• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenG3000

Being one of the games that Nintendo wants to keep alive as long as possible, I still believe this game will have DLC as Mario Kart 8 did.

watershed

Banned
I'm so glad NOA didn't put the 30 play limit on the demo. Even though I'm pretty much never going to close the demo until the game actually comes out, it's nice to know it's unlimited.

TEJ

waitwaitwait

I can handle wolf or ice climbers not being playable

but no dixie?!?

blarg. still buying the game, love the demo

Niosai

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I really like the changes made to Link. When you're running, he does kind of a leap before he attacks which gives him the extra range he really needed.

watershed

Banned
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I really like the changes made to Link. When you're running, he does kind of a leap before he attacks which gives him the extra range he really needed.

Yeah it's a nice addition. I think Link is going to be a really fun character to Smash Run with. And if custom moves allow him to be faster in any way he might become one of my mains.

kd-z

Yo guys sorry for the noob question but I got a code for the demo from a friend and it's awesome but Lucina is not on the character selection screen :< How come?

Painguy

Since when did trophies mean that characters are cut? Last time I checked there are trophies of all the characters.

Since when did trophies mean that characters are cut? Last time I checked there are trophies of all the characters.
Yeah, unless character DLC is going to be the most obscure character imaginable, I don't think it means much beyond those characters obviously not being hidden away anywhere on the 3DS version.

SoldnerKei

changed my demo impressions to the other thread since the discussion over there seems more focused on that

love this game so much <3

After playing several hours with Mega Man, WHILE HE'S VERY FUN I do think he should be rebalanced out of the five that are in the demo. Seems way too situational even for Smash and has very little he can react to in close-quarters if anything. Hell I can see why a few people want that up B glitch left in since it doesn't feel like MM has much else over other characters so far.

So I took a quick look at my Pokedex 3D Pro, and I noticed that Mewtwo's trophy model is exactly the same as the model in that game. So, yeah, doesn't really mean anything, I think. Granted, I don't see how you can really improve on that model, but still.

I wanna know what the IC, Mewtwo, and Chorus Kids Trophies say...

I hope my haphazard translation will suffice.

Mewtwo
"A Pokemon made by engineering the DNA of legendary Pokemon Mew to max out it’s combat capabilities. Without Mew’s kind and peaceful heart, it uses it’s high IQ only to defeat it’s enemies. But is that really true? Is a suffering greater than the humans who made it etched into Mewtwo’s face…?"

Chorus Men / Chorus Kids
"No game has as many mysteriously charming characters as Rhythm Heaven. For example, the Descendant of Ninja, Mr Upbeat and ‘Bad Guy’ (from Descendant of Ninja) Are they twisted around <???> or just the way they are. And others like the little villagers from Power Calligraphy, Mr Love from Confession Machine, and Toran and Porin. They are just cute, that’s all we can say. Amidst all of them, this time, behold the Chorus Men."

...is there an image with text of the Ice Climbers trophy anywhere?

watershed

Banned
After playing several hours with Mega Man, WHILE HE'S VERY FUN I do think he should be rebalanced out of the five that are in the demo. Seems way too situational even for Smash and has very little he can react to in close-quarters if anything. Hell I can see why a few people want that up B glitch left in since it doesn't feel like MM has much else over other characters so far.

While I agree MM is not great and is definitely weak at close range, I think his up B and down B are going to be his best close range damage and close range escape moves. So far they are pretty effective in the demo.
Edit: I think I got the buttons wrong, but I mean his spin and slide moves.

Megaman's dash attack is pretty effective too from what I've used of it. Seems like it might be smart to use it to put distance between you and the enemy, rather than using it to charge in like most dash attacks.

Golnei

I hope my haphazard translation will suffice.

Mewtwo
"A Pokemon made by engineering the DNA of legendary Pokemon Mew to max out it&#8217;s combat capabilities. Without Mew&#8217;s kind and peaceful heart, it uses it&#8217;s high IQ only to defeat it&#8217;s enemies. But is that really true? Is a suffering greater than the humans who made it etched into Mewtwo&#8217;s face&#8230;?"

I'm having a hard time not interpreting that as a taunt from Sakurai.

I'm having a hard time not interpreting that as a taunt from Sakurai.

image.php

If Ice Climbers' trophy description doesn't say something like, "Unfortunately they won't be joining the battle this time around!," I still think they have a chance.
Ice Climbers and Snake strike me as character cuts who if hardware and copyright issues respectively didn't prevent it, they'd have definitely been in.

Everybody else cut was probably just lower priority than who got in and hence still stands a solid chance as DLC.

Mistle

yeah, definitely. also, his up air is different, with a boost as well

I love link's changes, too. His dash attack is a jump attack from ocarina of time, and it's a kill move now, too! Super powerful just like in that game. Also his backwards roll is a backflip like ocarina, too, and I think it's considerably faster.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can't believe the new Smash Bros is out. Weird to even type that.

I wonder if we can cap this thread before Smash U launch?

Is the hype dead?
If it's only the characters that interest you then very likely. However, if like me you find stages and other trinkets just, it not more, interesting, then there is still stuff to get excited about.

Warioware Inc. (Brawl)
-Warioware Inc. (Brawl)
-Ashley's Theme (Brawl)
Ashley's Theme? That's surprising. Wonder if that means we get the English version.
I would have liked Mike's English song

What a handsome devil.

It is quite unfortunate that certain fan favorites could not make the roster for the 3DS version but technical limitations and time constraints were probably the cause of that. With that said, the Wii U version shares none of these limitations and those characters will probably be exclusive to the platform as incentive to further differentiate it from the 3DS version.

The demo is absolutely incredible. Unfortunately it is also torture having such a limited amount of content for an entire 3 weeks. Played ~3+ hours of local play with a buddy that I hooked up with a code tonight. In a perfect world the demo would have Wi-Fi so I could play my friend from my hometown

Fiktion

Banned
The demo is absolutely incredible. Unfortunately it is also torture having such a limited amount of content for an entire 3 weeks. Played ~3+ hours of local play with a buddy that I hooked up with a code tonight. In a perfect world the demo would have Wi-Fi so I could play my friend from my hometown

Played the demo with a friend for 4 straight hours tonight. Cannot wait for the full release.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
New stages look really great but good god did ... hell even Kirby (that gameboy stage looks barebones as fuck) get fucked over in the stage and music department.
But GameBoy Dreamland stage is literally the stage for Kirby in a version that allegedly focuses on handheld entries.

Well, for me, it was one of the few things I wanted so I'm happy. Sakurai gave us this series so I think it's only fair he can show some love to his first game.

I totally get where Kirby is coming from....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxYIr9BCMAAQ4sl.jpg
Drawn by xXx_Salty_Mewtwo_Fan_420_xXx

Calling Pac-Man "anyone". Why I never.

RIDLEY ISN'T A CLOWN OF CHARIZARD!

Kouriozan

total posts, the final pre-3DS release edition:
1. IntelliHeath-8814
2. theprodigy-5673
3. Horizon-5094
4. ffdgh-5008
5. foxuzamaki-4689
6. BGBW-4650
7. SuperSah-4589 (+1)
8. georly-4443 (-1)
9. Neiteio-4387
10. SmithnCo-4363
11. PadWarrior-4162
12. Beelzebufo-3795
13. OricWindstar-3742
14. Boss Doggie-3375
15. Troubled Bat-3299
16. Berordn-3243
17. MrSaturn99-3063
18. Toxi-2867
19. Loco4Coco-2696 (+1)
20. zroid-2679 (+2)
21. Village-2671 (-2)
22. Ryce-2626 (-1)
23. DaBoss-2398 (+1)
24. qq more-2397 (-1)
25. Kriken-2370
26. Red Arremer-2344 (+1)
27. I'M FINISHED-2333 (-1)
28. Kyzon-2132
29. BassForever-2116
30. SenorArdilla-2098
31. emb-2090 (+3)
32. The Great Gonzales-2082 (-1)
33. Pop-O-Matic-1970
34. Golnei-1964 (+2)
35. Azure J-1933 (-3)
35. JoeInky-1933
37. Caladrius-1780
38. Jawmuncher-1711 (+3)
39. Neoriceisgood-1692 (-1)
40. ShockingAlberto-1674 (-1)
41. Hatchtag-1665 (-1)
42. Neoxon-1592 (+4)
43. Dimitri LH-1589 (+2)
44. Sponge-1586 (-1)
45. Watch Da Birdie-1584 (-1)
46. GamerSoul-1564 (-4)
47. Kouriozan-1561 (NEW)
48. J@hranimo-1557 (NEW)
49. balladofwindfishes-1542 (NEW)
50. Baron von Loathsome-1540 (-2)

newcomers: Kouriozan, J@hranimo, balladofwindfishes
dropped out: Benzychenz, Anth0ny, Hyperactivity
biggest rise: Neoxon, 4 spots
biggest fall: Gamersoul, 4 spots

others: With the last pre-3DS release thread, we have 4 posters above 5000 posts! *high fives IntelliHeath, Horizon, ffdgh*

not much else of note here
Oh god I finally made it :')

EulaCapra

I'll still hold out hope for Dixie DLC since it would be unfathomable to have a line of Donkey Kong trophies without her anyway.

I'll keep dreaming for the rest of the year in the meanwhile. La di da di da.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
RIP Ice Climbers. You finally reached the peak of the mountain and found heavens gate.
I'd be more disappointed if their trophy was 3DS exclusive. I would have want to see their collars be extra fluffy thanks to the Wii U so they are closer to what the Brawl render teased.

Yeah, unless character DLC is going to be the most obscure character imaginable, I don't think it means much beyond those characters obviously not being hidden away anywhere on the 3DS version.
Should have wished for more obscure characters then. Now my oddball choices like Bag have a higher chance than Mewtwo.

In b4 a trophy of bag

Someone please explain the rationale behind "trophy = no chance" using logic.

impossible
I believe the logic is that playable characters unlock a trophy of themselves via the single player modes like Classic and All-Star. So if a character already has a trophy and then became a playable character, they'd have an additional trophy that the original roster doesn't have. There are exceptions to this rule like Assault Fox from Brawl.

aZuR0Mcm.png

So say if Chorus Kids were a 3D model as a fighter, their 2D trophy would be the equivalent of the Assault Trophy. Though the counter argument to this would be Melee's Ice Climber trophy

zQ3TKUxm.jpg

As this showed them in their original form. Of course Melee's first trophy was often a lower quality model, with their other two (Adventure and All-Star) being reflective of their Melee models. 3DS Smash doesn't continue this tradition and Classic gives a trophy reflective of their character selection screen render. So a 3D Chorus Kids render would give a 3D trophy.

deleted

So we didn't get any release date or hint for the Wii U version yesterday right?
Mix up with the demo release date?

But GameBoy Dreamland stage is literally the stage for Kirby in a version that allegedly focuses on handheld entries.
It just seems really dull to me how it works, just soft-transitioning to different select parts of the original game. The Mute City and Balloon Fight retro stages in this game or the previous 'Mushroom Kingdoms' or 75m stages had a similar 'directly ripped from the game' aesthetic but felt way more reflective of their actual games via layouts and gimmicks.

For portable-only titles there's a ton of stuff from Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad, Canvas Curse or if it wasn't released so recently Triple Deluxe that would stand out better. Even Dreamland 2 with the animal buddies sticks out a bit better to me, just since nearly everything in the original Dreamland wound up being recycled/remixed in every other Kirby game so it's not overly nostalgic to run through it in Smash.

Really hoping Return or Epic Yarn are the stage rep for the Wii U version and that Gameboy stage isn't meant to represent the new level Kirby's going to get for all of SSB4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom