• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Shoyz

Has anybody tested getting using the DLC on an Asia copy of the game? Since it's free it doesn't look like you'd miss out on DLC even if you imported (unless it's incompatible)

johnyqd

In the tutorial area there is a chest guarded by a level 120 or so baddie - should I just ignore this for now?

Timing of the battle system has me completely confused so far.

*Should I be hitting circle after initiating battle or letting auto attack work its magic?

*Any tips on parry and dodge timing?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
In the tutorial area there is a chest guarded by a level 120 or so baddie - should I just ignore this for now?

Timing of the battle system has me completely confused so far.

*Should I be hitting circle after initiating battle or letting auto attack work its magic?

*Any tips on parry and dodge timing?

yeah you might be able to beat it but you can come back later when you have skills unlocked.

auto attack doesnt do too much damage most of it will come from your sword skills.

timing will vary depending on the enemy type due to the animation differences but generally as long as its before an attack connects you should parry it. if it is an attack that you can parry that is.

Protag

Banned
If i get a physical import copy, could i download the patch from the US psn store, or would it have to be on the japanese psn store?

An is that update in english? (Probly obvious but id like to make sure anyway.

johnyqd

yeah you might be able to beat it but you can come back later when you have skills unlocked.

auto attack doesnt do too much damage most of it will come from your sword skills.

timing will vary depending on the enemy type due to the animation differences but generally as long as its before an attack connects you should parry it. if it is an attack that you can parry that is.

Thanks for the quick reply - I'll finish the area out and come back later.

Parakeetman

If i get a physical import copy, could i download the patch from the US psn store, or would it have to be on the japanese psn store?

An is that update in english? (Probly obvious but id like to make sure anyway.

you cant patch your game with a different regions patch. patching isnt linked to you region but the data is therefore you would get the asian patch. dlc would require an asia account though.

to answer the question you should be able to get the asian patch through your us account if that really is the route you want to go.

Parakeetman

Wow, this game is huge

the main part if the game based off of aincrad may seem small, but that is only because its based off of the psp version of the game. therefore design was limited by hardware.

but when you try out the hollow area thats where you will see the game was designed for the vita with larger nicer looking areas.

Cloudy

Banned
the main part if the game based off of aincrad may seem small, but that is only because its based off of the psp version of the game. therefore design was limited by hardware.

but when you try out the hollow area thats where you will see the game was designed for the vita with larger nicer looking areas.

I'm talking about the 3GB download :p

Parakeetman

It'll be nice to play something close to an AAA game on vita after a while. Tired of ports and indie crap!

unfortunately the translations are a bit of a mess in places since it seems they used the Asian version of the text which obviously was not done by a native of the language.

asides from that this is a pretty quality title for an anime licensed game

yeah the hollow area is pretty nice the 2nd one should amuse you more than the first area.

ramyeon

Not even speaking about the quality. I just want to play a game a game that looks like it was designs for vita lol
Funny since this is technically half a HD port and remaster of a PSP game :p

It's good, but it's not a game I would put AAA next to (Actually I don't use that term at all, so there's that as well lol)

ramyeon

the hollow area had a good amount of work put into it. the psp based infinity moment stuff is what one would expect.
Yeah, that's what I mean by half. It's still good but hardly the best show of what the Vita is capable. Doesn't really bother me, I'm not really concerned with that kinda stuff as long as it's fun!

MSMrRound

Funny since this is technically half a HD port and remaster of a PSP game :p

It's good, but it's not a game I would put AAA next to (Actually I don't use that term at all, so there's that as well lol)

Yea, I'm not one for using the AAA term as well.

I'm just glad for these niche games like Danganronpa 2/SAO outside of those other titles that Shahid and the others are throwing at us, since these are more up for my alley.

Wish the effort on the Western front e.g Killzone/Borderlands 2 etc could have been much more robust since there are others complaining about it as well.

So, to folks in the know. Does the patch bring large gameplay improvements, or should I feel free to dive in now and play the new patch stuff as it releases?

ramyeon

Yea, I'm not one for using the AAA term as well.

I'm just glad for these niche games like Danganronpa 2/SAO outside of those other titles that Shahid and the others are throwing at us, since these are more up for my alley.

Wish the effort on the Western front e.g Killzone/Borderlands 2 etc could have been much more robust since there are others complaining about it as well.
Yeah I bought the Vita due to all the great Japanese niche support it was getting and it definitely hasn't disappointed! This month especially is packed full of great releases.

Parakeetman

Yeah, that's what I mean by half. It's still good but hardly the best show of what the Vita is capable. Doesn't really bother me, I'm not really concerned with that kinda stuff as long as it's fun!

i do agree since the infinity momemt stuff does look odd and thats coming from the perspn who played the psp version. still the amount of content the game has is insane and have not regretted the purchase at all.

Parakeetman

So, to folks in the know. Does the patch bring large gameplay improvements, or should I feel free to dive in now and play the new patch stuff as it releases?

that and you will want to be levelled and kitted out for the extra content next month as its made for higher level players

Cloudy

Banned
First battle

dogdriving.jpg

Game looks nice and I like the dialogue. Oh and Philia <3

Firestar

How rare are teleportation crystals? I have 2 but I don't know if I should resist using them unless absolutely necessary or not

zulux21

unfortunately the translations are a bit of a mess in places since it seems they used the Asian version of the text which obviously was not done by a native of the language.

I could have sworn they said they were going to retranslate it for NA...
I mean playing for 5 minutes it's completely obvious it's just the digital version of the asian version (not the translation, didn't have an issue with that, but the game didn't get the normal O and X swap... thus it's screwing me up a lot lol)
First battle

http://www.autocorrectfail.org/sites/autocorrectfail.org/files/dogdriving.jpg[IMG]

Game looks nice and I like the dialogue. Oh and Philia <3[/QUOTE]
my first battle.
hmmm something about timing (mash O) well that worked... hmm I am out... oh if I stand next to an enemy I just continue to attack... something about threat... and reducing it... hmmm try that R1 thing... yup threat down... ok then.

Yukianesa

Neo Member
How rare are teleportation crystals? I have 2 but I don't know if I should resist using them unless absolutely necessary or not

Not very rare. You'll find a lot just from climbing up the floors and exploring in general. You can also buy it from the item shop but, if I recall correctly, crystals are quite expensive. Use it sparingly and you shouldn't have any problems!

Alternatively, pair up with Asuna and use the crystal under her inventory tab. It's basically unlimited use since it restores its usage by itself.

Firestar

Not very rare. You'll find a lot just from climbing up the floors and exploring in general. You can also buy it from the item shop but, if I recall correctly, crystals are quite expensive. Use it sparingly and you shouldn't have any problems!

Alternatively, pair up with Asuna and use the crystal under her inventory tab. It's basically unlimited use since it restores its usage by itself.

Ah, ok awesome. Didn't even think of checking what kind of stuff Asuna could do, glad I have her on me, thanks!

ramyeon

I could have sworn they said they were going to retranslate it for NA...
I mean playing for 5 minutes it's completely obvious it's just the digital version of the asian version (not the translation, didn't have an issue with that, but the game didn't get the normal O and X swap... thus it's screwing me up a lot lol)

my first battle.
hmmm something about timing (mash O) well that worked... hmm I am out... oh if I stand next to an enemy I just continue to attack... something about threat... and reducing it... hmmm try that R1 thing... yup threat down... ok then.
The translation actually looks great for the first bits of the game, it seems like the paid attention and care to certain parts and just left others as is or skipped over them. There's some pretty horrid stuff later on from what I've seen on YouTube videos.

Asked Bandai Namco how much this will cost in Australia on Twitter, no answer.

Holy shit this is complex. I just started and I have like a dozen skills. Am I going to get depowered and be able to learn what the hell risk/switch/burst etc is or am I supposed to keep on trucking and just deal?

ramyeon

Holy shit this is complex. I just started and I have like a dozen skills. Am I going to get depowered and be able to learn what the hell risk/switch/burst etc is or am I supposed to keep on trucking and just deal?
The latter. From my understanding Risk is Aggro. Lv5 Risk means an enemy will attack you primarily and your Burst gauge (Which allows you to use your skills to their fullest) will charge extremely slowly, but the damage you do will increase at high Risk and your partner will be safer. Switch allows you to Switch positions with your partner, making them take the frontline or go to the back. This allows you to lower your current Risk level, meaning your Burst charges much faster and you take less damage but also deal less. You need to be Switching with your partner during battles in order to make the most of your skills.

That's just what I understand from seeing videos, haven't got the game yet so maybe someone else can explain more in depth.

The latter. From my understanding Risk is Aggro. Lv5 Risk means an enemy will attack you primarily and your Burst gauge (Which allows you to use your skills to their fullest) will charge extremely slowly, but the damage you do will increase at high Risk and your partner will be safer. Switch allows you to Switch positions with your partner, making them take the frontline or go to the back. This allows you to lower your current Risk level, meaning your Burst charges much faster and you take less damage but also deal less. You need to Switch with your partner in order to make the most of your skills.

That's just what I understand from seeing videos, haven't got the game yet so maybe someone else can explain more in depth.

Wait seriously? I mean, there are other skill trees but Kirito obviously starts with a massive boost to dual wielding. How are you sposed to change? Hmm.

ramyeon

Wait seriously? I mean, there are other skill trees but Kirito obviously starts with a massive boost to dual wielding. How are you sposed to change? Hmm.
Because it picks up after a certain time in the anime where Kirito is that level and has already amassed a lot of skills with his main dual-wielding style. The level cap is 200 (250 after the patch) so you are definitely able to build up other skill trees.

Because it picks up after a certain time in the anime where Kirito is that level and has already amassed a lot of skills with his main dual-wielding style. The level cap is 200 (250 after the patch) so you are definitely able to build up other skill trees.

What about this "battle skill" section that has close to 100 already unlocked skills o_o;;

6 hours in about a quarter of that time was spent trying to figure out the bridal carry and make it to the inn E. Extreme Big Boss run status to get a very brief scene with Sinon. The other time was spent exploring the Hallow area and man is it huge! It's easy to get lost in once you enter a new area. A little gripe I have is that equipping your partners should be as easy as entering an equip menu and selecting your party member from there. Oh well still a blast to play.

Yukianesa

Neo Member
Question about loot...is there any? I can play a grind for a long time if there are really cool things to grind for.

There is a ton of loot in this game. Chests, some of which respawn, are scattered throughout the map. Bosses also drop gear if you get the last hit bonus.

If you complete an implement for a weapon or armour piece, the corresponding NM/HNM monster will begin to drop the item in question. The drop rate is not 100%, so it may require multiple attempts.

Implements require grinding. Lots of grinding.

The latter. From my understanding Risk is Aggro. Lv5 Risk means an enemy will attack you primarily and your Burst gauge (Which allows you to use your skills to their fullest) will charge extremely slowly, but the damage you do will increase at high Risk and your partner will be safer. Switch allows you to Switch positions with your partner, making them take the frontline or go to the back. This allows you to lower your current Risk level, meaning your Burst charges much faster and you take less damage but also deal less. You need to be Switching with your partner during battles in order to make the most of your skills.

Not quite. Your damage doesn't increase at high risk. If you have high risk level you'll end up taking more damage. The player will do more damage if the enemy has a high risk level.

Top Bottom