• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from the Superman problem, it's pretty good, overall. Gets very corny near the end with the motivational speeches, but it's not like Arrow and Flash haven't done the same.

So the pilot
It really kept hitting me over the head with how poor a decision it was to have Superman exist if they don't intend on making him a major character. Why didn't he answer the call of the alien frequency thing? It's hilarious how they go out of their way to avoid saying Superman. You really had to use Jimmy as your mailman to give something so important to your cousin? You can fly you damn jerk. The contrivances to not have him show up when his aunt is trying to take over and kill his cousin will be something else

Outside of that I thought it was pretty damn solid, I'll definitely keep watching.

The Cowboy

What's the reason they won't allow Superman in name or on screen?, i mean they didn't do it in Smallville aswell (which was outright stupid) but in the 90's we had an actual Superman TV show (Lois and Clark: The new Adventures of Superman) - what changed?.

We went from having an actual Superman TV show, to not even wanting to mention or show him in a TV show that actually has him in the universe of that show/s.

Smallville does mention Superman sometimes in the last seasons. The opening of Supergirl also mentions his name.

But, yeah, there has been a lot of avoidance of directly mentioning his name and showing his appearance.

Well, if this shit WAS an internal leak, I hope they're taking notes on the anti-Superman reactions

Seriously not every DC universe needs Superman, just right it off as Reverse Flash Tampering with the timeline preventing all of the traditional founding members of the Justice League from ever becoming their Superhero persona's except Flash.

The Cowboy

Smallville does mention Superman sometimes in the last seasons. The opening of Supergirl also mentions his name.

True, but they seemed very intent on just doing it once or twice just to get it out of the way, then it was just he and him - as for actually seeing him, in both shows they go out of there way to activity not show him (the trailers full body shot of him with the sun blocking him out in particular was just stupid).

I just don't get it, how do we go from a couple of great movies (Superman 1 and 2) and a decent TV show fully about him (Lois and Clark), to not actually wanting to show him and then also making an effort to not say his name when he exists in that TV shows universe - it makes no sense to me..
---
Anyways, with Supergirl just like the Flash, I'm glad they got the main characters name out of the way quickly, i still want my Green Arrow show (fed up with just Arrow :D).

Aiii

So not worth it
You know, as weird as it is to not mention his name once.

It does kind of make sense. I mean, how often do you really repeat someone's name when both parties know the subject of their conversation. You will quickly just go to the he and him anyways. It didn't bother me all that much really.

So Superman is part of the mythos as he should be. Are we going to complain about it for the history of the show or is this it after everyone expresses how it will grate and be the Achilles heel and ruin everything?

Just checking.

Are we going to complain about it for the history of the show or is this it after everyone expresses how it will grate and be the Achilles heel and ruin everything?

Just checking.

Depends on how they implement it going forward.

If they continue to fuck it up, you're going to continue to hear about it.

So Superman is part of the mythos as he should be. Are we going to complain about it for the history of the show or is this it after everyone expresses how it will grate and be the Achilles heel and ruin everything?

Just checking.

I don't have any problem with Superman being in the 'verse, but he's really gonna have to show up at some point. It's the hemming and hawing and "aw-shucks" references that I find grating. Having him deliver the blanket in person would have been perfect.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Just checking.

If it's annoying for the history of the show, then that

Skux

The "feminist" stuff the pilot is actually pretty mild. This is a CBS show so they're going for mainstream appeal. Any sociopolitical discussion is likely going to be very broad and agreeable.

There are three instances I can recall where gender is brought up:

A woman says having a female superhero will be great, her daughter will have someone to look up to. This is something people say in real life. When Disney announced Moana, a lot of my Pacific island friends were thrilled. One posted "My girl is going to love this, I can finally get her a doll that looks like her."

The "Shouldn't she be called Superwoman" scene between Kara and her boss. It's framed more like a debate rather than bashing your head over with an ideology, and even then it's a familiar third wave feminist idea that "girly" things can be empowering too. If anything it's Kara that comes away as the more old-fashioned of the two.

Then final scene where her sister says "Why, because she's 'just a girl'?" Okay yeah this one is a little on the nose. But she's clearly referring to the villain, and how he's going to underestimate Kara.

I didn't know they cast a black dude as Henshaw. Going to be really weird if they do the Cyborg Superman thing. Though I suppose they could still pull it off as him just replacing Superman and not just pretending to be him.

Just checking.

Well given what is coming with the ending of the episode, he damn well better be standing next to Kara ready to take on that. Plus pretty much everytime she is facing something tougher than her it is just stupid not to ask for help.

To be honest, I kinda got asshole vibes from him. Finds his only family left...sends her off to a foster family, doesn't sound like he ever checks in with the way she talks about him with Jimmy, cannot even be bothered to give her a gift in person when it is related to one of the biggest decisions of her life.

At least the Supergirl movie had the sense to mention he was on a mission away from Earth.

antispin

Me likey. The CGI and action was a bit eh, they need to work around that skirt -- not exactly a great outfit for action -- but I really liked the lead, she was great in and out of the cape and gave a very honest performance. I thought
the general the baddie referred to was Zod and thought this set the pilot just before Zod shows up, but I guess he meant the aunt? Also James mentioned Supes' first job was saving a plane as well -- don't remember that in MoS. But the Supes shirt kinda looked like the MoS shirt, as does Kara's. A bit confused on that front.

Xemnas89

Blake Neely is three for three when it comes to scoring DC television. This show had some great music. Way to early to tell if it'll be as good as the flash soundtrack but it's definitely going to be great.

ReiGun

Blake Neely is three for three when it comes to scoring DC television. This show had some great music. Way to early to tell if it'll be as good as the flash soundtrack but it's definitely going to be great.

Isn't he though? Supergirl's theme (or what I'm assuming is her theme) was incredible.

Any chance Mary Marvel or Jesse Quick could show up?

Maybe. Both Arrow and Flash introduced another DC hero in their first seasons (Huntress and Firestorm, respectively). I guarantee at least one other hero in the DCU besides Superman will make an appearance on the show sooner rather than later.

I don't know about Jesse or Mary though. Zatanna might be a good choice. Or maybe they'll go for broke and give us Batgirl or Wonder Girl.

Sober

The Arrow pilot had basically Oliver coming home, the flashback, the love triangle and the adam hunt case. Supergirl goes a lot faster with already three major character reveals. Considering the audience, considering the changed climate that is absolutely logical. Arrow came when you had no superhero shows, now you have 5+. That required a slower build.
Supergirl's pilot literally only has one story (Kara's reveal and her fight with the one alien), and the sole identity reveal was a complete non-starter because it caused no actual fallout besides a fun montage sequence. There are different beats sure, but not much more that it seems like it's out of focus or anything.

ZeroX03

Banned
I was thinking the pilot could leak after how well The Flash's pilot was received after it 'leaked' last year. Not surprised at all!

The Cowboy

It's really a silly question. It's a TV show. Hah.
Well yeah, but no.

Its is a silly question is that it indeed just a TV show, but it really is an interesting question in regards to how she could have done it - (perhaps they are made from the necklace she was given/wearing as a kid?).

Well yeah, but no.

Its is a silly question is that it indeed just a TV show, but it really is an interesting question in regards to how she could have done it - (perhaps they are made from the necklace she was given/wearing as a kid?).

She's wearing that necklace as an adult, though.

Maybe she used her own super strength or heat vision or something. I know that Superman shaves using his heat vision.

...now I'm wondering how they get haircuts.

Hm. All of these works have to heavily reinforce that they are feminist.

"Why, because she's just a girl?"

Then villains who make some sexist comment at the start...

Just like the first issue of Captain Marvel, really. I guess it works since they keep doing it.

Maybe my perspective's wrong.

Anyways, first episode was aight.

Pilgrimzero

I really liked it. I have some nits to pick but really nothing that can't be given over to "its a pilot".

Well almost everything.
Super prison full of aliens, really?

I think this show is going to clash pretty hard with Arrowverse mythos. But that's what the speedforce is for....

Ok.... I saw it.

I REALLY liked it. It was way better then I thought it would be. Much like Gotham's pilot, it has all the ingredients of a really good and fun show. We'll just see it cooks into a great one.

It felt rush
she said she doesn't need to be hero because of Supes, but all it took was her sister's plane. She could have hesitated a little like " I wonder if my cousin will save that plane" All of a sudden she doesn't want to fit in after all this years...why? Because the company is going to be laid off? Jimmy scene at the end could have come earlier
The secret organization and her sister's cover could have been saved for another season.
It's in the OP
Within 6 minutes she transformed from trying to fit in to flying saving a plane. Like a pro

god the music is good

God bless Blake Neely. His Flash stuff is sublime.

And just watched the pilot. That was a ton of fun. And after it was over, I had to explain to my wife why I squeed a bit that we have
Hank Henshaw
on the show. I don't know if I buy the actor eventually evolving into what the character becomes in the comics, but hey, who the hell thought that (Flash spoiler for those that haven't watched it yet)
Tom Cavanagh would be such a bad ass villain when they saw him cast on The Flash?

Cyberius

god the music is good

This is so true.

Also, a few random thoughts, some of which I haven't seen noticed.

1) Alexis mentions Hank Henshaw's old team recovering Kara's pod. Wondering if we'll see flashbacks/fallout from that. Also, I wonder how much the DEO knows about Kara, and when they knew it.

2) They need to be able to say Superman/Clark/Kal-El every now and again, but shouldn't talk about him much. Or go all out the other way and make him like Maris from Frasier. Always talked about, never seen.

3)Does it make sense for this to be in the same universe as Flash/Arrow? No. Do I care? No. I want my crossover, dammit, and it's not like the DCU makes much sense to begin with.

4) Kara's bright red boots she wears to the bank robbery are the best. She should keep those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom