• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodland

So. I have a Wii U and totally getting that version, but here's what I'm thinking so far.

Pros
-Better online
-Customization

Cons
-Fundamental issue with Sakurai's balancing
-Clones and alts prioritized over others (Dark Pit gets a unique FS while Rosalina's sucks and others are left the same or suck? Bowser gets a rework and Ganon doesn't?)
-Smash Run SP

So each of these have a lot more than they seem. Better online is great. Brawl's was shit, and clearly not everyone plays local anymore people should be able to compete from abroad. Obviously, we haven't seen a ton of this. But (and I haven't seen one, so if there is forgive me) I think a ranking/ladder system for For Glory or whatever good 1v1 settings would be great. I wish For Glory had better settings.

Customization. Completely irrelevant to me. Nice for those into that, gives people "pseudo" modding tools to make their moves not shit I guess. Personally, I would've put the dev time in anything else.

So that's it for Pros. Cons. I hate his balancing. Nerfing characters by adding excessive landing lag? Why not make other characters better, like Ness or Falco. Do we really need to nerf grabs directly and give everyone a 1 second hard timer of invulnerability to grabs? Why not nerf them indirectly and make it slightly easier to DI away after a grab, or slightly faster to recover? Taking options away from the player is dumb. I hate dumbing the game down.

Spent resources to give Little Mac a unique skin (a la Fierce Diety Link) AND a sweatsuit, in addition to his normal clothes. Bowser Jr. got ALL 8 KOOPALINGS? Why not boxing gloves on DK, Mr. L, etc etc. Spread the love. Project M has great alts and they're spread between characters instead of tons being concentrated in one place. Yea, they're a mod with infinite time. They also don't have the full budget and backing of being one of, if not Nintendo's 2nd-3rd biggest franchise.

I don't play SP, but when you advertise something like this all the time and leave it SP in a world that's more and more on-the-go and less local MP, ESPECIALLY on 3DS, what are you thinking? I know Nintendo's behind but really? Sucks for those that do play SP.

Lastly. I hate the massive kill zones/barriers and how weak moves seem in relation to that. I see tons of moves that look like they should kill but the characters just keep coming back. Especially Villager's recovery options, those are ridiculous. Whatever. I like the game and I'm excited but I think the cons far outway the pro's.

Nanashrew

Banned
f0U2USG.jpg

RIP Ice Climbers. You finally reached the peak of the mountain and found heavens gate.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man, HYPE after playing the demo...don't want to play it too much and burn out.

Mario

Doesn't seem that different to me. I still don't know how to use the FLUDD.

Link

I definitely noticed the landing lag the most for him...but I love his new Dash Attack, and that cool elbow slam he does for his down throw.

Pikachu

Such a cute model now! Love all his animations!

Mega Man

Awesome...but weird. Love how he can move while firing, and true to the originals, only three shots at once.

Villager
Really fun to watch, but I don't think I'll be using him much. Didn't realize he can also pocket hold items and save them for later, that's really neat.

Anyway, the game feels faster than Brawl (I'm not super competitive, but could notice the difference from Melee which kind of bugged me) and way more natural feeling, looking forward to 10/3 even more now.

Don't have any problems control or visual wise. Looks way better in person too. Except for Gogoat. For some reason, since he's in 30FPS, he almost looks like a sprite when he's moving around and it's really distracting. He should've been Rambi though, I mean, he totally does what a Rambi AT would do.

Golnei

Don't have any problems control or visual wise. Looks way better in person too. Except for Gogoat. For some reason, since he's in 30FPS, he almost looks like a sprite when he's moving around and it's really distracting. He should've been Rambi though, I mean, he totally does what a Rambi AT would do.

I guess a 30FPS Nana would have looked just as awful, then...

Wait, so trophy of a character = won't be DLC?
It's a common assumption, but there's no evidence for it. I think the Ice Climbers trophy might count against it, if anything, because I can't see any DLC not including them.

ErichWK

Cutting ice climbers seems really weird to me. They were such an odd and distinct combo that doesn't seem to make sense why to get rid of them. Maybe cause rosalina and luma are a duo? Same with Duck Huntazooie? I guess Sakurai needed those empty slots for dark pit and doctor mario

Neoxon

I'd agree before, but too many potential DLC characters are being marked off via trophies for this logic to apply. The only ones we know of that dodged the supposed bullet are the Chorus Kids & Impa (that we know of).

Cutting ice climbers seems really weird to me. They were such an odd and distinct combo that doesn't seem to make sense why to get rid of them. Maybe cause rosalina and luma are a duo? Same with Duck Huntazooie? I guess Sakurai needed those empty slots for dark pit and doctor mario
The Ice Climbers were almost certainly cut because the 3DS couldn't handle them.

Neoxon

Something about the AI for the lesser Ice Climber being a strain on the 3DS.

And for the clones, they didn't take away the slot of anyone. They were added last-minute like Lucina as padding for the roster, using extra time that wouldn't have been enough for a newcomer that would have been unique.

ErichWK

And for the clones, they didn't take away the slot of anyone. They were added last-minute like Lucina as padding for the roster, using extra time that wouldn't have been enough for a newcomer that would have been unique.
How dare you prove me wrong with logic and respectful responses

zroid

Banned
The more I see it, I think customization might be the best thing to ever happen to this series. Opens up SO MANY possibilities. Literally multiplies the amount of content available.

I didn't even care that much until I started seeing its implications for myself. I'm a #believer.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, I wouldn't mind if Sakurai redacted his statement about 3DS and Wii U having the same characters.

Golnei

You know, I wouldn't mind if Sakurai redacted his statement about 3DS and Wii U having the same characters.

I'd much rather the 'free DLC' thing be true than version-exclusive characters. It's not technically breaking his promise if the Ice Climbers can only be used on the N3DS.

I just want a cross save file for the stuff the two versions share. This game is too damn big to be doing everything all over again when you just did it once a few seconds ago.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh man, that means the JP Wii U version could possibly be the end of October...

That means the upcoming POTDs are gonna be pretty packed then hopefully.

Comandr

<Complaints>

I think it's easy to forget that this is little more than a goofy party game where Sonic, Mario, and Pac-Man can engage in fisticuffs. I'm hugely looking forward to it. But I main one of the lowest tier characters in the game. And I have a blast. And I'm rarely ever beaten in my group of smash friends.

You are looking way too deeply into this. This isn't Tekken or Street Fighter or MVC, and will never be featured at EVO. This game will offer the same nonsense fun that MK8 offers. Just don't expect the game to actually be any more competitive than that. Because it's not.

Neoxon

There is no way Dixie will be playable after her trophy.

And Ridley will never be playable in Smash Bros.

My guess is Chorus Kids, Mewtwo, Ice Climbers and Lucas.
The Ice Climbers trophy turned up, & too many potential DLC options are being made into trophies to be considered as an argument against their possible inclusion.

Okay just spent some time with the demo. Man, all the complaints I read about the controls really set me up for the worst, but I adjusted just fine (maybe because I'm used to Uprising and Sakurai set up movement to be similar). It only took me a bit to realize L was throw and R was Shield. I'd prefer the opposite really.

Just a couple questions

-How the heck do you do Mega Man's Mega Upper?
-I remember reading an early comment about how the coins you earned in the Japanese demo carry over into the retail game. Did this turn out to be true? Any word on if the same will happen here?
-In terms of Victory Themes: Did the final release turn out to be like the E3 Demo where the Brawl themes are reused but some characters like Rosalina and Bowser have new versions?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'd agree before, but too many potential DLC characters are being marked off via trophies for this logic to apply. The only ones we know of that dodged the supposed bullet are the Chorus Kids & Impa (that we know of).

To be honest, I suspected that Sakurai might use those trophies as red herrings to make people believe that they are disconfirmed.

I'm going with my stance that we are not getting any dlc characters for now.

And the fact that it could possibly end up with 8 fully detailed player character models on screen at once.

Mariolee

LaNaranja

Can someone repost that picture that shows smash accommodating both casual and hardcore people with the goofy Captain Falcon in one thought bubble. I saw it earlier but can't seem to find it anymore.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I have achieved full power in the demo.

55LPVVA.png

lH7Aj8K.png

In a way I missed my old way of taking 3DS screenshots which is using another Nintendo portable camera even if the quality is awful.

Of course taking a picture of a 3DS game with 3D on always leads to good stuff.

pGUsnx7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom