• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

They could say he
died in her teen years, the flashbacks still work and have way a more sentimental purpose. Jimmies mission, the photos etc all still work. Only the last conversation should really become "he wanted you to have this, if and when you made the choice. The show could explore ways of bringing him back, but moreso the show would be about her.
Indeed.
And part of her growth could be taking down the guy that killed Superman.

Sober

That would be some next level Berlanti & co. grossness if
Kara was the one in the dark and Olsen and the DEO all know Superman has been dead for a while and they're keeping it a secret from Kara.

Gross.

I love it. I hate it.

whats with the spoiler tags everywhere? Has an episode aired already?

Anyway, trailer looked alright. Pretty ... spotty ... acting at times but that is a huge role to play, so no doubt will have those 6 episode jitters ala Gotham. Gotham really came into its own the latter half.

I guess the main thing to look forward to is the inevitable clash between her and Superman. That could be cool.

Anyway, trailer looked alright. Pretty ... spotty ... acting at times but that is a huge role to play, so no doubt will have those 6 episode jitters ala Gotham. Gotham really came into its own the latter half.

I guess the main thing to look forward to is the inevitable clash between her and Superman. That could be cool.

The pilot episode has leaked online already. Some people theorise its an intentional leak to gauge community feedback.

Sean

Banned
Sorta mixed reaction to this pilot.

- Melissa Benoist is wonderful, charming, full of charisma, beautiful, plays the part perfectly.
- Can't say I really care for any of the supporting cast members though.
- The dialogue was extremely bad and heavy handed. The female waitress
literally screaming "Can you believe it? A female hero! Nice for my daughter to have someone to look up to!" as the misogynist truck-driver villain demands she hurry up and fetch him coffee.
Ugh.
- I preferred some of her initial costumes like the one during the bank scene. I'm not in love with the muted colors, stockings and thigh-high boots final costume design.
- Some of the flying and fight choreography is kinda meh, which is a little worrying since pilots usually have a larger budget than standard episodes.
-
I like that a bunch of people know her secret already. Though did think it's kinda funny how none of her colleagues noticed her on the TV news report, and her boss didn't spot the resemblance in that "clean photo" of Supergirl that Kara was literally standing right next to.
-
The Superman mentions were really distracting and got kinda irritating. The fact that he exists and is constantly mentioned detracts from the show cause now instead of being invested in Kara's journey, everyone will probably just be wondering when Supes shows up. Terrible idea.
- I think this would've greatly benefited from being a two-hour pilot.

Overall I enjoyed it and will be tuning in for at least several episodes to see how things shape up. I'm hoping the awful dialogue was just a pilot thing and that future episodes will have more subtle writing. I trust in Greg Berlanti.

Auctopus

Just watched the pilot.

- What the hell is with the tone? Devil Wears Prada meets Superheroes? Did they really need to hit every cliche in the girly rom-com?
- I liked the setpieces, nice level of quality to the SFX.
- Acting level was good enough but again, Cara was a little "New York is such a busy city, I'm hopeless with guys and live in a massive apartment."
- Just a few too many tropes.
- I liked the criminal setup but God, there's some plot holes that need explaining.

Comment that are sort of spoilery:

-
Guy who asks her out on a date in the first 10 minutes suddenly becomes gay best friend after new love interest appears.
-
Glad they're not afraid to beat her up.
-
Her sister repeatedly turning up was a little irritating, I don't know how I feel about a small handful of people all knowing about her powers.
-
We didn't need to hear all about her sister's insecurities in the first episode.
-
Convenient pep talk from Mum. That whole scene was pretty terrible.
-
Big, bossy boss man who hates aliens is won over by a well-timed emotional speech.

Overall, I'm pretty hopeful.

ericexpo

Second episode should be superman leaving superman returns style, disappears going to stop darkseid or being prisoner on darkseids planet returns as a villain in a later season. This could set up the idea of Jimmy watching over her.

some cringe worthy stuff but will watch, I was pretty unsure of the flash when that leaked too.

Briarios

There is no chance WB/DC will allow Superman to be cast for this whilst in the middle of the MoS franchise. Similar reason why the Smallville producers couldn't cast Bruce Wayne despite trying. Why risk a billion dollar property by confusing audiences?

Considering they have a successful Flash show and are still doing a Flash movie, the weight of that argument is kinda gone.

However, if the upcoming Superman movies are poorly received, they have a quick in for the TV show -- if they want him showing up.

RedAssedApe

Banned

the pilot was leaked.

Effect

As long as they address what Superman is doing in relation to what was shown in the pilot he doesn't really need to show up. They just have to address that and why he's willing to leave Kara alone to handle things (keeps the focus on her) and all it takes is a few lines of dialogue and the problem is solved. It's a solution some might not like but it's the most likely option if they aren't going to actually cast a Superman to show up on the show.

He has to be mentioned but I don't think that at all takes away from her. By her very existence you have to acknowledge Superman and the comparisons are fair to be made because she is "younger" and less experienced. The point is for her to become more experienced and perhaps do something he wasn't able to at her age or at all. These are the issues one has to just accept when you do a show, movie, or even comic about her. You can't detach the two and if you want to you might as be working with a different character completely and rename the show. I like to think the writers and show runners and WB/CBS understood that before deciding to work on this.

Mariolee

Basically, everything that isn't about Kara, anything that pulls focus off her, is not great. And the biggest thing pulling focus off her in this show is Superman. And the way they treat him exacerbates the situation, because they're literally treating him as such a superior being that they won't even speak his fucking name.

For a large part of the show, Kara's motivation is realizing her potential, and helping people, making a difference, and starting to feel like she actually does belong in her own skin. That shit is charming as hell the way Benoist plays it, and I invest in that pretty strongly when that's happening. But then they undercut it by essentially adding a heavy glaze of "If only I was as cool/strong as my cousin! I hope he approves of me!"

Not that there isn't a way to do that (look at Spidey and Captain America in the comics, for example) but you either need that superhero to be around every now and again, and one-on-one interacting with our protagonist, or you need that hero to die so OUR hero can step up.

In fact, for a quick second there, I thought this was essentially going to be a riff on Spider-Man, starring Supergirl, and I thought that was a decent way to go at it.

And yeah, as Cheebs pointed out, the level of threat this show introduces makes it really weird that the Superman won't show up. That's not the kind of shit Superman would shrug at and go "eh. Cuz has that one."

A good solution may be something like before in Superman Returns where he gets a signal that remnants of Krypton may have been saved and that he goes off to explore and Kara is told by him to be the protector of Earth while he's gone. Then say something like this whole season he's been testing her and now it's time for her to step up for real. I think it'd be a bit much to just kill him off for the sake of the show like that.

Skux

Late response, sorry, but I meant only that we are in the golden age of the super hero--that a Supergirl television show exists at all, that we can all talk about it, just really drives it home. It's awesome.

The best part is seeing comments from 50 and 60 year olds.

ZMP5RRn.png

People who grew up reading comics for decades, and have been there a for all the stories, character launches, world-changing events, and all the adaptations that never really did their character justice because the special effects and budget just wasn't there and people didn't have much faith in comic book adaptations being successful. And now their favourite characters for decades are coming to life on film and TV and getting recognition in ways they never could have dreamed. It must be really special for them.

I liked the pilot but I can't say I liked it more than the pilot of Smallville or even The Flash. Overall I like the casting, Melissa is great when she is playing the Supergirl role but when she is Kara, I can't tell if the problem is his acting or the script, but I think the "cute, silly, girl next door" acting is overplayed.

I liked the fights too and the fact she gets beaten to some extend, is very welcome.

Late response, sorry, but I meant only that we are in the golden age of the super hero--that a Supergirl television show exists at all, that we can all talk about it, just really drives it home. It's awesome.

Gotcha. Yeah, I was thinking something similar just as the S shield flashed up for the title screen. I was like "Man. It's a legitimate Supergirl show. This is pretty damned cool."

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I liked it more than I expected to actually, but i'm going to chime in with the doubters that
Superman's mentioned and not actual presence will be bothersome if continued. I mean, asking Jimmy to give her as personal a gift like that? Why wouldn't he fly over and do it himself while giving her a pat on the back. I can buy it once or twice. But if they continue to relay motivational messages through proxies I won't care for it. Melissa was wonderful.

Yeah,
he has to show up at some point with the way they presented him in the pilot... would make no sense that superman doesn't give a shit about his cousin or alien invaders. Show would be better, not worse, if superman showed up here and there, and the possibilities for Flash/Arrow would be amazing too. Hope DC allows a tv superman to have a presence.

MartyStu

The Pilot has a ton of issues and I am sure most of them have been discussed to death.

The important thing is that at its core, this show is very lovely. And pretty well directed.

And I agree with what many are saying in regards to Superman's absence. Eventually, he NEEDS to be on the show.

And more importantly, he NEEDS to be de-powered at some point.

A de-powered Clark Kent running around for an extended period of time would be really interesting.

Kara will need a mentor.

Kevin

The Pilot has a ton of issues and I am sure most of them have been discussed to death.

The important thing is that at its core, this show is very lovely. And pretty well directed.

And I agree with what many are saying in regards to Superman's absence. Eventually, he NEEDS to be on the show.

And more importantly, he NEEDS to be de-powered at some point.

A de-powered Clark Kent running around for an extended period of time would be really interesting.

Kara will need a mentor.

Yeah it would be awesome to see a de-powered Superman in which Kara must find a way to save and return his powers. Could be an awesome arc.

Sober

It's okay guys, Superman is secretly dead. But they don't tell Kara to protect her. But we (Kara and us) won't find out until maybe episode 22.

I made this up don't you fucking come after me.

Gibbo

The really got the flying animation down - the part which stood out for me
Just after saving the plane - she does this small vertical jump before flying off
. It looks really well done.

Joni

Just after saving the plane - she does this small vertical jump before flying off
And it is nice they distinguished it from their Firestorm CGI who flies off immediately with a little curve.

Patryn

Considering they have a successful Flash show and are still doing a Flash movie, the weight of that argument is kinda gone.

However, if the upcoming Superman movies are poorly received, they have a quick in for the TV show -- if they want him showing up.
Except Arrow had to kill off Deadshot and stop using the Suicide Squad because of the movie.

The Flash thing appears to be the exception to the rule.

When that happened I half expected her to
fall in the water before flying again

Mariolee

Except Arrow had to kill off Deadshot and stop using the Suicide Squad because of the movie.

Source? I thought they said multiple times they don't have any mandates from DC to do things like that?

Wiktor

I think Deadshot might actually be the the exception. They seem to usually have free reign and WB puts the brakes only from time to time. They actually can use Suicide Squad, just not Deadshot and Harley. But they just had Katana on the show despite her being in SS movie.

Joni

I think Deadshot might actually be the the exception. They seem to usually have free reign and WB puts the brakes only from time to time. They actually can use Suicide Squad, just not Deadshot and Harley. But they just had Katana on the show despite her being in SS movie.
They might not even have wanted to use Harley outside of the short cameo. From what Guggenheim has told, we only know they couldn't use Deadshot and Ted Kord, and that they can't mention Metropolis/Gotham.

Mariolee

They might not even have wanted to use Harley outside of the short cameo. From what Guggenheim has told, we only know they couldn't use Deadshot and Ted Kord, and that they can't mention Metropolis/Gotham.

But Supergirl mentioned Metropolis and Superman so I'm not sure those rules are steadfast.

Pachimari

xenist

Madridista;165036318[URL="http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=120925" said:
ARROW Producers Had "Big Plans" For 'Harley Quinn' Before SUICIDE SQUAD Ruined Them[/URL]

"Ruined?"

Considering how well Arrow is currently written the jury is still out.

these superhero series are all rubbish..

but melissa benoist man!

also they basically just remade louis & clark from the 90s but switched everybody's gender i guess?

anyway, melissa benoist man..

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
That makes her his aunt or mother.

Not necessarily. If the El name is paseed through the men, then Kara's dad is Jor El's brother. So Kara's aunt would only be related to Superman if her mom was Lara's sister. Which, based on the classic version of the character, isn't the case.

Edit: Beaten.

If this show actually gets added to the
multiverse we got a hint of in the Flash finale
it's gonna be crazy.

And the Pilot was pretty okay, too. A bit heavy on the "but shes a GIRL" thing but I can deal.

Mariolee

Oh, that sucks. Never knew that.

Those rules might be there because of Supergirl and Gotham.

Gotham I ignores because it wasn't part of the Arrowverse but Supergirl is so maybe they're being more flexible with the Batman Supes namedropping. Is the new Titans/Blackbirds or whatever show also part of the Arrowverse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom