• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

I tweeted @jkarte that I would pay additional money if they released the update as DLC, here's hoping it gets passed along and they try to in the US.

I tweeted @jkarte that I would pay additional money if they released the update as DLC, here's hoping it gets passed along and they try to in the US.

That's quite some enthusiasm, but I mean asking to pay for something that was offered for free everywhere else is a bit... idk. I feel like if they did charge for it, the onslaught from everyone would be even worse than it already is because of the DD only thing.

Stuart444

The update won't be DLC, it will be just that, an update. :) I'm positive on that.

I'm also positive we'll get most of the DLC. Hopefully including the GGO ones that got released with the update. (I want dat Sinon GGO DLC)

also Customs and shipping are a bitch for the UK.

Latest thing I imported (Atelier Shallie premium + Escha&Logy anime vol 1) cost like £15ish and I got hit with £27ish at customs :/ (and this is with Amiami btw, they bill you at release for shipping instead of making it a flat rate cost which is usually higher than what the actual shipping is for them)

Prelude.

If only Nippon-Yasan had those asian versions I'd buy it from them since they're bros and lower the value of the parcel if you ask them to. Play Asia is literally the worst.

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
This topic is so active now! Really awesome to see all the new people. Nearly 90 hours spent and my 2nd favorite game of all time. Hope everyone else enjoys it a lot too. :)

72h and counting. I think I'll only be able to put it down after beating both arcs and the patch content. Still got 4 floors in Aincrad plus 3 areas in the Hollow Area. And all of the content from the patch too. I can easily see myself going over 100h clocked in (not counting when you die and your timer restarts).

Stuart444

Ya know, I might as well add one more complaint to my small list of complaints about this game.

The Hollow Area never resets. If you want to play the story of it again, you need to reset your data (I believe you can do that in the options menu).

NG+ is only for Floor Clearing, Hollow Area stays the same and doesn't reset.

Nice if you want
Philia to be available from the get go for floor clearing
but I still wish it gave us an option to reset Hollow Area progress.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh, well. Good for you.

With how much play asia throws around coupons am sure if you asked around GAF someone would have an extra one for you.

Offering to pay for something that should be free isnt exactly the smartest thing to do.

Parakeetman

In order for me to pay €40 I'd probably need a 50% discount.

Hmmm I forgot how much the highest coupons they have are, but the downside to them is there usually is some sort of order minimum that must be done to allow said coupon to take effect.

Though I think if you do a search on GAF there is a thread specifically for asking for Play Asia coupons or was one anyways? Could have sworn I saw it a while back somewhere.

It was something free for the Japanese release and neglected elsewhere, if the localization will cost more for the additional content I am okay with it. It's no like it is on disc content. Of course I would prefer, but just bring it over is all.

Prelude.

Hmmm I forgot how much the highest coupons they have are, but the downside to them is there usually is some sort of order minimum that must be done to allow said coupon to take effect.

Though I think if you do a search on GAF there is a thread specifically for asking for Play Asia coupons or was one anyways? Could have sworn I saw it a while back somewhere.
Yeah, there's a thread like that, but at this point I'll just wait a bit and see if it gets cheaper.

It was something free for the Japanese release and neglected elsewhere, if the localization will cost more for the additional content I am okay with it. It's no like it is on disc content. Of course I would prefer, but just bring it over is all.
Neglected where? Every version got the update so far.

Parakeetman

Yeah, there's a thread like that, but at this point I'll just wait a bit and see if it gets cheaper.

id imagine that its selling quite well now again thanks to season 2 of the show, compounded by the fact seen here with people wanting a physical version dont think the price would drop anytime soon unfortunately

Spent another 3 hours trying to beat the lvl 180
dragon on floor 97.
I was ready to give up after so many tries, but you know us gamers: "just one more before bed". Surely enough I beat the little son of a bitch, took a while but he went down right after I said I would put the game down. Apparently there's another one of these on this floor...
A lvl 180 arachnid. Yay. Another one of those fuckers.
Calling it quits for tonight LOL.

Wouldn't it be better to have a game based on the game in the anime than a game based on the anime and its characters? Like persistent MMO that is ultra hard or something?

But with this game just what you said, you get a game based on the game in the anime, all subsystems, gameplay elements from the show PLUS the characters in it, which I take you probably don't like.

Parakeetman

Wouldn't it be better to have a game based on the game in the anime than a game based on the anime and its characters? Like persistent MMO that is ultra hard or something?

no mmos dont sell and are a waste of time and resources in this day and age for the most part

But with this game just what you said, you get a game based on the game in the anime, all subsystems, gameplay elements from the show PLUS the characters in it, which I take you probably don't like.

But you don't get an MMO with a highly persistent world, with everyone working towards the same goal, with all of the social interaction.

Stuart444

But you don't get an MMO with a highly persistent world, with everyone working towards the same goal, with all of the social interaction.

Making an MMO of SAO would be expensive and a lot of people that liked the show wouldn't go for it. You'd have to make battles almost the same as the anime or people would reject it.

Network lag and the way MMOs tend to be built wouldn't lend itself well to stuff like deflecting a Giant Katana with your characters own sword for instance.

MMO gamers wouldn't go for it either because there isn't the concept of magic or even dedicated healing characters.

So that'd be an MMO that many SAO fans don't want/like/not what they expected and MMO fans that don't like it. (which is why I bet some of these fan projects that are trying to recreate Aincrad will fail eventually if they ever get done)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
After playing the patched version for a while (still haven't reached the city, blame Xenoblades, lol), I have to say that the game indeed feels faster and smoother than before.

For everyone who wants a Japanese action RPG, try PSO2 (when the IP problems are resolved), the idea of a just attack (and just guard) in an online game is from PSO iirc :)

I may be incorrect, but I read a quote from the producer or designer for the game who said they are not completely committed to bringing the patch to the US/UK versions.

If t were a money issue for the additional content portion, I am all for supporting them through a financial transaction, the ge update portion I feel should just be part of an update every region should receive.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I may be incorrect, but I read a quote from the producer or designer for the game who said they are not completely committed to bringing the patch to the US/UK versions.

If t were a money issue for the additional content portion, I am all for supporting them through a financial transaction, the ge update portion I feel should just be part of an update every region should receive.
Problem is that the update is not only the "additional content" but also bug/balance fixes plus features which should've been in the game from the start. Not giving people that would be weird.

The patch doesn't just give you content, as a matter of fact, you cannot pay for a patch. Patches come from the developer/publisher to your game cart, not from the PSN store. So asking to pay for something like this would require not only the localization, but the coding to turn it into a DLC that fixes the game and adds that content. That sounds really silly now doesn't it :p the patch is just what the name implies, it's a fix. Sure this one brought some content, but you are forgetting that this came out to fix problems in the game.

Parakeetman

thats not going to happen due to tge blowback that they would get for it. on top of that its still work towards something that they are not sure folks would buy or not. lastly its actual gameplay, bug fixes therefore a real patch and not dlc which leads us back to the first statement bout how many people would be pissed and just buy the asian version to spite them.

Stuart444

Like I said before, I'm pretty sure we're getting the patch.

The game is out in about a week and a few days in the west sooo... hype! Hope everyone that hasn't played it and is lurking this thread enjoys it :p

The game looks decent but what i would like to know if this is more of an action rpg or Monhun style game.

It's neither lol. It's really hard to explain, I feel like parakeet has done it a bunch of times and done a better job than me at it. It is a skill based game, meaning you have a grid full of skills, and activating them gives you either a buff, or it's an attack. Each little skill has a cool down period, so you can't go spamming it after using it. Hence it not being an action game. From what folks say this is the closest you can get to playing an MMO, the developers themselves call it a pseudo-MMO.

THEaaron

My Vita purchase ist justified with this game. And Rogue Legacy, and Final Fantasy, and Persona, and... Oh my god. This system has good software but no one seems to appreciate it.

Can't wait to play this game. Come to Germany my jewel. :D

My Vita purchase ist justified with this game. And Rogue Legacy, and Final Fantasy, and Persona, and... Oh my god. This system has good software but no one seems to appreciate it.

Can't wait to play this game. Come to Germany my jewel. :D

The Vita has a huge list of games that I would consider my favourites of all time. Persona, Danganronpa, VLR, among others, and lastly SAO. I would say this game is either my # 1 or 2 fav game on the system. Hope you enjoy it as well!

Parakeetman

The game looks decent but what i would like to know if this is more of an action rpg or Monhun style game.

its not a hunting action game.

closest thing is an action rpg but at the same time designed after skill based mmos where you will be using various skills set to your quick select menus or the massive skill window.

if you want to see what combat is like browse a page or two back since i had some stuff linked that i recorded am on mobile device so cant link you to it myself.

those who have played more modern mmos will feel quite at home with this game.

someone else do me a favor and link this guy to my EDF ant vid with me using a katana

watching a vid of me playing will show off a lot of crazy stuff.

Labadal

It's neither lol. It's really hard to explain, I feel like parakeet has done it a bunch of times and done a better job than me at it. It is a skill based game, meaning you have a grid full of skills, and activating them gives you either a buff, or it's an attack. Each little skill has a cool down period, so you can't go spamming it after using it. Hence it not being an action game. From what folks say this is the closest you can get to playing an MMO, the developers themselves call it a pseudo-MMO.

Cool thanks. Is it feasible to play on your own?

Stuart444

There is also Tales of Hearts R coming out on Vita in November, so anyone looking for an Action JRPG can't exactly go wrong with it :)

Vita is a great little device.

Yes, the game is a primarily a single player game sort of like .hack series which is a SP game set in a MMO style world.

The only MP in this is ad-hoc MP in the Hollow Area (and you can even do an SP style MP where you play with AI folks, it helps to level up your other characters/partners when they fall behind in level.) so yeah you can play on your own no problem :)

Parakeetman

yes since this is mainly a single player game.

there is mp adhoc and an offline pseudo mp where you can take 3 other ai npcs with you and they all gain exp along with you

argh fucking smartphone touch screen typos. i swear to god i hate touch anything

Everything in this game is "pseudo"-like aha. There really isn't an online component to the game, everything, from the 100 characters visible in the main town and the fields, to your companions is all AI acting and playing on their own, making it feel like you really are playing an MMO. As a matter of fact you don't even need to be connected to WiFi at all, don't let the title mislead you. The game is purely a sp only game, with MMO elements, and AI acting as people that are present with you.

Parakeetman

Everything in this game is "pseudo"-like aha. There really isn't an online component to the game, everything, from the 100 characters visible in the main town and the fields, to your companions is all AI acting and playing on their own, making it feel like you really are playing an MMO. As a matter of fact you don't even need to be connected to WiFi at all, don't let the title mislead you. The game is purely a sp only game, with MMO elements, and AI acting as people that are present with you.

also if you let any of the non essential npcs die during the boss raid events in aincrad they are dead for good. so keep that in mind. story related npcs if they die its game over.

though out in the field if non essential npcs die it does not count against you or add to the death count.

a bunch of folks here have put in over 50 hours easy others nearing 90.

I'm at 75 clocked in (game doesn't record how many hours you have if you die, and I die a lot battling the over levelled enemies as a challenge lol) so more like 80-90hrs and I'm now on floor 97 of 100 from the first arc, 3rd area of 5 in the second arc, and the patch stuff I haven't even touched yet and that one adds another 30hrs to the game. Hope that puts some perspective into how massive this is.

Top Bottom