• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xemnas89

I was thinking the pilot could leak after how well The Flash's pilot was received after it 'leaked' last year. Not surprised at all!

Yep and it seems like the pilot for supergirl is indeed being mostly well received. The only thing it doesn't have is Tom Cavanagh standing out of a wheel chair but not all shows can be so blessed.

Yep and it seems like the pilot for supergirl is indeed being mostly well received. The only thing it doesn't have is Tom Cavanagh standing out of a wheel chair but not all shows can be so blessed.

LOL. That one moment from the end of the Flash pilot really couldn't prepare us for how awesome Cavanagh was for the rest of the season.

Run, Barry, Run came from the flash pilot and was used a few times throughout the series.

I feel like this will probably get said at some point.

Sorry if I forgot the "Run, Barry, Run" thing from the pilot. I think the way it was done in the finale is clouding my brain.

Either way, I am excited for Supergirl and think it will be a ton of fun. I said it before in here, and I will say it again. It is so damn nice to see a super hero actually happy about being a super hero.

Xemnas89

Sorry if I forgot the "Run, Barry, Run" thing from the pilot. I think the way it was done in the finale is clouding my brain.

Either way, I am excited for Supergirl and think it will be a ton of fun. I said it before in here, and I will say it again. It is so damn nice to see a super hero actually happy about being a super hero.

Yeah it absolutely is. I love her reaction to seeing herself on tv saving the plane.

Patryn

After watching it, I really don't see how it fits into the same world as Arrow and Flash.

The only way I could see it work is if it's
a different world in the multiverse.

And, again, a large part of it is the Superman issue. Flash acts like super powers and meta humans is this brand new thing, yet in Supergirl Superman has been around for over a decade?

Having him exist just unnecessarily harms this show while benefiting it very little.

Chilikar

I'm super excited too, I wasn't too happy about the 6 minute preview but the trailer got me excited.

That being said, wasn't Barry happy about being a hero? He was pretty excited about it for the first few episodes

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Was it just me, or was the writing in the pilot just awful? I hope it's just pilot badness and it improves afterwards.

"she can't do it"

"Why? Because she's a GIRL???"

come on.

The overall premise is pretty promising though.

Wiktor

Was it just me, or was the writing in the pilot just awful? I hope it's just pilot badness and it improves afterwards.

"she can't do it"

come on.

What's so bad about it? The alien underestimated her precisely because she was a girl. He even boasted about women in his homeworld bowing to men.

I'm super excited too, I wasn't too happy about the 6 minute preview but the trailer got me excited.

That being said, wasn't Barry happy about being a hero? He was pretty excited about it for the first few episodes
He was. His moment with the mugger after getting coffee is great. Sorry if my earlier comment implied that Flash isn't having fun as a hero.
And I would say Atom is as well.

Now everything else DC outside of that in TV and movies seems far too glum.

It also doesn't have a "You have failed this city."
Nothing else has that because they know it won't be as awesome.

Chilikar

He was. His moment with the mugger after getting coffee is great. Sorry if my earlier comment implied that Flash isn't having fun as a hero.
And I would say Atom is as well.

Nothing else has that because they know it won't be as awesome.

I agree, I loved that scene with the mugger hahah. Sorry It was actually my mistake, I completely misread your post.

Wiktor

On TV only Arrow isn't having much fun doing what he does. Everbody else is pretty damn happy, even his sidekicks are happy. Which kind of makes sense, because Olie is a PTSD'ed socipath at heart :D

Effect

Finished the pilot and can simply say I really enjoyed it. More so then I enjoyed the Flash pilot save for that ending with Wells. That was crazy. The pilot at a point comes close to that crazy for me but doesn't actually manage to fully get there. I think that's because the Flash thing was referencing something very obvious and potentially big in DC lore. What Supergirl does in regard to
introducing Fort Rev and the amount of prisoners that escape and the reveal of the big bad
sets up some really interesting things to come and shows they hopefully aren't going to be wasting time story wise.

There is some iffy dialogue but I can count what bothered me on one hand and the whole "girl" conversation isn't among that. There is some general pilot pacing issues but I've grown to ignore those and I doubt most will be bothered by them. Especially by the end of the episode.

Melissa Benoist is great and like Grant Gustin being the thing that really helps make the Flash work she does the same thing here for Supergirl. The casting of her was great and how she is handled is really well done. I enjoyed the Kara scenes just as much as the Supergirl scenes. It's hard for me to say which version I like more.
I never got the impression the Kara when she's at work is a front. That's just her personality in the situations she finds herself in. No purposefully bumbling Clark Kentish (I really dislike this version of Clark Kent) thing going on here. She's just awkward in some situations it seems, like any other person when trying not to piss off their boss. I can also easily see them playing with the Kara/Jimmy relationship. Sure they're friends but it's clear she also likes him and I think the chemistry between the two of them is really good.

This being a Berlanti show the speed at which things are done and address so far seems to be on par with Flash. This I can see being a double edge sword and I've been wondering about this for a while. I love that Flash and Arrow are like this. I do wonder how those that don't watch these shows will adjust to that unless a lot of shows on CBS do move quickly with their plot points. That could make people feel like the show is rushing when it's not. There's just no fluff or filler. I'm hoping this show has long memory the way Flash and Arrow do.

Music as others have said is really good. I don't get why they used that music in the trailer. Effects are really good as well. Acting all around was solid.

Effect

I do wish this wasn't leaked. At least not as far in advance as it was. The wait for this is going to be really long. hehe If it was bad I wouldn't care but it was really enjoyable.

Joni

Which reminds me: this show has no "Run, Barry, Run!" equivalent.
Even worse, it has no Supergirl saying cool while the Arrow scoots away and him stopping to do the same.

On TV only Arrow isn't having much fun doing what he does. Everbody else is pretty damn happy, even his sidekicks are happy. Which kind of makes sense, because Olie is a PTSD'ed socipath at heart :D
You can imagine those Justice League meetings. Everyone really positive and joking around except Oliver being annoyed at all of them.

Supergirl's pilot literally only has one story (Kara's reveal and her fight with the one alien), and the sole identity reveal was a complete non-starter because it caused no actual fallout besides a fun montage sequence. There are different beats sure, but not much more that it seems like it's out of focus or anything.
Kara
reveals her identity immediately to her co-worker, James Olson immediately tells he knows her, the sister turns out to work for the alien guys. So outside of Cat, every character knows she is Supergirl from that one episode. Starts the love story, gives the big flashback. Has the plane saving, the random crimes with the costume and the Lumberjack fight who we lose too fast despite being a known actor.
I just have the feeling it could reduced a bit.

Mariolee

I actually enjoyed that a lot more than I thought I would. My only big problem (aside from
the Superman name dropping constantly
) is James Olson. He's too perfect. I hope they flesh him out a bit more, especially since this is a much manlier interpretation of him than we've seen before so we can't really use predisposed comic lore to help better understand him.

Other that, I'm absolutely in love with Melissa Benoist.

FoneBone

If they had to go with the whole Superman-exists-but-is-never-going-to-appear thing, I'm not sure that having characters repeatedly refer to Supes as "he" or "him" or "my/your/her cousin" rather than "Superman" makes it less awkward.

It's going to be drinking-game fodder very quickly.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What's so bad about it? The alien underestimated her precisely because she was a girl. He even boasted about women in his homeworld bowing to men.

But that dialogue wasn't from the alien. It was between the alien affairs dude and her sister. It just felt amateurishly written and really cliche. A lot of the dialogue felt like what I would write if I was making a parody of the CW shows.

Pilot was really hit and miss with me. Overall very happy with it, but some red flags as well.

Kara's super cute, and I was really happy to see her open up to a friend immediately, but that was mostly mitigated by the secret service trying to force her back into hiding.

We get it. She's a girl. That speaks for itself. It doesn't need to be brought up in every other scene.

Not enough time is invested into liking Alex before she gets all bitchy on Kara. In general, it feels like too little time is invested in establishing relationships, so everything feels superficial.

As others have said, wondering what Superman is up to (plus Barry/Ollie if they're in this universe) will make up most of the show unless a damn good reason for his absense is explained.

Die, Oliver, Die

That's perfect.

"she can't do it"

come on.

Yup.

This would make sense if she were talking to the alien, and not the general who said nothing of the sort. It was pretty random, lol.

It also doesn't have a "You have failed this city."

lmao

I'm down with this.

Flash |OT| Run, Barry, Run.
Supergirl |OT| Fly, Kara, Fly.
Arrow |OT| ?????, Oliver, ?????

I can't think of anything for Oliver.

Actually, can we do that for the Flash Season 2 OT?

foxtrot3d

Banned
I have mixed feelings about the pilot and basically thought it was average. I also thought that the trailer released showed WAY too much, you basically didn't even need to watch the episode. The Flash reveal trailer was just as long but there was still a good amount held back for you to have some fun not knowing all the beats. Any who, the pilot set everything up well enough so we'll just have to wait and see how everything turns out.

Two points that really stick out to me:
1) "Why because she's a GIRL?" I really do hope that the show doesn't constantly do this, like what writer thinks that is a good idea. It's as if they think that having people specifically underestimate her simply because she's a girl and then having her overcome those expectations they think they are being so "progressive" for lack of a better term, in truth it's more insulting.

2) Curious how the SFX will hold up as the series goes. The flying I witnessed was both good and bad at certain parts, makes me wonder if they'll be limiting it a lot during fight sequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom