• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
im curious who the story, scenario writer was for the game.

i still cant believe how much effort was put into the extra content update let alone it having been free on top of that

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Okay, bought the game for the second time. It was damn expensive (even used), so I hope the changes are worth it.
I hope the waifu part of the game won't be as off-putting as last time :p

im curious who the story, scenario writer was for the game.

i still cant believe how much effort was put into the extra content update let alone it having been free on top of that

I have looked everywhere online and I haven't been able to find out who wrote this. Although I could do without the
harem/fan service stuff that they throw at you every 2 minutes between events :p Sinon however, I have no complaints about. Wish all characters were like her in a way, with better resemblance to their personas from the show.
But whatever it's silly fun and the gameplay is rock solid. So far, I could go as far as calling this my GOTY.

Parakeetman

Okay, bought the game for the second time. It was damn expensive (even used), so I hope the changes are worth it.

man that sucks tho that how the game data contains the save too so unless you uploaded to ps plus beforehand id imagine your save data got deleted when you removed the game.

hate how the vitas os works like that with the game data

or if you used the content manager to back it up onto your pc

hope you have a better time this time around! (・∀・)ノ

Phlebas

Banned

I have the Asian region version, do you want the DLC that came with it? I don't have an HK account to use it on.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
man that sucks tho that how the game data contains the save too so unless you uploaded to ps plus beforehand id imagine your save data got deleted when you removed the game.

hate how the vitas os works like that with the game data

or if you used the content manager to back it up onto your pc
I've just checked and nope, no data on the cloud.
I usually back up my saves to ps+ if I think that I might buy the game again after it's patched and get's super cheap or just leave the data if the sequel/g version might have a transfer, but with SAO I probably thought "no way I'm playing this again" and outright deleted it.
That's no big deal though, because I haven't played it for that long and I don't remember anything about the controls etc., so starting over is actually a good idea.
I have the Asian region version, do you want the DLC that came with it? I don't have an HK account to use it on.
Thanks, but I've bought the Japanese version on the release date and downloaded all the pre-order dlc that came with it (if there was any, I honestly don't remember), so it should still be on my account, I guess.

Edit: Yup, it was there. Just downloaded the wedding dresses pre-order dlc.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
your game is haunted burn it and the vita before its too late! (/ロ゜)/
ε≡≡ヘ( ´Д`)ノ

Really enjoying how polished this feels in terms of imitating an actual MMO. For some reason I had an impression this would be a low budget cash-in game and it seems to be the opposite.

Trying to finish AT LEAST the Aincrad arc before my finals / crazy release spree start, just reached floor 96, 72hrs of playing (probably at 80-90 since it doesnt record the times that you restart after you die). Granted I will be juggling between whatever is going on in my life + those weekly releases, but with Aincrad out of the way I'll be able to just go to the Hollow Area and stay there.

Parakeetman

ε≡≡ヘ( ´Д`)ノ

Really enjoying how polished this feels in terms of imitating an actual MMO. For some reason I had an impression this would be a low budget cash-in game and it seems to be the opposite.

this is by far one of the more finely crafted games in a long time was impressed with the psp one initially but they really raised the bar with the new hollow area and redesigned game system and ui

johnyqd

I'm in 100% when this drops in the US - one thing I'm wondering:

I love seeing the progression in RPG's where you start out like a wimp with no skills and slowly gain. Does the entry point for this game mean my characters will all start out with a bazillion skills or will I still be able to enjoy some early progression?

Also I really hope the patch and updates make it over with the game!

Parakeetman

I'm in 100% when this drops in the US - one thing I'm wondering:

I love seeing the progression in RPG's where you start out like a wimp with no skills and slowly gain. Does the entry point for this game mean my characters will all start out with a bazillion skills or will I still be able to enjoy some early progression?

Also I really hope the patch and updates make it over with the game!

Since the story takes place halfway (from Ep. 14) of the first SAO, there is an actual plot related reason why you dont have all of the skills and other things you should have up until the point where the game starts.

It may feel easy at first, but trust me when i say the hollow ramps it up fast.

All of your weapon skills will be starting out at zero. And its those that you raise to get the special attacks and other skills to use. So lots of progression to be made with that in mind.

johnyqd

Since the story takes place halfway (from Ep. 14) of the first SAO, there is an actual plot related reason why you dont have all of the skills and other things you should have up until the point where the game starts.

It may feel easy at first, but trust me when i say the hollow ramps it up fast.

All of your weapon skills will be starting out at zero. And its those that you raise to get the special attacks and other skills to use. So lots of progression to be made with that in mind.

Thanks for the quick reply, no idea why but I'm more excited for this game then anything in the past few years.

Raxious

While playing I'm also gonna try to get the platinum trophy. Only real things I noticed was
get Strea to lvl 5 bond asap, and always get the last hit on bosses
. Now I know how to do the first one, but how do you do the last one?

Parakeetman

While playing I'm also gonna try to get the platinum trophy. Only real things I noticed was

pretty much just gotta pay close attention to the bosses hp and make sure your attack hits to ensure your final attack hits & kills the boss. its not too hard as long as you pay attention during fights and get it set up with debuffs and buffs on yourself

Parakeetman

Thanks for the quick reply, no idea why but I'm more excited for this game then anything in the past few years.

one thing for sure is that is most def one of the more unique titles out this year and you will indeed get your $$$ worth

Raxious

What's the fastest way of leveling up Friend Rank? I'm at rank 4 with Strea through chatting, but it's now going extremely slow.

Stuart444

Although I did not hate the 2nd half of the show like the majority of the people did, I'd have to agree, the Aincrad/ Hollow Fragment arcs in this surpass ALO by a huge margin.

Here's hoping that for their next title they go after GGO and not ALO :p

Nah, if they are going to use another game, it should be both GGO and ALO.

Then you could have the fun of GGO Gunplay (especially if you're the only Sword + Gun user :p ) and ALOs fantasy play which would be more similar to SAO.

But who knows, thinking of it realistically, I'm not sure how they could do another game. ALO doesn't lead off into an alternate story as well as SAO and neither does GGO unless they decide to just retell the actual stories from the LN/Anime, I'm not sure how they could do another game. And we've now had two games based on SAO (IM and this) so doing another one based on SAO seems a bit much.

I don't know... we'll see whenever they announce the sequel officially to this.

Also about the Story/Scenario Writer, whoever did it is probably listed in the credits (and there is two separate ones for both arcs). Don't have time to check the credits out just now but If anyone here has finished the game can just use the movie player and check out either of the credits to see who wrote the arcs.

What's the fastest way of leveling up Friend Rank? I'm at rank 4 with Strea through chatting, but it's now going extremely slow.

Fastest way is just going to Kiritos room, sit on his bed and you'll get a topic to talk about every 5 seconds, this goes for everyone more or less. And the answer 90% of the time is Good/いいね, you'll learn quickly when grinding a persons rank what to reply with but if in doubt, just use that one all the time.

Raxious

Apparently Strea has a big butt, and she likes big breasts...This game is worth it for it's translation alone xD

"It's best for Kirito to sleep earlier.
Assaulting is always tiring, right?"
- Strea, 2014

Hayabusi

Just found out about the game and the series. Like the series a lot (episode 11 now).

Sorry for the stupid question, but which retail version has english subtitles? I didn't get it from the OT, cause it was written before the actual release.

(I am buying the European Version, too. Don't worry ^^)

Phlebas

Banned
Just found out about the game and the series. Like the series a lot (episode 11 now).

Sorry for the stupid question, but which retail version has english subtitles? I didn't get it from the OT, cause it was written before the actual release.

(I am buying the European Version, too. Don't worry ^^)

Asia Region version.

Parakeetman

Fastest way is just going to Kiritos room, sit on his bed and you'll get a topic to talk about every 5 seconds, this goes for everyone more or less. And the answer 90% of the time is Good/いいね, you'll learn quickly when grinding a persons rank what to reply with but if in doubt, just use that one all the time.

Its funny the JP guide book has an actual flow chart for all of the conversations with the proper response to pick so there is an actual formula to it, but for the most part seems like you can raise it fairly easy. The most tricky one seems to be keeping Yui happy with a conversation. I suppose its due to her status being fairly low therefore they wanted to make the conversation path a bit harder to raise her friendship level.

Its hilarious walking around town holding Yui's hand and all the other chicks seem to react to it, even if Kirito and Yui is "father daughter."

Stuart444

Yui's character events are just the most hilarious (including any ones that she's involved with).

She has no shame even if she's with the other girls in a non-decent situation.

Heck in one scene where
Kirito is with the other girls, the Lights went out and when they came back on, all the girls were in towels. Klein (I think) comes to the door, knocks and Yui is about to tell him to come in where Silica quickly shuts her up because she knows what Yui was about to say... since she's done that a few times with Kirito in other scenes

Yui's scenes are great haha.

Parakeetman

Yui's character events are just the most hilarious (including any ones that she's involved with).

She has no shame even if she's with the other girls in a non-decent situation.

Heck in one scene where
Kirito is with the other girls, the Lights went out and when they came back on, all the girls were in towels. Klein (I think) comes to the door, knocks and Yui is about to tell him to come in where Silica quickly shuts her up because she knows what Yui was about to say... since she's done that a few times with Kirito in other scenes

Yui's scenes are great haha.

Im curious as to how many people actually clicked on the last Yui image in the OT lol

Prelude.

Whoa, shipping and custom fees included? Where did you buy it?
1354374808223zxuwdcnuxb.jpg

It's Saturday guys, another GGO episode airing today to get me even more hyped to play!

Man idk how it happened but this licensed game is slowly becoming my favorite game of recent years. For those who haven't already figured it out by my avi, P3 is my most favorite game of all time. The fun and hype that I had playing that game were immense and since then, nothing really stood out as much (maybe P4G, but again not as much).

Hollow Fragment comes, I expect a cheap knock off with shitty gameplay and story and what do I get? A huge game, packed with content, brimming with details and lore that just make it feel like an extension of the show rather than a cheap cash in. Had I not known, I would think the show is actually based on the game, and not the opposite, it is that great.

I really, really hope it does well here in the west, and that it gets the praise that it deserves (although I doubt it). This could very well be the game people point others to when they buy a Vita, just like P4G.

Parakeetman

For folks that dont want spoilers dont watch, but this was footage had posted earlier in the thread. If you want to see what folks mean about taking down stuff higher level than yourself look at my Lv in this vid vs my targets Lv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh7Hie5BOBs

Also me and my favorite non-story based NPC roflstomping things with maces. Boss fight starts from around 6 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFyo-glh6xA

Parakeetman

Yeah I quite like what they have going now, long as they can build on the system they have.

One thing for sure is if its the exact same team they obviously love SAO so it should be in good hands. If I hear of any sort of changing of team members, then Ill start to get worried

Parakeetman

I've just checked and nope, no data on the cloud.
I usually back up my saves to ps+ if I think that I might buy the game again after it's patched and get's super cheap or just leave the data if the sequel/g version might have a transfer, but with SAO I probably thought "no way I'm playing this again" and outright deleted it.
That's no big deal though, because I haven't played it for that long and I don't remember anything about the controls etc., so starting over is actually a good idea.

Thanks, but I've bought the Japanese version on the release date and downloaded all the pre-order dlc that came with it (if there was any, I honestly don't remember), so it should still be on my account, I guess.

Edit: Yup, it was there. Just downloaded the wedding dresses pre-order dlc.

Yeah thats a good point, since I remember when I got back into it, took me a little bit of time before I was flying the commands again like in my vids. For a while I was like holy shit that was me playing? lol

The waifu stuff you can skip for the most part anyways if you just want to kill shit and wander around. Besides the story events that is. :D If you just focus on the combat and exploration / loot hunting do think you will have a good time.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah thats a good point, since I remember when I got back into it, took me a little bit of time before I was flying the commands again like in my vids. For a while I was like holy shit that was me playing? lol

The waifu stuff you can skip for the most part anyways if you just want to kill shit and wander around. Besides the story events that is. :D If you just focus on the combat and exploration / loot hunting do think you will have a good time.
I've just started playing. First impressions - normal attack feel much faster and generally better than before (I think), but that damn first burst skill you have is still extremely annoying.
To clarify, Kirito ends it with 2 suuuuuuper sloooooow slaaaashes, which takes out the whole "this is powerful stuff" from the animation. I hope higher level skills are better in that regard.

Stuart444

It's Saturday guys, another GGO episode airing today to get me even more hyped to play!

Hollow Fragment comes, I expect a cheap knock off with shitty gameplay and story and what do I get? A huge game, packed with content, brimming with details and lore that just make it feel like an extension of the show rather than a cheap cash in. Had I not known, I would think the show is actually based on the game, and not the opposite, it is that great.

I really, really hope it does well here in the west, and that it gets the praise that it deserves (although I doubt it). This could very well be the game people point others to when they buy a Vita, just like P4G.

Yeah, Waiting on the next GGO ep as well. Kinda sad it will take a while for the LNs to catch up here (don't really like the fan translation much with Lyfa, Cline, etc.) But I hope the anime continues, want to see how they do the next major arc after Mother's Rosario but based on SAOs popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a S3 relatively quickly.

With SAO, I remember someone saying the game would be a cheap cash in... that is defo not the case and I'm happy with that :D.

Also I'm so glad they made sure Yui was here considering
what happened to her in the anime/LNs SAO arc
. Also having Sinon and Leafa even though they weren't in SAO.

Sequel being planned/in the works

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/08/sword-art-online-hollow-fragment-sequel-gets-green-light/

Haven't completed the game so I don't know where they can go from here story wise, but good news!

Yeah, heard about this earlier and posted what I think about a sequel above, I really don't know where they can go as SAO literally provides the best point for a branch off. ALO and GGO doesn't have that luxury so all I can think is a retelling of the next couple of arcs or an alternative telling of them.

I doubt many SAO fans will want the same story again for the next SAO game (like SAO Floor Clearing + Hollow Fragment Area + new area made just for the sequel).

But yeah, keep the gameplay the same (maybe with some differences depending on the game it is supposed to be ie adding guns for GGO) but with a new story/setting/etc and I'll be happy. The gameplay is fun as anything :D.

Still, All of this is speculation until we hear more about the sequel itself.

Parakeetman

I've just started playing. First impressions - normal attack feel much faster and generally better than before (I think), but that damn first burst skill you have is still extremely annoying.
To clarify, Kirito ends it with 2 suuuuuuper sloooooow slaaaashes, which takes out the whole "this is powerful stuff" from the animation. I hope higher level skills are better in that regard.

Nah some of the other attacks look pretty stupid too. There doesnt seem to be an exact pattern with how the animations are. But if you dont try to focus on that you should be fine lol. You want to see some real weird stuff use the mace. Will make the 1HS seem AWEEEEEEESOOOOOOOOMEEEEE lol

You can tell like the mace animations were made more with female characters in mind rather than Kirito...

One weapon type I have not used all that much was the spear. Am curious to see how the higher level attacks look with that.

Sitrus

Yeah, Waiting on the next GGO ep as well. Kinda sad it will take a while for the LNs to catch up here (don't really like the fan translation much with Lyfa, Cline, etc.) But I hope the anime continues, want to see how they do the next major arc after Mother's Rosario but based on SAOs popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a S3 relatively quickly.

With SAO, I remember someone saying the game would be a cheap cash in... that is defo not the case and I'm happy with that :D.

Also I'm so glad they made sure Yui was here considering
what happened to her in the anime/LNs SAO arc
. Also having Sinon and Leafa even though they weren't in SAO.

Yeah, heard about this earlier and posted what I think about a sequel above, I really don't know where they can go as SAO literally provides the best point for a branch off. ALO and GGO doesn't have that luxury so all I can think is a retelling of the next couple of arcs or an alternative telling of them.

I doubt many SAO fans will want the same story again for the next SAO game (like SAO Floor Clearing + Hollow Fragment Area + new area made just for the sequel).

But yeah, keep the gameplay the same (maybe with some differences depending on the game it is supposed to be ie adding guns for GGO) but with a new story/setting/etc and I'll be happy. The gameplay is fun as anything :D.

Still, All of this is speculation until we hear more about the sequel itself.

Well they could always start with the alicization arc which I personally think may work wonders. Especially if they include Morpheus support. A borderlands 2-like GGO may also be quite fun to play.

Top Bottom