• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

MrMuscle

Are you guys playing as Kirito or are you making your "own" character? Being in EU i cant play yet, but i think ill just let Kirito be Kirito. Just feels like thats the way to play it for me.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ok, just watched the first 15 episodes (1 more than the 14th just to have a safe margin). What should I do first in this game? the 24 last floors or the plus content that wasn't in the PSP game? Any tips? Thanks.

The Aincrad stuff is easier to get your bearings with the game for a while, then switch over to the Hollow Fragment side.

Highly suggested to beat Hollow Fragment before clearing Aincrad though.

Just know that Hollow Fragment was created a bit more for veterans of the series in mind, which is why the difficulty is higher than floor clearing in Aincrad.

Also reason why the 2 look so different is due to all the Aincrad stuff was based off the PSP version. So dont be surprised when you notice that.

Yukianesa

Neo Member
Are you guys playing as Kirito or are you making your "own" character? Being in EU i cant play yet, but i think ill just let Kirito be Kirito. Just feels like thats the way to play it for me.

I played as GGO Kirito until I cleared Hollow Fragment's story. Kirito's default avatar is kind of bland and not very interesting to look at from behind.

Blue Griffin

Neo Member
Hooked !!! After reading this thread I watched four episodes back to back...was late for work!

Will be buying a PAL version tomorrow night. Bring it on.

Parakeetman

I don't think I ever had this issue even though others have.

I didn't have any issue with the rear touchpad at all lol.

Its funny considering Ive been playing on my PSV TV most of the time didnt even know there was rear touchpad functionality.

Truthfully the rear touchpad has got to be one of the biggest idiotic ideas ever. Then again as most of you familiar with me know that I hate fucking everything that has to do with touch too so that doesnt help either lol

Doombear

I don't think I ever had this issue even though others have.

I didn't have any issue with the rear touchpad at all lol.

I bumped it once right when I got control of the tutorial area, but haven't had issues since. The space that you need to actually swipe in is only in the middle of the touchpad thankfully. I plan on snapping on my Vita Grip later anyway so it will be even less of an issue.

Just finished the recap. It was fun to see how they reconciled the changes from the Anime.

Stuart444

Someone mentioned ratings in the PSN thread, went to the store and:

ivteuLQ0EZ5b0.png

Awesome :D

Stuart444

So how do you romance? lol. just the excessive grinding of chatting and spamming the only response?

When the text box is a different colour from white, (yellowish?), those conversations can be used/completed to slowly grind the relationship ranks.

Their ranks also seem to go up based on how much you use them/how many of their events you do I think. Since I didn't do much talking and many characters got to rank 3 or more before I tried to grind any.

Is it recommended to stick with dual-wielding swords or should I give something else a go? I've picked up a couple 2-handed axes and a few other swords I think.

I'm enjoying the game a lot so far.

MSMrRound

Triangle button locks on to a target.

If you want to cancel just press X. Pressing Triangle will make your character throw a long range dagger thing to incur their attention (which is great for luring)
Pressing O will cause you to rush up to it to land a blow.

Should you be tangled in a fight and you want to run away, press left or right on your dpad to switch targets, and press X to disengage from the fight. Do not be afraid to use this should you end up being targeted by a mob.

Also, be sure to have some of the healing skills set up in your shortcut bar, especially the one that gives HP regeneration, which helps against bleeding and poison, as these two are among of the statuses that you are most likely going to die to.

Try seeing which skills you want to go for first, before deciding on which weapon you want to use. IMO it's still better to max out one weapon first, before you jump onto others. Don't spread your skill points across too many sword skills just because you want to see how flashy it is. There wouldn't be enough SP for all of the skills.

Personally I started off with Dual Swords since that was how Kirito rolled. Starburst Scream and Eclipse (ultimate skill) is pretty legit and if started properly, Eclipse also gives a bit of invulnerability while you are using the skill. Great for boss fights etc.

If you want to take on Hollow Fragment stuff, please take Parakeetman's advice (like what he told me back then) and get the Rapier's PFT Style (or something like that) which ensures 100% hit rate on enemies when activated.

Please remember that changing areas will automatically auto-save your game, so if you are gunning for that last attack bonus from floor bonuses, when the result screen appear, and it's clear you are not last attacker, JUST SWITCH OFF THE GAME AS FAST AS YOU CAN and you can probably tackle the same boss again.

Stuart444

Is it recommended to stick with dual-wielding swords or should I give something else a go? I've picked up a couple 2-handed axes and a few other swords I think.

I'd recommend checking out other weapons but you can get by with just dual-wielding swords. Eclipse (one of the later dual sword skills) is great imo.

Parakeetman

First and foremost you want to look through the various weapon trees and see which have battle skills you will want to go after. Highly recommend getting the accuracy / SP ones from the Rapier tree and the status ailment recovery ones from the 1H Mace tree.

If you want to kill multiple things at once for more exp faster 2H Axe is the way to go. (though due to low accuracy its suggested to get the accuracy increasing skills first)

If you are unsure of how strong something will be in a fight 1HS + Shield

Id suggest going into the 1HS skill advancement just because you need to max it out anyways if you want to use 2HSwords

----------
Other tips would be for those in the Hollow Area whenever you find treasure that you like leave the area once to activate the auto-save. Constantly pushing too much trying to gain as much loot as you can in a single area will end in tears lol.
over-confidence-cat-eagle-demotivational-poster%255B4%255D.jpg

----------

For those curious with how Infinity Moments UI looked compared to the updated Hollow Fragment one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wqNI_HXA9c&list=UUosxT5X0VL60PqgEd68gGHQ

This is myself right now playing this game:

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

It is like somebody put me inside WoW on a level 90 warrior with green gear and no explanation, then told me to do a Raid Finder. Cooldowns, switches, burst, SP. If this wasn't the tutorial (I guess that I'm in the tutorial, don't know that for sure) I would be dead already.

Parakeetman

This is myself right now playing this game:

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

It is like somebody put me inside WoW on a level 90 warrior with green gear and no explanation, then told me to do a Raid Finder. Cooldowns, switches, burst, SP. If this wasn't the tutorial (I guess that I'm in the tutorial, don't know it for sure) I would be dead already.

Dont worry pretty much everyone will feel like that. At least the new upgrades to the UI makes it a lot easier now than how the game previously used to be.

They threw every single tool on the table that you need to disarm a bomb and told you to get cracking lol.

Better learn fast or be dead pretty much :D

Due to this game goes against the standard designs with trying to funnel the player through a single direction this one allows for you to go where you want with the character and get skills according to how you play. By saving up and purchasing skills that match your style. Though of course you will have to use the weapons in accordance with the battleskills that you may want from their tree. But even if it might be a hassle at the same time one could possibly find a new weapon that they like.

Easy def of switch is it will "switch" the hate (enemy targeting) from you to your partner who will stand in the front. Allowing you to get a small breather to heal, buff or whatever. Just dont attack the enemy too much when like that as you will drive the focus of the enemy back to you. Also dont let your partner die as its gameover if so. With that being said when you do switch keep a close eye on your partners status as you will not be able to switch back using the skill quickly due to a cooldown (time it takes till can use skill again) timer. So you would have to try and drive more hate towards yourself by dealing a lot of damage on target.

MrBS

Day one free swimsuit DLC. This game knows where it's at.

Probably wont get to play until tomorrow due to terrible download speeds at home :(

Stuart444

Parakeetman

Lol, I posted what it looked like a few pages back:

Taken in PPSSPP.

Like I said then, HF is a big improvement in every single way over IM. Just using Star Burst stream forces a skill cutscene each and every time. Feels so slow in comparison to HF.

yeah saw that, though folks need to see what it looked like in motion originally lol. but the game most def is a lot slower than HF.

Stuart444

yeah saw that, though folks need to see what it looked like in motion originally lol.

Lol, I would have done it but my settings being high caused some slow down, I doubt I'd have been able to record it at an acceptable (imo) quality.

Ah well, still. Hope everyone playing it just now is enjoying SAOHF

Dont worry pretty much everyone will feel like that. At least the new upgrades to the UI makes it a lot easier now than how the game previously used to be.

They threw every single tool on the table that you need to disarm a bomb and told you to get cracking lol.

Better learn fast or be dead pretty much :D

Due to this game goes against the standard designs with trying to funnel the player through a single direction this one allows for you to go where you want with the character and get skills according to how you play. By saving up and purchasing skills that match your style. Though of course you will have to use the weapons in accordance with the battleskills that you may want from their tree. But even if it might be a hassle at the same time one could possibly find a new weapon that they like.

Easy def of switch is it will "switch" the hate (enemy targeting) from you to your partner who will stand in the front. Allowing you to get a small breather to heal, buff or whatever. Just dont attack the enemy too much when like that as you will drive the focus of the enemy back to you. Also dont let your partner die as its gameover if so. With that being said when you do switch keep a close eye on your partners status as you will not be able to switch back using the skill quickly due to a cooldown (time it takes till can use skill again) timer. So you would have to try and drive more hate towards yourself by dealing a lot of damage on target.

Thanks, I appreciate it. It helped me here. I liked the open ended design of the game, letting you do whatever you want, it is a breath of fresh air amongside so many corridors.

The only thing that I missed now is probably the Last Hit trophy, I messed it up on the start / tutorial with Philia. But eh, I'm in for the experience and not for trophy hunting this time.

EDIT: Almost died to the first minotaur (tutorial of HF, I guess) boss. Well, if it isn't in a pinch then it isn't anime, I guess.

Parakeetman

Thanks, I appreciate it. It helped me here. I liked the open ended design of the game, letting you do whatever you want, it is a breath of fresh air amongside so many corridors.

The only thing that I missed now is probably the Last Hit trophy, I messed it up on the start / tutorial with Philia. But eh, I'm in for the experience and not for trophy hunting this time.

There are times when your partner may want to switch with you but truthfully Id ignore it since its not always said at the best of times. Esp if you know its an enemy that your partner should not be going toe to toe.

Not sure if the tutorial fight counts?

There will be times where you might die in the game if so just push on. But seriously if you found good loot highly suggest walking out of the zone and back in to autosave. Since the enemy can crit you too if your own Risk status is high.

What Risk is basically the higher it goes the more disadvantages towards your character. "Switching" resets that. You will take more damage and your attack bar will refill slower. Same goes for the enemy though.

There are times when your partner may want to switch with you but truthfully Id ignore it since its not always said at the best of times. Esp if you know its an enemy that your partner should not be going toe to toe.

Not sure if the tutorial fight counts?

If it doesn't count then I'm lucky. Also, the partner keeps asking for stuff every single second of the fight, I feel like I'm in TS/Mumble and my guild leader is screaming at my ears, all over again.

Parakeetman

If it doesn't count then I'm lucky. Also, the partner keeps asking for stuff every single second of the fight, I feel like I'm in TS/Mumble and my guild leader is screaming at my ears, all over again.

The good thing is if you successfully perform said requested actions it helps raise the friendship level with them.

Parakeetman

I guess we won't find out until the end of the game...

I would imagine that it wont considering its the tutorial and all that so folks not getting the last hit due to not understanding the game mechanics yet would be understood by the designer.

Steel

Banned
Is there a way to undub this? Really, really don't like having to hear japanese voices constantly. Hell I'd probably pay $20 for Dub DLC.

And what the hell is up with the O to confirm stuff? Confusing as hell.

MSMrRound

Pressing O to confirm is only natural (Asian PS3/Vita user here). O and X are swapped between Western and Japanese layout. For whatever reason I do not know. It's only logical that you press "O" to confirm stuff and "X" to cancel stuff...cuz you want to "X" it, y'know?

I had to deal with my fair share of pressing X to confirm when O was the natural choice for me too, like those Western release such as Atelier Rorona. Bwhahaha. Time for you guys to feel the same pain.

Stuart444

Is there a way to undub this? Really, really don't like having to hear japanese voices constantly. Hell I'd probably pay $20 for Dub DLC.

O is confirm in Japan. And there is no way to undub something with an english dub if there is no english dub for this.

Steel

Banned
O is confirm in Japan. And there is no way to undub something with an english dub if there is no english dub for this.

Actually I meant undub as in turn off voices altogether ala Fate/Extra. And I know O is confirm in japan, just seems lazy as hell to not even change that much.

Parakeetman

Its been known from the start no english dubs, JP voice with subtitles.

that most likely is due to the halfassing on BanNams part with the localization... that was something pretty much most folks who didnt have hands on early would have known about at all.

darkwing

finally playing the game

The idontknowwhatimdoing.gif fits it perfectly lol although I've grasped a few concepts already but does the SP recharge through time? Besides being able to parry etc..

Stuart444

The DLC isn't all that free lol, gotta buy it in game and it's like 1million D:

Free in real money terms :p

2 tips:

1. If you're going for all Last Attack bonus trophy, DON'T sell them. The PS trophy roadmap says you need all of them in inventory to get the trophy (not tested myself).

And I had to say that one because:

2. You get money easily enough by selling equipment you don't need/plan on using. If you're not going to use it or give it to someone, sell it. I got 30m+ easily by mid-game doing this.

finally playing the game

The idontknowwhatimdoing.gif fits it perfectly lol although I've grasped a few concepts already but does the SP recharge through time? Besides being able to parry etc..

Yes, it recharges through time, items, parry, nice, etc.

Top Bottom