U version."

The Wii U version will no doubt be the definitive version, but they need some way to build up the hype again.

Started to disagree, but really thinking about it... I actually think I do agree after all.

I think having say, a DLC character pack or costume pack or something similar right around Wii U's release is probably a good possibility, if only to make sure that hype is re-ignited. Release the DLC for both systems (free if possible), and bam - they kill like 3 birds with one stone.

- Some of the "surprise" characters end up still being a surprise
- Hype re-ignited around release time
- Character selection still remains equal on both systems without upsetting the majority of the fan base.

I don't want to speculate too much on it though, as I'm really good at getting my hopes up for no good reason. :p

C'mon Ridley DLC T^T

Hey Ryce, out of curiosity--what do you think of Bowser Jr. having the Koopalings as alts? The Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario for their Final Smash seems like something that would bug you.

Zetta

The lack of Lucas in this game greatly disturbs me. At the very least my friend gets to play with his favorite Dr. Mario. Thankfully I still have Luigi but damn I'm going to miss Lucas if he's not in, which is looking that way.

Yeah, the new stages that are there are, for the most part, actually really awesome. Golden Plains and Pictochat 2 are probably the only really big stinkers as far as I'm concerned. But some franchises got absolutely hosed in the stage department. Weighted really, really unfairly to the more popular franchises--four new Mario, two new Zelda, two new Pokemon, and the rest of the original eight franchises save Kirby are left to rot? Come on.

And I'm getting nervous about Kirby, Earthbound, and F-Zero in the Wii U version. Really nervous for Kirby because the only past stage we've seen for the Wii U version is a Kirby stage, mirroring the first past stage we saw for the 3DS version being a Donkey Kong one... Magicant and Mute City really aught to be in both versions. Magicant I feel is pretty likely to appear in the Wii U version, but I'm less sure on Mute City.

I just really hope Sakurai doesn't consider it okay to gimp stage representation of a certain franchise because it got a new stage in the other version. That's really not a good way to go about it when the two games are ostensibly supposed to be able to stand on their own. If they can't then Sakurai's attitude about them being "Smash 4" and "Smash 5" was a bigger load of shit than it first seemed.

Never mind that the past stages do not stand on equal footing graphic wise with the Wii U's stages, unlike the 3DS version for the most part. Having a Brawl level asset stage for Kirby be the sole representative Kirby stage would be even worse than the 3DS's situation. Halberd doesn't even come close to standing toe to toe with the Wii U's stages. Hopefully Sakurai doesn't skip over Return to Dreamland like he did for Star Fox 64 3D (a completely baffling decision).

But there may be light at the end of the tunnel. The Wii U version's stage select screen has a button labeled "Normal" on the bottom of the screen that has no equivalent in the 3DS version, so it's possible that the new stages and past stages are segregated on the Wii U version like they were in Brawl, which would probably prevent them from being sole franchise representatives--the mixing of new and old in the 3DS version seems to be a poor attempt at disguising how anemic the new stages selection actually is. Though the "Normal" button could also just switch over to Custom stages if they return in the Wii U version...

Another thing that could be a positive point is the presence of a new Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus stages in the Wii U version. They betray the potential rule of smaller franchises only having new stages on one version. Not to mention, they are totally new in the sense they don't pull their assets from a recent game and are based on kind of a generic "series wide" representation, so their reason for existing isn't simply because they're based on recent games, which is true for nearly all of the 3DS's unique stages.

A trend I noticed with many of the new exclusive stages in the 3DS version is that many of them are based on really recent handheld titles that they pull their assets from directly, so that in part seems to have constrained the stage selection. The others are retro stages that required less intensive asset creation (Balloon Fight, Mute City, Dreamland). The sole exception to this rule seems to be Magicant, which is why I'm banking on it being a shared stage. (Pac-Maze is a little iffy where it fits, but Namco's stuff has gotten a little extra attention for obvious reasons)

The shared stages--Gaur Plain, Boxing Ring, and Wily Castle are not handheld based and stand apart from the 3DS's stages in some aspects and feel more at home in the Wii U version's stage roster. The 3DS's exclusive stages lack stages like Coliseum and Palutena's Temple (presuming Magicant is shared). The Wii U version's Kalos Pokemon League also directly crosses the console/handheld line by a non-retro title, something the 3DS's exclusive stages don't really do--the only example I can think of is the one Paper Mario: TTYD transformation on the Paper Mario stage, but it's wedged between two handheld locations.

Another note--the 3DS's lack of a new Sonic stage seems telling, sort of. You would think a third party would want a new stage for its franchise, so it may suggest that new stages were not as high of a priority on the 3DS version. Or not.

But I'm not confident in these reasons at all and I feel like I may just be trying really hard to convince myself. There may be some weight there, though. I'm just afraid Sakurai's going to pull another completely absurd piece of bullshit and give Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus a new stage in both versions and then skimp on Kirby or F-Zero in the Wii U version to "play fair" to the 3DS version. I just have this bad feeling that the talk of the two versions being able to stand on their own was all smoke and mirrors and Sakurai and his team got in too deep trying to create content for two versions and decided very wrongly to release two gimped versions instead of at least one complete one.

I've had this theory for a while, based on what Sakurai said about the 3DS focusing on a personalized and individual experience. It's precisely why I believe Smash Run, customization, and gear/upgrades were being advertised so heavily, while the Wii U version will likely have a much larger focus on the multiplayer aspect of Smash like previous entries. I'm betting we'll see an improved Stage Builder exclusive to the console version as well.

daffy

Banned
people are busy with the demo, but that will wear off shortly and then this thread will get more active, not to mention the time period between a while after the 3DS western release and Wii U release (i.e. early November)
So you're saying the Wii U version will release approx one month after the 3DS version. I.e. back to back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom