• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.
nE1ZYZV.gif

I'm super hyped.

The CG is totally unrealistic, how can she descend like that without her skirt flying up?

Those legs though

1WFxnRG.gif

:eek: :eek: :eek: *right click save*

HowZatOZ

Banned
Wow, I must be watching a different preview than everyone else. This looks awful. Hopefully it's just how it's edited here. But those piano parts and music? I thought I was watching the Jem and the Holograms trailer again, but with super powers.
Not sure why people are caring so much about the music, it's only for the trailer.

I realize the budget probably wouldn't allow it, but I'd love for the season finale to have a battle like the ones in Man of Steel (Smallville/Metropolis). Just see Supergirl and CyborgSupes fucking cut loose and just fuck each other up.

13728866744_d3ae471154_o.gif

3441652-ibefzmqcb9qe11.gif

Also hope they do better with the Cinematography. The trailer came off a bit bland, but other non-bog standard CBS shows like Person of Interest and The Good Wife have great cinematography, and Arrow and The Flash also do a bang-up job in that department.

Dice//

Banned
I realize the budget probably wouldn't allow it, but I'd love for the season finale to have a battle like the ones in Man of Steel (Smallville/Metropolis). Just see Supergirl and CyborgSupes fucking cut loose and just fuck each other up.

Also hope they do better with the Cinematography. The trailer came off a bit bland, but other non-bog standard CBS shows like Person of Interest and The Good Wife have great cinematography, and Arrow and The Flash also do a bang-up job in that department.

Honestly, I can't believe how friggin' BEAUTIFUL that whole sequence was in Man of Steel.

Wait a tick, Supergirl is a "police procedural" with a superhero twist?

http://whatculture.com/tv/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-supergirl-tv-show.php/2

Sigh, yes, let’s get the bad news out of the way first. Supergirl will be airing on CBS, which is the network which has brought you such diverse programming as Cold Case, Without a Trace, Criminal Minds, NCIS and The Mentalist, CIS, CSI: Miami and CSI: NY, and CSI: Cyber. You don’t get a show on this channel without it being a police procedural – unless it’s a sitcom.

And given the state of the last semi-high-profile superhero sitcom, nobody wants that. So the set up of Supergirl will involve the character’s classic comic book origin, and Kara Zor-El will be spending at least part of her time in a costume complete with S-shield and cape. But most of the time, she’ll be solving crimes the old fashioned way.

The premise of the Supergirl series is that she gets enlisted by “a super-secret agency where her sister also works…to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats.” So she’s essentially a deputised secret agent who solves crimes. She’ll be putting on her costume to scrap with people when the budget can allow it, but expect lots of clue-piecing and the like too.

If the pacing moves as fast as Arrow and Flash, maybe they'll ditch that really quickly. Also, shows like Good Wife and Person of Interest did fantastic things with blending procedurals and serials.

And this is set in "National City" instead of Metropolis, which is... weird... is that supposed to be an analog for Washington?

Her male friend that's helping her with the costumes is basically the Jimmy Olsen type character, except he wants to bang the Superperson he's around.

Okay, maybe he's basically just Jimmy Olsen.

The guy who wants to go out with her? Yeah he's Jimmy Olsenish. Maybe he's like....maybe he gets superzoned. I hope he does, I don't like him. He looks whiny.

ivysaur12

Banned

http://whatculture.com/tv/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-supergirl-tv-show.php/2

If the pacing moves as fast as Arrow and Flash, maybe they'll ditch that really quickly. Also, shows like Good Wife and Person of Interest did fantastic things with blending procedurals and serials.

And this is set in "National City" instead of Metropolis, which is... weird... is that supposed to be an analog for Washington?

They might not be allowed to use Metropolis. Also, the skyline is clearly LA.

That shit looks awful. Are they for real? Turn a superhero comic property into this mess. That music also reminded me of the Jem and the Holograms trailer again.

kurahador

Ahaha...I doubt we'll be seeing anything beyond plastic barrels exploding in tv big fights.

Can we keep this kind of talk out of the thread, please? I'm sure you guys can think of things to talk about without needing to remind everyone of how fap-worthy you find Supergirl or whatever. It's embarrassing and crass.

Oops sorry. Yes I do get in a bit of a silly mood sometimes.

assuming you're comparing her to ally mcbeal...she looks ok but but she definitely looks her age.

Yep. She looks her age in off camera photos though.

Not sure why people are caring so much about the music, it's only for the trailer.

One would imagine that the trailer would evoke the aesthetic they're going for in the actual show, particularly in a 6-minute one.

The actual footage with her working with her "Devil Wears Prada"-like boss and curling up on the couch with her pillow evoked those piano keys in my head before they actually happened, though.

Can we keep this kind of talk out of the thread, please? I'm sure you guys can think of things to talk about without needing to remind everyone of how fap-worthy you find Supergirl or whatever. It's embarrassing and crass.

I didn't even realize they were thirsting over her. All I saw was an average looking girl without a lick of curves.

border

To call it a police procedural seems ridiculous. I don't think that there is a single detective or police officer in the entire trailer.

Will she be working with a secret government agency to solve problems created by superhumans? Well yes, obviously. Will there be a lot of downtime where she isn't performing superhuman feats that require a huge special effects budget? Well yes, obviously. At the same time, I doubt she is going to be doing everyday detective work or solving random crimes committed by normal human beings.

I don't see how it's a police procedural any more than Agents of Shield is. The scale of problems that she deals with is obviously going to be larger than those on Law & Order.

Eh? How is that any different than The Flash being a police procedural? It's kind of a stretch to call it that but I'm sure it'll be more in line with what The Flash is doing which isn't a problem at all.

Sober

The Flash is technically a cop show too.

Meta shows up, Barry tries to take him/her down. Can't comprehend powers, so he gets his butt kicked. Find clues to figure out how to counteract powers. Barry beats the meta with new invention or implementation of powers. Meta captured. Onto the next one.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Supergirl feels like "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" with super powers. I kinda like it.
No...?

Alright. I watched it 3 times. The first time gave me a headache and put me in a bad mood. Was bout to rage post here before seeing oddly positive reactions. The second time I isolated that it was the music that set me off in every instance. It's the stuff I'd rather turn the radio off than listen to in the car. The third time, I committed to watching it in some capacity. Whether that will turn into an enjoyable experience is yet to be seen of course. But I will give it a shot. Maybe I wait until episode 2 though since that was basically the entire pilot.
I didn't even realize they were thirsting over her. All I saw was an average looking girl without a lick of curves.
Where's that gif with the zoom in and head nodding bearded guy. That one. Not like, that has anything to do with anything I care about discussing though.

Sober

Just take the MRA rant over Fury Road, replace MAD MAX/FURY ROAD with SUPERGIRL and CHARLIZE THERON with MELISSA BENOIST and ... well...

just roll that FEMINISM gif one more time!

BBboy20

Not gonna lie... Came in to this ready to hate, but I actually liked what I saw. Don't know if I'll watch, but it looks like they did at least an alright job.
I'm surprised somebody didn't alter your avy to look like Captain Cold.

Considering we had some amazing super fights on Flash, I can't imagine what amazing shit the SFX team can pull off with a bigger budget.

rPIJZyv.gif

Now imagine that being foreshadowing of CyborgSupes....

...wait, if they're going with this route, why the hell isn't the Question getting his own show?

The guy who wants to go out with her? Yeah he's Jimmy Olsenish. Maybe he's like....maybe he gets superzoned. I hope he does, I don't like him. He looks whiny.
That will probably propel him to become Toy Man.

Trojan X

Banned
I'm not impressed. Isn't Supergirl a hot head and the complete antithesis of Clark/Superman?

Yes, she is. She is also a bubblehead sugar candy pop all-american cheerleading school girl that started to grow a temper when Wonder Women and Superman got more involved in her life.... and when she got cloned.

Joni

I'm now super-hyped for the show. The show doesn't seem to be afraid of being a superhero show, which is excellent. I was just hoping for a bit more Arrowverse, for instance 'we are already having enough trouble with your cousin and that speed freak' when they dismiss her.

Mariolee

Rewatching the trailer again and I am really happy this turned out as well as it did. Sure, the whole Devil Wears Prada thing seems shallow and we'd all preferred if she did something with more depth but it seems fun overall.

Get hyped.

And yeah, the whole "cousin" thing is getting annoying but I'm just excited we apparently have Supes in the Arrowverse.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
did they not use the short Superman footage from the MoS movie?

Because people keep saying it has nothing to do with the cinematic DC universe..I'm confused >.<

Girlfriend and I loved the first look. looks cheesy, fun, nice special effects.

tkscz

I'm now super-hyped for the show. The show doesn't seem to be afraid of being a superhero show, which is excellent. I was just hoping for a bit more Arrowverse, for instance 'we are already having enough trouble with your cousin and that speed freak' when they dismiss her.

I like that we now have Krytonians confirmed for the DCTVerse
And we got a hint that Hal Jordan/Green Lanterns are apart of the DCTVerse in the previous Flash episode (one of Ferris' test pilots disappeared, causing it to be shut down. Obvious reference to Hal Jordan, who became a green lantern after testing a plan)
. So question remains (for me anyway) will the up coming Titans series also be in this universe? Don't think Greg Berlanti has anything to do with it.

did they not use the short Superman footage from the MoS movie?

Because people keep saying it has nothing to do with the cinematic DC universe..I'm confused >.<

Girlfriend and I loved the first look. looks cheesy, fun, nice special effects.

The DCTVerse and the DCCU are 100% unrelated to the point where they have a completely different actor for Flash. It's actually a really stupid move for DC, who is trying to play catch up with Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom